ADVERTISEMENT

Freshman Basketball Class Update

UrbanGator41

Swamp Thing
Jun 8, 2006
I was up a Southwest (campus gym) and five players from our imcoming class were running the courts. Adam Allen, Nick Calathes, and Alex Tyus. Two walkons also, I mean no disrepect but I dont know their names. They were playing the "best of the rest", however still not in their league. This is not the most complete coverage, but a upclose look at some individual skill that could be noticed even if they were playing air. First off Tyus.
Pure man beast. He is huge, jumps out the roof, and the ladies were flocking to him.You can tell he has the instincts to be a very good shot blocker if he develops. On the first play I saw Calathes throw him a monster alley opp. He is solidly built and continues the gator trend of big men having handles. He can dribble. Even if the guy guarding him was a bum, while he was dribbling by himself you could tell he has handles. He was shooting outside a lot because it was so unfair for him to go inside. Decent outside shot but nothing to write home about.
Adam Allen
Way thicker than I thought. Looks like he has the body to make it through a tough SEC season. Great overall player, a big man that runs the court and can stroke from outside. Only negatives I saw was he wasnt quick on defense, maybe he was being nice to the bums. He was having trouble dunking in shootaround, doesnt have great explosive verticle, but threw down a sick one hand dunk off one foot, so what do I know?
Nick Calathes
First thing I noticed was he seemed like a natural born leader. He was running the show and the others had no problem letting him. He was getting the ball on breaks and making sick,I mean pure nasty passes. Perfect point guard. He is tall, I am 6' 3, he was my height. I dont know where rivals got the 6' 5 from. Obviously has a great stroke and handles. The one thing that concerns me was he looked real skinny. I think he might have trouble getting pushed around next year. I am sure that he will hit the gym and rememdy that problem.
All in all I was very impressed. Obviously they were playing inferior talent and I tried to keep this in mind during my evaluation. It was real fun to watch though. Hope you find this helpful.
Peace
This post was edited on 7/19 4:15 PM by UrbanGator41if(GetAdminCookie() != 0) {document.write(' (Revisions[/URL])');}
This post was edited on 7/19 9:14 PM by UrbanGator41if(GetAdminCookie() != 0) {document.write(' (Revisions[/URL])');}

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News