ADVERTISEMENT

Franks

GatorNation79

Bull Gator
Sep 27, 2009
Sparks, NV
We've all (me included) been down on the guy but you have to give that young man some credit....guy fought like hell yesterday. I haven't seen a QB run the ball like that at UF since Tebow. Yeah Scarlett/Perine/Toney were freaking awesome but Franks really carried the team.

Guy played with heart...will never be the kind of QB that's going to light it up through the air IMO but the guy stayed in the game and got us that win. Pretty freaking great...I loved his attitude. Guy is a true blue Gator.

Maybe Franks will keep running the ball like that. That is my hope

Maybe Franks will keep running the ball like that. That is my hope
He has more potential running that offense than I (most of us) have thought. If he keeps the attitude he'll be the best player he can be. Even though I think that we can have more upside with someone else I respect the way that he played...kids has some heart and played hard when he was down. That's the reason I started the thread...guy isn't going to be Tebow but nobody will ever be...he played hard, kept the team together...stop the booing...if he's the starter support the guy.

We didn’t use him on those powers and QB counters really all season. I know in a few games in some 3rd and shorts we’d just have him power ahead but it was rare. Hopefully Mullen keeps calling those because at 6’6, 240 he should be able to get 3-4 yards every time and keep us ahead of the chains. And it takes away him having to make a read on an option. It would be similar to that Auburn team with Cam where they’d just demoralize defenses because any time it was less than 5 yards it was an auto conversion. Franks isn’t Cam obviously but the effect could be the same.

At 6’6 240 he should just have to fall forward and he can make 3 yards. LOL

No doubt. Should be an automatic conversion. I'd even run it more on 1st down instead of just 3rd down mostly. Us being in 2nd and 6 all game would open up the entire playbook.

Reactions: seffnergator
At 6’6 240 he should just have to fall forward and he can make 3 yards. LOL
No doubt ? Let’s just shove that pigskin right down their throat? Let me pose this riddle? Who on
Our schedule this year is stopping the run shove it up their ( include your own adjective).

Y'all think he'll transfer or take on a Trey Burton type role? A little QB. A little short yardage type back, and a little H Back/TE?

He needs to bulk up and play tight end. Yesterday's success was for one and only one reason. UF's oline pancaked the Cocks midway through the 2nd quarter till the final ticks.

We've all (me included) been down on the guy but you have to give that young man some credit....guy fought like hell yesterday. I haven't seen a QB run the ball like that at UF since Tebow. Yeah Scarlett/Perine/Toney were freaking awesome but Franks really carried the team.

Guy played with heart...will never be the kind of QB that's going to light it up through the air IMO but the guy stayed in the game and got us that win. Pretty freaking great...I loved his attitude. Guy is a true blue Gator.

Franks:
ZERO passes thrown for 20+ yds, only 2 passes thrown for 15+ yds.
Rushing - 16 for 60, 3.8 ypc, 2 TD's (36 net, 2.3 ypc, 2 Sacks)
15 of 21, but 9 passes were thrown for 5 yds or less, most were behind the LoS.
Most of the passing yards were due to YAC's by the receiver.
=====

Scarlett - 18 for 159 yds, 8.8 ypc (16-21-21-25-28)
Perine - 16 for 107 yds, 6.7 ypc (10-13-16-23 w/2 TD's)
Combined 34 for 266 yds, 7.8 ypc, 2 TD's.

Toney - 4 for 51 yds, 12.8 ypc
Pierce - 5 for 19 yds, 3.8 ypc

Team Rushing - 62 for 367 yds, 5.9 ypc, 4 TD's
Passing - 15 of 21 for 161 yds, 7.7 yds/att, L-19, 1 TD

~ You can beat the weak teams without balance, but not the good teams.
What good is a strong arm, when you have zero completions of over 20 yds?
Sushing Goat boy, sorry, but 'having heart and wanting to win' doesn't make you a starter quality QB....

IMOHO and nothing personal --
Franks didn't carry the team (2.3 ypc),,, the team had to carry Franks, as usual...
He's a Gator, so I wish him well anyway. (don't want to wake up with a horse's head) ;)

I think I've found a way to help out the QB situation (overcome excuses).

1. Franks lacks short throw touch (drills it).
2. Franks often over-throws the receivers.
3. The OL breaks down and he only has 1.6 sec to pass.
4. Not enough time to go through progressions and find the wide open receivers.

Cure -- Replace Buchanan with LS Ryan Farr and drop Franks back to punter depth.
Then his so-called 'STRONG ARM' can become a plus, instead of a minus... :cool:

Franks is also bigger than his NFL TE brother. Franks to another position would benefit all including himself...unless both Jones are duds and Trask never heals from his injuries.

Franks' numbers actually look pretty good. He's on pace for about 20-25 tds, throwing; about 10 picks and another 8-10 tds running. He's big, good athlete and just playing his second season. I don't think it's a given that he's out of the qb picture for next year.

I hear you. I’d rather start new with one of the kids. But everybody’s talking about where he’s going to transfer. I’m sure if you asked him, he thinks he’s going to be the Gators’ starter next year. If he puts up those numbers and wins 9-10 games, objectively it would be tough to argue with him.

Reactions: TennesseeGator
I hear you. I’d rather start new with one of the kids. But everybody’s talking about where he’s going to transfer. I’m sure if you asked him, he thinks he’s going to be the Gators’ starter next year. If he puts up those numbers and wins 9-10 games, objectively it would be tough to argue with him.

Also, you have to expect at least marginal improvement next year from Mullen working with him. If Florida invested 2 more years in him as starter, by 2020 he could be one of the better QBs in the country.

I suspect the play of the other QBs in the Spring will have a big say as well.

Also, you have to expect at least marginal improvement next year from Mullen working with him. If Florida invested 2 more years in him as starter, by 2020 he could be one of the better QBs in the country.

I suspect the play of the other QBs in the Spring will have a big say as well.

If he improved as much next year as he did this year, he'd be one of the better qbs next year. I don't think that's going to happen but I could see both Franks and Mullen thinking that way. I just think he's a bad fit for Mullen's offense. Full credit to him for the way he's improved and played this year. And who knows? With better players around him, maybe we could win the East with Franks.

If he improved as much next year as he did this year, he'd be one of the better qbs next year. I don't think that's going to happen but I could see both Franks and Mullen thinking that way. I just think he's a bad fit for Mullen's offense. Full credit to him for the way he's improved and played this year. And who knows? With better players around him, maybe we could win the East with Franks.

I suspect he probably made more improvement this year than he would the next two.

Hey I get that he's not the best QB in the country and you guys have some QBs on the roster that probably have a higher ceiling than Franks. And who knows who you may add from this class. I just think even if you are 'stuck' with Franks, that as he continues to improve, the offense will be ok with him.

I'm betting that UA and UGly are glad that they didn't have to wait 4 years for a Fr QB to finally become a capable SEC QB.... :rolleyes:

Franks:
ZERO passes thrown for 20+ yds, only 2 passes thrown for 15+ yds.
Rushing - 16 for 60, 3.8 ypc, 2 TD's (36 net, 2.3 ypc, 2 Sacks)
15 of 21, but 9 passes were thrown for 5 yds or less, most were behind the LoS.
Most of the passing yards were due to YAC's by the receiver.
=====

Scarlett - 18 for 159 yds, 8.8 ypc (16-21-21-25-28)
Perine - 16 for 107 yds, 6.7 ypc (10-13-16-23 w/2 TD's)
Combined 34 for 266 yds, 7.8 ypc, 2 TD's.

Toney - 4 for 51 yds, 12.8 ypc
Pierce - 5 for 19 yds, 3.8 ypc

Team Rushing - 62 for 367 yds, 5.9 ypc, 4 TD's
Passing - 15 of 21 for 161 yds, 7.7 yds/att, L-19, 1 TD

~ You can beat the weak teams without balance, but not the good teams.
What good is a strong arm, when you have zero completions of over 20 yds?
Sushing Goat boy, sorry, but 'having heart and wanting to win' doesn't make you a starter quality QB....

IMOHO and nothing personal --
Franks didn't carry the team (2.3 ypc),,, the team had to carry Franks, as usual...
He's a Gator, so I wish him well anyway. (don't want to wake up with a horse's head) ;)
There is no doubt that it was a team effort...we ran the ball all over them but Franks made plays when he needed too. Guy deserves credit...I've never seen him play so physical...I was impressed with his desire to win...regardless of the stats. Stats don't always tell the story.

Don't be surprised if Franks is still the #1 QB next season. Jones may be the guy, but true freshmen QB's start and succeed all over the NCAA these days and if he couldn't pick up the system or develop enough or whatever to win the job against this group of QB's this year, there's a possibility he won't beat out Franks next year. Franks has many shortcomings and Jones was the QB in last year's class that, apparently, Urban Meyer wanted. So he must have a ton of potential. But will that translate into running an SEC offense? This is everybody's first year in the Mullen system and I expect more improvement from all players next year - and that could include Felipe Franks. Time will tell.

Franks is what he is and will not likely ever be much better than he is now, even with Dan custom fitting the offense around him to try and cover-up for his many shortcomings. He's a decent kid, but he'll NEVER be an NFL QB. If he wants the NFL, then he should try to develop as a TE before it's too late for him. As always, JMOHO's... :cool:

2019 it's either Trask rsJr (if healthy), or it's Emory or Jalon.

Update on UF's 2019 QB Jalon Jones 6-3 205 4.45/40 commit:
Richmond (VA) Henrico #6 dual threat QB Jalon Jones:
The four-star has 1400+ yards passing and 500+ yards rushing along with 19 combined TD's. Playing both ways, he's also recorded 6 interceptions this season. Henrico (8-1) takes on Varina in the first round of the Virginia playoffs.

Don't be surprised if Franks is still the #1 QB next season. Jones may be the guy, but true freshmen QB's start and succeed all over the NCAA these days and if he couldn't pick up the system or develop enough or whatever to win the job against this group of QB's this year, there's a possibility he won't beat out Franks next year. Franks has many shortcomings and Jones was the QB in last year's class that, apparently, Urban Meyer wanted. So he must have a ton of potential. But will that translate into running an SEC offense? This is everybody's first year in the Mullen system and I expect more improvement from all players next year - and that could include Felipe Franks. Time will tell.

We are in trouble if that is the case and won't be winning the division. I hope he transfers so there aren't locker room issues over the QB position.

We won't win the SEC until we upgrade at several positions. We need run-stoppers in the defensive interior, we need more and better linebackers and we need more than 1 shut down corner in the secondary. I know we had 2 before Wilson got hurt, but my point is that the secondary needs to get much better. Plus the O-line has to have studs across the front, with depth. Coaching has made us better this year, but we still lack high quality players all over the field, not just at QB.

I think there’s a pretty serious disconnect in the fans’ perception of Franks and the Gator coaches’. I doubt that transferring or switching positions is even in consideration. He may get beat out, but he’s not going to just drop out. Why would he?

I think there’s a pretty serious disconnect in the fans’ perception of Franks and the Gator coaches’. I doubt that transferring or switching positions is even in consideration. He may get beat out, but he’s not going to just drop out. Why would he?
Agree. If we think Mullen is the right hire, we need to trust his judgment. Franks is a QB and can't play any other position IMO. And he's the best we've got now and may be the best we've got next year. We're improving from 4 wins to 8 or 9. Gator fans should be thrilled and have confidence in whatever Mullen & Co. decide.

We won't win the SEC until we upgrade at several positions. We need run-stoppers in the defensive interior, we need more and better linebackers and we need more than 1 shut down corner in the secondary. I know we had 2 before Wilson got hurt, but my point is that the secondary needs to get much better. Plus the O-line has to have studs across the front, with depth. Coaching has made us better this year, but we still lack high quality players all over the field, not just at QB.
No doubt...we aren't winning the SEC for 2-3 years. Mullen and company are doing an amazing jobs, kids are playing their hearts out, things have totally changed but we don't have the overall talent and the depth....it is what it is. I HOPE Jones can take the job but it's possible that he won't. Maybe Franks will keep progressing and keep the job next year...we'll see what happens. I trust Mullen. We finally have a coach that knows that he's doing from front to back. It's the hardest position to develop and recruit for. We'll see what happens but we haven't been the championship kind of team that you need to be to win it all for a decade. If it takes 3-4 years then that's what you can expect, if it happens sooner then great but let's be realistic about where we are at and when we're having a great season. Props to the players and staff IMO.

Agree. If we think Mullen is the right hire, we need to trust his judgment. Franks is a QB and can't play any other position IMO. And he's the best we've got now and may be the best we've got next year. We're improving from 4 wins to 8 or 9. Gator fans should be thrilled and have confidence in whatever Mullen & Co. decide.
100%

Because he is emotional about stuff. If something crazy happens in that FSU game with them being that terrible my guess is Franks will show his butt again afterwards like after the KY and Missouri games and there will be a good chance he moves on. He likes to look at that Twitter stuff and what the fans are saying etc.

Franks has red-shirted as a Fr.
He has since been the starter for 2 years now.
He has been benched 3 times by 2 different coaches, and only returned as the starter due to injuries. :oops:

Anyone with eyes and a functioning brain, that thinks that Franks is, or will be the 'best option' for 2019, is delusional imo. :confused: I've never taken Dan as being delusional. If there is truly not a horses's head involved in the 2018 decision, then by the end of this season, Franks is done as the starting QB at UF. He has had way more than a 'fair chance' to get it done, and continues to come up lacking (benched). o_O

~ Moves to a backup QB role.
~ Changes position, likely as a TE.
~ Xfers out for a different opportunity elsewhere.
I really do wish him luck at whichever option he chooses.

EDIT -- BTW, if Trask can't win the starting job in the Spring, I'd recommend the same 3 choices for him, and I'd also wish him luck in his future.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT