ADVERTISEMENT

Franks/Trask/Jones

GatorNation79

Bull Gator
Sep 27, 2009
Sparks, NV
Franks is cooked like corn bread/Trask tries hard but we will never win much with him...good kid though/if Jones is going to be the guy put him in...let him take his lumps and let's see what happens. That's what I think...I would rather see a freshman make bad plays than a seasoned guy that can't win.

Thing is if Jones is very good the he's not going to stay but a few years anyways. I get bringing the guy along but at this point put the guy in and let's get on with that.

Let Trask finish out and let Franks transfer or he will probably cause locker room issues next season. Jones is the QB next season.

Reactions: nail1988
Who cares. There's hope for Jones but none of them are championship level. We're just buying time until we can get that guy on the roster.

What about Toney? He was a high school QB and he’s got moved like Lamar Jackson. He can’t be much less accurate than Franks.

Reactions: TennesseeGator
At this point I don't think we make a NY6 bowl even of we win out. Unless both UK and LSU lose another game.

So, at that point in the scheme of things what really is the difference between the Outback Bowl or the Music City Bowl? Winning gives a little sense of pride but losing it rarely hurts anything.

15 days of practice. Let Emory take all the #1 reps and start him. See what he has. And how many games has he played this season? 2? If only 2 start him the week of the Idaho game or at least share a lot of reps. Not just the packages, let him run as much of the new offense as possible.

Start Trask against the Cocks and Noles.

Move Franks to TE.

Reactions: nail1988
It is becoming obvious that Mullen isn’t going to burn Emory Jones redshirt at this point. He’s going to save him for next year.

It’s Franks and or Trask for the remainder of this season.

I’ve heard different explanations regarding redshirt rule, is it 2 more regular season games plus bowl game allows him to redshirt or is it only 2 total including the bowl game?

Yes I believe he will likely play in 2 more and that will be it for him. That includes the bowl game as well.
I don't see us making a big bowl game...there is honestly no difference in the Outback Bowl or the Music City Bowl. 15 practices. Let Emory take all the reps and start that game. Also play him a lot vs Idaho.

Trask vs SCar and FSU.

Franks to TE or something.

I don't see us making a big bowl game...there is honestly no difference in the Outback Bowl or the Music City Bowl. 15 practices. Let Emory take all the reps and start that game. Also play him a lot vs Idaho.

Trask vs SCar and FSU.

Agreed

Reactions: TennesseeGator
UF's got some decent running backs but with no one to put a little fear into the opposing defensive backs, linebackers, and coordinators they are rendered useless. I think the spread option is dead temporarily but at least Trask can keep them honest. Complete at least 60% of intermediate routes and the running game will click. Defenses currently have no reason to stop cheating up.

Trask vs SCar and FSU.

Man, I'd swap Idaho and FSU. Whatever is takes to make sure we beat them, and badly, this season.

You guys better prepare for the real possibility of losing to FSU again. It's on the road and this team has shown time and again to be mentally weak. And their wideouts will abuse our secondary if they get even adequate time.

You guys better prepare for the real possibility of losing to FSU again. It's on the road and this team has shown time and again to be mentally weak. And their wideouts will abuse our secondary if they get even adequate time.

I'm optimistic if only for the seeming fact that this team has shown up with insane effort for games they seemed to care about. I can't imagine them not caring about the FSU game.

As an aside, I firmly believe that, one day, we will rightfully and consistently walk all over Missouri, as is our birthright.

QB Season Passing Stats:

Franks - 125 of 225, 55.56%, 1,595 yds, 7.01 yds/att, 16 TD's, 6 Ints, QBR 133.24
(given every time/coaching starter advantage, so Dan, Wake-TF-UP)

Trask - 14 of 22, 63.64%, 162 yds, 7.36 yds/att, 1 TD, 0 Int, QBR 140.49
(sharing backup time/coaching with Jones)

Where would Trask be now if the time and coaching had been invested in him all season?
===========

My preseason wish list (didn't happen) was this:
Trask rsSo
Allen rsFr
Jones Fr
~ Franks rsSo xfer out
=====

To finish the 2018 season:
Trask for SCa and FSU.
Jones for Idaho.
Both for the Bowl game.
~ That gives Jones 4 games played and he keeps a redshirt.

Trask 6-5 234 rsJr- likely starter
-----
The 2 Jones's to battle for backup, and/or maybe for starter.
E. Jones 6-2 199 rsFr
J. Jones 6-3 205 Fr
(in 2020 add in Richardson 6-4 210)
-----
Franks - xfer out would be best outcome for both him and for UF imo.

Last edited:
I would say FSU is very mentally weak as well. I would expect both teams will at least play hard. They do have a better QB so that could be an advantage for them. However their defense is worse than ours. I do think FSU has much more talent than us but they are undisciplined and un organized and look very poorly coached.

I am getting nervous about that myself as many times they up their game quite a bit when playing us at home. FSU has played like crap the whole season and watch them magically play decent against us.

The UF/FSU game is going to go one or three ways...
1. Both teams look fugly and horrible and have the nation wondering"What happened to the state of Florida college football outside of UCF.

2. Both teams are going to look spectacular and have an epic game and the national media is going to think they have turned the corner with new coaches.

3. One team will look spectacular while the other craps the bed.

I'm not the coach but at this point Franks takes zero meaningful snaps in practice. Trask starts vs SCar, Jones vs Idaho. Whoever is more impressive starts vs FSU. If we play Jones vs Idaho and FSU, Start Trask in the bowl game and save the shirt for Jones.

Assuming they're not seeing anything in practice that we're not seeing in the games, I'd look at Trask the rest of the year. Franks just doesn't have what we need at the position (Trask may not either).

Jones will play against Idaho and in the bowl game and keep his redshirt.

Do you think he puts Franks out there with a short leash or will he start Trask?
I think Franks gets the start this week but with a very short leash.
For whatever reason based on what I’ve heard Trask doesn’t know the playbook that well.

Reactions: Gator Fever
I think Franks gets the start this week but with a very short leash.
For whatever reason based on what I’ve heard Trask doesn’t know the playbook that well.

mail

Was anybody seen running away from the 'grassy nole' prior to Trask going down injured Wed? :cool:

Wtf? Trask has to be the most snake bitten player here in recent memory. I’m already angry about watching Franks play the whole game.
We are literally cursed at the QB position. I’ve never seen anything like this.

We are literally cursed at the QB position. I’ve never seen anything like this.

Yea this sucks. Not that I think Trask was the answer or anything but with them determined to keep Emory’s redshirt the only option we had when Franks struggled was Trask. Now they don’t have anybody to turn to unless they say to hell with it and burn the redshirt.

Reactions: seffnergator
Yea this sucks. Not that I think Trask was the answer or anything but with them determined to keep Emory’s redshirt the only option we had when Franks struggled was Trask. Now they don’t have anybody to turn to unless they say to hell with it and burn the redshirt.
Agreed. They aren’t going to burn his redshirt. It’s Franks the rest of the way whether we like it or not. I expect Jones to play against Idaho and in the bowl game

HS Senior Season: Completed 63.7% of his passes (144-226) for 2,006 yards with 15 passing touchdowns and four rushing scores.
  • Metro Conference – Phil King 2015-2016 Athlete of the Year
  • Winter Park HS – Male Athlete of the Year
  • Orange County (Orlando) Senior Bowl – East Starting QB
  • Winter Park HS – MVP 2015 Varsity Football
QB Nick Sproles 6-2 215 rsSo - Winter Park, FL
Didn't he play QB for a few plays in the Spring game?
Is he being used as the 'Scout Team' QB this season?

Plus there are 3-4 others that played QB in HS, Toney being the prime example.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT