ADVERTISEMENT

Flu shot - yay nor nay?

Maybe foolish but I never get them...got myself convinced I'm more likely to get sick from the shot thsn catching flu.

I've received the flu shot twice now with no problem. (the 2nd one just yesterday)

(I also did the shingles vaccine...again, no problem)

I don't see a reason not to get the flu shot. No, you can't get the flu from it (a common concern I hear) and if you have ever had the flu you know you don't want it!

So I say "yay"

Originally posted by Dr. Nole:

I've received the flu shot twice now with no problem. (the 2nd one just yesterday)

(I also did the shingles vaccine...again, no problem)

I don't see a reason not to get the flu shot. No, you can't get the flu from it (a common concern I hear) and if you have ever had the flu you know you don't want it!

So I say "yay"
Thanks, Doc. I always thought you could get the flu from the shot, sort of like the rare instance when someone gets polio from the vaccine.

From WebMD:

Flu Myth #3: The flu vaccine can give you the flu.

This is the flu myth most likely to drive experts
bonkers. "There is simply no way that the flu vaccine can give you the
flu," says Hay. "It's impossible."

Why? For one, injected flu vaccines only contain
dead virus, and a dead virus is, well, dead: it can't infect you. There
is one type of live virus flu vaccine, the nasal vaccine, FluMist. But
in this case, the virus is specially engineered to remove the parts of
the virus that make people sick.

Despite the scientific impossibility of getting the
flu from the flu vaccines, this widespread flu myth won't die. Experts
suspect two reasons for its persistence. One, people mistake the side
effects of the vaccine for flu. While side effects to the vaccine these
days tend to be a sore arm, in the past, side effects often felt like
mild symptoms of the flu. Two, flu season coincides with a time of year
when bugs causing colds and other respiratory illnesses are in the air.
Many people get the vaccine and then, within a few days, get sick with
an unrelated cold virus. However, they blame the innocent flu vaccine,
rather than their co-worker with a runny nose and cough.

Every expert will tell you that you should. Your community would also appreciate the increased "herd immunity" inherent in higher rates of immunizations among the population.

Thanks in advance.
3dgrin.r191677.gif

Originally posted by BringBackBonner:
Every expert will tell you that you should. Your community would also appreciate the increased "herd immunity" inherent in higher rates of immunizations among the population.

Thanks in advance.
3dgrin.r191677.gif
Bonner is a wildebeest!
Wildebeest-herd-gathered-10.jpg

I got my first one ever last year.

I've never had the flu, but at some point I guess the odds will get you, so I plan to get another one this year.
Was worried that it would make me sick, but not a moment's problem.

I've never had a problem with it and I got it again this year. This year though, a lot of people in my office (me included) were a bit under the weather for a few days after. Maybe it's the strain. Who knows? I recommend it though, but a lot depends on your profession too. As an accountant, I can't afford to be down for a week anywhere from December to April.

85-89 in the Military I have gotten every shot in the world. Since then haven't recieved any.......no issues. Can't say I ever got the flu either. I always stayed away from it.

I got one for the first time in YEARS with no ill affects.... in fact, haven't even had the sniffles yet, which is unusual for me this time of yr

Are you sure it's flu? Because the flu lasts longer than a few days.

Also, there's a very nasty strain of bacteria going around right now. I've got it and it's kicking my ass. I have an infection in my ears, throat and sinuses. The drainage is the worst I've ever experienced. It's burning my throat and stomach. The antibiotics aren't helping on that score. I've tried eating the BRAT diet--bananas, rice, applesauce, toast--to no avail. I tried eating yogurt with probiotics to no avail. Tums 1000 and Zantac 150 doesn't touch it. It's a miserable experience.

Well not totally sure, didn't go see a doctor. But I had fever, cough, headache, runny nose briefly, achy all over, cold sweats, and threw up once, and green phlegm. Still not 100% back.

Originally posted by passoverGator:
Well not totally sure, didn't go see a doctor. But I had fever, cough, headache, runny nose briefly, achy all over, cold sweats, and threw up once, and green phlegm. Still not 100% back.
That sounds like an infection which is caused by a bacteria. It can be treated with antibiotics. Flu is caused by a virus which is why you must let it run its course.

Never gotten a flu shot but have s friend in an induced coma in Texas because he got h1n1. Its hitting West Michigan hard so I am rethinking

Originally posted by Ghost of Spaceheater:
I'm allergic to the preservative.
Great reason NOT to get one. For those wondering whether they fit that category, pay attention to the written questions you are required to answer before getting the vaccine. They ask if you are allergic to certain things. My mom is a retired nurse and can't get the current flu vaccine due to allergy. I get the vaccine every year.

That sounds like an infection which is caused by a bacteria. It can be treated with antibiotics. Flu is caused by a virus which is why you must let it run its course.
Yep. I caught the former just after Christmas. Seems like I get that once every year or two. Been over 10 years since I've had any type of flu. *knock on wood*

This is why you should stick to law

Originally posted by gator1776:

Not if he stayed at a Holiday Inn Express...

Originally posted by 93nole99:

Originally posted by gator1776:

Not if he stayed at a Holiday Inn Express...
That's right. And I've stayed at many over the last 15 years.....pretty much an expert on everything.
wink.r191677.gif

A preservative allergy should not prevent you from getting a flu shot. Just ask your provider for a preservative-free shot. The manufacturers make pre-filled single-shot syringes that do not have preservatives (because they are only used one time). Ask your dr or pharmacist and get vaccinated.

Originally posted by Nolepharm:
A preservative allergy should not prevent you from getting a flu shot. Just ask your provider for a preservative-free shot. The manufacturers make pre-filled single-shot syringes that do not have preservatives (because they are only used one time). Ask your dr or pharmacist and get vaccinated.
I think I'm going to listen to the advice of my doc who used to teach internal medicine at UF's medical school over a Nole pharmacist.

Does FSU even have a college of pharmacy or does it share FAMU's like it shares FAMU's college of engineering?

Originally posted by Nolepharm:
I think I'm going to listen to the advice of my doc who used to teach internal medicine at UF's medical school over a Nole pharmacist.

Does FSU even have a college of pharmacy or does it share FAMU's like it shares FAMU's college of engineering?
I'm board certified in internal medicine as well as 4 other specialties and I used to teach internal medicine at UF and 2 other US medical schools and the Nole/FAMU pharmacist is 100% CORRECT. There are various types of Flu shots available, one is a multidose vial type with the preservative thimersol. However, a single dose pre-filled syringe unit is also available that does NOT contain the preservative thimersol b/c it is meant to be used only once after it is opened. Someone who is "allergic" to the "preservatives" in the flu vaccine typically can use the single dose preparation safely.

Again, Ghost, this is why you should stick to law.............

http://www.cdc.gov/flu/protect/vaccine/thimerosal.htm

This post was edited on 2/7 7:33 AM by gator1776

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT