ADVERTISEMENT

Florida professors, students battle over ‘Stop W.O.K.E. act,’ urges Federal court to block law

RayGravesGhost

Bull Gator
Jun 13, 2021
DeSantis's record of anti-American unconmstitutional laws is going to submarine his presidential aspirations

https://www.yahoo.com/news/florida-professors-students-battle-over-195414848.html
Florida professors, students battle over ‘Stop W.O.K.E. act,’ urges Federal court to block law

a0c0dda2feaf8029057e67b969666de2

University professors and students are urging a federal appeals court to uphold a decision blocking a 2022 Florida law that would restrict the way race-related concepts can be taught in classrooms — a law that Gov. Ron DeSantis dubbed the “Stop WOKE Act.”

Attorneys for two sets of plaintiffs filed briefs Friday arguing that the 11th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals should back a preliminary injunction that Chief U.S. District Judge Mark Walker issued in November against the law. The plaintiffs contend, in part, the law violates speech rights and academic freedom.

“Not since the anti-communist measures of the McCarthy era have a state legislature interfered so directly with the academic freedom of university instructors,” said one of the briefs, filed on behalf of six instructors at Florida A&M University, the University of Florida, the University of South Florida, the University of Central Florida and Florida State University. “It was in that period, when legislatures, like Florida’s today, sought to suppress views they disfavored, that the Supreme Court developed the First Amendment principles of academic freedom.”

“Unable to point to a decision holding otherwise, the state spins up scenarios about Nazi sympathizers and racists,” the brief said. “But unlike the state’s imagined hypotheticals, the Stop WOKE Act imposes actual censorship. It foists serious consequences on faculty for unintentional or trivial violations, and imperils millions of dollars of their institutions’ budgets for a single professor’s remark.”

The 11th Circuit has not indicated whether it will hear oral arguments in the case.

The law also placed restrictions on how race-related concepts can be addressed in workplace training. Walker in September issued an injunction against the workplace-training portion of the law — spurring a state appeal that remains pending.

• Haha
Reactions: emekz1 and nail1988
I can't believe DeSantis doesn't want them teaching woke opinions as if they're facts.

The left deserves the right to indoctrinate our young people with their political views.

Did you feel indoctrinated by UF? 🤣

And I guess there are no right leaning professors "indoctrinating" anyone?

Its called learning and how to critically think for yourself

The GOP is too afraid to let you have all of the facts and theories that exist and let you decide

They feel the need to protect & nshield you from certian thoughts & ideas

Reactions: emekz1

The GOP is too afraid to let you have all of the facts and theories that exist and let you decide

Things were different back in the stone age when I attended. Although I did have a humanities professor who was very anti-religion which was shocking to me having been brought up in a Baptist church.

I hope you're not suggesting that college professors don't lean strongly to the left. You may agree with their opinions but that shouldn't be pushed onto the students. That's not learning how to critically think.

Things were different back in the stone age when I attended. Although I did have a humanities professor who was very anti-religion which was shocking to me having been brought up in a Baptist church.

So? Were you indoctrinated or not?

Why do you think you were capable of thinking for yourself but students today cannot?

The indoctrinators are the people pushing this crap like DeSantis & the GOP

I hope you're not suggesting that college professors don't lean strongly to the left. You may agree with their opinions but that shouldn't be pushed onto the students. That's not learning how to critically think.

Did you survive you're perceived "pushing"?

And before you tell us another excuse of going to school in the stone age...

I guess you're going to tell us that you KNOW what happens in classrooms today

While drinking the koolaide on this one...try to think critically (and honestly)

So? Were you indoctrinated or not?

Why do you think you were capable of thinking for yourself but students today cannot?

The indoctrinators are the people pushing this crap like DeSantis & the GOP

Did you survive you're perceived "pushing"?

And before you tell us another excuse of going to school in the stone age...

I guess you're going to tell us that you KNOW what happens in classrooms today

While drinking the koolaide on this one...try to think critically (and honestly)
I was a clueless dingbat just like the students of today but I feel like the colleges of my day stressed being open minded and considering all points of view. That is clearly not the case today.

Reactions: BCSpell
I was a clueless dingbat just like the students of today but I feel like the colleges of my day stressed being open minded and considering all points of view. That is clearly not the case today.

How do you know that?
When was the last time you stepped into a college classroom?

Are they politically indoctrinating the engineering students?
Or maybe the accounting students?

How about the architects...are they being indoctrinated in their course of study?

facts? 😭😭😭 how bout propaganda like the 1619: project which is a absolute lie

I would have to see case law on this stuff and what the law really does but in general I am against restricting speech at Universities and I think the issue that has to be dealt with is these students and professors effectively censoring allowed speech they disagree with by not allowing the people to speak by shouting them down etc. Need a law to yank state funding for not allowing non-leftist speech on campus.

I would have to see case law on this stuff and what the law really does but in general I am against restricting speech at Universities and I think the issue that has to be dealt with is these students and professors effectively censoring allowed speech they disagree with by not allowing the people to speak by shouting them down etc. Need a law to yank state funding for not allowing non-leftist speech on campus.

You have some proof that "non leftist" speech is being blocked in classrooms?

Are non leftist speakers shouted down more than leftists speakers?
You have data to support that?

The bias in your statement is blatantly obvious

If you're against state censorhip then you oppose this DeSantis law

• Wow
You have some proof that "non leftist" speech is being blocked in classrooms?

Are non leftist speakers shouted down more than leftists speakers?
You have data to support that?

The bias in your statement is blatantly obvious

If you're against state censorhip then you oppose this DeSantis law

Show me the video of lefty speakers being shouted down and unable to speak at these universities. If any lefty was ever shouted down it was probably by the lefties there because he didn't go with the religion on something like man made global warming etc.

Show me the video of lefty speakers being shouted down and unable to speak at these universities. If any lefty was ever shouted down it was probably by the lefties there because he didn't go with the religion on something like man made global warming etc.

Conservatives shutting down liberal speakers...and somethimes other conservatives

Sorry to burst your bubble

https://fee.org/articles/the-assault-on-campus-free-speech-doesnt-just-come-from-liberals/
The Assault on Campus Free Speech Doesn't Just Come from Liberals
Conservatives want to paint themselves as free speech stalwarts, but they themselves have been involved in censorship on college campuses.
Saturday, April 6, 2019

Free Speech Is a Two-Way Street​

Numerous examples show that leftists aren’t the only ones against free speech. The elected officials who wanted UC Davis to fire a professor for saying vile things about police officers were Republicans. Then there was the Kansas State University flag controversy, where the GOP governor and several prominent Kansas Republicans asked the university to take down a US flag that was part of an art exhibit because they felt it was disrespectful. Conservative activists also shouted down California Attorney General Xavier Becerra and Assembly Leader Ian Calderon during a 2017 event at Whittier College due to their opposition to the president. Princeton University professor Keeanga-Yamahtta Taylor canceled public lectures at other universities due to death threats she received for her 2017 commencement speech at Hampshire College in which she criticized President Trump. Orange Coast College Republicans campaigned to fire a professor because she said Trump’s election was “an act of terrorism.” She ended up fleeing California, saying she’d been sent death threats.

Perhaps the most egregious example of the right’s anti-speech attitude lies in Liberty University, a private Christian university in Lynchburg, VA. Their president, Jerry Falwell, has repeatedly proclaimed that Liberty University is open to all forms of “free expression” and is a fierce advocate for Trump’s free speech executive order.

Yet his own students have repeatedly been censored. For example, in 2016 Falwell told the campus newspaper, Liberty Champion, that it couldn’t run an anti-Trump column. Falwell and his administration also pressured the newspaper to forego covering the progressive Christian group Red Letter Christians because it was a story “that would have some real negative overtones, undertones, potentials” for Liberty University, according to World Magazine. It’s no surprise, then, that the Foundation for Individual Rights in Education (FIRE) ranked Liberty University one of the worst colleges for free speech.

Conservatives want to paint themselves as free speech stalwarts fighting against liberals who don’t want to hear dissenting opinions.

https://www.insidehighered.com/news...iversities-run-counter-narrative-about-campus
Who Is Blocking Campus Speakers Now?
Incidents at Harvard and Catholic Universities challenge idea that liberals are the only ones preventing ideas from being voiced on campuses.

https://www.nationalreview.com/corner/pro-trumpers-shout-down-liberal-speakers-whittier-college/
Pro-Trumpers Shout-Down Liberal Speakers at Whittier College
By STANLEY KURTZ
October 13, 2017 8:40 PM

• Haha
Conservatives shutting down liberal speakers...and somethimes other conservatives

https://fee.org/articles/the-assault-on-campus-free-speech-doesnt-just-come-from-liberals/
Conservatives want to paint themselves as free speech stalwarts, but they themselves have been involved in censorship on college campuses.
Saturday, April 6, 2019

Numerous examples show that leftists aren’t the only ones against free speech. The elected officials who wanted UC Davis to fire a professor for saying vile things about police officers were Republicans. Then there was the Kansas State University flag controversy, where the GOP governor and several prominent Kansas Republicans asked the university to take down a US flag that was part of an art exhibit because they felt it was disrespectful. Conservative activists also shouted down California Attorney General Xavier Becerra and Assembly Leader Ian Calderon during a 2017 event at Whittier College due to their opposition to the president. Princeton University professor Keeanga-Yamahtta Taylor canceled public lectures at other universities due to death threats she received for her 2017 commencement speech at Hampshire College in which she criticized President Trump. Orange Coast College Republicans campaigned to fire a professor because she said Trump’s election was “an act of terrorism.” She ended up fleeing California, saying she’d been sent death threats.

Perhaps the most egregious example of the right’s anti-speech attitude lies in Liberty University, a private Christian university in Lynchburg, VA. Their president, Jerry Falwell, has repeatedly proclaimed that Liberty University is open to all forms of “free expression” and is a fierce advocate for Trump’s free speech executive order.

Yet his own students have repeatedly been censored. For example, in 2016 Falwell told the campus newspaper, Liberty Champion, that it couldn’t run an anti-Trump column. Falwell and his administration also pressured the newspaper to forego covering the progressive Christian group Red Letter Christians because it was a story “that would have some real negative overtones, undertones, potentials” for Liberty University, according to World Magazine. It’s no surprise, then, that the Foundation for Individual Rights in Education (FIRE) ranked Liberty University one of the worst colleges for free speech.

Conservatives want to paint themselves as free speech stalwarts fighting against liberals who don’t want to hear dissenting opinions.

https://www.insidehighered.com/news...iversities-run-counter-narrative-about-campus
Incidents at Harvard and Catholic Universities challenge idea that liberals are the only ones preventing ideas from being voiced on campuses.

https://www.nationalreview.com/corner/pro-trumpers-shout-down-liberal-speakers-whittier-college/
By STANLEY KURTZ

Saturday, April 6, 2019

By STANLEY KURTZ

Sounds like the stuff was rented and those weren't students shouting down speakers with the approval of the school and professors and of course you should be able to be fired if you say outrageous things publicly to hurt the reputation of your employer.

That's what it sounds like? To who? You?

Its the EXACT same thing the conservative snowflakes are in a meltdown about

Just that the conservative news bubble never reports on conservatives doing it....just liberals

You've been brainwashed

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT