ADVERTISEMENT

Does Dan Mullen even like recruiting?

E3PO

Bull Gator
Gold Member
Apr 28, 2005
When you look at guys like Urban Meyer, Dabo Swinney, Ed Orgeron, or Pete Carroll, you see guys that love to recruit. It's fun for them. In fact, if you look at any great salesperson, you're going to find people that are competitive, love the challenge, and get off on closing. Then there is this guy:

Now, I don't know whether he's just tired or dejected, but this doesn't seem like a dude that's psyched about recruiting. But when you get to the part about bowl practice, and watching film, and meetings, he lights up.

I'm obviously reading too far into this, but I'm starting to get the impression that Mullen isn't into the hunt. He sees recruiting as a necessary means to fielding a team, but not something he'll ever enjoy. And if that's the case, I think that's going to be our biggest problem. If Mullen can't get excited about landing the best of the best, then that culture is going to permeate down through our staff.

I'm not trying to chase him off, but if his passion are X's and O's and strategy, I could see why the NFL might some day intrigue him. In the meantime, Stricklin may need to find a way to motivate him a little more on the recruiting trail.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News