ADVERTISEMENT

DeSantis map ruled unconstitutional for eliminating black people representation

kalimgoodman

Bull Gator
Gold Member
Dec 14, 2012
For the people who think black people are not targeted by laws to suppress their vote or representation. And this is why those laws should remain in place. We are not away from them as we want to believe.

Might be overturned since FL SC is not a lefty heavy court. Not sure what the most recent appeals court rulings say about having districts designed like that.

For the people who think black people are not targeted by laws to suppress their vote or representation. And this is why those laws should remain in place. We are not away from them as we want to believe.

Would this be the gerrymandered district that crosses like six counties?

That may be true killingagoodman, and it may not be true, as no final word or decision has yet been tendered.

"But Smith acknowledged his order, once released, will likely be appealed by state officials immediately. An appellate court could issue a stay on the decision, and it’s possible Smith’s order will be fast-tracked to the Florida Supreme Court or U.S. Supreme Court for review. Democracy Docket, a group run by plaintiff attorney Marc Elias, suggested Smith’s order will be paused during the appeal."

DeSantis has argued the makeup of Lawson’s district violates the equal protection clause of the U.S. Constitution because it was drawn in a way primarily motivated by race. After the Governor’s veto, the Legislature met again in a Special Session and approved a map (P 0109) drawn by the Governor’s staff. That one dismantles Lawson’s district and spreads almost 370,000 Black voters into surrounding North Florida districts.

Smith made clear his decision is based on evidence as presented to date, and a full trial will unfold before any final ruling on the full map will be handed down.

Mohammad Omar Jazil, an attorney for the Secretary of State’s office, leaned into DeSantis’ complaints about racially drawn districts. He said the Lawson district, regardless of whether the Florida Supreme Court implemented it, clearly was drawn with race in mind. The result is a 200-mile district he said cannot meet strict scrutiny requirements because it collects Black voters with little else in common from a wide swatch of the state.

Any configuration of CD 5 that connects disparate Black communities 200 miles apart will eventually be found in violation in federal courts of violating the 14th Amendment of the U.S. Constitution, state attorneys argued. “What we have then, is the non-diminishment provision of the Florida Constitution running smack dab into the equal protection clause of the federal Constitution,” Jazil said.

Last edited:
Reactions: gatordad3

Oh cry me a river. Do you remember the jailbird Corrine's snake like district before she went to jail? I'll be glad to post it (again). 😂

I don’t know Florida demographics, but apart from the curious appendage to district #20, none of those districts look that bad to me….
I'm no expert on district formations, so I'll just let this run it's course and hope that it all ends up correct under the Constitution, and fair to everyone. I like it when everyone is knowledgeable on the issues and everyone votes their conscience with the votes being correct/legal and counted in a timely fashion. When that happens, imo the sovereign citizens get it right most times...

You only point out Gerrymandering when it fits your argument that only evil Republicans do it. Gerrymandering is done to win elections, not racism.

But the fact that the left leaning areas in this case were largely minority and gives you (and the judge here) the coveted chance to call the country racist.

I wish I had video of how giddy you were when you stumbled across this article.

You're not an independent.

You only point out Gerrymandering when it fits your argument that only evil Republicans do it. Gerrymandering is done to win elections, not racism.

But the fact that the left leaning areas in this case were largely minority and gives you (and the judge here) the coveted chance to call the country racist.

I wish I had video of how giddy you were when you stumbled across this article.

You're not an independent.

No. I point out things that impact BLACK people in a negative way. Gerrymander all you want just don't hurt my people. I care about my people like you care about Hunter.

The judge is a republican appointed by Scott and DeSantis. I'm not calling the country racist. Never used the word racist, you did.

The article came from, of ALL places, ABC News; henceforth, it is fake news.

ABC = Absolute Bull Crap

It's fake news what the judge said? Lol. Expand behind "talking points".
The judge is "crying wolf" because he knows he has no angles where Democrats can have unfair advantages during elections. In Louisiana, we AAs are able to vote for our choices of candidates for office as the map is fairly shaped. Some of them get into office, some don't. But our votes matter nonetheless as there's no law in existence that suppresses black voters. Sounds like this Florida judge is trying to prepare for another voter-fraud scam as was shown in 2000 Mules.

Was that you I saw dropping off illegal votes in that dropbox?😂😂😂😂😂

No. I point out things that impact BLACK people in a negative way. Gerrymander all you want just don't hurt my people. I care about my people like you care about Hunter.

The judge is a republican appointed by Scott and DeSantis. I'm not calling the country racist. Never used the word racist, you did.
Discrimination based on skin color is racism. That’s the claim the judge is making and you are parroting.

But once again, that’s changing the subject. Gerrymandering is a tactic to win elections, not discriminate based on color. Your implication indicts you as a leftist, as do most of your positions.

Discrimination based on skin color is racism. That’s the claim the judge is making and you are parroting.

But once again, that’s changing the subject. Gerrymandering is a tactic to win elections, not discriminate based on color. Your implication indicts you as a leftist, as do most of your positions.
Gerrymandering has been going on as long as I've been alive. It's not about skin color, that's retarded. Districts are drawn up based on population numbers. It's only been in the last half century that political affiliations of a population have been considered. THAT is gerry mandering.

Reactions: instaGATOR

Y A W N

This is racist.

I never said racism and don't believe that it is. I don't think DeSantis is racist. I never even said discrimination or gerrymandering. These are all words you are using and adding to the conversation but I'm the one changing the topic?

The far left voters tends to think stuff like this happen alot and the far right voters tend to think stuff like this never happens. They both are wrong. I was pointing out to the far right on this board that it does happen because I was told by people like you, that it doesn't.

It's not racism what DeSantis is doing/did. He is just trying to maintain control by limiting black influence from an area. I get it, but I don't like people limiting black influence. Why should I as a black man like it? Just like you wouldn't like it if white voices were silenced. Not everything is a fight, it's just common sense.

I would never get mad or fight you if you got mad at something that is targeting white men, if you're white. We all love our people and heritage, right?

The judge is "crying wolf" because he knows he has no angles where Democrats can have unfair advantages during elections. In Louisiana, we AAs are able to vote for our choices of candidates for office as the map is fairly shaped. Some of them get into office, some don't. But our votes matter nonetheless as there's no law in existence that suppresses black voters. Sounds like this Florida judge is trying to prepare for another voter-fraud scam as was shown in 2000 Mules.

To your own point, Louisiana didn't try to limit/suppress AA votes. It's not everywhere, or even common but it happens. Just when it does, you would hope we would stand up against it.

You mean people get elected because a majority like their platform and their position on the issues ?
What a concept! What a great idea!
Al Lawson is the current Rep for the district as it is now drawn. Truth be told he’s a nice man who lives in Tallahassee and knows his constituents there. The district was intentionally redrawn to ensure that Corrine Brown’s Jax district would continue to have a black person elected. The white rural folks in Lake City and Live Oak areas are SOL,
and the Jax folks rarely see Lawson - some have complained he doesn’t know their concerns.

You mean people get elected because a majority like their platform and their position on the issues ?
What a concept! What a great idea!
Al Lawson is the current Rep for the district as it is now drawn. Truth be told he’s a nice man who lives in Tallahassee and knows his constituents there. The district was intentionally redrawn to ensure that Corrine Brown’s Jax district would continue to have a black person elected. The white rural folks in Lake City and Live Oak areas are SOL,
and the Jax folks rarely see Lawson - some have complained he doesn’t know their concerns.
Valid point. It used to be a few communities like Green Cove Springs, Palatka and Crescent City that got crapped on in the name of Dimtard voter "inclusiveness". This was Miss Saint Corrine Browns District back before she became an inmate of the State. Look logical and fair to you @kalimgoodman ? 😂 😂 😂 😂

os-interactive-corrine-brown-district-changing-map

goodfellas-laughing.gif

It's fake news what the judge said? Lol. Expand behind "talking points".
This he said/she said. Judge claims unconstitutional, BUT, as the articles even states, Desantis says:
The governor’s office drew up a map it described as neutral on race and party affiliation, and which it said abided by both the state and federal constitutions.

NOW, you want to see jerrymandering, just take a look at MD.
8 Congressional Seats. 99% of the time, it goes 7-1 in favor of Dems. Occassionally, its 6-2.
The Dems recently changed the map and Gov Hogan has been fighting, to guarantee its always 8-0 Dems.

To your own point, Louisiana didn't try to limit/suppress AA votes. It's not everywhere, or even common but it happens. Just when it does, you would hope we would stand up against it.
Yes, but in this case there's no clear-cut, smoking-gun evidence of racial voter suppression on DeSantis's part.

Yes, but in this case there's no clear-cut, smoking-gun evidence of racial voter suppression on DeSantis's part.
It never is. It's about what affiliations certain geographical areas that have ties to certain political parties. Everyone automatically assumes african americans are Democrats. That's changing, but the Dimtards will NEVER admit it. Seriously (and you already know this), what have the Dimtards done for black Americans in the past 30 years?..........other than take them for granted, grifted their voting base, and shitted on them in the process? I know I am preaching to the choir here, but it needed to be said.

It never is. It's about what affiliations certain geographical areas that have ties to certain political parties. Everyone automatically assumes african americans are Democrats. That's changing, but the Dimtards will NEVER admit it. Seriously (and you already know this), what have the Dimtards done for black Americans in the past 30 years?..........other than take them for granted, grifted their voting base, and shitted on them in the process? I know I am preaching to the choir here, but it needed to be said.
Right. And that's why the #BLEXIT Movement was started by Candace Owens. And it's working big-time although you hardly ever hear about it. But more and more AAs are going conservative than ever now.

Is there ever clear cut, smoking gun evidence with anything anymore? DeSantis would never say that was his plan, he isn't stupid and if an aid/assistant said that it was, you guys wouldn't believe them. It's the ugly of politics and yes the Dems are the same way.

Just shocked we finally had a conversation without you calling me names, personal growth 😉.

Right. And that's why the #BLEXIT Movement was started by Candace Owens. And it's working big-time although you hardly ever hear about it. But more and more AAs are going conservative than ever now.
Black people are conservative. That's not new. Candace Owens was never trying to make them conservative, she is just trying to make them trust the Republican party again. There is evidence that she is having success, especially with black men.

Is there ever clear cut, smoking gun evidence with anything anymore? DeSantis would never say that was his plan, he isn't stupid and if an aid/assistant said that it was, you guys wouldn't believe them. It's the ugly of politics and yes the Dems are the same way.

Just shocked we finally had a conversation without you calling me names, personal growth 😉.
The only smoking gun on this entire page is 2000 Mules. I posted a free link, Watch and get back to us.

You are the one trying to discredit her. She's just telling the truth, not spinning like someone else we know. 😂
No, you highlighted her words and laughed like she didn't say that or that its funny that she said it.

Candace Owens is very outspoken about how the Republican party gave up on the black vote and she is trying to help them gain it back.

No, you highlighted her words and laughed like she didn't say that or that its funny that she said it.

Candace Owens is very outspoken about how the Republican party gave up on the black vote and she is trying to help them gain it back.
We'll just have to agree to disagree. She knows a snake when she sees one, and to her it's the Dimtard Party. She's not wrong.

Reactions: kalimgoodman

I typically dont weight in on politics here for obvious reasons but what you said is inaccurate. It only affects black people as they are democrat, typically. Gerrymandering exists to win elections, period. This affects every democrat in those districts, and the state, the same. There is no separate white democrat and black democrat parties being divided.

I'm sorry if you have been convinced to view your skin as your defining feature. If you interpret everything by skin color you can't be upset with someone else doing it too

I never said racism and don't believe that it is. I don't think DeSantis is racist. I never even said discrimination or gerrymandering. These are all words you are using and adding to the conversation but I'm the one changing the topic?

The far left voters tends to think stuff like this happen alot and the far right voters tend to think stuff like this never happens. They both are wrong. I was pointing out to the far right on this board that it does happen because I was told by people like you, that it doesn't.

It's not racism what DeSantis is doing/did. He is just trying to maintain control by limiting black influence from an area. I get it, but I don't like people limiting black influence. Why should I as a black man like it? Just like you wouldn't like it if white voices were silenced. Not everything is a fight, it's just common sense.

I would never get mad or fight you if you got mad at something that is targeting white men, if you're white. We all love our people and heritage, right?
Direct quote:
For the people who think black people are not targeted by laws to suppress their vote”

If ‘targeting’ a race to suppress their ability to have their voice heard isn’t racism I need you to tell me what is. Invoking “by laws” means it’s institutional racism. You went all in with just one sentence. I understand the English language pretty well.

It’s like saying “he forcibly entered her against her consent” isn’t mentioning rape. You literally defined it in your statement. Disenfranchising a group based on the color of their skin is exactly how racism works.

We have the absolute dumbest trolls on the internet.

I'll love to hear how so?
It is because one is distinctly try to draw a district based on....race. You and I agree on a number of things. I happen to be white; you black. If we live in the same geographic area, should we really sit in separate districts?

I have fellow partners at my firm who are Indian, Chinese, Nigerian, Irish, Jewish, Italian, English, German, Straight, Gay, etc. and we agree on 80% of the issues.

Should we all be segregated based on a-priori notions of how we may vote?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT