ADVERTISEMENT

Concerns for 2020 - RB, LB, and maybe OL/DT?

thebowlgame

Baby Gator
May 7, 2020
As an avid sports bettor I like to do my research and came across a this newer site with a 2020 preview from a that looks better and more thorough than most. Local fans usually know what's what but they are helpful for scouting opponents (assuming they are done right). Here is the link:

https://cfbsaturdays.com/2020-florida-gators-preview/

Those Kyle Trask numbers are pretty impressive. Dude is not phased in tough games.

Seems like RB is an obvious concern unless somebody steps up or lingard gets a waiver. WR should be better than most people would expect.

Curious what you think as for as the DT's. I remember them being pretty solid, but not great. Am I off here? Could say the same about LB too, good but not great with Reese gone.

Like I said in the other post, this OL looks better than last year at this time by a lot. Still feels like somebody needs to emerge as a "dude" though.

Anyway, appreciate any feedback and good luck this season. This team is REALLY good even with these potential flaws.

Oh and is there a better duo of game planning/adjustments than Mullen and Grantham??? Phenomenal what they have done.

"I like to do my research" --- (but apparently not that good at researching....) ;)

Offense - Dan - Co-OC's BillyG - Hevesy = 21-5, .808 in 1st 2 seasons.
Defense - Dan - Todd - Top 10 in Nation D's both seasons, 2019 #2 SEC.
Team, ST's, & Recruiting - The entire rock solid coaching and support staff. o_O

QB Trask see 2019 - E.Jones Elite-11, see 2019 - A.Richardson Elite-11 & Netflix QB1
(with Carlos Del Rio and Jalen Kitna in the upcoming class)

RB Lamical Perine 5.4 ypc, 6 TD's, Long-88 yds, is now with the NY Jets
RB Dameon Pierce 5.6 ypc, 4 TD's, Long-75 yds, is now the presumptive starter.
With 3 deep behind Pierce, plus a 4th, a 5 star xfer. seeking a waiver.
EDIT -- NCAA waiver granted for 5-star RB Lorenzo Lingard to play in 2020.

Top 2019 receiver TE/WR Kyle Pitts Jr (54 rec) returns.
WR T.Grimes Sr (33)
WR J.Copeland rsSo (21)
WR/RB K.Toney (10 in 7 Gms due to injuries)
RB M.Davis (6 as the 3rd string backup, now backup to Pierce)

The OL remains a question without Spring, but the depth/quality has been addressed.

DL is a monster in waiting, #1 or #2 in the defense leading SEC.
LB depth and quality is strong, lacking Spring to see the who/where.
Secondary rock solid, again lacking Spring to see the who/where.
Wilson & Elam likely at CB, both were SEC All Fr teams.

Kickers are Top 5 in the Nation, the rest of the ST's are yet to be seen, but always solid under Mullen.
==========

ALL the Gators have to do is beat LSU, UGA, then likely Bama in the SEC-C and they are in the CFP. :eek: --- Does Clem, tOSU, OK, or the LAC-12 Chump have to run a gauntlet like that, or do they just skate through the vast majority of their schedule in route to the CFP?

EDIT - PS
12 of the SEC's 14 teams have been projected to bowl games, leaving on VU and Ark out.
Just 'a walk in the park',,,, right? :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Players always have to 'step up'...I'm not worried. We have great coaches, great talent, a tough schedule and we'll just have to see how the games go. The TEAM changes every year and there will always be questions even if you have the best talent in the country.

UF needs to win the East and SEC...do that and it can be an epic season. I think we'll take UGA and win the East this year...they have had our numbers the last few years but anyone that doesn't think that possible is smoking crack. It will be a good game.

Reactions: instaGATOR
We will be in great shape at running back. We lose Reese at LB, but candidly the younger guys behind him have more upside as evidenced by their play last year, OL is still a huge question mark. More bodies there, but no clue if they are better or not.

Reactions: gatorbuilderorlando
Like I said in the other post, this OL looks better than last year at this time by a lot. Still feels like somebody needs to emerge as a "dude" though.

TBG,

Think you are right about OL - Mississippi State graduate-transfer OL Stewart Reese may be the Dude we are seeking.

Reese gives Florida multiple options - right guard - the position he played at MSU in 2019. or he could compete with Delance at right tackle head-on.

Seems like RB is an obvious concern unless somebody steps up or lingard gets a waiver.

Lingard got waiver, but without spring practice, we don't know how capable he is coming off his injury. Emotional effect of a bad injury can linger on.

IMOHO, the 5 starting OL'men need to mold into a single unit with all 5 stepping up..

There is plenty of room for upperclassman (Heggie-Forsythe-Delance-Reese) leadership to emerge from that group. And there are also a couple of underclassmen that might surprise in 2020, Richard Gouraige and/or Ethan White being my own picks to do so.

While a lack of Spring practice hurt the fans ability to get a look, I don't think that it will end up hurting the 2020 OlL's development that much, but a little early on certainly.
By the end of the @ Tennis-sea game, we should all know... :cool:

TBG,

Lingard got waiver, but without spring practice, we don't know how capable he is coming off his injury. Emotional effect of a bad injury can linger on.

Between the injury and lack of practice, I do not see any way Lingard will be ready to step on a field in September. But maybe by LSU he'll be ready to contribute and by Georgia he can make an impact. Georgia seems a good choice because it's more than half the season and comes after a bye week, the bye is the perfect time to put in a package for him.

Between the injury and lack of practice, I do not see any way Lingard will be ready to step on a field in September. But maybe by LSU he'll be ready to contribute and by Georgia he can make an impact. Georgia seems a good choice because it's more than half the season and comes after a bye week, the bye is the perfect time to put in a package for him.
Seems like I'm the only one who still believes we are in great shape at running back. Personally I think Pierce and Davis gives us the best 1-2 punch in the league.

Seems like I'm the only one who still believes we are in great shape at running back. Personally I think Pierce and Davis gives us the best 1-2 punch in the league.

I like our RB's as well. But having a 5 star with (hopefully still) great speed contributing can only make us better.

Noit so Cg1, I've been a RB believer all along.
And while I also see it as Pierce/Davis early, I also see Clement stepping up in 2020.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT