ADVERTISEMENT

College Football is all messed up!!

PacoGator19

Ring of Honor
Gold Member
Aug 8, 2006
Is this what we wanted? I sure don’t like what it has become and turning into. This NIL and transfer portal is reaking major havoc. All it has become now is “free agency”. If you want to be successful you have no choice but to play the game. Some players are hitting the portal to get better NIL deals, etc & I can guarantee there has been some tampering as well. I can understand guys that aren’t playing much hitting the transfer portal but their are starting QBs and some quality players looking to jump ship likely to just get better NIL deals

We've dealt for many years of the subject of players getting paid, and the worst option of how and what they would get paid has come into effect.

I remember the years when somebody would commonly bring up the idea of paying the players a broad-scale monthly allowance of a few hundred bucks....but it would massively get down-voted by others because tuition and room and board should be enough. Turns out, a ncaa-wide stipend like that would have been a much better option than what we have now.

Tbh, this was a storm brewing that we knew was coming, but chose to stick our head in the sand and thought nothing would happen because it hasnt happened in the last 100 years.

Is paying players that $300 monthly idea great? Probably not, but at least we wouldn't see players playing musical chairs with colleges to this extent while trying to get better deals.

Last edited:
We've dealt for many years of the subject of players getting paid, and the worst option of how and what they would get paid has come into effect.

I remember the years when somebody would commonly bring up the idea of paying the players a broad-scale monthly allowance of a few hundred bucks....but it would massively get down-voted by others because tuition and room and board should be enough. Turns out, a ncaa-wide stipend like that would have been a much better option than what we have now.

Tbh, this was a storm brewing that we knew was coming, but chose to stick our head in the sand and thought nothing would happen because it hasnt happened in the last 100 years.

Is paying players that $300 monthly idea great? Probably not, but at least we wouldn't see players playing musical chairs with colleges to this extent while trying to get better deals.
“Unrestricted” Free agency is what it has become.

“Unrestricted” Free agency is what it has become.

Yep worse than the NFL. No telling what the eventual equilibrium will be for this stuff but we know right now many players are getting way over what their true NIL value is because some rich boosters just want to win at all costs. It will probably take quite a few of them not getting much of a return on wins for some years to get this anywhere near true market NIL value.

This is all an inevitable byproduct of the NCAA refusing to acknowledge that the players are professionals in order to keep the players away from the revenue they generate. They essentially outsourced paying the players to basically unregulated third parties. Then the NCAA gives the players free agency so they don’t get sued. It’s a ridiculous model and is making college sports completely unworkable.

At some point, the ncaa and member schools are going to have to bite the bullet and collectively negotiate a chunk of the revenue to go to the players. Then you can negotiate 2/3-year contracts or whatever. If you want to understand why this ridiculous model persists, go to NCAA headquarters and see how many BMWs are in the parking lot.

This is all an inevitable byproduct of the NCAA refusing to acknowledge that the players are professionals in order to keep the players away from the revenue they generate. They essentially outsourced paying the players to basically unregulated third parties. Then the NCAA gives the players free agency so they don’t get sued. It’s a ridiculous model and is making college sports completely unworkable.

At some point, the ncaa and member schools are going to have to bite the bullet and collectively negotiate a chunk of the revenue to go to the players. Then you can negotiate 2/3-year contracts or whatever. If you want to understand why this ridiculous model persists, go to NCAA headquarters and see how many BMWs are in the parking lot.

Players are getting too much now actually imo and I am sure some crooked lawyers would get the big time recruits/players to sue in court over trying to limit their NIL money. I think having a one year sit out power 5 conference rule might hold up in court also especially if the individual conferences did it. The NCAA/conferences just went nuts imo when that COVID stuff started about letting players go anywhere without sitting out or being removed a year from certain levels/conferences. Problem is now schools like Ole Miss and USC are basing most of their strategy on portal players so the conferences probably won't do anything about it. We have to hope the boosters slow down some as that is the only way now to put a check on some of this crap.

Reactions: PacoGator19
There are no rules. It is complete Armageddon in college football. We went from UT being busted for passing out $ filled McDonalds bags to the NCAA knowingly looking the other way while teams intentionally poach other teams’ players for million dollar “collective” deals in like 2 years…

The sport that sadgator embraced and learned to love in the 90’s is dead. There is no loyalty or stability in any of it. It is very sad.

Yep. Very little player development. The guys like Kyle Trask, Travis McGriff, etc that waited their turn and developed into stars and professionals are long gone. If this was around during the Spurrier days players like Fred Taylor would have never been.

I have no problem with Bryce Young doing a Nissan commercial or kids selling their game used jerseys but this collective stuff is for the birds.

Yep. Very little player development. The guys like Kyle Trask, Travis McGriff, etc that waited their turn and developed into stars and professionals are long gone. If this was around during the Spurrier days players like Fred Taylor would have never been.

I have no problem with Bryce Young doing a Nissan commercial or kids selling their game used jerseys but this collective stuff is for the birds.
Yep no real need to develop players anymore. If you can’t develop them and you have NIL money you can just steal them from the teams that do. This kind of reminds me of European club soccer a little bit. Let the small clubs develop the players and then the big clubs like Real Madrid, Barcelona, Man City, etc just buy them after they have been developed.

The bowls have become worthless. Will ratings go down? Will they go down enough for ESPN to stop paying to show them? That would be the only way any change would happen.

I agree at some point fan interest will start to decrease, ticket sales will decrease, and people willing to give money for NIL could decrease. I just don’t see how this current product lasts. The portal has eliminated program building and player development. It comes down to catching lightning in a bottle one season and making a run.

What I find interesting is Kirby built Georgia pre NIL and pre transfer portal. Is Georgia the last purely built roster? Will it truly be which team catches the handful of transfers, easier schedule, and they can make the run.

The bowls have become worthless. Will ratings go down? Will they go down enough for ESPN to stop paying to show them? That would be the only way any change would happen.

I agree at some point fan interest will start to decrease, ticket sales will decrease, and people willing to give money for NIL could decrease. I just don’t see how this current product lasts. The portal has eliminated program building and player development. It comes down to catching lightning in a bottle one season and making a run.

What I find interesting is Kirby built Georgia pre NIL and pre transfer portal. Is Georgia the last purely built roster? Will it truly be which team catches the handful of transfers, easier schedule, and they can make the run.

Yep we will see if some team can succeed in literally buying a national championship through the portal probably like the Marlins did in baseball a few times years ago. If USC was a little better they would have been a test case on that this season.

Then we have A&Ms experiment to see what happens next season after their attempts to buy one through high school recruits.

Yep no real need to develop players anymore. If you can’t develop them and you have NIL money you can just steal them from the teams that do. This kind of reminds me of European club soccer a little bit. Let the small clubs develop the players and then the big clubs like Real Madrid, Barcelona, Man City, etc just buy them after they have been developed.
Could have said MLB and Yankees/Dodgers/Red Sox just as easily.

Not that anybody here is going to have any love lost for UCF, but the most despicable thing sadgator saw all weekend was back up QB Mikey Keene selfishly bailing on that team in a freaking championship game…

It was so weird and bizarre and sad…it illustrated everything that is terribly wrong in this sport…and it is unfortunately a sign of what is to come for all of us.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/tomlay...him-by-todays-college-football-landscape/amp/

Last edited:
Not that anybody here is going to have any love lost for UCF, but the most despicable thing sadgator saw all weekend was back up QB Mikey Keene selfishly bailing on that team in a freaking championship game…

It was so weird and bizarre and sad…it illustrated everything that is terribly wrong in this sport…and it is unfortunately a sign of what is to come for all of us.
Some on here blaming Napier for Whiitemore leaving team. Well I hold him accountable for bailing out on his teammates. If that is his character then so long...

CFB is a microcosm of everything wrong in our society right now. There is no loyalty to anything. Everybody is looking for the easy way out and for what benefits themselves…hardly anyone sacrifices for the good of others…

Loyalty, hard work, and dedication mean everything to sadgator…you wanna know what dedication means to sadgator…he has been a loyal member of this Board for 20 years…sadgator stayed here and hung in even when it was only Denirogator and sadgator posting here, both blaming the other for the lack of traffic and fighting everyday about issues like what kind of hats Larry Fedora actually wore….

CFB is a microcosm of everything wrong in our society right now. There is no loyalty to anything. Everybody is looking for the easy way out and for what benefits themselves…hardly anyone sacrifices for the good of others…

Loyalty, hard work, and dedication mean everything to sadgator…you wanna know what dedication means to sadgator…he has been a loyal member of this Board for 20 years…sadgator stayed here and hung in even when it was only Denirogator and sadgator posting here, both blaming the other for the lack of traffic and fighting everyday about issues like what kind of hats Larry Fedora actually wore….

I don't disagree with anything you've said, but I will add that the lack of loyalty and dedication in college football was always evident, even much further than just the last couple years.

I'm referring to the position of head coaches. These are people who commonly jump ship from a program at the first opportunity of something better, regardless of how many years are left on their contract. There are even coaches who leave after one year at a specific college.

How many times do you suppose that recruits feel misled and lied to? To make it even worse, I can't recall how many recruits lost great opportunities at other colleges because some coach dipped out on the school and now the new head coach won't honor the recruitment offer.

Ironically, a school will have to buy out a HC if he gets fired early. However, if he leaves early by his own choice than he doesn't face any penalties.

What we are seeing now by the players? It's just mimicking the coaches' actions that we've just accepted.

Loyalty has always been lacking in college football,by and large.

Last edited:
Basically you got 6-8 teams who will win it all every year until some Billionaire comes in and buys a winner.

Reactions: fsu939913
I don't disagree with anything you've said, but I will add that the lack of loyalty and dedication in college football was always evident, even much further than just the last couple years.

I'm referring to the position of head coaches. These are people who commonly jump ship from a program at the first opportunity of something better, regardless of how many years are left on their contract. There are even coaches who leave after one year at a specific college.

How many times do you suppose that recruits feel misled and lied to? To make it even worse, I can't recall how many recruits lost great opportunities at other colleges because some coach dipped out on the school and now the new head coach won't honor the recruitment offer.

Ironically, a school will have to buy out a HC if he gets fired early. However, if he leaves early by his own choice than he doesn't face any penalties.

What we are seeing now by the players? It's just mimicking the coaches' actions that we've just accepted.

Contracts now days literally aren’t worth the paper they’re written on. Hugh Freeze signs a contract extension. Now what good was that?

I see your points but with no sit for a year free agency it's gotten totally crazy. It's really going to accelerate the big booster motivated schools to raid the schools where the boosters aren't so motivated either. PAC 12 teams and some Big 12 teams like that will routinely be raided of starters that showed they could play well. ASU lost their QB and a few others including Pearsall because they wouldn't put up much NIL. The only thing the schools get now I think is the player at a certain date loses their guaranteed scholarship in the portal. I think the only overall good thing out of this mess now is unproven players being able to go and fight for starting positions easier but without some sit for a year rule that allows the bad parts to get out of control.

Contracts now days literally aren’t worth the paper they’re written on. Hugh Freeze signs a contract extension. Now what good was that?

I think any college(A) who poaches a coach from another college(B) with years still left on his contract should pay a certain amount to college(B) for each year that's unfulfilled.

Maybe 2 million = 1 year....4 million = 2 years.

Im sure something in the contract could specify that. College(B) could decide how much per year in the contract before the coach signs.

It would have to be enforced by the NCAA, I'm sure.

I think the only overall good thing out of this mess now is unproven players being able to go and fight for starting positions easier but without some sit for a year rule that allows the bad parts to get out of control.

Yeah, that does seem to be the only upside/eliminate the effects of favoritism.

Reactions: Gator Fever

Great post. So true. Can’t blame the kids for paying attention.

NCAA should be treating this as a full-blown crisis and trying to figure out a structure that works. My friends are the hardest of hard core Gator fans (like most on here I’m sure) and they are all losing interest in Gator football and basketball. Instead NCAA is just asleep at the switch. They are a disgrace.

Is this what we wanted? I sure don’t like what it has become and turning into. This NIL and transfer portal is reaking major havoc. All it has become now is “free agency”. If you want to be successful you have no choice but to play the game. Some players are hitting the portal to get better NIL deals, etc & I can guarantee there has been some tampering as well. I can understand guys that aren’t playing much hitting the transfer portal but their are starting QBs and some quality players looking to jump ship likely to just get better NIL deals
Greed breeds contempt. You nailed it with the OP. A bridge too far.

Kind of to be expected. I'm sure in the next 3 years we'll see some rules formulate around NIL that will keep kids from just jumping around. To much craziness for the Universities.

It is what it is and none of us like it. But what really burns me is players quitting in the middle of the season. How many did we have who announced mid-season they were transferring out and never played after that? That's classless to me, regardless of the reasons. Finish the season, keep your mouth shut, keep working and afterwards do what you want. But quitting the team in the middle of the year just shows a bad character flaw in my way of thinking and not somebody I would want on my team anyway.

It is what it is and none of us like it. But what really burns me is players quitting in the middle of the season. How many did we have who announced mid-season they were transferring out and never played after that? That's classless to me, regardless of the reasons. Finish the season, keep your mouth shut, keep working and afterwards do what you want. But quitting the team in the middle of the year just shows a bad character flaw in my way of thinking and not somebody I would want on my team anyway.
This has been a problem with this team for several years now. Hopefully coach Napier is weeding out this type of character.

The child is never supposed to have dominion in the home.

The child is never supposed to have dominion in the home.
Don’t agree with this comparison. Big difference is nobody in a college program GAF about these kids except to the extent they can profit from them. These athletes rightly perceived that loyalty was expected to be a one-way street and rejected it. As the saying goes, don’t hate the player; hate the game.

Don’t agree with this comparison. Big difference is nobody in a college program GAF about these kids except to the extent they can profit from them. These athletes rightly perceived that loyalty was expected to be a one-way street and rejected it. As the saying goes, don’t hate the player; hate the game.
I don't care if you agree with it or not. When you allow inmates to run the asylum you have chaos.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT