ADVERTISEMENT

Can someone explain

G8RMark

Gator Great
Jan 25, 2003
why the NCAA has an issue with legal OTC supplements? I've never really understood this. Some people at work said "It gives them an unfair advantage" How ?? ANYONE can purchase them at almost any GNC or other place. They are not illegal. They are not like HGH or anabolic roids. So what is the issue??? Smoke weed, steal crab legs, or punch a chick. Those actions have a legal precedent associated with them. And you get just a game or two suspension. Or maybe just the first half. But you take something perfectly legal and you're out for a year. Doesn't make sense. But I never expected logic from the NCAA ( National Communists Against Athletes) for those of you old enough to remember this.

B/c doing things that can affect the outcome of the game, rightly or wrongly, are perceived as greater offenses than crimes that are unrelated to the game.

Think Pete Rose's lifetime ban from baseball for gambling vs Daryl Strawberry getting popped for drugs 40 times and still getting to play.

We don't KNOW what exactly he tested positive for, or why he was taking it, just to be honest about the situation.

Reactions: 120North
B/c doing things that can affect the outcome of the game, rightly or wrongly, are perceived as greater offenses than crimes that are unrelated to the game.

Think Pete Rose's lifetime ban from baseball for gambling vs Daryl Strawberry getting popped for drugs 40 times and still getting to play.
I get that for something like illegal drugs and illegal gambling. But for OTC stuff??? And it seems these rules or banned lists are a moving target.

If I am not mistaken a fair amount of product sold at GNC is not approved by the FDA. Could that be an issue? That is assuming he bought from them. It has gone from flu meds to GNC so I think we are all grasping for info.

I get that for something like illegal drugs and illegal gambling. But for OTC stuff??? And it seems these rules or banned lists are a moving target.

its not a moving target, in that the training staff knows exactly what is OK, and what isn't...like McE said, they preach on a regular basis to all players to never take anything without their approval.

PEDs should be against NCAA rules regardless if they are legal or not. On one hand, a year sounds like overkill but, on the other hand, the rules were in place....they didn't just make them up yesterday.

We can all agree you follow the rules, regardless of what they are. You can however, discuss such rules if you think they are a little bit out there. I'm not sure what an OTC supplement could do that would make you super man and put you at an unfair advantage

Then the NCAA needs to ban weights and weight lifting as this creates an unfair advantage. I think this is an example to what the op was saying. Supplements do no create an unfair advantage, period. It has never been proven that they do.

We can all agree you follow the rules, regardless of what they are. You can however, discuss such rules if you think they are a little bit out there. I'm not sure what an OTC supplement could do that would make you super man and put you at an unfair advantage

I agree but the NCAA doesn't hold the "minority" colleges like FSU to the same standards. :cool:

Reactions: DLinOrlando
why the NCAA has an issue with legal OTC supplements? I've never really understood this. Some people at work said "It gives them an unfair advantage" How ?? ANYONE can purchase them at almost any GNC or other place. They are not illegal. They are not like HGH or anabolic roids. So what is the issue??? Smoke weed, steal crab legs, or punch a chick. Those actions have a legal precedent associated with them. And you get just a game or two suspension. Or maybe just the first half. But you take something perfectly legal and you're out for a year. Doesn't make sense. But I never expected logic from the NCAA ( National Communists Against Athletes) for those of you old enough to remember this.
I matters as an academic argument. But those are the rules. The same argument can be made regarding selling signed autographs, selling jerseys and selling your own likeness.

So is it true this was banned only two weeks before he was tested ??
Thomas Goldkamp @ 24/7 has some pretty good articles about all this. Whatever he tested positive for, he took it at least a month ago. He had to be positive in two samples taken at the same time, call them "A" sample and "B" sample.

The "A" sample is tested first. If the "A" sample tests positive, usually takes 2 weeks after the sample is taken, then a test is done on the "B" sample. If that tests positive for PEDs, then I think it is an automatic NCAA 1 year suspension, subject to appeal, I guess.

This might be why there was some chatter a few weeks ago that Grier failed a PED test.

This is just an opinion on some OTC supplements that can be had and not necessarily about what Grier may or may not have taken but some of those carry harsh side effects. I looked into some of the legal prohormones at one time because of the way the liver processed it into what is basically an anabolic steroid. It was legal due to the way the manufacturers constantly changed the chemical properties of the supplements to stay one step ahead of a ban on their product. However, they still carried all the potential side effects of taking the real stuff which is the reason I didn't take it.

Read the forums and you will see that loads of people absolutely don't care if they get acne, male patterned baldness is accelerated, risk of gyno and stunted natural testosterone production which is supposedly an increased risk when you are still young.

The government finally found a way to ban them and I think SARMS are one alternative that some people are using. The side effects are supposedly less harsh than prohormones/steroids but it is still recommended to use meds for post cycle therapy from the article I read. There is also the risk of yellowed vision which sounds like it would sorta suck.

I think people tendencies to get a abuse these products is reason enough for a ban. Student athletes, or any athlete, shouldn't have to risk some weird side effects to keep up with someone who doesn't care.

I don't usually post here.......just read opinions and comments. But I must say karma is a beeatch.

This is just an opinion on some OTC supplements that can be had and not necessarily about what Grier may or may not have taken but some of those carry harsh side effects. I looked into some of the legal prohormones at one time because of the way the liver processed it into what is basically an anabolic steroid. It was legal due to the way the manufacturers constantly changed the chemical properties of the supplements to stay one step ahead of a ban on their product. However, they still carried all the potential side effects of taking the real stuff which is the reason I didn't take it.

Read the forums and you will see that loads of people absolutely don't care if they get acne, male patterned baldness is accelerated, risk of gyno and stunted natural testosterone production which is supposedly an increased risk when you are still young.

The government finally found a way to ban them and I think SARMS are one alternative that some people are using. The side effects are supposedly less harsh than prohormones/steroids but it is still recommended to use meds for post cycle therapy from the article I read. There is also the risk of yellowed vision which sounds like it would sorta suck.

I think people tendencies to get a abuse these products is reason enough for a ban. Student athletes, or any athlete, shouldn't have to risk some weird side effects to keep up with someone who doesn't care.

So the NCAA takes away free will and a persons choice and. Gotcha ... And again this is not just about Will. This is about all athletes.

So the NCAA takes away free will and a persons choice and. Gotcha ... And again this is not just about Will. This is about all athletes.

Absolutely! You accept that scholly and play sports, they own you.

I don't usually post here.......just read opinions and comments. But I must say karma is a beeatch.

I think what this opportunistic poster is attempting to espouse is that because Gator fans felt that Jameis should have been punished more severely for his repeated nefarious activities, Grier being suspended is some sort of payback from the universe.

Apparently, no other fanbase felt that Jameis suffered very light discipline for his off the field incidents.

Apparently, he is unable to articulate the point other than the cliche he posted....which really is not even applicable. He would have been better off with this:

hqdefault.jpg

Reactions: GatorGray
[QUOTE="Coonhound1, post: 411737, member: 7682"]I don't usually post here.......just read opinions and comments. But I must say karma is a beeatch.[/QUOTE]

Of course you don't, and you may not be posting here much longer

This ... in other words it is for the students safety. items sold at GNC can change constantly and are not regulated. This it is not illegal for them to put substances in the powder / pill that are not listed on the product content or it can dramatically different % than what is stated. Me and you can take our chances but it is too risky for students. Also some university may be located close to manufacturing facilities. Any maybe they would get enhanced version of the "legal" substance at their GNC .. anyway they NCAA just nixed it and it is what it is.

Sorry for the post and run. To explain.....because I guess, I (need) to. It is almost like clockwork that when a fan base, ( yours, ours, or anyone's) revel in another teams misery. Seems Karma always finds them.

Sorry for the post and run. To explain.....because I guess, I (need) to. It is almost like clockwork that when a fan base, ( yours, ours, or anyone's) revel in another teams misery. Seems Karma always finds them.
No, we get that. We are trying to figure out what is the bad karma/misery that has befallen your team.

It does seem VERY stupid to me. I'm not saying this because this happened to a Gator but the NCAA is a corrupt organization. The way that they punish people and don't punish others is so inconsistent...it just drives me crazy. I could make a hundred comparison but look at the Cam Newton thing...guy was clearly paid money to go to Auburn and NOTHING is done...I mean not only does the NCAA not do anything during the season but Cam wins the Heisman and then after that it just all goes away????!!!???

Am I the only person that is still wondering about WTH the NCAA is going to do about that? I seems very convenient that NCAA doesn't answer any questions about that or talk about anything that's "under investigation"? I often wonder if how the NCAA handles things is criminal.

This is an around-the-clock activity for a lot of sports fan the world over.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT