ADVERTISEMENT

FB Recruiting BREAKDOWN: What's next for the Gators after missing on Jaleel Skinner?

Corey Bender

Administrator
Mar 26, 2018
With Jaleel Skinner off the board, I thought it was a good time to reevaluate UF's tight end board and where the Gators will go from here.

Let's start with Oscar Delp, the nation's top-ranked tight end.

The Georgia native is primarily focused on Florida, Georgia, Michigan, South Carolina, Clemson and Alabama. Each of those schools received a visit during the month of June, with the Tigers and Crimson Tide having received unofficials.

In my opinion, landing Delp is a long shot. Georgia has been considered the front-runner for quite some time, and while the Gators definitely made an impression during their official visit, I believe their chances have dwindled over the last month. Delp would thrive in UF's offense; there is no doubting that, but it seems his relationships with other schools, especially Georgia, are much stronger at this point and that has been key. Brewster is still prioritizing him though.

That leaves us with Mason Taylor, a Rivals250 prospect from St. Thomas Aquinas and the son of NFL Hall of Famer, Jason Taylor.

While the Gators certainly made a very strong impression during their unofficial visit, I still think it's a tad early to label them as the front-runner.

Let's not forget that Alabama and LSU offered that same week as well, while schools like Miami, Texas A&M and Auburn previously offered too.

If the Gators miss out on Delp as expected, Taylor would then be the top tight end on the board. Taylor was taken aback during his trip to the Swamp and plans to return for an official visit. Earlier this week, he told me there is a possibility he attends Friday Night Lights as well.

The South Florida native also really clicked with the staff, especially Tim Brewster, and said it was surreal setting foot inside the stadium. It's a little early to say Florida is the No. 1 school, but the SEC program is definitely very high on his list though. This is definitely one to keep an eye on.

Nothing is guaranteed in recruiting though, so what if the Gators miss on Taylor as well? Unless another tight end is offered, I would then expect Florida to sign four wide receivers. That's what I've been hearing all along.

Four-star prospects CJ Smith and Isaiah Bond are already on board. While Bond took several official visits in June, he seems locked in with the Gators, while Smith told me earlier this week his recruitment is completely shut down.

As for Evan Stewart, the Rivals100 prospect out of the Lone Star State, we were recently told he's a take regardless of the amount of receivers in the class. He's one of those talents you can't turn away and the Gators remain in a great spot right now. I'm favoring them in his recruitment.

Then you have four-star prospect, Jayden Gibson, who has family ties to the university and has been trending toward the Gators for months. Miami, Georgia, FSU and Baylor are some additional schools in the mix, but it's difficult to not favor Florida at this point. He's a top priority for the program and that's been the case since an offer was extended.

If Florida signs four wide receivers, I think a quartet of Bond, Smith, Gibson and Stewart is most likely. If UF reels in Mason Taylor at tight end, then the program could possibly sign two tight ends and four receivers considering how high Stewart is on the board.

It's going to be interesting to see how everything plays out. Florida definitely has options right now, although missing on Delp and Skinner is a stinger considering the amount of time dedicated to them.

As always, stay tuned.

- CB

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News