ADVERTISEMENT

Book, "Killing Skunk Alpha" and Roger Staubach

dc1gator

Bull Gator
Gold Member
Dec 5, 2004
I was stationed in Chu Lai, Vietnam on a Swift Boat with the author of the referenced book. Football wise, while in Chu Lai, Swift Boat sailors played a game of flag football against the sailors stationed on shore duty there. Their quarterback was the 1963 Heisman Trophy Winner, Roger Staubach. The game ended with me burying my face in the sand with the winning TD tumbling out of my outstretched hands with an over the shoulder catch (or should I say, drop). :) My team wound up with a 0-0 tie against Roger and his team. The location we played in Chu Lai was called, "Staubach Stadium." This book, "Capturing Skunk Alpha," is one of the best books written about the Brown Water Navy and Swift Boats in particular. The author, Raul Herrera, from San Antonio, Texas did a masterful job of compiling from his own notes and extensive research over a 5 or 6 year period to finally get his book published. If you purchase this book, pp117-127 is dedicated to a battle called, "The gunfight at Co Lay Corral" that was about my Swift Boat (PCF-99). I was the Chief of the Boat. If you read it, I will let you try to figure out which sailor was me. :) Swift Boats had a crew of 6 men that were trained together in San Diego and remained together during their tour in Viet Nam. I am still in touch with most of my crew.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News