ADVERTISEMENT

Bill James Doesn’t Bunt in the 7th Inning AND NOW YOU KNOW WHY!!

gator1776

Ring of Honor
Gold Member
Jan 19, 2011
Will start by saying that hindsight is always 2020 and that Sully knows more about managing a baseball team than I do……….but………

Bill, James originally argued against the sacrifice bunt dating back to 1977.

In general, Sabermetrics argues against bunting.
The stance against bunting by statisticians has softened a little through the years in certain situations to avoid a double play, when there’s a high percentage of a double play.

However, with a runner on second base, and nobody out, there is no traditional risk for a double play. In that situation, sabermetrics would say don’t bunt, don’t give up the out, “swing away.”

Sully has a very old-school mentality when it comes to moving the runner over. Given our lack of offense up until the seventh inning, and having a runner on second base, with nobody out, I contend that his decision to sacrifice bunt the runner to third was a bad decision, it gave us a second run, but it took us out of the possibility of a big inning.

Now some baseball purist may say that Sully knows more about baseball than Bill James. I will simply point out that Bill James has four World Series rings in 17 seasons with the Red Sox.

Thoughts?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News