ADVERTISEMENT

best of luck the rest of the way (but please fire Nussmeier)

blockm2

Baby Gator
Jul 9, 2001
I've always enjoyed the mostly intelligent discussion on this forum over the years before our rare matchups of which we have fortunately been getting the better of.

Nussmeier just isn't good at being an OC. I chuckled when Florida hired him and I'd can him tomorrow.

I felt the game itself went mostly as expected, or at least as I expected it to go. All the talk all summer about 10 new starters for Michigan's defense masked that none of them were freshmen and quite a few of them had done very well in backup roles previously. That they dominated a Florida offense that was horrible last season should have been expected. When Michigan had the ball I knew Florida's front 4 would give us trouble with the pass rush and they did as RT Nolan Ulizio really struggled 1 on 1. I also thought the Gators did a mostly admirable job against runs between the tackles, but they sold out inside too much and got gashed on the edge when Michigan bounced it. I obviously didn't expect Speight to throw the 2 pick 6s, but I only really fault him for the one horrible throw. Overall a subpar day for him as he missed too many open receivers and he will have to clean it up. Special teams were basically a push which was also something I expected (and got laughed at for), although both teams can say they will likely be better in that area the rest of the way.

@LizardGrad89 had too many priceless predictions the last few weeks, but I liked this one...
"Your defense is predicated on assignment football. You can't be that aggressive unless everybody knows exactly what to do, because one player out of position equals 6 points. With 10 new starters, expect a lot of them to be out of position. They simply aren't used to playing together as a unit. I HOPE AND PRAY your defense comes out in full pressure mode, UF will drop 50 on you."

Unfortunately you didn't realize that having new starters doesn't mean they can't be well coached and aggressive and successful. Don Brown is the best DC in the country as far as I'm concerned and this will probably be his 3rd straight top 5 defense including his last season at BC. Michigan's front 7 is LOADED with speed and talent and the safeties are both really good despite being new.

@instaGATOR unfortunately your fetish with typing out heights, weights, preseason voting tabulations, and high school biographies of each player doesn't make them any better. Listing those HS accolades of your offensive linemen didn't make them stop sucking, nor did your enjoyment at listing scores against Iowa last season have anything to do with anything.

On a side note, did McElwain really spend the offseason talking about how the Gators offensive line was the best unit on the team? WTF? Did reporters actually believe him without questioning it? If you ask me the DL is the best unit on your team. WRs were also very impressive considering Callaway was out. Those young kids had a number of highlight reel sideline catches yesterday despite being covered pretty well.

Michigan didnt do anything special. Our offense was ranked 116 last year and got dominated repeatedly. Your QB was 11 for 25 so very efficient and your backs did a great job bouncing outside. Our D was gassed. Same thing that happened last year. Unfoftunately we arent a measuring stick for your season, but Im thinking 2-3 losses for you guys as every remaining team on your schedule will be better offensively than Florida. Good luck this season.

Michigan didnt do anything special. Our offense was ranked 116 last year and got dominated repeatedly. Your QB was 11 for 25 so very efficient and your backs did a great job bouncing outside. Our D was gassed. Same thing that happened last year. Unfoftunately we arent a measuring stick for your season, but Im thinking 2-3 losses for you guys as every remaining team on your schedule will be better offensively than Florida. Good luck this season.

Michigan overcame two pick 6's, an incompetent ref. taking 7 off the board on their first drive, a blocked punt in their own territory, two missed field goals and still thoroughly manhandled one of the top SEC favorites in the east that had the nations longest first game winning streak. So rightfully be down on your team...but downplaying Michigans dominance in this game is pathetic. Couple of changes to tighten things up on Michigan's side and the Gators lose by 30+.

Unfoftunately we arent a measuring stick for your season, but Im thinking 2-3 losses for you guys as every remaining team on your schedule will be better offensively than Florida. Good luck this season.

Fortunately for Michigan they might be 14+ pt favorites in every game except 3 coin toss games the rest of the season (@ PSU, @ Wis, and home vs OSU). Based on how the defense obliterated Wisconsin and Penn State last season I kinda like our chances of being undefeated deep into the season.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT