ADVERTISEMENT

Athlon Sports rates UF-UGA Talent - UGA QB (Whoever He Is) Rated #1 in SEC

Jeff from Jax

Gator Great
Dec 2, 2004
Jacksonville, FL
I think Athlon Sports publishes several different geographic issues; this is probably from one centered on the deep south - perhaps just Florida & Georgia. Last I heard UGA had not even announced a starter at QB; Trask a returning starter with best overall stats in SEC.

Obviously designed to generate controversy ! LOL.

"...A look at the numbers… the magazine goes on to rate each unit of a team based on their spot in the SEC. For instance, the top quarterback unit would be ranked 1 and, the bottom QB unit in the SEC would be 14."

Here are the comparisons:

QB: UF (2), UGA (1) - WTF ?

RB: UF (11), UGA (2)

WR/TE: UF (3), UGA (4)

OL: UF (7), UGA (4)

DL: UF (3), UGA (1)

LB: UF (9), UGA (1)

DB: UF (3), UGA (2)

https://247sports.com/college/flori...lorida-UGA-Gators-Georgia-Bulldogs-148132560/

I think Athlon Sports publishes several different geographic issues; this is probably from one centered on the deep south - perhaps just Florida & Georgia. Last I heard UGA had not even announced a starter at QB; Trask a returning starter with best overall stats in SEC.

"...A look at the numbers… the magazine goes on to rate each unit of a team based on their spot in the SEC. For instance, the top quarterback unit would be ranked 1 and, the bottom QB unit in the SEC would be 14."

https://247sports.com/college/flori...lorida-UGA-Gators-Georgia-Bulldogs-148132560/

Athlon evidently works like a UGa fan. Looks at recruiting rankings but not at reality.

No worries. Those rankings are laughable and after we see reality they will be laughed about.

The funniest:

1. UGa #1 QB. Not just the funniest this year, might be the biggest laugh of the last decade.
2. UGa #4 WR/TE. Big laughs as well. One decent WR returning.
3. UGa #2 RB. No returning starters, first guy up coming off two knee surgeries.
4. UGA Oline #4. One returning starter. C'mon.
5. UF RB #11. This would make sense if UGa, with less returning experience, wasn't #2. No matter what criteria you use, they shouldn't be 9 spots apart. Georgia should be at most 2 spots ahead, and could easily be ranked behind. We also have a 5 star RB on the roster coming off surgery. That seems to qualify you for at least #2.
6. Oline UF #7. Four returning starters from a decent line last year. Easily top 5 if not top 3.

The more you look, at it, the more you realize Athlon has taken none of the Covid situation into account, cares nothing for loss of experience, but is only concerned with recruiting stars. It would be fun watching these insane predictions blow up in their face, except nobody cares about predictions once the season starts, so it will be ignored and forgotten.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jeff from Jax
Looking at the 2020 player position rankings of the Georgia Bulldogs at least in Athlon Sports’ vantage point, it appears that Florida Gators shouldn’t have a chance in the ‘World’s Largest Outdoor Cocktail Party’ in Jacksonville on October 31. But despite a huge disparity in what they believe the talent level at almost every position, the magazine that is one of the hottest sellers in the summer every year, has the Gators beating Georgia and playing for the SEC Championship.

Just looking at this and what the editors at Athlon Sports might be thinking, it seems this is either a huge endorsement of the coaching ability off Dan Mullen and his staff, or it is a huge indictment of the coaching ability of Kirby Smart and his staff.

Spurrier used to mock the recruiting acumen of Georgia back then and say things like this quip… “Why is it that during recruiting season they sign all the great players, but when it comes time to play the game, we have all the great players? I don’t understand that. What happens to them?” :D:p:D

News Flash: Florida @GovRonDeSantis is signing the college athlete name, image & likeness bill. "I just want to say Florida is leading on this and if you're a blue-chip high school recruit out there trying to figure out where to go I think any of our Florida schools is a great landing spot,” DeSantis said. "For all of our great high school players, stay in state. I see people going to Alabama and Clemson and I know they've got good programs, but there's nothing better than winning a national championship in your home state. So maybe this will be an added incentive.”

Florida decided to pass laws allowing student-athletes within their state to profit while in school, beginning July 1, 2021. Florida will be the first state to put the ruling into effect. While California and Colorado had previously passed legislation, their rulings do not go into effect until Jan. 1, 2023.
==========

DT Gervon Dexter 6-6 290 *****
was ranked as the No. 12 overall player in the country by the 247Composite, an industry-generated recruiting ranking. He was the No. 3 defensive tackle in the 2020 class and the top player in the state of Florida.

He piled up impressive numbers during his senior season at Lake Wales High School in the state. Dexter tallied 126 tackles, 35 tackles for a loss and 17 sacks. :eek:

https://247sports.com/college/flori...n-Dexter-as-Top-10-impact-freshman-148139390/

Athlon evidently works like a UGa fan. Looks at recruiting rankings but not at reality.

No worries. Those rankings are laughable and after we see reality they will be laughed about.

The funniest:

1. UGa #1 QB. Not just the funniest this year, might be the biggest laugh of the last decade.
2. UGa #4 WR/TE. Big laughs as well. One decent WR returning.
3. UGa #2 RB. No returning starters, first guy up coming off two knee surgeries.
4. UGA Oline #4. One returning starter. C'mon.
5. UF RB #11. This would make sense if UGa, with less returning experience, wasn't #2. No matter what criteria you use, they shouldn't be 9 spots apart. Georgia should be at most 2 spots ahead, and could easily be ranked behind. We also have a 5 star RB on the roster coming off surgery. That seems to qualify you for at least #2.
6. Oline UF #7. Four returning starters from a decent line last year. Easily top 5 if not top 3.

The more you look, at it, the more you realize Athlon has taken none of the Covid situation into account, cares nothing for loss of experience, but is only concerned with recruiting stars. It would be fun watching these insane predictions blow up in their face, except nobody cares about predictions once the season starts, so it will be ignored and forgotten.
Holy crap are you triggered by Georgia. Number 5 kills me. If Georgia wasn’t 2 then you’d accept 11. That’s your analysis and reasoning? Man you are so far gone there’s no coming back. Hanging all your hopes and dreams on a virus. Good Lord.

Reactions: Thenumber34
Holy crap are you triggered by Georgia. Number 5 kills me. If Georgia wasn’t 2 then you’d accept 11. That’s your analysis and reasoning? Man you are so far gone there’s no coming back. Hanging all your hopes and dreams on a virus. Good Lord.

I guess you missed this part of the Athlon equation.

But despite a huge disparity in what they believe the talent level at almost every position, the magazine that is one of the hottest sellers in the summer every year, has the Gators beating Georgia and playing for the SEC Championship. :p

Just looking at this and what the editors at Athlon Sports might be thinking, it seems this is either a huge endorsement of the coaching ability off Dan Mullen and his staff, or it is a huge indictment of the coaching ability of Kirby Smart and his staff.
-----> While the iG thinks that it's a bit of both.
Dan's better than most and it's 4th & Dumb. <----- :confused:

Jeff posted about you. If it had been Auburn, or FSU, or Tennessee, or anybody else where the results were that skewed I would have posted the same thing. I really don't think about you unless somebody brings you up.

Oh, and about the RB's, here we have Georgia, who lost their RB starter and have a guy coming off injuries who hasn't proven much of anything, and UF who has every bit as good of a stable of RB's as Georgia and we are 11th. See, our situations are the same. If we were both around 11th, then I could see the reasoning. I wouldn't agree with it, but I would see it. Personally, I would put us both at 5-6. Because we have similar position strength and returning experience. But to take two positions that are the same and put one at 2 and the other at 11, that makes no sense. Unless you know nothing except the recruiting rankings, which is both fleas and evidently Athlon.

PS. Covid is real. And you and your buddies are going to be using it as an excuse after the season starts.

Last edited:
I guess you missed this part of the Athlon equation.

But despite a huge disparity in what they believe the talent level at almost every position, the magazine that is one of the hottest sellers in the summer every year, has the Gators beating Georgia and playing for the SEC Championship. :p

-----> While the iG thinks that it's a bit of both.
Dan's better than most and it's 4th & Dumb. <----- :confused:
No, I’m just not having a hissy fit over it

No, I’m just not having a hissy fit over it

And neither am I. I'm just B-slappin an arrogant twit flea on the Gator board, and I'm using Athlon's opinions to do it. :p

PS
As to Athlon rating the WF QB higher than Trask, apparently they can't read their 2019 stats vs competition levels and come up with a logical ranking... :rolleyes:

And neither am I. I'm just B-slappin an arrogant twit flea on the Gator board, and I'm using Athlon's opinions to do it. :p

PS
As to Athlon rating the WF QB higher than Trask, apparently they can't read their 2019 stats vs competition levels and come up with a logical ranking... :rolleyes:
So it’s right when you agree with it. Not surprising :confused:

So it’s right when you agree with it. Not surprising :confused:

Pot / Kettle.... :rolleyes:

=========

Athlon missed close at QB imo, Trask is the #1.

They missed big (Gator ratings in SEC) on #11 RB and #9 LB

I don't keep up with the nuttlickers, so I have no idea on their position rankings.

Last edited:
Gator D-Line questions are there, but they don't seem like big questions to me. :cool:

Need to replace these 3: (all were former 3-stars - Coaching???)

WDE Jonathan Greenard 6-3 263 *** -- Houston Texans

SDE Jabari Zuniga 6-4 246 *** - NY Jets

DT Adam Shuler 6-4 275 *** - F/A - Arizona Cardinals

2020 - Possible Starter Replacements: (Fr in BOLD)

WDE - Jeremiah Moon 6-6 228 rsSr ****
WDE - Lacedrick Burnson 6-1 229 rsJr ***
WDE - Andrew Chatfield Jr 6-0 243 rsSo ****
WDE - Antwaun Powell 6-3 234 Fr ****

SDE - Zachary Carter 6-4 263 rsJr ****
SDE - Brenton Cox 6-4 247 rsSo *****
SDE - Princely Umanmieien 6-4 249 Fr ****

DT Marlon Dunlap Jr 6-3 295 rsSr ***
DT Tedarrell Slaton 6-5 358 Sr ****
DT Elijah Conliffe 6-4 312 Sr ****
DT Jaelin Humphries 6-4 320 rsFr ****
DT - Gervon Dexter 6-6 290 Fr *****
DT - Lamar Goods 6-3 310 Fr ****
DT - Jalen Lee 6-3 294 Fr ****

==========

OLB-STAR Amari Burney 6-2 224 Jr ****
OLB-BUCK Khris Bogle 6-6 216 So ****
OLB-BUCK - Mohamoud Diabate 6-2 213 So ****
OLB-BUCK - Ty'Ron Hopper 6-2 215 rsFr ****
OLB-BUCK - Lloyd Summerall III 6-5 214 rsFr ****
OLB-BUCK - Derek Wingo 6-2 210 Fr ****

ILB James Houston iV 6-1 233 rsJr ***
ILB Ventrell Miller 6-0 222 rsJr ***
ILB David Reese 6-0 220 rsSo ****
ILB - Jesiah Pierre 6-2 225 rsFr ***

That's 24 quality players to cover the front 7 positions,,, so we're good imo...
And they're being coached by guys that just put 3 former 3-stars into the NFL. o_O
(and a 4-star CB just went in the 1st Rnd Top 10)

People need something to write about...it's hype. UGA will be a very good team. The hype for their new QB is over blown but we'll see. It all comes down to execution on the field. SCjr wasn't nearly as good as UGA last year but took them down.

We're just as good on talent but have better coaches IMO. It's going to be a good game.

Reactions: gatorbuilderorlando
Dawgs D will be loaded. Probably the best in the conference. They will struggle to score points. They had more talent than we did last year, and they got us by 7. The talent gap has closed.

Reactions: gatorbuilderorlando
Dawgs D will be loaded. Probably the best in the conference. They will struggle to score points. They had more talent than we did last year, and they got us by 7. The talent gap has closed.
Disagree...if we are fairly healthy we're level on talent. We can take these guys it's going to be a dog fight though.

2019 STAR - CB Dean / CB Wilson replaced Dean at STAR in the back half of the season. LB Burney also played some at STAR, but injury caused him to miss some games.

Dean may move to Safety or return to STAR. With CJ Henderson now gone, Wilson seems likely to return to CB with Kaiir Elam at the other corner.
CB/Star Marco Wilson 6-0 190 rsJr
CB Kaiir Elam 6-2 187 So

Gator options at the STAR (nickle) position for 2020:
In the Gators defense, the STAR position is essentially an overpowered nickel defensive back. A much more versatile defender, acting as a cornerback, safety or even at times a linebacker.

CB/Star/FS Trey Dean III 6-3 193 Jr (a shift to safety seems likely)
LB/Star Amari Burney 6-2 224 Jr (I like a healthy Amari at STAR)
-----
These 3 and maybe others will get an early Fall practice look at playing STAR.
CB Chester Kimbrough 5-11 172 So
LB Ty'Ron Hopper 6-2 215 rsFr
CB/ST Tre'Vez Johnson 5-11 175 Fr

The secondary should be solid again at DB-U. :)

Henderson and Elam take the edge...Dean isn't a cover guy. He's a hard hitter and a good player but get's beat a lot and gets to many penalties. You can't play on an island when that happens to much....outside of QB the DB's jobs ( SAFETY'S TOO) are the hardest.

Athlon Sports 2020 College QB ratings - Florida Gators quarterback Kyle Trask No. 15 on the list following his breakout 2019 campaign.

In front of Trask, in descending order -
.................................................................G ....YDS..TD..INT...EFFIC
1. Clemson's Trevor Lawrence................15 3665 36 8 166.7
2. Ohio State's Justin Fields ...................14 3273 41 3 181.4
3. North Carolina's Sam Howell...............13 3641 38 7 160.2
4. Texas' Sam Ehlinger.............................13 3663 32 10 151.8
5. Iowa State's Brock Purdy ....................13 3982 27 9 151.1
6. Oklahoma's Spencer Rattler .............4 81 1 0 155.5
7. Southern California's Kedon Slovis ...12 3502 30 9 167.6
8. Notre Dame's Ian Book ......................13 3034 34 6 149.1
9. Minnesota's Tanner Morgan ...............13 3253 30 7 178.7
10. South Methodist's Shane Buechele....13 3929 34 10 148.8
11. Georgia's Jamie Newman .................12 2868 26 11 145.3
12. Arizona State's Jayden Daniels ......12 2943 17 2 149.2
13. Miami's D'Eriq King ........................... 4 663 6 2 117.7

14. UCF's Dillon Gabriel.............................13 3653 29 7 156.9
15. Florida's Kyle Trask ..........................12 2941 25 7 156.1

https://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/individual/8

Have questions with ranking the QB in Bold ahead of Trask.

D'Eriq King & Spencer Rattler are not even the returning starters.at their respective schools.

Oklahoma Jalen Hurts............................ 14 3851 32 8 191.20
Hurts, the starter for Oklahoma last year, had a great year; Spencer Rattler, a Freshman, was a 4 game Red Shirt player.

Rattler not even the assured starter for Oklahoma. Sophomore Tanner Mordecai had better stats in his limited playing time -
207 yds - 2 TD - 0 INT - 153.8 RATING

How can Athlon pick Rattler, a RS FR with no college game experience, as the Oklahoma starting QB & then call him as a better QB than Trask ?

The more you look, at it, the more you realize Athlon is only concerned with recruiting stars.

Newman, playing in ACC, faced easier competition, won fewer games, passed for fewer yards, did have 1 more TD, but had 4 more INT, & a lower Efficiency Rating - how is he the SEC's top rated QB ?

Last edited:
Henderson and Elam take the edge...Dean isn't a cover guy. He's a hard hitter and a good player but get's beat a lot and gets to many penalties. You can't play on an island when that happens to much....outside of QB the DB's jobs ( SAFETY'S TOO) are the hardest.
Henderson???

Henderson???
Sorry I've been working to much lol....Wilson, Elam, I like Stewart and Dean at safety ( I feel like I'm missing a guy)....we've got some good players that are going to step up and probably have too....might take a spot and will be in the rotation. Thing is we're getting back to place where we have some guys who can move around and if a stand out jumps in...we're getting some pretty versatile players. Some straight athletes that can play in the backfield. Ready to see some guys compete for the job.

Greg McIlroy is quoted by SDS as saying that Jamie Neuman has "top 5 talent" and his talent if "off the charts". Again, this is from a sports broadcaster/analyst and some of them are more credible than others, but McIlroy is pretty good.

Greg McIlroy is quoted by SDS as saying that Jamie Neuman has "top 5 talent" and his talent if "off the charts". Again, this is from a sports broadcaster/analyst and some of them are more credible than others, but McIlroy is pretty good.
McElroy is a clown. He’s the same guy that drooled over Jim McElwain.

So why didn't he just turn pro this year?

So why didn't he just turn pro this year?

This.

2021 QB class is shaping up to be deeper than 2020, if Newman was all that he would have been a sure fire 1st rounder this past draft. Since he didn't go pro he is evidently not all that. If he had stayed at his own school that would be one thing, but to be a grad transfer says you aren't good enough for the pros, otherwise you would have transferred to the NFL.

I see Georgia's offense struggling next year, and if it does, he will be another late round draftee. If Georgia has two straight 5-6 round QBs drafted, the 5 stars are going to start looking elsewhere. Or, Georgia is going to have to significantly increase the signing bonus.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jeff from Jax
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT