ADVERTISEMENT

And so now, Dan owns Tennessee too...

Agree with sad. Add to that Jordan Scarlett had a very good night - blocking and running. Franks is showing progress, with fewer bad reads and fewer bad throws, plus several very good, accurate throws.

It was good seeing Franks overall not forcing plays. Although I found it funny when he ran towards the end zone and jumped up and that defender tackled him. Don’t jump up boy!

Reactions: sadgator
Way TL --- DR... (or snivel if you do) :cool:

The sloppy-drop story for 2018 revolves around two main items, Gator Special Teams, and the Gator Defense creating turnovers. The offense managing to avoid any major mistakes always helps in a win. ;)

Boy did they ever EARN the name I've given that hillbilly town, GOOD OLE' SLOPPY DROP, SLOPPY DROP tennissss-sea. :D BTW, Is 6 Turnovers in a single game an all time record for a UF vs Tn game in no-Knox?
~ The Gators had 17 takeaways all last season. They have 14 through the first 4 games in 2018. :eek: ----- SWEET! :)

On my score card, both the ST's and the D got an A+ for that game, even though a couple of them still don't seem to know how to wrap up and tackle, instead of just throwing their bodies at the opponents legs, or giving them a shoulder and expecting them to fall down or go out of bounds... (you're better than that Chauncey) o_O

Welcome back CeCe (him and Shuler got the safety).
Welcome back ILB David Reese (11 Tkls, + F-R)!!! (I'd call it an Int)
What a great move by Dan to bring in Shuler, (9 Tkls).
DB Brad Stewart is really coming into his own now also, (7 Tkls and a great Int).
Stiner, and especially Edwards, are also making very good progress in the secondary.
Dean is playing well for a tFr. Henderson is a great cover guy, but he still needs work on his tackling.
Way under-rated 2-star Luke Ancrum rsJr
is turning into the player that I always thought he'd be, now that he's getting coaching and a chance out on the field. That Int. he made was no accident on his part, it was heads up smart. All of the DT's played lights out.
~ Very good and timely rotations by the coaches, nobody ever looked tired on the field.

==============

Stephens, 2 targets - 2 receptions, both for 1st downs. He also blocked on the R-side for a Franks 1st down run, and he made a key downfield block on Toney's 34 yd end around. Way to go Moral. (thanks coach)
Thanks for moving R.J. Raymond from TE to FB, as I suggested back in Aug, and several times since then. He made a great TD catch in the endzone, on yet another poorly throw ball. :rolleyes:

Franks had 3-4 well thrown balls, going 9 of 18 (50%). His big plus was 3 TD's to 0 Ints. Credit where credit is due. He's not terrible, he's just not that good. Still locks in on 1st option. If it's open, he can make the throw some of the time. If not,,,:confused: oh well...
The Gators have a terrific receiving corp, WR's, TE's, RB's, and now a FB that can all catch the ball. But imoho, 9 completions on just 18 attempts is absolutely dismal for a passing game. Against the better teams, I see losses piling up. :cool:

Franks - 50 of 95 (52.6%) for 7.8 yds/att. -- 32 rushes, 1 TD
Trask ----- 4 of 4 (100%) for 9.0 yds/att. --- 3 rushes, 1 TD
~ Kinda reminds me of the Scarlett 6.1 ypc / Perine 6-1 ypc - Pierce 10.7 ypc, playing time BS..
~ Or the even worse (2017) Goolsby-Lewis / Stephens playing time BS.....

I was hoping-expecting that kind of BS to leave with the last coaching staff, but apparently the one's that are really making those kinds of decisions never left... (kinda like the Presidents change, but the same bureaucrats remain behind to continue to muddy up the SWAMP).... :cool:

Note: The Perine fumble was the fault of the one (?) on the end that failed to pick up the outside blitz. A step quicker and that Tn DB could have taken the hand-off, instead of putting his helmet on the ball. Anyway, Perine more than redeemed himself IMO, with his possession of the on-sides kick in the middle of 4 grasping dollies. :eek:

Along with that, the last 2 games the Gators have run 44 plays and 53 plays, 48.5 Pl/Gm, for the fewest plays/game in all of FBS.
'Get the sideline signal, look at arm ban and call play, wait for their def to adjust. Look to sideline again to get changes to initial play, look at arm ban again, call new play, Ready, duh,,, set, duh,,, look around uh,,, hike.... (with less than 8 seconds left on the play clock usually). The long term result of that will likely be a 5-7 win season,,, at best.' :oops:

So, why aren't we seeing more from all those other excellent play-makers on the roster? Well, when you only average about 48 plays per game, you aren't going to see many get on the field for a chance to make a play.

The OL as a group is improving, but the RT needs to run the stadium steps twice, for his 2 false starts. Focus!
=========

Now, remember back when Van and Grimes came in and everyone went all drollie over it?
I said that they were both very good receivers, but not better than what was already here.
Swain ---- 8 for 193 yds, 24.1 yds/rec, 3 TD's
Jefferson - 8 for 127 yds, 15.9 yds/rec, 3 TD's
-----
Grimes ---- 6 for 90 yds, 15.0 yds/rec, 1 TD
Cleveland - 7 for 80 yds, 11.4 yds/rec, 2 TD's
I rest my case... :cool:
==========

Stephens - 3 for 45 yds, 15.0 yds/rec, 1 TD - 3 targets, 3 receptions
Krull ------ 2 for 33 yds, 16.5 yds/rec, 0 TD - 2 targets, 2 receptions
Gamble --- 3 for 25 yds, 8.3 yds/rec, 0 TD, with a drop or 2.
Lewis -- several drops, but with the occasional good block... :rolleyes:
FB/TE Raymond - 1 for 1 yd, 1 TD --- Work him at FB, there are more than enough TE's.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT