Additional excerpts from Mertz’ PC yesterday

Ldgator

Gator Great
Gold Member
Aug 12, 2011
Ocala, FL
Covered by Franz Beard of GB.

Excerpts from Mertz PC yesterday:

He’s since developed a relationship with Wuerffel, which has added further understanding to why the next step on his football and personal journey is here in Gainesville.

“My first month here we sat down right up there and talked 30 minutes, just about life,” Mertz said. “Yeah, we talked about Florida and the football and all that, but the one thing I appreciate a ton from him is just he genuinely cares about the human aspect of it. That’s really special. From the second I met him, it was just like a … you meet the guy, you talk to him, you’re like, yeah, that’s a Florida quarterback. That’s what you want to be as far as human, as a person, how you interact with people and obviously how you play. They’ve been great. Nothing but true respect for all the guys that have come before me.”

Mertz has been wowed with how Napier is willing to make the offense adjust to the strengths of his players

He understands,” Mertz said. “Like I wish you guys could sit into a quarterback meeting and just hear how he installs. It's so detailed. He knows the pitfalls of every play. He’s seen it. He can recall a play from five years ago and just pop it up on the board. ‘This is what I saw. This is why it works.’ As a quarterback, that's why it's really helpful in your learning process because we see he's seen it all and he understands it, he’s played the position. He knows what throws are a little bit hard, what throws are a little bit easier and he designs the offense in that way to kind of free you up and go play.”

“Everybody finds motivation in different things, and some people, that might be a way to find motivation,” Mertz said. “But for me, I found my motivation in my team and knowing I need to do my job better for every single guy in there. If I spend time looking at distractions and focusing on that, that does not make me do my job better.”

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News