ADVERTISEMENT

A lot of job openings this offseason....

LSU better get Herman before USC comes calling or Texas.

I think it is between Texas and LSU. USC has been classic, no innovation pro style since football was invented. I don't think he is a good fit there. I think it all comes down to if he wants to prove he can win in the SEC or win the Big 12 in year one.

Herman will end up at Texas or USC before LSU. I believe Herman will be the coach of Texas next year.

Houston may well get into the Big12, but the Big12 may look very different in a few years. Texas and Oklahoma are testing the waters in other conferences. The Big12 may end up as another AAC/American type middle-weight conference.

Don't think they are going to expand in the near future. More likely that Texas goes to the Big 12 or Pac 12 and OU applies to the SEC. Anything is possible in this situation.

Either Briles or Petrino would wreck shop at UT or LSU. I would rather have Herman, because he doesn't have the baggage, but whoever misses out on him is going to be pretty tempted to pull the trigger on those two. They are as close to guaranteed excitement and wins as you are going to get outside of the big 3. Petrino's baggage, really, isn't that much different than Saban's when he went to 'Bama. I doubt that anyone cares that he was carrying on with a hot, blonde college volleyball player (and/or Miss Bikini USA). It's more that he's a flake and a mercenary. But you don't hear anyone say that anymore about Saban.

I hope LSU goes after Gary Patterson due to his overall track record. I think some people discount him because his teams fall off from time to time but at LSU he could recruit at the highest level. With the talent he would have access to he could build a dynasty.

I don't see Petrino leaving Louisville so soon this time around.

Patterson, Briles, Herman, and one or two others are in the hunt between LSU/TX.

I think LSU would do well to at the very least reach out to the following
1. P.J. fleck-HC Western Michigan. He's young, energetic and could be a long term guy
2. Dabo swinney-HC Clemson sorta weird but has done wonders at Clemson. Might be ready to coach in an elite conference
3 Bill Cowher-Former HC Pittsburgh Steelers. It's a long shot but at least make him say no.
4 Scott Frost- HC Central Florida High-energy guy with a GREAT offensive mind.

Reactions: TennesseeGator
I think LSU would do well to at the very least reach out to the following
1. P.J. fleck-HC Western Michigan. He's young, energetic and could be a long term guy
2. Dabo swinney-HC Clemson sorta weird but has done wonders at Clemson. Might be ready to coach in an elite conference
3 Bill Cowher-Former HC Pittsburgh Steelers. It's a long shot but at least make him say no.
4 Scott Frost- HC Central Florida High-energy guy with a GREAT offensive mind.
Your AD sucks. He's going to botch this hire up just like he botched up the handling of the entire Les Miles situation.

Agree Aleeva needs to go, and if he blows this hire he is indeed out. this whole UF-LSU game situation is a result of his posturing ot try to get off of the hot seat.

P.J. Fleck is totally underrated. Most people don't even know who he is. He would be a great hire. Somebody will get him and be happy.

LSU would be a HUGE jump from the MAC. I rrally like what he has done at WMU. But when you go from that to Saban, Freeze and Sumlin every year, thats a huge jump

Hahaha.... Zook, Chump, Mac. Can't botch it much worse than us

I was just thinking how Zook might come out looking like the best of the three. He was the best recruiter, by far, and put the most watchable product on the field. He didn't win the division, or win double digits, but he had to deal with a much tougher SECE.

Is Texas going to cut Charley loose?

I love that guy, I hope he can find his stride there, but he seems to be struggling. With those resources, Texas should be Top 10 almost every year.

Barring a huge turnaround CCS is out at Texas. Sadly, Les Miles getting fired at LSU is somewhat to blame for this situation. In my opinion CS should never have been hired at Texas.

I was just thinking how Zook might come out looking like the best of the three. He was the best recruiter, by far, and put the most watchable product on the field. He didn't win the division, or win double digits, but he had to deal with a much tougher SECE.
Are you sure about that? Zook was pretty freakin bad as well. He lost 5 games every year and didn't even make it through his 3rd year if I remember correctly.

It was the most watchable? What does that even mean? That you enjoy losing lots of football games. Yes the offense under Zook was pretty good but the defense was terrible and he is supposed to be a defensive coach. Zook won some big games but he got torched quite a bit as well. In 2002 he got killed at home against LSU with Grossman playing QB and also in 2002 he lost to a bad Ole Miss team. And in 2004 he lost to a terrible Miss St. (1-5 prior to the game, including a home loss to D1AA Maine) team and he got fired the next day In his three seasons, the Gators lost six games at Ben Hill Griffin Stadium. Zook did not beat a ranked opponent at home during his time at Florida.

I can't believe that any fan with a shred of intelligence would put McElwain in the same boat as Zook and Muschamp.

And I say that acknowledging that the jury is still out of McElwain.

I can't believe that any fan with a shred of intelligence would put McElwain in the same boat as Zook and Muschamp.

And I say that acknowledging that the jury is still out of McElwain.

Why? How has McElwain distinguished himself so far? Because he won 10 games last year? If you added the extra cupcake to Zook's schedules he would have won nine games twice. Zook beat 1-loss Georgia and LSU teams that were better than anyone Muschamp or McElwain have beat and he beat FSU on the road. You don't think Zook's 2002 team could have won that garbage SEC east last year?

Additionally, Zook recruited better, open and shut. I'm not saying I want Zook back but to say McElwain is somehow above the comparison is just a conclusory statement on your part. What are you basing that on?

Why? How has McElwain distinguished himself so far? Because he won 10 games last year? If you added the extra cupcake to Zook's schedules he would have won nine games twice. Zook beat 1-loss Georgia and LSU teams that were better than anyone Muschamp or McElwain have beat and he beat FSU on the road. You don't think Zook's 2002 team could have won that garbage SEC east last year?

Additionally, Zook recruited better, open and shut. I'm not saying I want Zook back but to say McElwain is somehow above the comparison is just a conclusory statement on your part. What are you basing that on?
No because Zook's 2002 team lost to a bad Ole Miss team and LSU. So no the 2002 team wouldn't have won the SEC East last year. Zook never beat a ranked team at home so based off that fact Zook's 2002 team wouldn't have won the Ole Miss game last year.

McElwain has only coached 1 full season so yes I don't really understand the comparison. Shouldn't he at least coach 2-3 seasons before comparing him to Zook or Muschamp? It's not an apples to apples comparison right now.

The bad Ole Miss team had Eli Manning at qb and the Saban-coached LSU team was one year away from 13-1(only loss at home to Zook). To say 2002 or 2003 Florida couldn't have beat last year's Ole Miss team is ridiculous. They beat one-loss Georgia and LSU teams that were both better than Ole Miss. Zook was 12-4 in the SEC in his first 2 years. McElwain is 9-2. McElwain hasn't lost to anyone as bad as Zook and Muschamp's worst losses.

Why? How has McElwain distinguished himself so far? Because he won 10 games last year?

Yes. Not just last year. But in his first year. Did Zook? No. Zook did not even win 9 games his first year. And he had a NFL QB on his roster the whole year.

If you added the extra cupcake to Zook's schedules he would have won nine games twice. Zook beat 1-loss Georgia and LSU teams that were better than anyone Muschamp or McElwain have beat and he beat FSU on the road.

I guess the Ole Miss and UT wins don't count either? And are you *really* counting a road FSU in 2004 win as significant? A team that went 9-3 and lost to Maryland? BTW, that was Zook's third year. Why is that significant?

Because you are counting the significant wins across three years of Zook. Should we wait three years for McElwain? Or is it appropriate to compare three years of significant wiins by Zook to one year of McElwain?

You don't think Zook's 2002 team could have won that garbage SEC east last year?

Don't know. And neither do you. But what we both know is that Zook never won the SEC East. He never played in Atlanta. He also never had to replace a starting QB during the season even once, much less twice.

OK, so you *tried* to make a case for Zook. You failed, but at least you tried.

. McElwain hasn't lost to anyone as bad as Zook and Muschamp's worst losses.

You continue to compare seven years of game across two coaches to one year of games across one coach. I am not sure what kinds of conclusions you think you can draw from that kind of comparison.

Should we wait until McElwain has been coaching at least three years before we claim Zook was better than McElwain? (It makes my eyes hurt to type "Zook was better than McElwain.")

My goodness, I just cannot fathom this kind of reasoning.

You continue to compare seven years of game across two coaches to one year of games across one coach. I am not sure what kinds of conclusions you think you can draw from that kind of comparison.

Should we wait until McElwain has been coaching at least three years before we claim Zook was better than McElwain? (It makes my eyes hurt to type "Zook was better than McElwain.")

My goodness, I just cannot fathom this kind of reasoning.

I agree. Bradley is usually a reasonable poster but this was a little off kilter.

Zook has the UGA, LSU, FSU and first year UT wins to his resume. That's it. The loss to a 1-5 Mississippi State type game isn't on Mc's early resume. The UT and Ole Miss wins plus making the SECCG is.

Way too early to compare Mc to Zook and/or Muschamp. Way too early.

Yes. Not just last year. But in his first year. Did Zook? No. Zook did not even win 9 games his first year. And he had a NFL QB on his roster the whole year.

I guess the Ole Miss and UT wins don't count either? And are you *really* counting a road FSU in 2004 win as significant? A team that went 9-3 and lost to Maryland? BTW, that was Zook's third year. Why is that significant?

Because you are counting the significant wins across three years of Zook. Should we wait three years for McElwain? Or is it appropriate to compare three years of significant wiins by Zook to one year of McElwain?

Don't know. And neither do you. But what we both know is that Zook never won the SEC East. He never played in Atlanta. He also never had to replace a starting QB during the season even once, much less twice.

OK, so you *tried* to make a case for Zook. You failed, but at least you tried.

MJ, would Zook have won nine games first year if he had the extra game that McElwain has? Yes. Do you know this? Yes. So why do you make that argument?

I didn't say UT and Ole Miss don't count, I said they weren't as good as the one-loss UGA and LSU teams that Zook beat. Do you agree with this? Yes. Did Zook beat that LSU team (in year 2) with a freshman quarterback that he recruited? Yes.

Will you respond to these self evident truths by posting a baseless, conclusory statement and then congratulating yourself for it? Also yes.

I'm not saying Zook is better than McElwain. I'm saying it's closer than you're making it out to be.

we had WAY more talent on those zook teams than Mac has right now and it's not even close

Zook never beat a ranked team at home. Never. For some reason Zook's teams faired much better away from home. But if you can't win your home games your not going to be employed very long.

The defenses under Zook were very bad. Especially with the 4th quarter collapses. He shouldn't have handcuffed Strong.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT