ADVERTISEMENT

11 in a row???

grommit

Bull Gator
Oct 30, 2005
Please let's not look at this as an 11th win in a row over the fighting PeteyPies. I prefer to look at it as starting over a fresh 10 game winning streak! 1-0, 9 to go!!!! :D

Please let's not look at this as an 11th win in a row over the fighting PeteyPies. I prefer to look at it as starting over a fresh 10 game winning streak! 1-0, 9 to go!!!! :D

If you think we have issues, go over to Vol Nation and read. Epic meltdown. o_O

.....and 2 games away from bowl eligibility while being in the month of September....I like it alots

Hey Grom, what do you think about Butch's coaching performance today?! LMAO

I've been saying for 3 straight years that that guy is a clueless bum off of the street, but everyone has ignored me because "he can recruit well". He's not a coach, he doesn't know how to manage a game, he can't win the big games. His win % at UT has gone up marginally because several teams have taken drastic downturns in the past 2-3 years (USC, Missouri, Vandy). He still has yet to prove he can win a big game against a ranked team of consequence, despite all his top 5 recruiting classes.

I hope they give Butch Doofus and Mark Richt 50 year contract extensions. Nothing could be better for Florida than that.

BTW, UK upended Missouri tonight (very good for us) and Ole Piss had a very meh day dealing with Vandy at home. Had Vandy gotten ANY points off of each of it's 2 interceptions from Piss, then they could have had a real chance at winning, especially when it was a 4 point game in the 4th quarter and Vandy was inside Piss's 10 yard line.

Butch is more like Zook than Muschamp. Both Butch and Zook can recruit but both are terrible game day coaches.

The funny part is, it's taken the clueless Tennessee fools 3 whole years to start realizing this as they've been chanting to themselves "He's better than Dooley" "He has us heading in the right direction" "Brick by brick". Now that they've been ignoring what all of us have been telling them this time, they're starting to realize all they have is a used car salesman who can recruit. They're so desperate to be relevant again that they will take ANYONE off the street as head coach, as long as it's not the current loser they have. It's right about now that they are stopping all the hatred towards Derek Dooley and shifting it over to their one time savior.

Time to give Lane Kiffin a call.

When Grier hit the BP TD sadgator turned to his buddy and said, "if given the opportunity, Tennessee will try to find a way to give this game back to us." sadgator wasn't even sure he believed it when he said it, but it is so true. It is almost like they tried to put us in position to take that win...so weird.

I said it a few weeks ago, even if UT had a lead on us their staff would give it away. Thankfully they did, because we shouldn't have won that game.

The funny part is, it's taken the clueless Tennessee fools 3 whole years to start realizing this as they've been chanting to themselves "He's better than Dooley" "He has us heading in the right direction" "Brick by brick". Now that they've been ignoring what all of us have been telling them this time, they're starting to realize all they have is a used car salesman who can recruit. They're so desperate to be relevant again that they will take ANYONE off the street as head coach, as long as it's not the current loser they have. It's right about now that they are stopping all the hatred towards Derek Dooley and shifting it over to their one time savior.

Time to give Lane Kiffin a call.

Somebody actually posted a thread on a Vol message board last night (not Rivals) wanting to bring Lane Kiffin back to Sucktown. The funny thing was that he actually had quite a few of his fellow posters agreeing with him.

Butch is more like Zook than Muschamp. Both Butch and Zook can recruit but both are terrible game day coaches.

Hey lighten up on the ole Zookster, he was 1-2 vs FSU with the win in tallycrappy. :cool:
Also going:
1-2 vs Tenn
1-2 vs LSU
2-1 vs UGA

While the Head-BJ is now 0-3 vs UF, 0-2 in the SWAMP.... :confused:

Heck, maybe they should try to steal the Zookster from the Packers.... o_O

Jones IMO is taking a lot of undue heat for this game. The only thing he's at fault for is mismanaging the clock near the end of the game, but elite coaches that everybody crowns has done the same thing a time or two. His trick plays in the first half were well timed and executed and they switched up their game plan more than we did. Throughout the game he frankly out coached Mac.

I keep hearing people talk about how he should have gone for two and that is by no means a lock of a decision. They're facing an offense (us) that had struggled to score all day, you take the extra point and go up 13 and make it a three score game (yes I know it's two but for us a TD, FG, FG would have been ,ore likely than two TD's given how our offense had performed). It's not as if they were facing a high powered offense where the other team is likely to score two more times and you know you need a cushion of 14 points. He played the odds and lost, it happens. We escaped one so I don't get why everyone is bagging on Jones. Even Mac said after the game he didn't know if we deserved to win this one. I couldn't care less about Jones, I'm happy we're 4-0.

Jones IMO is taking a lot of undue heat for this game. The only thing he's at fault for is mismanaging the clock near the end of the game, but elite coaches that everybody crowns has done the same thing a time or two. His trick plays in the first half were well timed and executed and they switched up their game plan more than we did. Throughout the game he frankly out coached Mac.

I keep hearing people talk about how he should have gone for two and that is by no means a lock of a decision. They're facing an offense (us) that had struggled to score all day, you take the extra point and go up 13 and make it a three score game (yes I know it's two but for us a TD, FG, FG would have been ,ore likely than two TD's given how our offense had performed). It's not as if they were facing a high powered offense where the other team is likely to score two more times and you know you need a cushion of 14 points. He played the odds and lost, it happens. We escaped one so I don't get why everyone is bagging on Jones. Even Mac said after the game he didn't know if we deserved to win this one. I couldn't care less about Jones, I'm happy we're 4-0.
Jones is taking a lot of heat because they choked away the Oklahoma game as well. He also taking a lot of heat because quite frankly he isn't a very good game day coach. That has been proven time and time again. He's also yet to beat any team with a pulse yet while at UT. Jones is a good recruiter but not a good coach.

Jones even admitted he made a mistake by not going for 2. They have a chart on when to go for 2. The chart said to go for 2 and he didn't. It was a big mistake. What's the difference between 27-14 and 26-14? Nothing.

I'm not trying to come off as an apologist of his but his record at this point in time is meaningless. UT was not in a position as a program to beat anybody worth a damn. He inherited a 5-7 program in worse shape than what Muschamp left us and the last two years they've played more freshmen than any team in the country. ANY coach is going to struggle to win games against even average teams with a roster like that much less in the SEC. He's a decent coach, he's not bad. I don't know how people could say that considering they out coached us really until the final few minutes of that game, what's that say about our staff then?

And the chart isn't infallible. Statistics say you should almost always go for two too yet hardly any coach ever does. Likewise statistics say you should practically never punt once you cross midfield yet every Saturday and Sunday coaches line up and punt in those situations. We could not move the ball all game. Choosing to go up 27-14 is not a bad call in that situation. At that time in the game you're assuming UF gets at most three possessions. A TD and two FG's ties the game for UF. Go for two and miss it and at 26-14 a TD and two FG's loses you the game. At most you can call it the conservative call, which it was, but people saying it was without a doubt the wrong call no questions asked are just football ignorant. I'm not surprised he's backtracked on his decision after all the heat he's taken but that's what happens when people have the benefit of working with hindsight. He made the safe call.

Reactions: LoudounGator
Jones is taking a lot of heat because they choked away the Oklahoma game as well. He also taking a lot of heat because quite frankly he isn't a very good game day coach. That has been proven time and time again. He's also yet to beat any team with a pulse yet while at UT. Jones is a good recruiter but not a good coach.

Jones even admitted he made a mistake by not going for 2. They have a chart on when to go for 2. The chart said to go for 2 and he didn't. It was a big mistake. What's the difference between 27-14 and 26-14? Nothing.
It's called choking and going into a shell. He Muschumped it. This doesn't need to be explained any further. Now I know why Spurrier never called Chump back during SOS's recruiting days.

I'm not trying to come off as an apologist of his but his record at this point in time is meaningless. UT was not in a position as a program to beat anybody worth a damn. He inherited a 5-7 program in worse shape than what Muschamp left us and the last two years they've played more freshmen than any team in the country. ANY coach is going to struggle to win games against even average teams with a roster like that much less in the SEC. He's a decent coach, he's not bad. I don't know how people could say that considering they out coached us really until the final few minutes of that game, what's that say about our staff then?.

Again he choked away yet another game. How many more times is he going to do that? Those freshmen aren't freshmen anymore on UT. I disagree that they outcoached us. Tennessee has much more experience than us now and they should have more talent if you look at the way they have been recruiting on both sides of the ball since Butch has been there. Butch Jones is very very similar to Zook. Very good recruiter but bad game day coach.

Don't forget Butch Jones has made a living off of following Brian Kelly's coat tails. Jones has never actually built something up on his "own". All he has ever done is just take the car keys from Brian Kelly and try and maintain a program.

Yea they're now true sophomores which means they should be winning at a high level after a decade of irrelevance? That makes no sense. I'm still wondering how people feel he 'choked' the game away. The only legitimate point to be made is the poor clock management at the end. Why not give our players credit for coming through? They brought the house numerous times on those 4th downs and we found ways to convert over and over. Then people complain about them going 'conservative' because they kept running the ball completely ignoring that they'd been running the ball with success the entire game. In fact, running the ball is the only time they success on offense. It's not as if they were throwing the ball all over the lot then suddenly went run heavy, they stuck with the exact same gameplan that had gotten them the lead and was giving our defense problems. He didn't choke, we made more plays than them. Claiming him choking is the only reason we won takes away from all the great plays our players made.

We could not move the ball all game. Choosing to go up 27-14 is not a bad call in that situation.

sadgator agrees. When Hurd ran that ball in untouched, sadgator didn't even think about them going for two. There was no need. They were totally kicking our butts. The chance of us coming back was so improbable that it hardly seemed to matter. Plus...going for two is no automatic thing. If they had missed the conversion, everybody would probably be saying that it gave us momentum...

sadgator agrees. When Hurd ran that ball in untouched, sadgator didn't even think about them going for two. There was no need. They were totally kicking our butts. The chance of us coming back was so improbable that it hardly seemed to matter. Plus...going for two is no automatic thing. If they had missed the conversion, everybody would probably be saying that it gave us momentum...

Right. People are just doing what they do, judge decisions after the fact. The most ridiculous narrative I've seen is that they went 'conservative' on their second to last possession and that's what cost them the game. First, they were backed up on the 20, you don't do anything risky there because a turnover gives us the ball in scoring territory. Second, they're up six points, the smart play there is to run the ball and make us use our timeouts so we have none if we have to put a drive together and they did exactly that leaving us with one TO Third, they had been gashing us with the run the entire game, they couldn't pass for crap so sticking with the run that had killed us all game isn't going conservative, it's the smart play. If they pass there it stops the clock and allows us to save our timeouts. The only call there was to run it on that second to last possession. It's just stupid piling on by media people who don't know anything about anything. Bottom line is we made improbable play after play after play and rather than acknowledging that it's easier to just say UT choked.

Oozie, your logic about a TD & two FGS is flawed. UT scored with about 10 min left in the game. It is likely that we only have two possessions left plus out kicking game is shaky (we were using a backup who couldn't beat out a struggling kicker). The only way we win is to score two TDs. As UT, you MUST go for two in that situation. The one point is absolutely meaningless there. (Note - If they had scored their last TD late 3rd quarter, then I might agree with you.)

Oozie, your logic about a TD & two FGS is flawed. UT scored with about 10 min left in the game. It is likely that we only have two possessions left plus out kicking game is shaky (we were using a backup who couldn't beat out a struggling kicker). The only way we win is to score two TDs. As UT, you MUST go for two in that situation. The one point is absolutely meaningless there. (Note - If they had scored their last TD late 3rd quarter, then I might agree with you.)

How many did we end up getting? I genuinely don't remember.

But the reason I estimated 3 more possession is because at that point UT has no incentive to pass and you'd have to assume we sell out to stop the run, so I figured we'd force them to punt on an extra possession. And if I'm looking at UF having three more possessions, there's no way I can visualize them driving the full length of the field two times, much less three times. So best case scenario you're looking at maybe one TD and a few FG's. With a 13 point lead, if that happens the game is tied. Go for two and don't get it and that loses you the game. But yea, if we're only looking at two UF possessions then it's questionable. My only point is it wasn't for sure the right decision to go for two, people are working under the assumption that they'd get it too. If my scenario played out and we won the game by 27-26, everyone would be crucifying him for not taking the PAT.

To me the biggest indictment on Jones is the fact that with 2 TO's and 1:26 on the clock they only got to run 4 plays. That was some seriously poor clock management. They shouldn't have had to settle for a FG there, at least not such a long one. They manage the clock properly and they have a few more opportunities to get closer. But of course our soft bend but don't break coverage helped them get in that position too SMH.

I agree with that, Oozie. His "plan" was to go home with a timeout in his pocket, too. (He ended up having to use it due to the penalty on the spike). He should have used it earlier, or at a minimum, use it instead of the spike...would have saved five yards.

I was there at the game, so friggin awesome. Instant classic. Swamp was soooo loud on Calloway's TD and I was in the South end zone watching him run at me the whole way screaming my head off. Good times.

I agree with that, Oozie. His "plan" was to go home with a timeout in his pocket, too. (He ended up having to use it due to the penalty on the spike). He should have used it earlier, or at a minimum, use it instead of the spike...would have saved five yards.

I hate that rule too. If the 'punishment' is to have the 10 second run off when a penalty is committed at that time, why then do they get to use a TO to stop the run off? Sort of defeats the whole purpose.

They didn't go for 2 because they didn't think they were going to get a TD on the third and 10. They didn't have a play ready to go for 2 because Butch Jones is as dumb as he looks. Not to mention only running 4 plays with 1:26 and 2 timeouts.

I hate that rule too. If the 'punishment' is to have the 10 second run off when a penalty is committed at that time, why then do they get to use a TO to stop the run off? Sort of defeats the whole purpose.

The purpose of that rule is that you can't intentionally commit a penalty to stop the clock.

It was poor coaching decisions for UT to call a timeout when we set up for a punt and set up for a field goal. What is the purpose? Plan a defense to defend the fake? That is a rarity and that should already be planned for w/o using a timeout.

In that aspect, that is where Coach Mc out coached him. Use their timeout to your advantage to draw up a play. SOS 90's type stuff right there.

Jones is a bafoon. Even Zook beat some ranked teams. It is unfair to Zook to be compared to bUTch.

You are dead wrong. Anyone with a clue was pointing out how foolish it was, not going for two, as soon as it happened. With 10 minutes left in the game, you always go for two in that situation. Always. And their lack of clock management on the final drive was flat out embarrassing

Right. People are just doing what they do, judge decisions after the fact. The most ridiculous narrative I've seen is that they went 'conservative' on their second to last possession and that's what cost them the game. First, they were backed up on the 20, you don't do anything risky there because a turnover gives us the ball in scoring territory. Second, they're up six points, the smart play there is to run the ball and make us use our timeouts so we have none if we have to put a drive together and they did exactly that leaving us with one TO Third, they had been gashing us with the run the entire game, they couldn't pass for crap so sticking with the run that had killed us all game isn't going conservative, it's the smart play. If they pass there it stops the clock and allows us to save our timeouts. The only call there was to run it on that second to last possession. It's just stupid piling on by media people who don't know anything about anything. Bottom line is we made improbable play after play after play and rather than acknowledging that it's easier to just say UT choked.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT