ADVERTISEMENT

🏀Official Thread Florida Gators🐊 Men’s Basketball vs Auburn Tigers Tonight 🏀

We weren't an elite program. We were a good program who has had one elite coach.
Ok, the point is we still went from winning Elite 8 trips to barely making the tourney and almost always losing in the round of 32 and losing 7-10 conference games a year.

Thought tonight they looked better prepared on both ends. The defense is much improved from earlier this season. They just can't make open shots. They also ran an offense that took advantage of Auburn's pressure defense with many back door cuts and misdirection plays that got us good looks or lobs to the rim.

And who cares what he said in the preseason? A lot of CBK coaches said that prior to the season. Villanova's HC said the same, and I know the guy, he thought they would be better and they're 7-6.
The fans all should care. His team isn’t living up to his own expectations and isn’t a tournament team at this point. Fans ran Mike White out of town because he wasn’t another Billy D. What do you think is going to happen to a guy that looks to be a step down from Mike White so far? I hope he’s able to turn it around, but not getting it done.

Ok, the point is we still went from winning Elite 8 trips to barely making the tourney and almost always losing in the round of 32 and losing 7-10 conference games a year.
Yes White killed what Billy D built. Now we are a middling/mediocre basketball program.

Actually kind of sounds like the football program now too.

It has been well documented I’m not a Stricklin fan. I’m fact Miss St is better than us in both football and basketball and that all happened since Stricklin left Miss St and became the AD at UF.

• Haha
Reactions: Papabear1 and Tarjf
We were most definitely an “Elite” program under Billy D. We are certainly far far from what Billy D accomplished right now. Heck even take away Billy D’s 2 national titles and we are still nowhere close to that same program.

The fans all should care. His team isn’t living up to his own expectations and isn’t a tournament team at this point. Fans ran Mike White out of town because he wasn’t another Billy D. What do you think is going to happen to a guy that looks to be a step down from Mike White so far? I hope he’s able to turn it around, but not getting it done.
Definitely disagree with him being a step down from MW. Folks ran MW out of town because he was handed a really good program and had no clue what he was doing. How many kids regressed under MW? Who actually improved under MW?

• Haha
Reactions: Tarjf and k5gator
Yes White killed what Billy D built. Now we are a middling/mediocre basketball program.

Actually kind of sounds like the football program now too.

It has been well documented I’m not a Stricklin fan. I’m fact Miss St is better than us in both football and basketball and that all happened since Stricklin left Miss St and became the AD at UF.
Nah, MSU has been worse in football since Stricklin's last hire (Mullen left). Think they're like close to .500 since Mullen left (if you give them credit for the 2018 vacated wins, if not then they're much worse than .500). Don't care for him but MSU has been pretty bad since Mullen left, this year was solid. But they had back to back 7 loss seasons after Dan left.

Definitely disagree with him being a step down from MW. Folks ran MW out of town because he was handed a really good program and had no clue what he was doing. How many kids regressed under MW? Who actually improved under MW?
Several players Cheese definitely improved under White. White was a consistent tournament team coach, just was unable to make any tournament runs after his first. To say he had no clue what he was doing is ignorant. Golden has more talent than he did last year. Does Golden have no clue what he’s doing? He is getting less with more

Several players Cheese definitely improved under White. White was a consistent tournament team coach, just was unable to make any tournament runs after his first. To say he had no clue what he was doing is ignorant. Golden has more talent than he did last year. Does Golden have no clue what he’s doing? He is getting less with more
I haven’t been impressed with Golden so far but let’s be honest. Not many players improved under Mike White. In fact many players regressed. White was not a good basketball coach.

• Haha
Reactions: Tarjf and DC407
You named 1 kid who improved. Want to name the kids who completely regressed? Why did Kevaughn Allen completely disappear? Same thing with Jalen Hudson. Dude's went from 1st team All-SEC kids to guys who were lost as seniors. Hudson went from: shooting 45% and averaging 16 PPG to shooting 35% and averaging 9 PPG.

Mike White had AN playing a slowed down game, all of a sudden he gets to Gonzaga and can run up and down the court and can do the same in the NBA.

He also thought Kerry Blackshear could handle the same defensive responsibilities as Keyvarius Hayes. Hayes was a track athlete, Blackshear was slow. Yet, he thought Blackshear could switch on PGs and hold his own. Eric Fawcett wrote articles about how bad of a choice that was. UF went from a solid pick and roll defensive team to a poor one and MW stuck with that strategy.

Golden definitely doesn't have more talent than MW did. That's silly. MW had Tyree Appleby looking average, suddenly he's averaging 17 PPG and shooting the ball better than he ever did under MW. Appleby could make 1st team All-ACC.

You named 1 kid who improved. Want to name the kids who completely regressed? Why did Kevaughn Allen completely disappear? Same thing with Jalen Hudson. Dude's went from 1st team All-SEC kids to guys who were lost as seniors. Hudson went from: shooting 45% and averaging 16 PPG to shooting 35% and averaging 9 PPG.

Mike White had AN playing a slowed down game, all of a sudden he gets to Gonzaga and can run up and down the court and can do the same in the NBA.

He also thought Kerry Blackshear could handle the same defensive responsibilities as Keyvarius Hayes. Hayes was a track athlete, Blackshear was slow. Yet, he thought Blackshear could switch on PGs and hold his own. Eric Fawcett wrote articles about how bad of a choice that was. UF went from a solid pick and roll defensive team to a poor one and MW stuck with that strategy.

Golden definitely doesn't have more talent than MW did. That's silly. MW had Tyree Appleby looking average, suddenly he's averaging 17 PPG and shooting the ball better than he ever did under MW. Appleby could make 1st team All-ACC.
Don’t forget Andrew Nembhard as well. White was not good.

• Haha
Reactions: Tarjf
Mike White was a complete an utter disaster. He took players recruited by Billy D and made some tourny runs, then promptly ran the program into the ground.

Golden inherited one of the worst rosters I can imagine. Castelton is super overrated, Jones is garbage, Felder is garbage, Lane is garbage, Jitoboh is garbage, Reeves is streaky at best, and the freshman haven’t contributed at all. The transfers are a hodge podge of athletes that can’t shoot and are still learning to play together. And that was probably the best Golden could do in the portal.

This year is going to suck, but I don’t blame golden. In a couple years, when we still suck and recruiting is crap, then we blame Golden…..and show him the door like we did Mike White.

We were most definitely an “Elite” program under Billy D. We are certainly far far from what Billy D accomplished right now. Heck even take away Billy D’s 2 national titles and we are still nowhere close to that same program.
Not sure anybody is arguing that. Donovan was one of the best coaches in CFB history. I think on the second tier of the Mount Rushmore. Top ten of all time.

Not sure why you hold his comment about being a tournament team against him. What else is he supposed to say? Nope we suck.

Mike White was a complete an utter disaster. He took players recruited by Billy D and made some tourny runs, then promptly ran the program into the ground.

Golden inherited one of the worst rosters I can imagine. Castelton is super overrated, Jones is garbage, Felder is garbage, Lane is garbage, Jitoboh is garbage, Reeves is streaky at best, and the freshman haven’t contributed at all. The transfers are a hodge podge of athletes that can’t shoot and are still learning to play together. And that was probably the best Golden could do in the portal.

This year is going to suck, but I don’t blame golden. In a couple years, when we still suck and recruiting is crap, then we blame Golden…..and show him the door like we did Mike White.
I’m more concerned about recruiting right now.

Generally speaking great teams control the game with their point guard. Not their center.

Perhaps we lack the talent at the point to control the game but putting the game in your centers hands at the top of the arc is worth questioning. And I know little about basketball.

This year is going to suck, but I don’t blame golden. In a couple years, when we still suck and recruiting is crap, then we blame Golden…..and show him the door like we
MW did better with what he had so far. Why get rid of your coach if you are going to regress?

You asked me to name 1 kid 😂 then you say I only mentioned 1 kid. Who cares how much Appebly is scoring if we keep losing m. There’s a lot more to being a good player than scoring. If Mike White is horrible or a disaster, what does that make Golden? Clearly this team has regressed

MW did better with what he had so far. Why get rid of your coach if you are going to regress?
MW always had a more talented roster than this his entire career at UF. His first season he was given Chiozza, D. Rob and Kasey Hill. I think Hill and Robinson were 5*, and Chiozza was a top 100 recruit.

• Haha
You asked me to name 1 kid 😂 then you say I only mentioned 1 kid. Who cares how much Appebly is scoring if we keep losing m. There’s a lot more to being a good player than scoring. If Mike White is horrible or a disaster, what does that make Golden? Clearly this team has regressed
I actually said "name who improved under MW", lol. And all you could do is come up with Chiozza. In 7 years? Just 1 name. Appleby is such a better player away from MW (went from shooting 36% under MW last year to shooting 50% this year). Just like Nembhard. Just like Blackshear was before MW coached him. We can keep going, lol.

Last edited:
MW always had a more talented roster than this his entire career at UF. His first season he was given Chiozza, D. Rob and Kasey Hill. I think Hill and Robinson were 5*, and Chiozza was a top 100 recruit.
Every coach is responsible for the talent on their team. How many transfers did Golden hand pick on this team? Don’t get me wrong, Mike White is not close to being as good of a coach as Billy D. But why fire him to hire a dude that’s a step down? At least MW could get the team into the tournament consistently. I hope he turns things around, but not looking too promising right now.

• Haha
Reactions: DC407
I haven’t been impressed with Golden so far but let’s be honest. Not many players improved under Mike White. In fact many players regressed. White was not a good basketball coach.
He was able to consistently get us into the tournament. How confident are you Golden will be able to do the same?

Every coach is responsible for the talent on their team. How many transfers did Golden hand pick on this team? Don’t get me wrong, Mike White is not close to being as good of a coach as Billy D. But why fire him to hire a dude that’s a step down? At least MW could get the team into the tournament consistently. I hope he turns things around, but not looking too promising right now.
MW didn't make it to the tournament year 1 or his last season, if Golden doesn't in year 1 how is that a step down?

Are you really saying that we should of kept Mike White and kept being mediocre? Just like any other sport. If the coach isn’t doing a good job then he needs to be let go. You take your shot with another coach.

Just saying hey we are ok with being mediocre so let’s just keep him I don’t think is the right answer.

Yes Golden may very well not be good and heck could even be worse than White but if that is the case then we fire him as well.

He was able to consistently get us into the tournament. How confident are you Golden will be able to do the same?
Well Mike White didn’t get UF into the tournament his first year either.

Just getting into the tournament isn’t enough for me. And we were just barely getting into the tournament as it was. How many times were we getting a decent seed?

I don’t know how Golden is going to do. Not sure he’s going to do very good either but I sure as heck don’t want Mike White as our coach either. That clearly wasn’t working.

• Haha
Reactions: Papabear1 and Tarjf
Ya, we didn't have our elite coach anymore.

And now we have gone from making the tournament to not making it. Feel better?

• Haha
Reactions: DC407
They played hard they fought till the end they had the last shot to break a 25 game home winning streak to a to top 20 team. No scoring lulls like white no dribbling until the shot clock is about to expire and throw up a prayer. Billy D took time to get us there and was all but fired by much of the fanbase. The Gators are 7-6 they have played 4 top 25 teams. Going into a hostile environment in the SEC where the team hasn’t lost in 25 games shows me real promise. Castleton scoring had a tough game he struggles whenever he’s double teamed hacked fouled and beaten on all game. Shots weren’t falling enough and we still had the last shot to win. I would have loved to win I saw some promise and enjoyed the game more than any Miguel Blanco I’ve watched in the past 2-3 years.
Go Gators 🐊
Beat Texas A&M

We play Georgia a week from Saturday home in the Golden Dome. 🐊

Reactions: SWFL G8TOR
You clearly don’t know what you are talking about

Are you really saying that we should of kept Mike White and kept being mediocre? Just like any other sport. If the coach isn’t doing a good job then he needs to be let go. You take your shot with another coach.

Just saying hey we are ok with being mediocre so let’s just keep him I don’t think is the right answer.

Yes Golden may very well not be good and heck could even be worse than White but if that is the case then we fire him as well.
I’ve said all along, it’s a dumb move to let MW go unless there is a plan in place for a significant upgrade. You guys got what you wanted. We went from Mac to Muschamp in b-ball. We all knew Golden was a reach when hired, let’s hope he learns on the job fast.

Well Mike White didn’t get UF into the tournament his first year either.

Just getting into the tournament isn’t enough for me. And we were just barely getting into the tournament as it was. How many times were we getting a decent seed?

I don’t know how Golden is going to do. Not sure he’s going to do very good either but I sure as heck don’t want Mike White as our coach either. That clearly wasn’t working.
What do you consider acceptable for a UF basketball coach?

Biggest thing to me, and granted I haven’t been able to watch much with my schedule, is I don’t understand, at all, what we’re trying to do on offense. We use Castleton mostly as a screener 20+ feet from the basket instead of posting him up on the block, so that when he does touch it he’s stupid far from the basket. Plus Lofton has been a massive disappointment which is really hurting us

Last edited:
Biggest thing to me, and granted I haven’t been able to watch much with my schedule, is I don’t understand, at all, what we’re trying to do on offense. We use Castleton mostly as a screener 20+ feet from the basket instead of posting him up on the block, so that when he does tough it he’s stupid far from the basket. Plus Lofton has been a massive disappointment which is really hurting us
Lofton can't get by defenders and is really struggling finishing at the rim.

Just not athletic enough for SEC and not skilled enough to make up for lack of athleticism
Agreed and maybe Golden's biggest mistake in the offseason. I also don't think he was the staff's first choice at PG. The kid that went to UGA was. Let's also not forget that all the Portal/Recruiting guru's loved Lofton.

I wish they would give Aberdeen some minutes.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT