ADVERTISEMENT

🏀 MBB GAME THREAD 🏀 Florida Gators 🐊 Vs Grambling State 🏀 Today 4:00pm SEC NETWORK PLUS🏀

KearsedGator42

Bull Gator
Gold Member
Nov 29, 2021
Header logo
VS
Grambling State University Logo

22 (Fri) 4 PM
SEC_Network_.png
Gator Sports Network from LEARFIELD

vs
Grambling State
Gainesville, FL Exactech Arena at Stephen C. O'Connell Center
* When: Friday, 4 p.m. (ET)
* Where: Exactech Arena/O'Connell Center / Gainesville, Fla.
* Records: Florida (8-3) / Grambling State (2-9)
* TV: SEC Network+ (Kyle Crooks and Patric Young)
* Radio: Gator Sports Network from LEARFIELD (Sean Kelley, Lee Humphrey and Steve Egan) / Stations list
* Ticket info

Florida vs. Grambling State​

Projected Starters​

021_Samuel_Tyrese__231219_8882_MaddieWashburn.jpg
UF forward Tyrese Samuel (right)
FloridaPositionHeight / WeightClassStatistics
Tyrese SamuelF6-10 / 239Graduate14.5 pts / 8.6 reb
Micah HandlogtenC7-1 / 235Sophomore7.1 pts / 7.1 reb
Will RichardG6-4 / 206Junior10.4 pts / 4.3 reb
Riley KugelG6-5 / 207Sophomore11.6 pts / 4.2 reb
Walter Clayton Jr.G6-2 / 195Junior16.1 pts / 4.2 reb / 3.4 ast
Grambling StatePositionHeight / WeightClassStatistics
Jalen JohnsonF6-8 / Graduate9.1 pts / 4.2 reb
Jonathan AkuF6-11 / 255Senior4.5 pts / 5.9 reb
Antwan BurnettG6-5 / Sophomore9.0 pts / 5.5 reb
Mikale StevensonG6-2 / Sophomore5.2 pts / 2.2 reb
Kintavious DozierG6-1 / Junior16.1 pts / 2.1 reb

The Breakdown​

041_Richard_Will_Pullin_Zyon__231219_0027_MaddieWashburn.jpg
Will Richard (5) and Zyon Pullin (0)

Setup / Series / Last Meeting​

Florida takes on Grambling State in a matinee at the O'Dome that will represent the final game before the Gators break for the Christmas holiday. ... The Gators have won a season-high four straight following Tuesday night's 106-101 double-overtime thriller over Michigan in the second Jumpman Invitational at Charlotte, N.C. The Tigers, out of the Southwestern Athletic Conference, have lost seven straight after Wednesday night's 48-47 defeat at Southeastern Louisiana and are on a run of six straight road games in six different states. ... The game will mark the first between the two programs.

Tale of the Tape​

FloridaStatisticsGrambling
84.5Scoring 64.3
.455Field-goal percentage .432
.3163-point percentage.266
75.4Scoring defense76.3
.422Field-goal percentage defense.477
.3573-point percentage defense.409
36thKenPom.com overall ranking319th
32ndKenPom.comoffensive efficiency331st
53rdKenPom.comdefensive efficiency268th
15thKenPom.com adjusted tempo321st
54thNCAA Evaluation Tool (NET) ranking346th
77thOverall strength of schedule ranking135th

Team Snapshots​

The Gators​

Michigan is not expected to compete for a Big Ten title this season, but the win over the Wolverines was significant in a number of reasons; mostly because of the way the Gators competed
048_HappyGators_Condon_Alex_Haugh_Thomas__231219_9742_MaddieWashburn.jpg
UF freshmen Alex Condon (left) and Thomas Haugh while playing from behind most of the game before using depth to overtake and finish a huge win that took 50 minutes. The game included a couple victorious firsts for Coach Todd Golden, namely a non-league win over a marquee, brand-name opponent, as well as his first (in 19 tries) with the Gators when trailing with five minutes to play. ... Reserve point guard Zyon Pullin sparked the comeback by hopping off the bench for a team-high 22 points on 6-for-13 from the floor, 2-for-2 from 3 and 8-for-10 from the free-throw line to go with five assists and just one turnover in nearly 39 minutes. His plus-12 ratio was a game-high. ... Forward Tyrese Samuel posted his fourth double-double with 21 points, 11 rebounds (six on the offensive end) and three blocks, but continued his struggles (and the team's) at the free-throw line, where he was just three of eight. Florida is shooting just 65.2 percent from the line as a team. ... Guard/Forward Will Richard scored 15 of his 17 points after halftime, with some huge shots during the comeback and takeover stretches of the game. ... Junior guard Walter Clayton Jr.was just 5-for-18 from the floor, but had seven points in the second overtime, with a dagger 3 during an 11-0 run that put the game away. He also had eight rebounds. ... The offensive struggles of sophomore guard Riley Kugel continued for a fourth straight game. The preseason All-SEC selection made just two of 10 field-goal tries and missed all five attempts from 3. Over the last four games he's 9-for-37 from the floor (24.3 percent) and 1-for-18 from deep (5.5 percent). To Kugel's credit, however, he's maintained a high level of play on the defensive end that has made it difficult to take him off the floor. ... Backup freshman center Alex Condonhad another terrific performance off the bench, with 14 points, six rebounds and three blocks. Backup freshman forward Thomas Haugh had five points, with game-tying 3 in the second half, three boards and a block in less than nine minutes. ... Center Micah Handlogtencame a point and rebound shy of a double-double in his 24 minutes, finishing with nine points and nine rebounds. He made four of five field-goal attempts, including his lone try from 3. Handlogten is now 4-for-4 from the arc on the season. Defenders will have to honor him out there. ... Backup sophomore guard Denzel Aberdeen got his first meaningful minutes this month and had two points and three steals in 10 minutes. ... The UF defense limited UM, one of nation's best in effective field-goal percentage and offensive efficiency, to just 23.3 percent shooting over the final 12 minutes of regulation and two overtimes. The Gators also blocked 10 shots.

The Tigers​

It's their seventh season under Donte Jackson, who's 99-87 in his tenure and in '22-23 guided Grambling to its first SWAC regular-season championship since 1989. That team went 24-9,
HDS_1204.jpg
Grambling point guard Kintavious Dozier (5)tying the record for most wins in a season since GSU joined Division I in 1977. Unfortunately, the Tigers lost to Texas Southern in the SWAC Tournament title game, denying them what would have been a historic program milestone (see "Numbers of Note" below). ... Jackson was named the league's 2023 Coach of the Year, but the program lost nearly its entire roster to graduation or the transfer portal. ... Grambling is 0-7 on the road this season, with its two wins coming against non-D1 programs. The Tigers beat NAIA North Texas-Dallas by 25 and Champion Christian, a member of the Association of Christian Colleges, by 40 around a 32-point loss at Colorado. Among the seven losses in the current losing skid were scores of 92-37 at Iowa State, 76-46 at Dayton and 83-65 at Washington State. In GSU's last outing, the one-point loss at SW Louisiana, the Tigers scored just 16 points in the first half, but took a one-point lead on a Kintavious Dozier 3-point with 33 seconds remaining, but surrendered the eventual game-winning bucket with 20 seconds to go. ... Dozier, the point guard, is a junior college transfer from Gadsden (Ala.) State, where he averaged 27.8 points per game. He's shooting 52.3 percent from the floor, 32.2 from the arc and 85.3 from the free-throw line on a team-high 38 trips. ... Forward Jalen Johnson, a transfer from Wisconsin-Milwaukee, is the team's only other scorer averaging in double figures. ... The Tigers' size comes mostly in Jonathan Aku, transfer from Stephen F. Austin, who is at 55.6 percent from the floor, without a 3-point attempt this season. The Gators, one of the nation's best rebouding teams, should have their way on the glass.

Numbers of Note​

_gallery_dl_photos_2_jax_960x400_1901.jpg
Erving Walker (11) and the Gators lost to cross-state foe Jacksonville on Dec. 20, 2010, in what was the final game before Christmas break for a Florida team that went on to win the SEC regular-season championship.
* .739 — Florida winning's percentage this century in the last game before the Christmas break, based on a 16-7 record. All six of the losses are since 2007 and came against Ohio State, South Alabama, Kansas State (twice), Utah State, Florida State and Oklahoma. The South Alabama game was the lone home game.

* 0 — All-time NCAA Tournament appearances for Grambling State.

* 11:18 — Minutes during the win over Michigan (out of a possible 50) the Gators led, including the last 3:04 of the second overtime.

* 30:38 — Minutes during the win over Michigan the Gators trailed, in a game that featured 16 lead changes and 11 ties.

* 2012-13 — The season Grambling State went 0-28 and lost every game by double-digits, except for the last one, a 59-51 defeat against Alabama A&M in first-round play of the SWAC Tournament. In the previous six seasons under Jackson, who took over in 2017, the Tigers have just one losing season.

Bottom Line​

The last game before Christmas getaway is always a dangerous scenario, but it's tough to envision the Gators sleepwalking for 40 minutes against an opponent ranked among the bottom 10 percent in Division I.

Thread Courtesy of Chris Harry
Florida Gators Staff Writer

Print Friendly Version

Thanks Again To @gator1776 who so generously provided myself and Big Rob @rstonegator 2 tickets for today’s game. Doctor Claus 🩺 🎅🏼 We will do you proud in your absence. For anyone trying to spot us in the crowd look for a very big guy and a vertical challenged one. We will be the ones in Orange and Blue. We look like Arnold and Devito in Twins except Robs bigger than Arnold and I’m rounder than Devito. 😎🐊

If anyone is going to be at the game shoot me a message and let me know we will meet up. 🐊

Enjoy The Game Y’all It Should Be A Game To Work On Some Shots and Definitely Foul Shots. Get Things A Little More Buttoned Up And Ready For The SEC Schedule!!! 🐊

Go Gators 🐊 Beat Grambling State

Merry Christmas Everyone 🎁🎅🏼

Please be careful and if your driving for the holiday buckle up and Arrive Alive ✅

Need to win this one handily. I am still traumatized by the MW years where we would inevitably lose at least one of these games every year. Need to play to our potential and finish OOC strong.

• Love
Reactions: KearsedGator42
I saw that Patrick Young is on the call on the game I haven’t seen much about him lately. I’m so happy to finally hear he’s back around. 🙏🏻 I was having a discussion the other night with a family member saying I haven’t seen him and hoped nothing was wrong with his rehab? Does anybody know anything? Any latest talk about how he’s doing? Why he’s been absent from SEC shows and calls on TV? They got so desperate when they played in South Florida for that Orange Bowl Classic Chris Harry had to join the tv call. 🐊

Go Gators 🐊 Beat Grambling

Leaving to the game in 30 mins💪🏼
🐊🐊🐊🐊🐊🐊🐊🐊🐊🐊🐊🐊

Reactions: DGlockUF
Place is empty. Who scheduled a game at 4PM on Friday? Yikes. Glad I can watch on my iPad at work.

Grambling cuts the lead to 4. Yikes. And finally a foul called on them.

Tough to be fired up if your the Gators. Place is empty. A few days from Christmas. A 2-9 team. It will likely end up lopsided. And a big 3 from Will Richard. Maybe he will find his range for the SEC opener.

It’s wonderful! A Gator game late afternoon at the outset of Christmas weekend. Patric Young on the color commentary, knowledgable and amiable as ever. A 44-27 halftime lead. And it’s GATOR BASKETBALL 🏀⛹️‍♂️🏀⛹️‍♂️🏀

I saw that Patrick Young is on the call on the game I haven’t seen much about him lately. I’m so happy to finally hear he’s back around. 🙏🏻 I was having a discussion the other night with a family member saying I haven’t seen him and hoped nothing was wrong with his rehab? Does anybody know anything? Any latest talk about how he’s doing? Why he’s been absent from SEC shows and calls on TV? They got so desperate when they played in South Florida for that Orange Bowl Classic Chris Harry had to join the tv call. 🐊

Go Gators 🐊 Beat Grambling

Leaving to the game in 30 mins💪🏼
🐊🐊🐊🐊🐊🐊🐊🐊🐊🐊🐊🐊
Young had had a very bad year healthwise.....significant time in the hospital. I'm actually pleasantly surprised he has recovered enough to work. I think things were pretty grim at times the last few months

Reactions: dtcliffo
Young had had a very bad year healthwise.....significant time in the hospital. I'm actually pleasantly surprised he has recovered enough to work. I think things were pretty grim at times the last few months
Knew something about it. Thanks for telling more, Apopka.

Reactions: ApkGator21
Condon is going to be a GREAT Gator player as he continues to mature. He's an athletic big!

Reactions: dtcliffo
Richard is on 🔥.

And that was a great alley-oop!

Looking forward to the SEC schedule.

Go Gators!

My Uncle was a quadriplegic after a life as a firefighter. The guy was as strong willed as you can get. While he kept a positive attitude the best he could, the body just doesn’t react well to not moving.

Glad to see Patrick is back at it.

Reactions: ApkGator21
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT