ADVERTISEMENT

Why does Nuss Keep....

I am certainly not calling him a QB genius, all I am saying is #s overrates the position coach/coordinator history of these guys. Wether he is a manager or a genius position guy he gets the desired end result. Mac may be great a QB development but if he can't delivernational titles, who really cares

Fair point. Oddly, if you look the run of SEC titles, none of those coaches were guys who really were QB gurus.

In fact, off the top of my head, in the last 20 years, the only guys to win national titles who were QB gurus would only be Jimbo and Spurrier.

Now granted, other teams had great QBs, but that wasn't their coach's speciality.

It's fair to say Urban isn't an X's and O's guy, I mean he's never even been a coordinator. IIRC he was a WR coach before his first gig, not too sure on that though. He's admitted he pretty much went to a bunch of spread gurus like Rich Rod and Koetter and basically blended all their concepts into one offense. So you gotta give him credit for thinking outside the box and doing that, but he doesn't really own a system or anything.

That said, much as I hate him you can't deny that he manages the hell out of a program. The coaching job he did with the 06' team I thought was his best coaching job in his entire time at UF. And last year was just ridiculous. I can't remember a team winning a title with a backup much less a 3rd string guy, even though that 3rd string guy is more talented that a lot of teams' 1st team guy. Got nothing but respect for what he did last year, I can't hate on it as much as I want to.

Anyone a little nervous about our new OC? I didn't think it was a great hire but hope McElwain keeps the offense humming along. Just saw that Nuss ran the ball basically 60% of the time while OC at Bama and Michigan.

roll.r191677.gif

Originally posted by JD Gator:
LOL. Have you not read the thread, Fever?
I guess I should have asked if people are getting more nervous now that its getting pretty clear we will probably be running his offense and not anything like was ran at CSU. The players at Michigan said he was definitely a run first and often type of coach.

Originally posted by Gator Fever:
I guess I should have asked if people are getting more nervous now that its getting pretty clear we will probably be running his offense and not anything like was ran at CSU. The players at Michigan said he was definitely a run first and often type of coach.
I am on a short leash here but I will say on several occassiona I saw Brady freakin Hoke have to override Nus's playcalling.

As for traditional pro set, anyone who tried to say it would be anything else was simply ignoring the facts and being naive

How is that "pretty clear?" I mean, the part about what will be run here?

A couple of players have made comments about pro set this and that etc.and the little the reporters have talked about seem to be pro set formations. I am sure there will be some wrinkles but I guess McElwain thinks that is the best style for us.

A couple of players have made comments about pro set this and that etc.and the little the reporters have talked about seem to be pro set formations. I am sure there will be some wrinkles but I guess McElwain thinks that is the best style for us.
Thanks- yeah, since I posted the question, I've seen what you're referring to.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT