ADVERTISEMENT

Why does Nuss Keep....

It is pretty obvious right night now isn't it? Where have you been the last 4 years? We are asking and coaching these guys to do things they were never really coached or asked to do under Muschamp. Total change in philosophy from prior regime.

Meh, this steep learning curve stuff is so overrated. At worst they're learning new terminology. A flag route is a flag route in any system and on and on. What big change are we undergoing? A few more snaps under center? I mean taking a snap under center is like the first thing I learned in 7th grade, it just isn't that big a deal. All new coaches talk about having this steep learning curve with their system but football is football. Both Grier and Harris are coaches sons, I'm sure they'll pick up whatever we're doing just fine. Neither strike me as unintelligent.

Michi, it's a new coaching staff. If you can't keep from trashing them until you've seen at least one bloody snap, we're going to have an issue.

Originally posted by oozie7:
Meh, this steep learning curve stuff is so overrated. At worst they're learning new terminology. A flag route is a flag route in any system and on and on. What big change are we undergoing? A few more snaps under center? I mean taking a snap under center is like the first thing I learned in 7th grade, it just isn't that big a deal. All new coaches talk about having this steep learning curve with their system but football is football. Both Grier and Harris are coaches sons, I'm sure they'll pick up whatever we're doing just fine. Neither strike me as unintelligent.
I disagree a little bit. Their is a complete philosophy change and mentality overhaul going on the offensive side of the ball right now. Sure a flag route is a flag route, but that isn't what the learning curve that is being referenced is about. Some of the players have even made comments that things are a bit different.

When you go from Two back pro, to multiple, to spread, then back to pro over a 5 year span there's going to be a learning curve pretty much every year

A flag route is a flag route, but in most offenses the receiver is supposed to read the coverage along with the QB and adjust his route accordingly. So a lot of times a receiver won't know if he's running a flag route when he lines up

not a ton of colleges read zone option routes, unless they trust the WR and QB to the fullest. That's how you see QB's throw pick sixes when a WR breaks off a route or keeps going when the QB sees something different, in college most check with me routes are just simple signals for a slant or vert when they read man bump with inside or outside leverage. Most times at this level when you know what route you are running out of the huddle, that's the one you will be running. Unless the QB checks out of a run but you will know what the check could be to out of the huddle as well.

The route adjustments are typically the same, the holes in coverages remain the same from defense to defense with a few slight alterations. Like for example if we call 4-vert, the inside guys will always turn their streak into a post against Cover 3 or 4. Pretty standard across offenses.

Yea, the only trouble guys would have getting used to the offense is the different route combos from one offense to the next. Some offenses number them from the outside in and some use names for the routes/package and or play. For example, the X is outside then the z is inside, if you have a 9/3 concept the X would be running the vert and the inside guy is running an odd number route which would be to the outside, and in most offenses this 3 route would be a 5 yard speed out. But some teams use names and would just call it a type of smash route combo. And if you have a motion by the inside WR it would shift from one sid of the field to the other.. You would then obviously have 3 WR's to the other side or a bunch and would have something like 5/7/9

Originally posted by 46885:
Yea, the only trouble guys would have getting used to the offense is the different route combos from one offense to the next. Some offenses number them from the outside in and some use names for the routes/package and or play. For example, the X is outside then the z is inside, if you have a 9/3 concept the X would be running the vert and the inside guy is running an odd number route which would be to the outside, and in most offenses this 3 route would be a 5 yard speed out. But some teams use names and would just call it a type of smash route combo. And if you have a motion by the inside WR it would shift from one sid of the field to the other.. You would then obviously have 3 WR's to the other side or a bunch and would have something like 5/7/9
Yep! Terminology changes, but the concepts are almost universal. Hopefully the coaches stick to terminology both guys are familiar with to kill much of the learning curve.

By the way, Chris Hatcher used to have his odd numbered routes breaking it, it was the weirdest thing I ever learned. Any offense I've been in odd-numbers were always outside breaking. You start with the 1 which is the speed out, 3 which is the 10 yard out, 5 is and outside curl, 7 the flag, and 9 the go.

Well, there's your problem, assuming we have 3 real WRs on the roster...
smile.r191677.gif

Given the perspective of several folks here with recent football background, it seems experienced ball players shouldn't have a problem learning UF's offense. If the offense struggles again...will it be valid to say it's because of the new system and a steep learning curve...or will that just be an excuse? The OP asked why Nuss keeps saying it's a steep learning curve...is he just buying some room in case things don't go well?

What are we going to run on offense this season? I thought it would probably be more like what McElwain ran at CSU but the articles keep calling it pro style usually. I have a bad feeling if we try to run what McElwain ran at Bama as we don't have the players on the O line etc. to pull that off successfully imo.

Originally posted by JD Gator:
Michi, it's a new coaching staff. If you can't keep from trashing them until you've seen at least one bloody snap, we're going to have an issue.
Gotcha, but I really haven't been nice about Nuss yet.

Originally posted by Gator Fever:
What are we going to run on offense this season? I thought it would probably be more like what McElwain ran at CSU but the articles keep calling it pro style usually. I have a bad feeling if we try to run what McElwain ran at Bama as we don't have the players on the O line etc. to pull that off successfully imo.
Numbers and others seem to think we will see the CSU offense. Everything I hear and see seems to point to the McElwain/Nuss traditional offenses at Bama. Hearing LOTS of under center and power running stuff being discussed. Just like I don't believe he hasn't 'picked' a starter, but if you look at our QB targets for 2016 I think its pretty clear which way he wants to go.

This post was edited on 3/23 7:12 PM by Michi-Gator

I think it's going to be a multiple offense.

You're hearing about taking snaps from under center because we will be taking snaps from under center, but we will also run out of the shotgun.

These guys pretty much have zero experience with it, so instead of focusing on taking shotgun snaps, focus on building the muscle memory and confidence that is needed from proper mechanics when snapping the ball and dropping back.

You want to make everyone, including the center, comfortable there so that there's less risk when running what is basically a foreign concept to these young guys.

I do have to add though that im with Michi on Nuss. It's the only thing I haven't liked since Mac was hired. But....I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt for now because he has tended to work on heavily defensive minded coaches like Saban and Hoke.

Nuss was not near the top of my OC wish list. In fact, he wasn't even on it. I just think judging the guy ahead of time, based on the assumption that the offense under Mac will look the same as previous stops, is unfair. Many are of the opinion that our defensive-minded (to the extent he is 'minded' at all) prior head coach tampered with our OCs, to their detriment. Perhaps our offensive minded HC will tamper, and will augment. Or perhaps the two previous defensive minded head coaches tampered, to the detriment of Nuss. point is, we don't know yet, so don't bash the guy based on what you don't know.

Originally posted by 93nole99:
Given the perspective of several folks here with recent football background, it seems experienced ball players shouldn't have a problem learning UF's offense. If the offense struggles again...will it be valid to say it's because of the new system and a steep learning curve...or will that just be an excuse? The OP asked why Nuss keeps saying it's a steep learning curve...is he just buying some room in case things don't go well?
If we are in the 90's again...then yes it will be an excuse. Hell even Roper improved us 20 spots and he had Driskel. And if he had the lost game against Idaho we probably get 500+ yards and our offense finishes in the top 60 ish last year. Still not good, but a huge improvement from the 113th or whatever it is we were.

Now I don't expect our offense to be good, we just aren't that talented over there. So that won't be a coaching issue. I do expect us to be top 60 ish though, we have enough talent to at least do that. If we're 90+ again though, a new system won't be a valid excuse.

By the way Michi, I don't think we'll be running the proset. The only time McElwain has run that is when he's been under Saban. At Fresno and at CSU they ran a pass-first spread. The QB's taking snaps under center doesn't mean anything because from what I see that's just to give us a decent run element. McElwain pushing tempo and shots down field tells me we're leaning more spread.

Originally posted by oozie7:

Originally posted by 93nole99:
If we are in the 90's again...then yes it will be an excuse. Hell even Roper improved us 20 spots and he had Driskel. And if he had the lost game against Idaho we probably get 500+ yards and our offense finishes in the top 60 ish last year. Still not good, but a huge improvement from the 113th or whatever it is we were.

Now I don't expect our offense to be good, we just aren't that talented over there. So that won't be a coaching issue. I do expect us to be top 60 ish though, we have enough talent to at least do that. If we're 90+ again though, a new system won't be a valid excuse.

By the way Michi, I don't think we'll be running the proset. The only time McElwain has run that is when he's been under Saban. At Fresno and at CSU they ran a pass-first spread. The QB's taking snaps under center doesn't mean anything because from what I see that's just to give us a decent run element. McElwain pushing tempo and shots down field tells me we're leaning more spread.
Not really sure what to take away from last year's offense. We did end up higher but yardage per game was about the same as the year before until Driskel got yanked in favor of Harris and we played Miami instead of a cupcake the prior season so that would even out the not having the 2nd joke game. Also I think the points per game up until Driskel being benched was only higher due to that first game blowout we had. It almost pointed to the offense only improving some due to Driskel being yanked finally.

I feel like most here have seen negative for so long out of the offense that they just expect even a new staff to be inept and awful.. I think the offense will be what Mac said it will be, whatever fits our team, that's all I can take out of it is what he has said and what i've seen him do at multiple different places. He's changed it up to fit what the team can do... and he's been successful everywhere doing just that

I think in a few years we will have a full out great offensive attack that we haven't seen in a long time, this staff is going to get players and they are going to coach them up. Im not worried about the future at all, I think we will be back in the Championship picture in two years, and there to stay.

I expect a multiple offense, but I believe we'll run the majority of our plays out of the pistol. We will go under center but not that much, mostly pistol and shotgun. We will use 2 TEs frequently. I really don't expect to see a pro set, but, really, we're all speculating here, Michi, maybe you should hold on to your criticism when you or nobody else really knows what type of offense we are going to run.

Oh Dear. Another passive/aggressive thread trashing the offense...before it ever takes the field.

BONG has not left. He is posting as Michi

Originally posted by GSMBrefugee:
Because the 2010 offense, even though it was terrible, was far better than the latter 4 years.
Really......
cause we averaged more ppg last year than in 2010

I remember that 2010 offense being the worst of them all..
I viewed it bad because of the dropoff from 2009 and all those early bad snaps but without looking at stats I thought it was slightly better then the years after it. I would like to see how our SEC games offensive stats compare in those years.

We were running dive, wildcat then bringing in the passing QB on 3rd and 12's running 5 yard in combo routes into each other. I've never seen worse than that other than Greg Davis offenses

Originally posted by JD Gator:
noudint_zpsytfbkwug.gif

Lol in 2010 we had Reed and Burton pretending to be QBs and then asking Beantley to bail us out on 3rd and long every time.

But sure...Meyer never misses on QBs.

Meyer has asbsolutely no f***ing idea how to produce a QB nor develop one... The credit he gets are for all the wrong things and it's simply comical... Urban is nothing more than a business manager with great talent and great coaches around him...

Meyer has asbsolutely no f***ing idea how to produce a QB nor develop one... The credit he gets are for all the wrong things and it's simply comical... Urban is nothing more than a business manager with great talent and great coaches around him...
Like many gators I was not pleased with the end of Meyers tenure. With the success Urban has produced at each and every stop there is no way to reasonably avoid giving him credit as a big winner. The coaching staff around Urban has changed from year to year and program to program yet he continues to stand out among his coaching brethren. I don't think Meyer is as meticulous as Nick Saban. He seems to win because of overwhelming emotional intensity and focus. Urban despises losing so much it makes him ill.

meyerbcs-265x300.jpg

Nevermind that he just won a national title, via playoff, with a 3rd string QB.

roll.r191677.gif

My God.

Michi...come on man.

Burton, Reed, Murphy, Brantley, Driskel.

Those were the QBs he signed/kept since 2007.

I know you love him and his ability to beat up Michiganbut come on.

He's NOT a QB genius. Hell, the first guy he signed at UF was Josh Portis and while Cam was here, he could throw an accurate pass over ten yards in practice.

Let reality be what it is.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT