ADVERTISEMENT

What would it take?

sadgator

Bull Gator
Jan 9, 2002
Copper Monkey 30 minutes prior to kickoff
Ok...ok...sadgator fully acknowledges and understands that this ain’t happening and everybody is gonna jump his sh!t for even suggesting it...

However, we currently sit at 14-11 with 6 to go...

They can realistically get Vandy, UGA, and Missouri...

If they happen to pick up 1 more over LSUX2 or UK that makes 18...

Would 20 get them them in if they picked up 2 in the SECT?

Probably would be close at 20.

Ok...ok...sadgator fully acknowledges and understands that this ain’t happening and everybody is gonna jump his sh!t for even suggesting it...

I was thinking along these lines. I think they need to split with LSU and beat UK, or else beat LSU twice. Couple wins in the SECT would help. It’s not impossible they could win it. But I’d say they’re at least 2-1 against to make the tourney.

I think 18-13 with a win over LSU gets us in with how soft the bubble looks like it will be. Anything short of that probably means a run in the tournament will be needed.

Reactions: NorthJerseyGator
Just posted this on another thread, but it works here too... ;)

Toughest Schedule in the SEC = Florida, with 13 Quad 1 games, and #14 coming tonight.

The metrics change daily (and are affected by every game), but through 25 games UF is 3-10 in Q-1 games, with those 13 games being the most any SEC team has played. Had they started and played with their full roster all season, things might be different. But against that monster schedule with several close losses by failing to finish out games they were ahead in, they are sitting on the 'In-Out' bubble

. Because the Gators have played such an ambitious schedule, they awoke Wednesday as the No. 33 team in the NET. The Tigers are No. 14, meaning a 14th Q-1 game will go in the books Wednesday night, with two more coming on the UF schedule next month: March 6 vs. LSU at Gainesville and March 9 at Kentucky.

So far, they are rated as having 3 'Good Wins' and zero 'Bad Losses.' That is good, because the NCAA Selection Committee gives the 'stink eye' to bubble teams with bad losses late in the season. An 18-win regular season may also be enough for a team that's played one of the nation's toughest schedules in a crazy 2018-19 season when the bubble doesn't look all that impressive.

Considering the deficiencies in the roster and the SoS, I think that Mike White and his staff have done an excellent job of giving the players a chance at dancing. Now the finish to the season is up to them. Now we see if the 'team' wants it (NCAA bid) bad enough...

People bashing White obviously didn’t look at Billy D’s resume. His last year was 16-17. I think he got burned out.
LOL!! Really?? Is this a joke? Yeah Billy D’s resume isn’t very impressive.

He went 36-3 and to the Final Four the previous year.

He only has 2 national titles, 1 national runner up, 1 Final four & 3 Elite 8s

Last edited:
Reactions: bradleygator
Listen to the coach, play the scheme and stick to the game plan, MAKE YOUR SHOTS. o_O

That 'WAY TO WIN' hasn't changed all season.
The difference now is the players coming together as a 'TEAM' and getting it done.

Once you're in the Dance, no matter your W/L record or your seed,,, win 6 games in a row and you're the NC. GooooooooooGATORS! :)

Just posted this on another thread, but it works here too... ;)

Toughest Schedule in the SEC = Florida, with 13 Quad 1 games, and #14 coming tonight.

The metrics change daily (and are affected by every game), but through 25 games UF is 3-10 in Q-1 games, with those 13 games being the most any SEC team has played. Had they started and played with their full roster all season, things might be different. But against that monster schedule with several close losses by failing to finish out games they were ahead in, they are sitting on the 'In-Out' bubble

. Because the Gators have played such an ambitious schedule, they awoke Wednesday as the No. 33 team in the NET. The Tigers are No. 14, meaning a 14th Q-1 game will go in the books Wednesday night, with two more coming on the UF schedule next month: March 6 vs. LSU at Gainesville and March 9 at Kentucky.

So far, they are rated as having 3 'Good Wins' and zero 'Bad Losses.' That is good, because the NCAA Selection Committee gives the 'stink eye' to bubble teams with bad losses late in the season. An 18-win regular season may also be enough for a team that's played one of the nation's toughest schedules in a crazy 2018-19 season when the bubble doesn't look all that impressive.

Considering the deficiencies in the roster and the SoS, I think that Mike White and his staff have done an excellent job of giving the players a chance at dancing. Now the finish to the season is up to them. Now we see if the 'team' wants it (NCAA bid) bad enough...
Insta - I'm not sure where you get that UF has the toughest schedule in the SEC. This is Realtime RPI/SOS, which shows us 8th in the SEC RPI and 6th in SOS.
http://realtimerpi.com/rpi_sec_Men.html

ocala, list all of the other SEC teams that have played 14 Quad-1 opponents.
That will show you where I'm coming from... :cool:

ocala, list all of the other SEC teams that have played 14 Quad-1 opponents.
That will show you where I'm coming from... :cool:
Understand, but that doesn't make their strength of schedule or RPI the best in the conference. They are in the middle of the pack in both. Also, just playing Quad 1 opponents doesn't mean much if you don't win a bunch and they're 3-10 against them. Most of the SEC is, in fact, miserable against Quad 1 opponents, with only Kentucky (9-3), LSU (7-2), & Miss. St. (8-4) having winning records vs. Quad. 1 schools. Take a look.
http://warrennolan.com/basketball/2019/conference/SEC

Stop. You're totally correct. :cool:

Taking over a 16-17 team and only taking them to an NIT is crap coaching.
Then taking that team to consecutive NCAA's is a sure thing at UF for any coach now days.
The 2nd NCAA (Elite-8) was without a healthy starting center.
Giving his 4th injury plagued team with zero starting centers (2 PF's playing center) a chance to make it to their 3rd NCAA is just luck and it's all on the great players individual skills, with nothing to do with coaching. :rolleyes:

Mike White's teams have played chump schedules.
Mike White's teams can't win big games.
Mike White can't improve any players skills, they all regress.
Mike White can't recruit 5 star Micky-D's that stay for 4-5 years.
Mike White will never win a NC at UF, so fire his useless ass now...

That should cover it.... ;)

The fact is that Florida's strength of schedule is not the toughest in the SEC by a long shot (6th), nor is their RPI (8th). The number of Quad 1 games does not equate to RPI nor SOS. It's just another statistic being used. And yes, the Gators have played 1 or 2 more Quad 1 games than anybody else in the SEC, and in a few cases more than that. But they only have a 3-10 record in those games and their RPI and SOS are only in the middle of the pack. Although I'm impressed with their recent wins over Alabama and LSU, their season has been an overall disappointment to me. There are a lot of reasons for that, but the bottom line is I believe they should have won more games than they have. I'm hopeful they finish well and hope even more that next year sees a return to the Top 20. Time will tell.

Last edited:
Reactions: IrishPokerDog
The fact is that Florida's strength of schedule is not the toughest in the SEC by a long shot (6th), nor is their RPI (8th). The number of Quad 1 games does not equate to RPI nor SOS. It's just another statistic being used. And yes, the Gators have played 1 or 2 more Quad 1 games than anybody else in the SEC, and in a few cases more than that. But they only have a 3-10 record in those games and their RPI and SOS are only in the middle of the pack. Although I'm impressed with their recent wins over Alabama and LSU, their season has been an overall disappointment to me. There are a lot of reason for that, but the bottom line is I believe they should have won more games than they have. I'm hopeful they finish well and hope even more that next year sees a return to the Top 20. Time will tell.
well if we lose to this awful Missouri team that would be a real kick in the pants.

I also agree with you. I think this team has severely underachieved this year.

Severely underachieved is a big stretch. Allen is the only guy who can put the ball in the basket. And they are small. Johnson is 6’5, starting at pf. Small and bad shooters is generally not a great mix. Getting this team in the tourney would be a great job by coach. And it looks like they might get there.

There are 68 Teams that get an NCAA invite.
Going into the Mizzou game, UF was NET ranked at #33.

Quad positions are updated constantly, this listings is as of 2-24-19

31. Florida -- Q1 2-10 -- Q2 5-0 -- Q3 4-1 -- Q4 5-0

That's 7 'Good (Q1-2) Wins, with ZERO bad (Q4) losses... o_O

Minus from the playing roster:

C Gak 6-11 254 (all season)
PF C.Johnson 6-9 225 (3 concussions, xfer out in late Dec)
PF K.Stone 6-8 253 (injured out since Jan 20th)

It now looks like Mike will be taking his team to their 3rd consecutive NCAA Dance. Name all of the other UF, or SEC coaches that have taken a losing (16-17) team to the NIT their 1st year at a school, and then followed that up with 3 consecutive trips to the Big Dance, with an Elite-8 in their 2nd season? o_O (crickets)

This is part of an article from Chris Harry from FloridaGators.com:
GET READY
"The last time Florida won at Vanderbilt the Gators needed Scottie Wilbekin, Patric Young, Casey Pratherand Will Yeguete to do it. Guess what? Scottie and his friends aren't walking through that Memorial Gymnasium door Wednesday. UF has lost its last four visits to Vandy by six, one, two, and three points, respectively, and that includes defeats each of the last two seasons when the Gators took NCAA Tournament teams to Nashville. UF fell last season to a Vandy squad that went on to finish 12-20 overall and 6-12 in league play. And things are worse up there in 2019. The Commodores are 0-14 against the SEC this season, with nine losses by double-digits. In their Feb. 13 meeting in Gainesville, the Gators trailed by two at the half, led by just one with six minutes to go and ultimately fended off a 26-point, 9-rebound performance from freshman guard Aaron Nesmith to win, 66-57. Nothing can be taken for granted against a Commodores team that is not going to finish winless in an 18-game league season. Same with a home game next weekend against Georgia, which will start the week with eight straight losses overall and 12 straight in SEC play. The Bulldogs, whose lone league win came at home against Vandy, lost two games this week by one point each, both to likely NCAA Tournament teams in Mississippi State (68-67) and Ole Miss (72-71). And right before those two losses, Georgia fell to first-place LSU by just four, 83-79. Just like Vandy isn't going winless, Coach Tom Crean's first UGA team is not going to finish 1-17. Beware of the cellar-dwellers this time of year."

It's a little early to declare the we're in the NCAA tournament. Experts may project us there right now, but lose to Vandy and/or Georgia and we're facing the prospect off needing to beat LSU again or Kentucky to get in.

Based on the most recent rankings, UF is down to 11 Quad 1 opponents. Teams float in and out of Quads 1,2 3,4 depending on opponents rankings and what at one time was considered a Quad 1 win can get switched to Quad 2 or bumped up from 2 to 1. But as of today we're #51 in RPI, #29 in SOS, and #31 in NET rankings, supposedly the most import tool the committee will use. We're 2-9 vs. Quad 1, 3-1 vs. Quad 2, 5-1 vs. Quad 3 and 6-0 vs. Quad 4.
What it all means as to our chances to get in the tourney, I don't know. If we win, we're in, but they have to take care of business with Vandy & GA.
Take a look:
http://warrennolan.com/basketball/2019/rpi-live

giphy.gif

Reactions: sadgator
But as of today we're #51 in RPI, #29 in SOS, and #31 in NET rankings, supposedly the most import tool the committee will use.

I already said that the NET is adjusted constantly in my above post.

However, there are 68 teams that get in, and all 3 of those numbers are well inside of the 68 limit, including the most important to the selection committee, the 31. NET.

And it is commonly recognized that the 'stink eye' in selection is the Good Wins to the Bad Losses, where UF is 7-0 at present. o_O

Gator B-Ball, and read the comments after the article...
https://floridagators.com/news/2019/2/22/mens-basketball-hoops-hodgepodge-8.aspx

Last edited:
I already said that the NET is adjusted constantly in my above post.

However, there are 68 teams that get in, and all 3 of those numbers are well inside of the 68 limit, including the most important to the selection committee, the 31. NET.

And it is commonly recognized that the 'stink eye' in selection is the Good Wins to the Bad Losses, where UF is 7-0 at present. o_O

Gator B-Ball, and read the comments after the article...
https://floridagators.com/news/2019/2/22/mens-basketball-hoops-hodgepodge-8.aspx
That's why the Vandy & Georgia games are so important. Also, with so many automatic qualifiers, many of whom will not be in the Top 68, a team needs to be in the 30's to, more than likely, get in. If the season ended today we would be in, no doubt, probably as a 9 or 10 seed. But if we don't beat Vandy and Georgia it becomes really iffy. And Vandy is going to be hard to beat at their place. Wednesday is a very important game. At this point the NIT is guaranteed, which a few weeks ago I didn't even think we could do. If we get into the Big Dance, it will be an accomplishment considering all that's gone wrong this year.

Last edited:
As I've been saying for weeks now, White has done, and is doing, an excellent job considering all of the 'issues' the team has had this season. :cool:

But at least after 4 consecutive wins, most of the worst trolls have crawled back into their holes under the bridge for now. ;)

Matt Hayes agrees with you Insta. He posted this on Twitter after the LSU game.

Matt Hayes‏@MattHayesCFB
The Mike White criticism this season has been ridiculous. This might be his best coaching job, considering Hudson ghosted half the season and the #Gators are starting three freshmen.

9:19 PM - 20 Feb 2019

Anybody who knows college hoops will tell you that replacing dudes like Chiozza and 3gor is a tremendously difficult thing to do...

Couple in the injuries and freshmen adjustment, and it is no surprise that we have struggled...

They have a LONG way to go still yet this season, but sadgator appreciates the mini-run they have gone on to at least make the finish to the regular season a bit exciting...

Really hope they can keep it going...Wednesday night is going to be a very tough challenge...

Vandy at home is always a very tough out for anyone, but especially for the Gators. I think that they always want to 'get us' due to the football imbalance...
And I really hate their 'raised floor' court. I would not want to play there. Go too far off the playing court and you can fall off a cliff... :eek:
=====

I caught this when it happened (just a quick shot by the kid) and backed it up to show my better half. I got a good laugh out of it and consider it a fairly normal response to the game long 'Rowdy Reptile' abuse of opposing teams players. No big deal,,, really! :D

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/f...da-fans-the-finger-after-fouling-out-of-game/

I saw it when it happened. The camera flashed on and off it so quick I thought I didn't see it right. :)

Just his response to the 'left-right--left-right'--SIT DOWN! :p
And it was really quick, he didn't over-do it at all. As I said, not a big deal at all... :D

We beat Georgia I think we're in the dance no matter what happens with LSU & KY. Although if we win 1 of those game it could get us a higher seeding. I'm actually pleasantly surprised because a month ago I didn't think we would even finish with a winning record. Considering how poorly Hudson was playing then, plus losing Stone, I just didn't see it happening. But credit to Coach White and the players.

Nembhard is getting more and more solid seemingly with every game...he is smooth and fun to watch...

Johnson has given us great play inside in the last few games...

and Hudson has suddenly awoken...

They’re likely not in with a UGA win...they’ll likely need a couple more...can’t just flame out at the end...

The team is making a nice little run towards the end of the season. I’ll give them credit for that. Hudson has started to come around a little bit that has been the biggest difference.

Reactions: sadgator
A Georgia win and we are in the tourney for sure. Another LSU win might move us up a couple of spots in the bracket.

The team is making a nice little run towards the end of the season. I’ll give them credit for that. Hudson has started to come around a little bit that has been the biggest difference.

But wait taco, Mike's offensive system stinks, he can't coach up players like slumping Hudson, he can't recruit players like Nembhard, Locke, or K.Johnson, and Mike's game day decisions are totally incompetent, so they need to fire his azz... (so now we get the other side of taco's mouth) :rolleyes: (much like ole fevered brain after NSD) :cool:

The bandwagon that I've been driving all season has no spare seats, o_O so you're gonna have to walk beside us eating dust for the rest of the season... :p

UF 71 - 55 @ VU
PG A.Nembhard
19 Pts, FG 7/8 87.5 %, 3/3 3Pt 100%, 2/2 FT 100%, 3 Rbs, 2 Ast, 1 TO.
~ He's converted 24 of his 32 FG's (75%), 12.2 Pts/Gm during UF's 5-game win streak.

CG J.Hudson 17 Pts, FG 5/13 , 3Pt 3/7 42/9%, FT 4/4 100%, 5 Rb, 2 Ast, 3 Stl.

PF/C K.Hayes 14 Pts, FG 5.5 100% 4/4 FT 100%, 4 Rbs, 2 Ast, 2 Blk.

SF K.Johnson 6 Pts, FG 1/3 33.3%, FT 4/4 100%, 6 Rbs, 1 Ast, 2 TO

SG K.Allen 6 Pts - 2 Rbs, 1 Ast, 2 Stl, 3 TO
SG N.Locke 5 Pts - 2 Rbs, 3 Ast,
PF I.Stokes 4 Pts - 1 Rb, 1 TO

Team Shot - FG 24/50 48.0%, plus 3Pt 8/19 41.2%, FT 15/16 93.8%
Yeah, it's only Vandy, but they did take TN to OT...

Florida just swept Vandy in a regular-season series for the 1st time since 2011 with BillyD.
While the clueless trolls have disappeared even further into their holes under the bridge.... (or they've now tried to disguise themselves as all-weather fans) :rolleyes:

I’m still not a fan of the offensive system. White does have good in-bounds plays but the system/philosophy I’m not a huge fan of. I think that is somewhere he can improve on as a coach.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT