ADVERTISEMENT

UF WBK: Florida Welcomes Alexia Dizeko

JasonHigdon

Bull Gator
Staff
Nov 5, 2021
Dizeko earned Two-Year College Player of the Year honors last season

GAINESVILLE, Fla.
- Florida women's basketball has signed 5-foot-11 wing Alexia Dizeko, head coach Kelly Rae Finley announced on Monday.

Dizeko, who hails from Sion, Switzerland, comes to Florida as a junior after earning 2023 Women's Basketball Coaches Association's Two-Year College Player of the Year honors at South Georgia Technical College last season.

"We are thrilled to have Alexia join our Gator family," Finley said. "She is a versatile wing player who can score in a variety of ways, especially in the open court and is an outstanding rebounder. Alexia has a terrific personality and sense of humor off the court. She will be a great addition to our team."

Dizeko led South Georgia Tech with 14.4 points per game and grabbed 8.3 rebounds in 2022-23, helping the team to a No. 1 national ranking for nine consecutive weeks. She posted eight 20-point games last season and earned WBCA first-team All-American honors and Georgia Collegiate Athletic Association Player of the Year accolades. During her freshman season, Dizeko earned second-team All-American honors.

"This is a whole new challenge for me," Dizeko said. "I wanted to be a Gator because of the spirit they have in this school. I feel that they can help me develop my basketball and my outside projects. I really appreciate the energy of the staff and the players. I am happy to join this team! We can do something unforgettable."

Prior to her time at South Georgia Tech, Dizeko competed on the international stage for Angola in the 2019 FIBA Women's Afrobasket tournament. She averaged 7.2 points per game in the event, including a 17-point performance vs. Mali, shooting 6-for-8 from the field and 2-for-4 from 3-point range.

Dizeko is the Gators' second roster addition this spring, joining transfer Eriny Kindred who comes to UF from Texas A&M. The Gators will also welcome McDonald's All-American Laila Reynolds for 2023-24. The Gators' core of returners includes Zippy Broughton (missed 2022-23 due to injury), Leilani Correa, Faith Dut, Ra Shaya Kyle, Aliyah Matharu (sat out 2022-23 due to transfer rules), Myka Perry, Alberte Rimdal and Jeriah Warren.

(Special to 1st & Ten Florida by Florida Athletics)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News