ADVERTISEMENT

UF Soccer & Volleyball

ocalaman

Bull Gator
Sep 4, 2002
I know some don't care about either of these sports, but here's a thread for those of us who do.
Last year Gator soccer finished 2-14-1, 0-9-1 in the SEC. With 5 transfers from the portal and a pretty good recruiting class, this year's team hopes to be much better,
And they started with a 2-0 win over East Carolina. Next up is Maryland, Sunday at 6 pm on SEC+
https://floridagators.com/news/2023...eset-starts-with-shutout-win-aug-18-2023.aspx

Gator volleyball finished 2022 at 25-6, 15-3 and co-champs in the SEC, getting knocked out in the Sweet 16 by Pitt. Some key players are gone from last year's team, but Mary Wise always has a talented, competitive roster. They are pre-season #11 in the nation and picked to finish 2nd in the SEC this year. They have an exhibition match against Stetson Sunday at 2:30, then start the regular season against #8 Penn State Friday, 8/25 in Tampa, with the match televised on ESPN+

Reactions: Nicktheslick
I expect the soccer team to be better but still bad. I’m not a fan of the coach myself but I hope she proves me wrong.

I expect the soccer team to be better but still bad. I’m not a fan of the coach myself but I hope she proves me wrong.
Looks like we added some solid players. Would be curious to get Ocala's take on this. When it comes to soccer, volleyball and softball he's the go to guy. I've got us covered on track. Which is easy...mouse is the greatest coach in Gator history.

Looks like we added some solid players. Would be curious to get Ocala's take on this. When it comes to soccer, volleyball and softball he's the go to guy. I've got us covered on track. Which is easy...mouse is the greatest coach in Gator history.
Becky Burleigh hung around too long as head coach of the soccer program and UF dropped from the dominant SEC team to a bottom-dweller. Rebuilding has been tough because FSU is now one of the nation's elite teams, UCF is a Top 20 program and much of the rest of the SEC has put more emphasis on soccer and bypassed us. I expect this year's team to be somewhat better, but I'll be surprised if we're a .500 team. But that's probably the goal. Long way to go.

Florida soccer is beating Maryland 1-0 at halftime. Maryland was picked 11th in the Big 10 this year, Florida 13th in the SEC, so it's not a match-up of powerhouses. But it is encouraging to see the Gators playing pretty well so far their first game and a half, especially on defense.

UF soccer equaled their win total from 2022 by beating Maryland at home Sunday evening 1-0 to start the season 2-0. A freshman scored the goal for Florida and they showed much crisper passing and better ball possession than I saw any time last season. They're not going to win a title this year or even compete for one, but I do see a team that plays hard and one that has gotten better, mainly with new players. Next match is Thursday at 6 pm at Miami on ACCN+. Go Gators!

UF soccer equaled their win total from 2022 by beating Maryland at home Sunday evening 1-0 to start the season 2-0. A freshman scored the goal for Florida and they showed much crisper passing and better ball possession than I saw any time last season. They're not going to win a title this year or even compete for one, but I do see a team that plays hard and one that has gotten better, mainly with new players. Next match is Thursday at 6 pm at Miami on ACCN+. Go Gators!
So I like our chances to exceed last years win total...

So…heck yeah they’re awesome!!
I stated early in this thread that I'll be surprised if our soccer team finishes at .500, considering they went 2-14-1 last year. This program is in a major rebuild and most of the best players this year are transfers and freshmen. So being 2-0-1 after 3 games and putting up 3 straight shutouts is very positive, especially considering that we lost to both East Carolina & Miami last year. But no one expect expects us to compete for any kind of championship this year. I still watch and pull for all Gator teams and when they win, I'm thrilled. Go Gators!

Last edited:
Good start for Volleyball.
Penn St. might not be a true #8 team, as #20 Georgia Tech beat them 3-0 yesterday. And we barely squeaked by a USF team that Georgia Tech had boasted 3-0 Friday. UF volleyball has more tests upcoming, as they play at #3 Stanford Tuesday (9 pm on the Pac 12 network) and then #7 Minnesota comes to Gainesville on ESPNU next Sunday at noon.

UF soccer improved to 3-0-1 Sunday by destroying Stetson 8-0. The Gators have not allowed a goal yet, P.S. Stetson must be absolutely horrible!! However, Florida only scored 16 goals in 17 games last season and have already scored 11 goals in 4 games so far this year. Great team - NO! Improved team - absolutely. Next match is next Sunday at Kennesaw State.

UF soccer improved to 3-0-1 Sunday by destroying Stetson 8-0. The Gators have not allowed a goal yet, P.S. Stetson must be absolutely horrible!! However, Florida only scored 16 goals in 17 games last season and have already scored 11 goals in 4 games so far this year. Great team - NO! Improved team - absolutely. Next match is next Sunday at Kennesaw State.
Well 3 is better than 2 so already improved.

Reactions: PacoGator19
#8 UF Volleyball beat #2 Stanford 3-0 in Palo Alto Tuesday night on the Pac 12 Network. For those who didn't watch, you missed an incredible volleyball match. Gator freshman Kennedy Martin is proving to be an incredible player, as they went to her for every crucial point and she delivered, hitting .394 with 16 kills, 4 digs and 2 service aces. Sophomore Alexis Stuckey, maybe the best setter in America, had 34 assists in 3 sets. Sofia Victoria and freshman Kira Hutson had 9 kills each, as the Gators hit .324 as a team for the match. Incredible win. They next host #5 Minnesota Sunday at noon on ESPNU.

Last edited:
Reactions: PacoGator19
#8 UF Volleyball beat #2 Stanford 3-0 in Palo Alto Tuesday night on the Pac 12 Network. For those who didn't watch, you missed an incredible volleyball match. Gator freshman Kennedy Martin is proving to be an incredible player, as they went to her for every crucial point and she delivered, hitting .394 with 16 kills, 4 digs and 2 service aces. Sophomore Alexis Stuckey, maybe the gest setter in America, had 34 assists in 3 sets. Sofia Victoria and freshman Kira Hutson had 9 kills each, as the Gators hit .324 as a team for the match. Incredible win. They next host #5 Minnesota Sunday at noon on ESPNU.
Wow! Blasting the #2 squad on their floor is impressive. Hoping this is the year they break down that door.

Ocala what's your take on Volleyball? They have some really impressive early season wins. Are we a legit top 5-10 type team?

Ocala what's your take on Volleyball? They have some really impressive early season wins. Are we a legit top 5-10 type team?
I think Top 10 for sure. They got a quality outside hitter grad transfer, a superstar freshman and another freshmen who is solid. They have some quality veterans and a good bench. Alexis Stuckey is probably the best setter in D1 nd she's only a sophomore. Watching the Stanford game, a couple of points decided 2 of the sets and we were fortunate to get them. Stanford had an unusual amount of service errors which gave us many more points than we normally would have gotten. Sunday match vs. Minnesota will give more insight. The SEC is weak in volleyball and so to get our RPI up there, Mary Wise has to play a brutal OOC schedule. Meanwhile, the Pac 12 & Big 10 beat up on each other and are stronger come post season. But the SEC title will probably come down to UF and Kentucky again. But yes, I do think this is a Sweet 16, probably an Elite 8 type team and with a couple of breaks could make the Final 4.

I think Top 10 for sure. They got a quality outside hitter grad transfer, a superstar freshman and another freshmen who is solid. They have some quality veterans and a good bench. Alexis Stuckey is probably the best setter in D1 nd she's only a sophomore. Watching the Stanford game, a couple of points decided 2 of the sets and we were fortunate to get them. Stanford had an unusual amount of service errors which gave us many more points than we normally would have gotten. Sunday match vs. Minnesota will give more insight. The SEC is weak in volleyball and so to get our RPI up there, Mary Wise has to play a brutal OOC schedule. Meanwhile, the Pac 12 & Big 10 beat up on each other and are stronger come post season. But the SEC title will probably come down to UF and Kentucky again. But yes, I do think this is a Sweet 16, probably an Elite 8 type team and with a couple of breaks could make the Final 4.
Would love to see Mary breakthrough. She has been the model of consistency. Always fields a top 20 team.

UF Volleyball started last week ranked #8. Tuesday night they beat #2 Stanford in Palo Alto 3-0 and they just finished beating #5 Minnesota in their home opener 3-0 to run their record to 4-0. Today they outhit Minnesota .231 to .149, had 45 kills to their 31, 72 digs to their 45 and 42 assist to their 29. The Gator defense has been incredible and they are getting crucial points when they need them. Impressive start to the season and we'll see how far they move up in the rankings when they come out in a couple of days. I'll post the article link once it hits FloridaGators.com.

UF soccer had a disappointing tie at Kennesaw State (1-2-2) today, their record now at 3-0-2. They close out their pre-conference season with 2 more road games - at Charlotte (2-2-2) on Thursday at 5 pm and at #2 FSU (3-0) next Sunday at 3:30 pm on the ACC Network. Last year the Gators were 2-5 in their pre-SEC schedule, with wins over Stetson & USF, losses to Baylor, UCF, FSU, Texas & East Carolina. They then went 0-9-1 in the SEC. Not expecting miracles, but this team seems a good bit better than last year.

UF soccer had a disappointing tie at Kennesaw State (1-2-2) today, their record now at 3-0-2. They close out their pre-conference season with 2 more road games - at Charlotte (2-2-2) on Thursday at 5 pm and at #2 FSU (3-0) next Sunday at 3:30 pm on the ACC Network. Last year the Gators were 2-5 in their pre-SEC schedule, with wins over Stetson & USF, losses to Baylor, UCF, FSU, Texas & East Carolina. They then went 0-9-1 in the SEC. Not expecting miracles, but this team seems a good bit better than last year.

Well still undefeated...so there's that.

#3 UF Volleyball won a tough 5-set match tonight against Sacramento State to improve to 5-0. SEC+ carried this match and it was an exciting one to watch, as the Gators were led by Ocala's own AC Fitzpatrick and super freshman Kennedy Martin, along with the steady setting and serving from sophomore Alexis Stuckey. They host Clemson Friday at 7 pm on the SEC Network, then Saturday at 3 pm against Winthrop with no streaming.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT