ADVERTISEMENT

The "Mailman" Takes Over; Dawgs QB Competition On Hold ?

Jeff from Jax

Gator Great
Dec 2, 2004
Jacksonville, FL
Jamie Newman - 6' 4" 230 lbs - DT QB, 3* - Grad Transfer - Wake Forest

J. T Daniel - 6' 3" 210 lbs - 5* Transfer from Southern Cal after injury

Stetson Bennett - frosh walk on @ UGA; transfer to JUCO for PT; transfer back to UGA

D'Wan Mathis - 6'6" 205 lbs Pro style QB, 4* - class of 2019

Freshman Carson Beck - 6' 4.5" 226 lbs Pro Style QB, 4* early enrolled in January.2020

Coach Kirby Smart said Daniels, the former Southern Cal starter, is still recovering from a season-ending knee injury suffered in the 2019 opener.

Smart said Daniels will wear a brace on the knee and has not been cleared for full practice.

Newman transferred from Wake Forest for his final year of eligibility. He passed for 2,868 yards and ran for 574 yards with a combined 32 touchdowns in 2019, his first full season as the starter.

Daniels was granted his immediate eligibility at Georgia. He started for USC as a freshman in 2018 and passed for 2,672 yards with 14 touchdowns and 10 interceptions. Daniels has three years of eligibility at Georgia. J T Daniels' continues rehabilitation from a knee injury.

Be interesting to see who starts; Beck to red shirt ?

Reactions: gatorbuilderorlando

Stetson Bennett - frosh walk on @ UGA; transfer to JUCO for PT; transfer back to UGA

Freshman Carson Beck - 6' 4.5" 226 lbs Pro Style QB, 4* early enrolled in January.2020

Coach Kirby Smart said Daniels, the former Southern Cal starter, is still recovering from a season-ending knee injury suffered in the 2019 opener.

Smart said Daniels will wear a brace on the knee and has not been cleared for full practice.

Newman transferred from Wake Forest for his final year of eligibility. He passed for 2,868 yards and ran for 574 yards with a combined 32 touchdowns in 2019, his first full season as the starter.

Daniels was granted his immediate eligibility at Georgia. He started for USC as a freshman in 2018 and passed for 2,672 yards with 14 touchdowns and 10 interceptions. Daniels has three years of eligibility at Georgia. J T Daniels' continues rehabilitation from a knee injury.

Beck is screwed. He has Daniels in front of him and Vandergriff coming in next year. He's in a QB sandwich where he is the 4 star meat on 5 star bread.

The question is, can he possibly get an exemption to play immediately when he transfers next year? If not, it doesn't matter what he does this year, because he will also be sitting out next year. But, on the remote chance he gets immediate eligibility, he should redshirt this year.

Reactions: gatorbuilderorlando

I said early on that even if Daniels was clearedby the NCAA, he was still not far enough out from surgery to be a true contender, maybe later in the season he can play some. Bennett is a team favorite and stood in as Baker Mayfield when the team was preparing for OU in the Rose Bowl. The D said he was the real deal, but he will be competing for the backup job imo. I have a feeling Mathis might get a position change but have nothing to back that up with. Beck redshirts, and may end up transferring, especially with Vandagriff coming, if he is as advertised.

Newman is going to be the starter.
Daniel is likely starting against Clemson in our 2021 opener but he is wowing everyone with his arm and his football IQ.
Mathis seems to be surprising a lot of folks.
Bennett is a non factor.
Let's see what Beck is made of.

That QB position for uga could be a complete cluster xxxx this year lol. New offense and all - whoever the best athlete is, with experience, probably gets the nod until the O is on the same page.

Rusty Mansell had some interesting things to say about Mathis this week on the Bill King show.

It’s hard not to pull for that kid after reading his story...
Agreed... last year many people thought he'd never play football again with the brain surgery. Some things are bigger than football... even to us fanatics.

That's insane.

You are installing a new offense, you have a bunch of new guys together, and you are going to screw around with a quarterback competition?

Anyone with a lick of sense would see that you pick a starter and start getting him ready IMMEDIATELY. What, are you going to give 5 guys equal reps for a couple weeks and see who does the best in an offense nobody knows?

Oh, wait, nononono, that's a GREAT idea, I think UGa should wait until opening day to name a starter! Let all 5 guys have equal reps for the next couple of weeks!

You go Kirbs, you so smart!

UGA has some serious internal issues ...that's how it seems to me.

It's obvious Smart is playing the "I want to give everybody hope so nobody transfers" game. Don't know why he doesn't see what that's going to do to his prep.

Or maybe he has Iraq's disease, where all he sees is stars.

You guys are so cocky, when the ceiling comes down, duck and run. When is the last time you won a national title?
How exactly am I cocky? I'm just amused by you claiming we have internal issues and LG89 thinking a QB competition is actually between 5 guys instead of 2.

2002-UGA pretenders. 13-1 choked against UF
2007-UGA pretenders. 11-2 choked against SCarolina and Tennessee. Finished with same record as national champ LSU with many fans claiming they should be co-champs LOL
2012-UGA chokes the SEC championship game away. Would have played overrated Notre Dame for the title.
2017-UGA closest they’ve ever been to wearing the crown.

I think the college football world has a couple more years before we get to watch UGA choke another national championship away. Mark Richt and Mark Richt II continuing trends.

So are you

Am I?

I say that a QB who is brand new on a team, has had no opportunity to learn the offense or even meet his teammates face to face until 6 weeks before the season starts, who is working with an offense with only 4 returning starters, no grasp of the not yet installed offense, and having to share snaps with 4 other QB's because the idiot coach thinks a QB competition is a good idea could lead to problems.

Any of those issues, taken alone, would be an object of concern. But you have all five.

All. Five.

You see, Ole Miss has a bunch of returning players, including the QB, but Kiffen says they will need to run a reduced playbook because there isn't time to learn the whole offense. Coaches are saying (anonymously) that it's good for Bama to have both coordinators back this year because stability at the coordinator level is important for team culture. You have both those problems.

So what I'm saying is, all I have going for me in saying your offense is going to suffer (and QB's of suffering offenses don't get chosen first team all SEC) is logic, reason, history, and the entirety of college football.

How can that possibly compare to your response of "nuh uh"?

Obviously it can't. No question Georgia is on their way to their 4th consecutive National Title.

And that would be different than last year? No one us saying it’s gonna be OU out there.

But wouldn't you need to be OU for Newman to be ALL-SEC? Or close to it?

See this is where it all falls down. If you go into an offensive shell, and try to win games with defense and field position, you might have some success. Maybe 6-0 against the bums and 2-2 or 1-3 against the better teams. But you also think Newman is a legitimate contender for awards. Can't be both.

QB (Newman) who is brand new on a team, who is working with an offense with only 4 returning starters. no grasp of the offense, and having to share snaps with 4 other QB's could lead to problems.

LG89,

Obviously you don't understand the importance of the Dawg's multiple recruiting national championships & the depth of their talent !

According to PFF, UGA with only 4 returning starters on offense, has placed 6 players on its All SEC teams.

Also you fail to realize that Newman's Wake Forest receiving unit lacked any separators, forcing him to throw into a tight window at the highest rate in the country last year.

Yet he managed to rank second (in the country) in tight-window passing grade to only Joe Burrow.

With a better scheme and supporting cast at Georgia, Newman is bound to take his already great play to new heights.

PFF is enamored with the importance of its self-initiated tight window statistics. These statistics are so important that no other sports organization recognizes or tracks them.

PFF, like several Dawg posters on this board, is in love with Newman.

To me, it makes perfect sense to recognize a transfer QB who has never played an SEC game or faced SEC caliber defenses as the #1 QB in the league.

The ACC only has 1 SEC caliber team - Clemson.

In a game MUCH closer than the score indicated (Wake lost 50-3) Newman had these stats -

Rushing - 12 attempts for 19 yards; 1 sack.
Passing - 8 of 14 for 41 yards with 0 TDs, 2 INTs.
https://www.espn.com/college-football/player/gamelog/_/id/4037213/jamie-newman

But, all of his passing attempts were into tight windows - LOL !

It will be interesting to see how his season plays out.

No question Georgia is on their way to their 4th consecutive National Title.

LG89,

You finally understand !

Last edited:
But wouldn't you need to be OU for Newman to be ALL-SEC? Or close to it?

See this is where it all falls down. If you go into an offensive shell, and try to win games with defense and field position, you might have some success. Maybe 6-0 against the bums and 2-2 or 1-3 against the better teams. But you also think Newman is a legitimate contender for awards. Can't be both.
I never said he was. People that do this stuff as their job said so. Interesting that they know Trask but aren’t talking much about him.

Reactions: GADAWGinIraq
lol dude you're blind.

its laughable.

just go home.

I remember last year when these same types were talking up Felipe Franks, about how he was really progressing, about how he was going to be a dynamic QB for UF. And God bless us (ok, God bless ME, I can only speak for myself), he came out and stunk up the place against Miami, and again against Kentucky. And then they roasted him. But this is what the talking heads do, they pick out somebody for whom there is mostly hope with nothing to back it up, and hype the crap out of him. This way, if he meets the hype, they can claim they knew it first, and if he doesn't, they can crap all over him without ever mentioning how much they claimed to love him a few months ago, and all people remember is the hype, not the hypers.

Long story short, Newman is being set up for a fall.

There is a poem by Frank Herbert that is apropos, I couldn't remember it exactly, so I looked it up. Because, you know, old man brain.

Here lies a toppled god.
His fall was not a small one.
We did but build his pedestal,
A narrow and a tall one.

I never said he was. People that do this stuff as their job said so. Interesting that they know Trask but aren’t talking much about him.

Trask isn't a story. There's no angle. He's going to be good, we're going to be good. What's the story: "Trask to remain good"? No pizzazz.

But Newman is a big story, because Georgia's hopes are pinned on him, and the chances of him flaming out are so great, the sharks smell blood in the water. They are giddy with excitement. WIll he beat the odds and play well? Or will he play like he did against Clemson last year 3-4 times in 2020? Either way, he will give them the chance to fill up a lot of space on blogs and time on the airwaves.

Here are the upcoming big Georgia headlines:

Georgia struggling
Can Georgia Bounce back
Newman has another terrible game
Newman throws four interceptions, fumbles twice in blowout loss
Newman pulled for Bennett

And so on.

Yet you were the one that posted it. IF you didn't believe it would happen, you should have said so. Something like "While I don't think we will run an offense that will get the stats he will need to be All-SEC, it's nice that people think so highly of him."

But you didn't do that, you just posted a link that said he would be ALL-SEC, then backed off of it after you were laughed at. Weak.

LG89,

Obviously you don't understand the importance of the Dawg's multiple recruiting national championships & the depth of their talent !

According to PFF, UGA with only 4 returning starters on offense, has placed 6 players on its All SEC teams.

Also you fail to realize that Newman's Wake Forest receiving unit lacked any separators, forcing him to throw into a tight window at the highest rate in the country last year.

Yet he managed to rank second (in the country) in tight-window passing grade to only Joe Burrow.

With a better scheme and supporting cast at Georgia, Newman is bound to take his already great play to new heights.

PFF is enamored with the importance of its self-initiated tight window statistics. These statistics are so important that no other sports organization recognizes or tracks them.

PFF, like several Dawg posters on this board, is in love with Newman.

To me, it makes perfect sense to recognize a transfer QB who has never played an SEC game or faced SEC caliber defenses as the #1 QB in the league.

The ACC only has 1 SEC caliber team - Clemson.

In a game MUCH closer than the score indicated (Wake lost 50-3) Newman had these stats -

Rushing - 12 attempts for 19 yards; 1 sack.
Passing - 8 of 14 for 41 yards with 0 TDs, 2 INTs.
https://www.espn.com/college-football/player/gamelog/_/id/4037213/jamie-newman

But, all of his passing attempts were into tight windows - LOL !

It will be interesting to see how his season plays out.

LG89,

You finally understand !

His stat of 12 rushes for 19 yards and 1 sack is interesting. It says to me that Clemson was patient and stayed in their lanes, and while they couldn't catch him behind the lines, when he did run, he had nowhere to go.

Oh, and he was 6/14 and the score was 52-3.

Newman is going to be the starter.
Daniel is likely starting against Clemson in our 2021 opener but he is wowing everyone with his arm and his football IQ.
Mathis seems to be surprising a lot of folks.
Bennett is a non factor.
Let's see what Beck is made of.
I’m curious... do you think the competition is really lip service and will basically just be a coronation for newman (barring a surprise from one of the other guys) and it’s just coach speak, like saying every position is open for competition? Or do you believe it’s actually going to be a real mystery and Newman is just most likely the best guy at that spot?

His stat of 12 rushes for 19 yards and 1 sack is interesting. It says to me that Clemson was patient and stayed in their lanes, and while they couldn't catch him behind the lines, when he did run, he had nowhere to go.

Oh, and he was 6/14 and the score was 52-3.
And he was minus his top two receivers and he was playing for freakin Wake Forest against Clemson.

Yet you were the one that posted it. IF you didn't believe it would happen, you should have said so. Something like "While I don't think we will run an offense that will get the stats he will need to be All-SEC, it's nice that people think so highly of him."

But you didn't do that, you just posted a link that said he would be ALL-SEC, then backed off of it after you were laughed at. Weak.
I just like to watch you lose your shit over those types of articles. You keep trying to convince us we are doomed and overconfident while ignoring your own homer proclamations. Fact us, he just might end up being all-SEC. did anyone know Burrow and Brady were going to do what they did?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT