ADVERTISEMENT

Starting QB for Michigan game?

Franks has looked the best of all the QBs so far. He was good again today. His lack of experience is the only thing working against him at the moment. Spurrier has been high on Franks also.

Why? If anything it would be a good sign because it would mean the other QB's stepped up and claimed the job. Zaire starting is what would be a bad sign because it would mean we don't have a QB worth a damn on the roster if he can come in here and win the job in 3 weeks of fall camp. I don't get this savior type talk when it comes to Zaire. We that bad off people wanna hype up a transfer that lost his job two times as some kinda great QB? I don't get it. Until proven otherwise they're all mediocre.

Saw interesting comments in another board where Mac misspoke, and what it boiled down to was him pretty much saying that Zaire was brought here for one game, the Michigan game. I would not at all be shocked to see Zaire play against Michigan and Franks take over week 2 unless we absolutely kill it week one.

I do not think Franks starts against Meatchicken, I just don't.

And he may 'start' LDR just like we did Treon in front of Grier. Knowing full well we go to Zaire sooner rather than later.

And not buying the playbook thing, if Mac didn't think a grad transfer could learn his playbook in two weeks, them why was he brought here? Mac knew exactly how oing Zaire would have and went very hard after him

Franks has looked the best of all the QBs so far. He was good again today. His lack of experience is the only thing working against him at the moment. Spurrier has been high on Franks also.

If we didn't open with Michigan I believe we may go with Franks.

Also keep in mind the media is inly basically allowed to see the QBs throw routes, nothing else.

If we didn't open with Michigan I believe we may go with Franks.

Also keep in mind the media is inly basically allowed to see the QBs throw routes, nothing else.
Agreed. The media is only seeing so much but from what I'm hearing Franks has been the best QB in fall camp so far. This is coming from many players. I wouldn't be surprised if both Franks and Zaire play against Michigan.

Reactions: jimjim47
Agreed. The media is only seeing so much but from what I'm hearing Franks has been the best QB in fall camp so far. This is coming from many players. I wouldn't be surprised if both Franks and Zaire play against Michigan.

IMO that is the most likely scenario. If Brown's blitzes are too much for Franks they can roll with Zaire.

I have also heard he looks very good. Have also heard it suggested they would both play.

I also heard the are both good leaders and players respond well to them, which is good news. I heard that is something Trask struggles a lot with. Just doesn't aeem to have the leadership a QB needs. Which isn't surprising with little starting experience

Until I see confirmation from the coaches LDR isn't taking but a very few first team snaps I think he may start him. Mac just comes off as that type of coach to me. I just hope he will switch to Zaire before the game gets out of reach if LDR or Franks do start and are turning the ball over etc.

Until I see confirmation from the coaches LDR isn't taking but a very few first team snaps I think he may start him. Mac just comes off as that type of coach to me. I just hope he will switch to Zaire before the game gets out of reach if LDR or Franks do start and are turning the ball over etc.
Franks took snaps with and started with the first team offense today. Pretty soon your going to get a good idea who is going to get some opportunities because all the practice snaps are gonna have to go to the #1 and #2 guy.

I am scared Mac might cost us this game. A few posters claim people that know players (may be total BS) are pretty sure its on track to be LDR and Franks is ticked Zaire was brought in. I guess they are claiming it will most likely be LDR with Zaire getting some plays during the game.

Someone was also claiming someone on a sports radio show this morning was saying that a coach on the staff said it was going to be LDR most likely also.

I just think LDR would get killed against that blitzing defense watching him last year. All he does is usually throw his weak stuff off his back foot when blitzed. I think it would be multiple interceptions for him.

Why? If anything it would be a good sign because it would mean the other QB's stepped up and claimed the job. Zaire starting is what would be a bad sign because it would mean we don't have a QB worth a damn on the roster if he can come in here and win the job in 3 weeks of fall camp. I don't get this savior type talk when it comes to Zaire. We that bad off people wanna hype up a transfer that lost his job two times as some kinda great QB? I don't get it. Until proven otherwise they're all mediocre.

Because id rather have a guy that has played and limit the rookie mistakes in a low scoring game playing like bama waiting for them to make the mistakes with many new wide eyed faces out there on a big stage for the first time... Why not use our one advantage everywhere to use as vets against them? We don't need some great offensive output to win and stop their bad QB and predictable in the box offense heavy loaded with TE's and runs based off PA and what their run success opens for the QB... We should win this game, if Zaire isn't starting it means he's not good enough, which could be bad... and it BETTER mean because franks was just that much better in practice against live D and the ones... or else the difference between the two in this game is just a wash because Franks going through the inevitable first game growing pains isn't as much worth it to me, or getting him rattled like Michi said unnceccesarily...

Reactions: Gator Fever
I remember watching John Reaves torch Houston( who was preseason #1)in the first game of that season.And that was his first start, nobody had given us much of a chance before the game then either.

Not sure what was the thinking about Reaves prior to that game but I think you would be hard pressed to find anyone that thinks Franks is going to just come out and torch Don Brown's defense in his first start. Crazier things have happened I guess.

Brown's defense is replacing a lot of talent, I doubt they're going to be the same defense they were a year ago and he'll likely have to dial some things back too. If we can't get a QB ready after an entire spring and fall camp then that's not because of Brown's defense, it's because our coaches didn't do a good job prepping our QB.

Reactions: seffnergator
TG - 8/15

Del Rio with ones,
pulls and runs on a zine read. Putu in tight coverage on Cleveland, breaks one up.

Cleveland with a drop on an out.

Rumph ripping D-line. "About time for me to start frying y'all! Because y'all playing with me! I'm gonna get you today!

Rumph ripping Zach Carter, makes him redo a rep.

Powell drops one by Franks

Last edited:
Brown's defense is replacing a lot of talent, I doubt they're going to be the same defense they were a year ago and he'll likely have to dial some things back too. If we can't get a QB ready after an entire spring and fall camp then that's not because of Brown's defense, it's because our coaches didn't do a good job prepping our QB.

I have said the same thing about Meatchicken. You don't roll out 10 new starters and pick up where you left off. If they play that high pressure defense somebody will make an assignment error, and in that defense that's a touchdown. I think they play conservative on offense and defense, playing field position and bend but don't break.

I remember watching John Reaves torch Houston( who was preseason #1)in the first game of that season.And that was his first start, nobody had given us much of a chance before the game then either.

And is true freshman Chris Leak still the only QB to beat 3 consecutive Top 11 ranked team, on the road, as a tFr? That included 2003 NC LSU's only loss that season and Chris/Zook got them in Death Valley... o_O

I have said the same thing about Meatchicken. You don't roll out 10 new starters and pick up where you left off. If they play that high pressure defense somebody will make an assignment error, and in that defense that's a touchdown. I think they play conservative on offense and defense, playing field position and bend but don't break.

Agree.

Only place I disagree with you is that we blow them out, I can't see that unless they have a rash of turnovers in their own territory. But we should win. No excuse not to with all they've lost.

I guarantee you knowing Brown's history he will be bringing extra players about 50% of the time like he usually does. Their strength is still the front 7 where they actually have more experience than people think and guys like him would rather have the QB think about that pressure than keep their DBs out there any longer than they have to chasing receivers. Brown will even blitz like crazy after getting burned multiple times.

And is true freshman Chris Leak still the only QB to beat 3 consecutive Top 11 ranked team, on the road, as a tFr? That included 2003 NC LSU's only loss that season and Chris/Zook got them in Death Valley... o_O

In Death Valley AT night I believe, when no one is supposed to win there

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/the-11-most-important-position-battles-remaining-in-college-football-this-fall/

1. Florida quarterback

Favorite: Malik Zaire | Contenders: Feleipe Franks, Luke Del Rio

Why you should care: I didn't expect to include Florida's quarterback battle on this list because, heading into fall camp, all indications were that this was Zaire's job to lose. The only problem is that Zaire may actually be losing it -- or at least someone else may be winning it. Franks "won" the job in the spring before Zaire enrolled, and both he and Del Rio have been getting plenty of work with the ones. I'm told Del Rio had the best showing among the quarterbacks in Florida's most recent scrimmage. If Florida does roll with Del Rio again, what does that say about the rest of its quarterback room? What does it say about the upside of this offense?
--------------------------------------------------------------

:eek:

What it says to me about the current QB competition is that Zaire should be down the road at BYU or elsewhere, while LDR, Franks, and Trask should be the 3 that are competing for the job. And whichever of those 3 does the best,,, NOW in 2017, should be the starter for Mich. What has gone before is now past history and so it should be left in the past. IF LDR wins it, then I'm fine with him being the starter. Then if he can't get it done on game day, then next man up, and so on. 'Intuition and feelings' are at best, BS at this point. :cool:

2017 LDR is not 2014-15-16 LDR, and nobody should try and keep him down IF he is currently the best at running the Gator offense. Don't be STUPID! o_O

Reactions: TennesseeGator
Not me - I think our chances are a lot better with Zaire. I also think if he trots LDR or Franks out there its going to be painful and Zaire might be called in to replace them. I just hope Mac doesn't wait too long to do it if that happens.

Reactions: 46885
If we can have success running the ball then the QB can fo damage with some easy passes...if he can throw a couple of long balls. Really in my mind we need the offensive line to be a lot better than last year. We'll see in 2 weeks.

Reactions: TennesseeGator
giphy.gif

You do know he and a walk-on led this yesterday. Are we starting a walk-on in someones place?

Get a grip on the LDR stuff. He isn't starting, and if he does, then Mac can answer the questions for it if it fails, and their WILL be plenty to amswer

Its sounding like he can from people talking about it. I don't care if Mac is answering a bunch of questions after the game with "yet" if we get our butts kicked because he trotted LDR out there.

Its sounding like he can from people talking about it. I don't care if Mac is answering a bunch of questions after the game with "yet" if we get our butts kicked because he trotted LDR out there.

But if LDR starts and beats the snot outta Mich, the constant mouth-runners here (Zaire's many girlfriends) will not have to account for anything that they've been yappin' about for months now. o_O

Just like their 'selective memories' always gloss over all of their negative comments about Mc-staffs many positive recruiting accomplishments. They are never held accountable for anything that they spew out, no matter how bad it smells... :confused:

Real Coaches - Always held accountable.

Arm Chair Coaches - NEVER held accountable for anything. :cool:

But if LDR starts and beats the snot outta Mich, the constant mouth-runners here (Zaire's many girlfriends) will not have to account for anything that they've been yappin' about for months now. o_O

Just like their 'selective memories' always gloss over all of their negative comments about Mc-staffs many positive recruiting accomplishments. They are never held accountable for anything that they spew out, no matter how bad it smells... :confused:

Real Coaches - Always held accountable.

Arm Chair Coaches - NEVER held accountable for anything. :cool:

If we beat Michigan and it isn't a Georgia like game where the defense did all the work mostly in spite of a very pedestrian performance by LDR I will have to give him some credit I guess. I just think trotting him out there will not be pretty at all against them.

Most of that ire was not directed at you Fev... :cool:

You think,,, I think,,, but it's the coaches that decide who is directing the offense the best. If a game manager can direct the many playmakers and get the win, then that's just fine with me.... :)

Whichever QB(s) starts or plays, I'm wishing them all well.

Well I will always cheer for my Gators but I reserve the right to be ticked off at the coach for personnel decisions also. :D

Most of that ire was not directed at you Fev... :cool:

You think,,, I think,,, but it's the coaches that decide who is directing the offense the best. If a game manager can direct the many playmakers and get the win, then that's just fine with me.... :)

Whichever QB(s) starts or plays, I'm wishing them all well.

oh boy

Reactions: nail1988
Mac is definitely rotating them during the periods the media gets to watch. I wish I knew what the deal was behind the scenes. We need an accurate leak of what is really going on. So far people are claiming LDR is ahead and others saying its Franks.

Last edited:
Franks with the 1's today. Zaire is running out of time to take over the starting position at QB. Good thing he's mobile and can run because he's been the worst of the 3 in passing.

Franks with the 1's today. Zaire is running out of time to take over the starting position at QB. Good thing he's mobile and can run because he's been the worst of the 3 in passing.

I do think Mac is waffling starting him as it appears behind the scenes apparently he is really considering LDR. I hope he has the fool the media game going on because I think we may be in trouble with LDR or Franks. I also hope he is at least willing to make a change while we are still within 7 points if the starter begins wilting under the pressure of that Michigan blitz crazy defense. He may be hard headed however based on the Arkansas game last season.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT