ADVERTISEMENT

Spring Football Thread

Originally posted by BringBackBonner:
Danny, if you get drunk enough, please saunter over to Muschamp's double wide and viciously punch him in the dick.

Tell him it was a thank you for not leaving us enough OL or LB to have a real spring game... AGAIN. Mutter something about forgetting to recruit a line in a "line of scrimmage league" as you walk off.
Posted from Rivals Mobile
laugh.r191677.gif

Originally posted by lincolnhs:
I just wanna know what makes Grier that much more of a pocket passer than Treon. I have never seen either take snaps under center and by their highschool film Grier ran a lot more than Treon. Also, Treon tended to look down the field more when scrambling than Grier. Both put up numbers however Treon played against tougher competition. I think the running last year for Treon was because he was young and that was a way to ease him into plays. Just my opinion would like to poll others on thiers
Treon really needs to improve on his accuracy. His footwork is not good, and he is very inconsistent in stepping into his throws. Fortunately, the mechanical issues can be coached, which hopefully will lead to a natural increase in accuracy.

Originally posted by lincolnhs:
I just wanna know what makes Grier that much more of a pocket passer than Treon. I have never seen either take snaps under center and by their highschool film Grier ran a lot more than Treon. Also, Treon tended to look down the field more when scrambling than Grier. Both put up numbers however Treon played against tougher competition. I think the running last year for Treon was because he was young and that was a way to ease him into plays. Just my opinion would like to poll others on thiers
I wouldn't say Grier is more of a pocket pocket passer, he just has a stronger arm and more height, so people assume he's better in the pocket. So from that standpoint Grier has more arm talent. I agree with the rest of your points though. Both played in spread offenses in HS and Grier had way more designed runs, so both will have a slight adjustment.

The footage I saw of Treon was heavily based on quick first reads (both running and passing). It all seemed highly predetermined.

Treon has some experience, but all in all, he really was only a tiny step up from Driskel.

Let me give you a classic Danny analogy: the enthusiasm people showed for Treon's play is the same enthusiasm one would show if they were forced to sleep with Rosie O'Donell for years and then getting to sleep with Ellen Degeneras.

In your heart, you know it wasn't much better, and intrinsically unsatisfying, but come on, it's a step up from Rosie/Driskel.

The hope is that Grier is Jennifer Lawrence.

Won't lie, I got a nice little chuckle out of that analogy. Can Grier be like Rachel McAdams instead? Da booty...

GAINESVILLE, Fla. -- GatorBait.net checks in with notes from the open portions of Florida's fifth practice of the spring.
A Much Sharper QB-WR Link
Florida had two full days off with a rainout on Monday, and the extra time seemed to help things get a bit crisper offensively. The quarterbacks were sharp in the sessions open to the media, and the receivers did much better hanging onto passes.
While it's still early, that was the first time Florida appeared to have made real progress.
The passing game was mostly on point, with quarterbacks and receivers much more on the same page than they were in the first three practice windows we saw.
Rotating Days With First Team?
It's unclear whether Florida is rotating quarterbacks with the first team offense based on alternating days of practice or whether quarterback Will Grier is pulling ahead.
Grier has been with the first-team offense in the first, third and fifth practices now, while Treon Harris was with the first-team offense in the second practice. The fourth practice was entirely closed to the media.
So far there's been no real discernible difference in the quarterbacks in the sessions open to the media, with each flashing some good throws at times but generally being a bit inconsistent.
Grier Crisp In 11-on-11 Work
Florida runs a quick "speed ball" drill after stretching, with the team running four quick 11-on-11 plays. Grier went 4-4 passing, with Demarcus Robinson hauling in three short passes.
The most impressive throw was the last, with Grier finding Chris Thompson perfectly on a 15-yard hitch. He hit Thompson right out of his cut in front of a fast-closing J.C. Jackson for the hookup.
If there was any weakness in Grier's game on Tuesday, it was that he still throws too hard at times. Had he taken a little off one crossing pass to Thompson in the end zone, he would have had a touchdown. Instead, Thompson couldn't quite get to the bullet.
Receivers Still Having Trouble Getting Open
While the receivers were sharper as a whole, the Gators are still having major trouble getting open. That was especially clear in a red zone pass skeleton drill where first-team quarterback Will Grier had to tuck the ball and run multiple times with everyone covered.
Even Demarcus Robinson was subject to the defense's suffocating coverage on Tuesday, locked up by Marcus Maye and Vernon Hargreaves III impressively on one drill.
Route-running was a big point of emphasis in individual drills, with offensive coordinator Doug Nussmeier doing a lot of individual coaching with the receivers on the technique to use on individual routes.
Gators Still Shy On Talent On Offense
The defense is supposed to be ahead of the offense at this point, but it's hard to pick out any receivers who are going to step up opposite Robinson.
Freshman Brandon Powell lined up with the first-team offense in the slot Tuesday, and he'll almost certainly be a major player on the offense.
Outside of those two, though, no one has impressed. That has to change at some point for Florida.
Secondary Suffocates Offense
On the flip side, Florida's secondary looks every bit as good as advertised. The unit locked up the offense for a good portion of the open periods of practice.
Vernon Hargreaves III picked off a pass from Jacob Guy and took it to the house across the field.
Jackson flashed impressive closing speed with a tackle on Thompson in 11-on-11 work.
Other News and Notes
-- Head coach Jim McElwain was much more hands-off in Tuesday's open periods of practice than he was on Friday. He mostly stood at midfield and observed the various drills, not offering a ton of input.
-- With McElwain more of an observer, Nussmeier was much more involved. He seemed heavily focused on the receivers, particularly with their route-running. He was very hands-on in offering advice in both individual drills and pass skeleton.
-- In pass skeleton work, several receivers had impressive catches. DeAndre Goolsby and Moral Stephens both had touchdown catches between two defenders, with Harris dropping a pass perfectly over a linebacker to Stephens. Fellow tight end Daniel Imatorbhebhe also had an impressive athletic play when he bobbled a pass three times before snagging it one-handed at the last second.
-- Defensive line coach Chris Rumph has been on the far side of the field for most of the work we've seen, which has made it hard to really see what's going on with his unit. But he was loud and clear on the final 11-on-11 snap in speed ball work, yelling at one of his defensive lineman for taking the wrong route to the quarterback.
-- Defensive coordinator Geoff Collins continues to work with the secondary, which appears to be the unit he will work with permanently.

Not liking all this talk about the offense struggling in 3rd down/red zone situations etc.

@RobbieAndreu

"We're just having a blast," Collins said of the defense.

This post was edited on 3/24 5:41 PM by Gator Fever

Of course the offense is struggling in those situations.

They've done it that for 4 of the last 5 years.

And we know the defense is ahead of the offense, that's always the story.

We still have a week of March left...relax.

Think about it this way: baseball seasons 6 month 162 game schedule hasn't evens tarted yet. By the time we play our first game, they will only have about 28 games left.

So seriously. Relax.

by then the Sox will be nearing the first team in history to go worst 2 first 2 worst 2 first again

Originally posted by Dannygator1989:
Of course the offense is struggling in those situations.

They've done it that for 4 of the last 5 years.

And we know the defense is ahead of the offense, that's always the story.

We still have a week of March left...relax.

Think about it this way: baseball seasons 6 month 162 game schedule hasn't evens tarted yet. By the time we play our first game, they will only have about 28 games left.

So seriously. Relax.
Maybe I am overreacting but even McElwain is saying today they can't run the practices like they would like to because of the lack of offensive linemen.

"I think the receivers stepped up, had a really good day as far as the learning aspect," McElwain said. "There's a lot of new things going in with those guys when we talk about the formation shifts, motions and the different things that we do and the different tempos. I think they really stepped up."
With the offense installing several new looks, the team adapted well.
That's the continuing theme of spring ball. How well Florida continues to adapt and handle the transition will ultimately dictate the team's success this fall.
"Those guys are learning, they're scraping, and that's what we can ask," McElwain said.
Other News and Notes
-- McElwain finally delved into some specifics on the quarterback battle, revealing that he's been pretty pleased with both Will Grier and Treon Harris. He said in a route-tree drill against air in Saturday's practice, accuracy was sharp. Grier completed 26 of 29 passes with two drops, while Harris was a perfect 27 of 29 with two drops.
-- As far as where they're at overall, the quarterbacks still need work. "I think those guys, the maturation has been OK," McElwain said. "Am I ecstatic about it? No. But there's a lot of new stuff being thrown at them, including operating both from under, from pistol, from gun. Obviously the blitz, we do heavy blitz work every day. Their identification and understanding hot principles, those type of things, it's got to continue to get better."

"-- Florida has still had trouble finding playmakers at receiver this spring, with only Demarcus Robinson and Brandon Powell standing out to date. McElwain said he wants nine ready to play on any given gameday, with 11 on the travel roster. "We're not there yet, necessarily, but we're finding out what some of these guys can do as we get especially now we're getting ready to add some of the speed sweep stuff and some of those things, so it will be interesting to find out who some of those guys are," McElwain said."

At least from the breakdown of practices, it seems our secondary is suffocating as it usually is, sans 2014. If anything we should at least be able to look forward to nobody on our schedule setting PASSING records against us in 2015...

Even though this is like the 4th year of having not enough bodies on the offensive line to even hold a live practice, I think the OL can be a strength as long as nobody gets hurt or needs a breather during the game.

Is that an unreasonable expectation?

Amazing we gave dufus a contract extension and a raise

Oh look.

The lunatic has returned to provide us all with his usual cheery outlook on things.

We've missed you so.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04hHcMM4SQA

If you can't find a little optimism in this vid then you need to watch it closer..

I'm pretty confident this guy's going to move the ball. You either know how to do it or you don't, and he knows how to do it.

I guess Taylor said we are straight pro-style everything. So Colorado State type offense is out the door.
This post was edited on 3/26 4:41 PM by Gator Fever

But, as others have said, they may be working on that aspect of the offense, because they don't have much experience running plays from under center.

MCE obviously liked what he was doing at CSU. That was basically his resume for a big time job. I don't see why he would get too far away from it. He knows the opportunity he has. He's sure not going to defer to his OC. They will run what MCE wants. Whatever they run, it will be what he thinks will score the most points.

Originally posted by bradleygator:
But, as others have said, they may be working on that aspect of the offense, because they don't have much experience running plays from under center.

MCE obviously liked what he was doing at CSU. That was basically his resume for a big time job. I don't see why he would get too far away from it. He knows the opportunity he has. He's sure not going to defer to his OC. They will run what MCE wants. Whatever they run, it will be what he thinks will score the most points.
I think McElwain is thinking that is what is best to run in the SEC or maybe its due to our current roster. Reading articles it sounds like it will be mostly pro-style with some shotgun used and a few pistol formations thrown in there.

http://www.inallkindsofweather.com/blog/mcelwain-muschamp-left-me-an-insufficient-roster.html

Michi and GSM will love this

This post was edited on 3/31 3:12 PM by 46885

Glad McElwain finally took a shot at that meathead. Muschamp's comment was so self-serving and once again he doesn't realize how dumb his own words make him look. If the roster was so damn talented why couldn't he win with them? Must be because he sucks. 4 damn linebackers on a D-1 roster, LMAO. But at least we got 20 guys in the secondary.

McElwain's comments are completely legitimate. Muschamp did a terrific job recruiting and developing defensive players. Meanwhile because of his singular focus he and his staff allowed the offense to thin in numbers and atrophy. In hindsight it is so crystal clear that those who supported retaining Muschamp were out of there minds. Even with a serious shortage of numbers it's nice to know the offense will receive long overdue competent coaching. As Dr. Phil says "you can't fix what you don't acknowledge".
q5ZGrl0J65ivu.gif

Well, it's certainly easy to see it that way now but after the '13 season and the way things went, UF was handcuffed with what move to make and there was really no coach to grab.. They wanted to see if that season was more of an anomaly with the injuries and if more of 2012 would show up. Like I said then, I can understand the decision we made to bring Will and the staff back while hiring an OC and I was going to support our coach until there was no reason to any longer. Muschamp proved there were certain things he just didn't understand or blamed it on other people.. but when Driskel is your QB, and continues to be your QB. Your head man in charge has to pay, they both had to go.

I think people forget how thin the coaching field was, especially in terms of candidates we would actually hire.

Everybody wanted Franklin but that wasn't happening. Petersen proved he wouldn't leave the west coast, just like Sarkisian was definitely taking the USC job. McElwain wasn't a name yet and there weren't any big guys to grab (similar to this year minus Harbaugh). And anybody that thought we were going after Charlie Strong was naive.

Could it have worked out? Maybe, of course it's possible, but at the same time, we still didn't know if 2012 was representative of what the staff could do. If so, how could you justify firing him when considering the circumstances of 2013?

I think people forget how thin the coaching field was, especially in terms of candidates we would actually hire.

Everybody wanted Franklin but that wasn't happening. Petersen proved he wouldn't leave the west coast, just like Sarkisian was definitely taking the USC job. McElwain wasn't a name yet and there weren't any big guys to grab (similar to this year minus Harbaugh). And anybody that thought we were going after Charlie Strong was naive.

Could it have worked out? Maybe, of course it's possible, but at the same time, we still didn't know if 2012 was representative of what the staff could do. If so, how could you justify firing him when considering the circumstances of 2013?
Kinda disagree. I don't think we were getting a 'big name' regardless but I think you could only view the coaching field as thin if you were only looking for big names and I don't think that's necessary for a coach to be good here. Love McElwain so far but he wasn't and isn't a big name, there were coaches with comparable names last year. A guy like Hudspeth fits that bill for example. Then if you go the assistant route you had stars like Chad Morris, Phil Montgomery, etc. available. Hell I'd argue even your guy Fedora could have been had last year, and he's probably a bigger name than McElwain. I just think we (or Foley) made the decision very early that he wasn't gonna let Muschamp go and that blinded him to any other possibility.

Think about this hypothetical. We get Fedora last year and we're heading into year 2 with Grier or Harris in his uptempo spread offense with a defense that's already stacked. How good of a position would we be in right now?

Originally posted by oozie7:

Think about this hypothetical. We get Fedora last year and we're heading into year 2 with Grier or Harris in his uptempo spread offense with a defense that's already stacked. How good of a position would we be in right now?
IMO the jury is still out on Fedora.

I honestly think we are a much better off with Mac.. I think we got very fortunate to get him after the way things have been going to be honest... Look how awesome our staff is because of who we hired.

Intensity Ratcheted Up A Notch
After coach Jim McElwain blasted the team for not playing with enough effort or focus in Monday's practice, there was a conscious effort to play with a little more buzz on Wednesday. Center Cameron Dillard led the team in stretches and several players jawed back and forth.
Safety Marcus Maye sprinted down the defensive line of players stretching and shouted encouragement as he slapped fives and bumped fellow teammates.
A player on the offensive side talked smack repeatedly to the defense throughout the quick stretch period.
The Coaches Also Took It Upon Themselves
McElwain claimed some responsibility for the players not being prepared for Monday's practice, and he was doing what he could to make sure the team didn't replicate that performance on Wednesday.
Offensive coordinator Doug Nussmeier halted a drill running through the route tree on air after three lackluster reps, yelling "Start the drill over! We're not going to do things average!"
Later in practice, during a pass skeleton drill, McElwain lit into sophomore receiver C.J. Worton, blasting him for not running a route with enough pep in his step.
Demarcus Robinson Focal Point of "Speed Ball"
Florida has run its "speed ball" drill at the start of virtually every practice. It's four quick snaps of 11-on-11 work.
The constants have been that Will Grier looks for Demarcus Robinson repeatedly on short passes to move the chains. Robinson caught three of four passes from Grier in Wednesday's session, the second time this spring in the sessions open to the media he has done so.
The fourth completion was to Chris Thompson on a 15-yard curl, another staple of the drill. Florida appears to be trying to get as comfortable as it can with a handful of set plays to be ready to use them when the team needs some quick yards.
Other News and Notes
-- Joining the regular injured players on the west side of the field on Wednesday was tight end DeAndre Goolsby, who must have picked up an injury.
-- Grier did not participate in the pass skeleton work in the red zone early in practice, with Treon Harris, Skyler Mornhinweg and Jacob Guy getting all the snaps.
-- Harris, after looking sharp in the intro periods open to the media on Monday, showed some of the rust McElwain talked about. He threw behind Robinson on one throw (Robinson made a nice adjustment and caught it for a touchdown anyway), then threw an interception to Brian Poole on a very poor throw. Later he threw into the dirt on a slant for Thompson.
-- Mornhinweg wasn't much better, despite hitting Raph Andrades on a deep post for a touchdown on his first pass. He should have been intercepted on a horribly placed curl for Ahmad Fulwood, but walk-on D.L. Powell dropped it. He had tight end Jake McGee one-on-one with Powell over the middle a play later but threw too low, allowing Powell to break up the potential touchdown pass.
-- Guy also had some issues in the red zone pass skeleton, but put one nice deep slant onto Worton for a touchdown in front of J.C. Jackson. Two other throws were off on possible touchdowns, with one sailing out of bounds on a corner route for Kalif Jackson and another being broken up by Jeremi Powell on a crossing route in the end zone.
-- The starters on both sides remained roughly the same as Monday, with the Gators trying a two tight end set in 11-on-11 work. Wednesday's starters:
QB Will Grier
RB Kelvin Taylor
WR Demarcus Robinson
WR Chris Thompson
TE C'yontai Lewis
TE Daniel Imatorbhebhe
LT Roderick Johnson
LG Travaris Dorsey
C Cameron Dillard
RG Antonio Riles
RT David Sharpe
SDE Jonathan Bullard
NT Joey Ivie
DT Taven Bryan
WDE Alex McCalister
MLB Alex Anzalone
WLB Daniel McMillian
CB Brian Poole
NB Quincy Wilson
S Marcus Maye
S Keanu Neal
CB Vernon Hargreaves III
-- The team was taking part in some spirited tackling drills, dubbed "Gator Drills," as the media left the field, with a lot of audible whooping and hollering.

Originally posted by Gator Fever:
I guess Taylor said we are straight pro-style everything. So Colorado State type offense is out the door.
This post was edited on 3/26 4:41 PM by Gator Fever
Look at the HBC, OC and recruiting. I told you geniuses from day 1 we were going to be straight pro. Hust like I told you there is no QB competition, that is a term used to keep Treon from transferring before next year

IMO the jury is still out on Fedora.
As it is on Mac

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8bPWVRw1aw

Treon looks horrific in this vid

Originally posted by 46885:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8bPWVRw1aw

Treon looks horrific in this vid
My guess is we are almost exclusively under-center, 12 personnel.

Treon does not even remotely fit what we want to do. But Mac needs to put on a show so Treon doesn't transfer before fall, its really that simple

So mac is just making it impossible for a kid that can't play QB like a real QB to.... not be able to play QB like a real QB? Treon is missing 2 step drop throws out of SHOTGUN, one step throws looking off the defense and throwing SHAKE ROUTES ON AIR that he's missing... Not to mention the 5 yard speed out routes in the tree that I spoke of like two weeks ago, he's throwing them behind and LATE. He was even throwing the 2 yard snake screens late and backwards (which is what you are taught most times) but he's doing it inaccurately and you can tell because of how the ball is spinning..

Im sorry for all of these guys that seem to have an agenda of either hating our offense, OC or how they 'THINK" this thing will be run... you are just flat out looking for bad things and are wrong.. and a TON of our fan bases agenda seems to be geared towards this topic of how Treon should just be our QB and he's getting shoved aside, hell most of the convos and threads i've seen outside of this site is about how it's a race thing... Look at how we recruited last year and for the future, it's just nonsense ..... We have seen a lot of negative for a lot of years in a row now on offense but we have one of the up and coming college offensive coaches that hired an amazing defensive staff as well. Some of you guys are being embarrassing in not only your opinion but your assessment or lack there of from a guy that hasn't coached a game yet.. You REALLY THINK that a guy that was the first guy in history to be hired away from colorado state....Produced, developed and coached a 4k + passer (and many people are talking about him being a steal in the draft and POSSIBLY the best QB in the draft in the end).. along with the BILETNIKOFF Award runner up all on the SAME OFFENSE at COLORADO STATE.

If you think he got lucky to produce that in just two years at a school like that, much less turning QB's like Greg Mcelroy into Championship QB's and winners over our own Tebow in the biggest SEC game maybe ever and turning him into a National Champion and a highly reliable and touted QB the very next year in 2010.. I mean he really made people think he could possibly play in the NFL, that alone with that kid should count for a lot.. Then Mccarron, still don't even know how to spell his name, after that first LSU game in 2011, people dubbed him as the worst QB in all of CFB. Then the 2nd game he was out there stretching the ball vertical taking advantage of matchups that our new coach put out there him.

Say whatever you want about the offense or how you think it will be run but Will Grier is the best QB we have out there, it's an absolute no show of competitors for him. He's getting better fast out there and getting his feet, reads, throws and comfortability with the RIGHT WR's than can make plays and catch the damn ball for him out there...

Saw nothing that I could make a definitive statement from in that video, all the routes and throws we had guys making still look like first day install stuff. 5 yard speed outs, curls, receiver screens, etc. Didn't see much to be concerned or encouraged by from either tbh.

I'm sure Coach McElwain will accurately and fairly evaluate the personnel at quarterback. The guy that ultimately gets the starting job will be the one McElwain judges to be the best based on the eye test. I would not be surprised to see the choice legitimately delayed until the Fall. Some here may think McElwain is playing his cards close to his vest to assure Treon stays. In reality it is important to the team and to the coaching staff to determine the likely starter as soon as practically possible. I think Coach Mac would prefer to get things settled irregardless of the potential consequences to the other qbs on the roster. For all we know Treon could be 3rd or 4th choice based on performance.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT