ADVERTISEMENT

Spring Football Thread

If we're honest with ourselves, we can admit why he won't name a starter anytime soon. And that's not a shot at Coach Mac because frankly that's the smart thing to do considering how thin we are at the position. It isn't a Grier vs. Harris thing either because if he thought Morningweh was hands down the best QB for example I still doubt he'd name him the starter after spring just to make sure Grier or Harris doesn't transfer.

Originally posted by oozie7:
Saw nothing that I could make a definitive statement from in that video, all the routes and throws we had guys making still look like first day install stuff. 5 yard speed outs, curls, receiver screens, etc. Didn't see much to be concerned or encouraged by from either tbh.
Just about everything that I have read about Treon has been that his throws are just way off, no rhythm, terrible footwork and fumbling a ton of snaps. Grier has had his struggles to with some accuracy but so far it's not even close out there who is performing like the starter from what has been on video and written.

http://florida.scout.com/story/1533737-video-wr-s-and-db-s-1-on-1-s-4-1

Quincy Wilson is f'in HUGE!

We will run the same offense McElwain ran at CSU, just not yet. This years offense will be a transition year into that offense. He did the same thing at CSU.

Originally posted by 46885:

Saw nothing that I could make a definitive statement from in that video, all the routes and throws we had guys making still look like first day install stuff. 5 yard speed outs, curls, receiver screens, etc. Didn't see much to be concerned or encouraged by from either tbh.
Just about everything that I have read about Treon has been that his throws are just way off, no rhythm, terrible footwork and fumbling a ton of snaps. Grier has had his struggles to with some accuracy but so far it's not even close out there who is performing like the starter from what has been on video and written.
I mean I wouldn't doubt it, Treon has never been a rhythm passer. He's not a guy you give a 3, 5, or 7 step drop and ask to drive an offense down the field, but then very few college QB's can do that either. I'm just sayin I can't take any of these practice reports seriously after the last 3 years when we've gotten nothing but 'Driskel is awesome this year!' Especially when I would watch video or the spring games and have my eyes telling me we were in a lot of trouble.

Originally posted by PacoGator19:

We will run the same offense McElwain ran at CSU, just not yet. This years offense will be a transition year into that offense. He did the same thing at CSU.
Are you are saying he ran mostly standard pro set at CSU the first season? I will have to go look at some tape on that season but I thought they went straight into that spread offense there it just wasn't clicking the first season until late in the season. I do see 2012 had some bad stats.
This post was edited on 4/3 2:01 PM by Gator Fever

Watched a little of some mid season games CSU had in 2013 and they were definitely passing out of spread formations mostly like in 2014. The difference seemed to be they were running it with the RB placed behind the QB a lot more then they did in 2014 where the RB was usually placed to the side of the QB.

I got mixed up thinking he was only at CSU 2 years not 3 but looking at some video CSU did take quite a few snaps from under center in 2012 unlike 2013 and 2014.
This post was edited on 4/3 2:58 PM by Gator Fever

Originally posted by 46885:

I mean I wouldn't doubt it, Treon has never been a rhythm passer. He's not a guy you give a 3, 5, or 7 step drop and ask to drive an offense down the field, but then very few college QB's can do that either. I'm just sayin I can't take any of these practice reports seriously after the last 3 years when we've gotten nothing but 'Driskel is awesome this year!' Especially when I would watch video or the spring games and have my eyes telling me we were in a lot of trouble.
Well I mean i've seen it in the 4 or 5 vids I've watched more than anything, if that's what you are seeing constantly with such small samples on different days then it's probably happening often.. Like Worton dropping balls

Yea I feel ya. I might be in the minority here but I'm really worried about both those guys. Harris needs to be in an offense that incorporates his legs because he's not a good enough passer to throw into small windows. And I feel Grier has that potential BUT we have a glaring lack of weapons on offense. Combine that with a shaky o-line and I feel like we're gonna have to run Grier to, which really isn't ideal given his back injury and his slight frame. It's kinda why I thought us signing a QB this past class was a priority. We all hope one of Harris or Grier takes off but what if they don't? Had we signed a QB this past class then we could have redshirted him and have him with a full year in Mac's offense ready to challenge for the job in year 2. As it is now if neither QB is what the staff wants then we go into year 2 either having to start a true freshman or start a QB who the coaches don't like that much. Lord I need Grier or Harris to ball out.

Yea I feel ya. I might be in the minority here but I'm really worried about both those guys. Harris needs to be in an offense that incorporates his legs because he's not a good enough passer to throw into small windows. And I feel Grier has that potential BUT we have a glaring lack of weapons on offense. Combine that with a shaky o-line and I feel like we're gonna have to run Grier to, which really isn't ideal given his back injury and his slight frame. It's kinda why I thought us signing a QB this past class was a priority. We all hope one of Harris or Grier takes off but what if they don't? Had we signed a QB this past class then we could have redshirted him and have him with a full year in Mac's offense ready to challenge for the job in year 2. As it is now if neither QB is what the staff wants then we go into year 2 either having to start a true freshman or start a QB who the coaches don't like that much. Lord I need Grier or Harris to ball out.
They are talking that walk on guy up a little now. That would be something if he ended up starting at one point. With the O line I doubt either Harris or Grier can finish out a whole season without missing a game or two.

I am still leaning to Harris probably getting the starting job due to playing last season. Maybe I am a little gun shy on QBs because of how Driskel turned out but all this talk of Grier by people and just picking a few things out that were said on the little bit of practice observed have me thinking Grier might not be the savior people think he is. I think it was some red zone drills they were practicing and reading between the lines it sounded like Grier was running for his life most of his plays but the rest was Grier hit so ans so on a nice pass etc. Kind of like the mess we were fed on Driskel you had to filter through to see there may be some issues.

Originally posted by Gator Fever:
They are talking that walk on guy up a little now. That would be something if he ended up starting at one point. With the O line I doubt either Harris or Grier can finish out a whole season without missing a game or two.

I am still leaning to Harris probably getting the starting job due to playing last season. Maybe I am a little gun shy on QBs because of how Driskel turned out but all this talk of Grier by people and just picking a few things out that were said on the little bit of practice observed have me thinking Grier might not be the savior people think he is. I think it was some red zone drills they were practicing and reading between the lines it sounded like Grier was running for his life most of his plays but the rest was Grier hit so ans so on a nice pass etc. Kind of like the mess we were fed on Driskel you had to filter through to see there may be some issues.
Yea I agree. Given some of our personnel issues the best bet this year might be to let Grier or Harris wing it since they're both athletic enough. I don't think we're strong enough up front to develop a downhill running game or really protect the QB like we should. I'm guessing whoever it is will have to use their legs a lot this year.

Originally posted by Michi-Gator:
What's the word on WR, last I read outside DRob and Powell Coach Mac was less than impressed.
The little that has been reported seems to suggest Worton could possibly move up a lot this season. Not a lot of talk about Fullwood or Powell that I have seen anyway. Sounds like Robinson may be the only legit threat again but at least we have that TE now if he can stay healthy.

Originally posted by Dannygator1989:
You know Michi, you can always read and research things.
On vacation, not research time. Plus Coach Mac has that whole Saban "everything is super secret" thing going on.

This post was edited on 4/5 11:01 AM by Michi-Gator

"Grier Struggles Mightily
While quarterback Will Grier continues to get the first crack at first-team reps in both speed ball and pass skeleton work in the open periods, he had his worst day to date in the work open to the media.
Grier completed two short passes during speed ball work to Demarcus Robinson and was fine during a route tree drill on air, but he really struggled when the team began red zone pass skeleton work.
His first pass was picked off by Keanu Neal on a woefully underthrown seam to Jake McGee. Grier then threw a ball into the dirt on an out, overthrew two receivers in the end zone, was forced to pull the ball down with the secondary locking up his receivers three times, threw one away out of the back of the end zone and missed McGee again on an overthrow on a corner route in the end zone.
He finished the pass skeleton drill just 1-7 passing, with the lone completion on a short checkdown dumpoff to a running back with everyone covered.
Drops Crop Up Again
Drops were an issue again at times for the offense, particularly on the route tree drill against air. There were at least four, with Ahmad Fulwood dropping two extremely catchable balls on relatively simple routes (a corner and a skinny post).
Freshman receiver Kalif Jackson had a drop on air on one of his first looks, while Alvin Bailey also dropped a pass that hit him in the hands.
It wasn't the most crisp of efforts from the wideouts.
Secondary Extremely Staunch
If there was ever a dominant day for the secondary, this was it. By the middle of the pass skeleton drill, the defensive backs were openly taunting Grier, daring him to throw and chiding him for not doing it when he decided against it.
Neal nicely read Grier for the aforementioned pick.
The most impressive interception, though, belonged to walk-on D.L. Powell, who has recorded one in the last two practices open to the media. Powell hung on the hip of McGee on a post across the middle of the end zone, then wrestled the ball away from his grasp as the two went to the ground. Powell has been very impressive for a walk-on.
Other News and Notes
-- Quarterbacks Skyler Mornhinweg and Treon Harris were both sharper than Grier in the work open to the media, though neither completed a throw with a high degree of difficulty. Still, Mornhinweg found walk-on Evan Schroeder on a wheel route for a touchdown with Marcus Maye getting over a little late. Harris had a nice completion on a slant to C.J. Worton.
-- Running back Kelvin Taylor got more work in speed ball today, taking two carries off left tackle. While Ahmad Fulwood got a decent block on the first on the perimeter, David Sharpe was beaten easily by Jordan Sherit on the second for an easy tackle for a loss.
-- A handful of new players started at receiver in speed ball 11-on-11 work, with Ahmad Fulwood working outside and Valdez Showers working in the slot. DeAndre Goolsby was the starting tight end. Showers lined up as an H-back on one of the running plays."

I guess McElwain made some comment about Grier being a little ahead due to Harris missing 4 practices or words to that effect.

Maybe I am just still thinking of the Driskel situation too much but I am getting a bad feeling that Grier might not be what we hope he is.

Maybe I am just still thinking of the Driskel situation too much but I am getting a bad feeling that Grier might not be what we hope he is.
If anyone is capable of developing Grier it's Coach McElwain.

Our QBs and WRs are going up against the best secondary in practice day in and day out. I don't expect them to have too many good days against Hargreaves, JC Jackson, Tabor, QWilson, Neal, Poole, Washington, Maye, Dawson & Porter

Some guy at another site is saying he saw the most recent scrimmage and said Guy looked the best out of the QBs to him that Grier and Morningwheg were having to take off running most plays while Guy was finding the check down guy or a receiver usually. Said it was happening so fast he didn't know how much each QB was going against the 1st team defense etc. I guess Harris missed practice that day due to that family death also.

I guess Taylor said we are straight pro-style everything. So Colorado State type offense is out the door.
This post was edited on 3/26 4:41 PM by Gator Fever
Look at the HBC, OC and recruiting. I told you geniuses from day 1 we were going to be straight pro. Hust like I told you there is no QB competition, that is a term used to keep Treon from transferring before next year
I prefer what you can do in a spread offense but I honestly don't care...f*&^ing win! Truth is if you don't win then none of it matters anyways...it's all talk.

Our QBs and WRs are going up against the best secondary in practice day in and day out. I don't expect them to have too many good days against Hargreaves, JC Jackson, Tabor, QWilson, Neal, Poole, Washington, Maye, Dawson & Porter
If these QB's can beat that crew then we really have something...so far they are getting their asses handed to them. lol Our QB's will only get much better working against our secondary.

Yea I honestly wouldn't expect much from our offense this spring, I'm not surprised by the reports. They're learning a new system so nobody is on the same page and they're going up against what will be one of the best defenses in the country. If they weren't getting smashed right now I'd be surprised. All that said, it doesn't take a genius to figure out we're going to struggle on offense with the fall. Combine the new system with inexperienced QB's, lack of linemen, lack of skill players, etc. and it just is what it is. The hope is that we improve as the year goes along.

Yea I honestly wouldn't expect much from our offense this spring, I'm not surprised by the reports. They're learning a new system so nobody is on the same page and they're going up against what will be one of the best defenses in the country. If they weren't getting smashed right now I'd be surprised. All that said, it doesn't take a genius to figure out we're going to struggle on offense with the fall. Combine the new system with inexperienced QB's, lack of linemen, lack of skill players, etc. and it just is what it is. The hope is that we improve as the year goes along.

Alabama went up against these exact same players less than 8 months ago and set a school record in passing. So let's not jump to conclusions just yet. Taking the last 5 seasons into account, I am more inclined to be cautiously optimistic at the very best, that we are improving in our passing game.

Originally posted by grommit:

Alabama went up against these exact same players less than 8 months ago and set a school record in passing. So let's not jump to conclusions just yet. Taking the last 5 seasons into account, I am more inclined to be cautiously optimistic at the very best, that we are improving in our passing game.
The Bama game was very early in the season before adjustments were made in the secondary and before Tabor and Q Wilson started to come on and we didn't have JC Jackson last year.

How did the secondary do at the end of the year against FSU?

Originally posted by JD Gator:
grommit, do you even know what a midline is?
roll.r191677.gif

This will never get old. So well timed.

A massive amount of that yardage came on two deep bombs.

But let's not let facts get in the way of of midlines.

Please remove Poole from this list as to not offend the others

A massive amount of that yardage came on two deep bombs.

But let's not let facts get in the way of of midlines.
This will go down as a very underrated Danny post.. That's pretty hilarious, sig worthy type stuff..

Please remove Poole from this list as to not offend the others
Can we please get the players to jump him like OSU players did Cardale Jones? but actually for real

every single pass was on him or Maye and Gorman...

I guess McElroy was on the radio saying we might just be a 5 win team after watching us in practice. I am sure he keeps in contact with McElwain some but that is still a crazy prediction unless the O line gets completely gutted during the season.

Also them acting like Robinson and McGee are just average players is off a little imo. Robinson may not be a star but he is better then the average SEC receiver and McGee looks legit in the games he played at least.
This post was edited on 4/9 10:56 AM by Gator Fever

What's wrong with Poole? I think he is a good nickel back and a good tackler. Maye is the one that has struggled at times. Poole is a good player.

What's wrong with Poole? I think he is a good nickel back and a good tackler. Maye is the one that has struggled at times. Poole is a good player.
Of course YOU would think Nickleback is good.

Of course YOU would think Nickleback is good.
laugh.r191677.gif

I guess McElroy was on the radio saying we might just be a 5 win team after watching us in practice. I am sure he keeps in contact with McElwain some but that is still a crazy prediction unless the O line gets completely gutted during the season.

Also them acting like Robinson and McGee are just average players is off a little imo. Robinson may not be a star but he is better then the average SEC receiver and McGee looks legit in the games he played at least.
This post was edited on 4/9 10:56 AM by Gator Fever
I've heard this a few times now, I need to see this team practice.. Hopefully I can see something in the spring game

Grier already did more things in the first drive of a scrimmage than Driskel ever did lol

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT