ADVERTISEMENT

So, ummm that new staff recruiting bump that always happens...

I think we'll get Manuel. He says its 85% likely he goes to UF.

We definitely need more playmakers on Offense. We are still actively pursuing 6 top rated WRs. If we could get 2 of those to go along with Swain, Hammond and the Juco guy we got....that would be an awesome WR haul and would restock the position. This year there were only 3 guys the coaches trusted at all and one of those was DRob. Worton has potential if he'd ever get his head straight. The rest.....ummm, no. Just no.

We also need a stud LB or two and it would be REALLY nice if we coud get Tatum and one more stud OL.......Terrance Davis would be an awesome get if we could pull that off in a couple days when he announces.

WR Tyrie Cleveland is looking hard at UF now. We still are in it for Eli Stove as well.

I think we'll get Manuel. He says its 85% likely he goes to UF.

We definitely need more playmakers on Offense. We are still actively pursuing 6 top rated WRs. If we could get 2 of those to go along with Swain, Hammond and the Juco guy we got....that would be an awesome WR haul and would restock the position. This year there were only 3 guys the coaches trusted at all and one of those was DRob. Worton has potential if he'd ever get his head straight. The rest.....ummm, no. Just no.

We also need a stud LB or two and it would be REALLY nice if we coud get Tatum and one more stud OL.......Terrance Davis would be an awesome get if we could pull that off in a couple days when he announces.
All this is great thinking.

But we have three open spots

I'm just hearing we can sign more than 28. As of right now I'm not putting much stock into that article. I think this staff is a little better at recruiting than some are giving them credit for. I believe they have a plan and I believe the guys behind the scenes (support staff, etc) have been very beneficial.

I'm just hearing we can sign more than 28. As of right now I'm not putting much stock into that article.

Yet the article is very detailed. And it explains precisely why 28 is the right number, in spite of information to the contrary.

Now, the author might have missed something and could be wrong. In fact, prior to reading that article, I also thought the number was closer to 31 or so.

But the information in the article is so detailed and the fact that we back off so many committed recruits gives credence that the number is much closer to 28 than something larger.

So, unless someone has a detailed reason why the number should be higher, then I think it is far more likely that it is 28. I certainly do not have a reason why that number should be higher, other than I read it on other boards. Do you?

So, unless someone has a detailed reason why the number should be higher, then I think it is far more likely that it is 28. I certainly do not have a reason why that number should be higher, other than I read it on other boards. Do you?
Yes I have reason to believe the number could be higher than 28.

Ok....and....?
Grey shirt, blue shirt & some other loopholes. I believe the staff can get to 31. Not sure they will but I believe they can make it happen if needed. This staff will leave no stone unturned.

Last edited:
Yet the article is very detailed. And it explains precisely why 28 is the right number, in spite of information to the contrary.

Now, the author might have missed something and could be wrong. In fact, prior to reading that article, I also thought the number was closer to 31 or so.

But the information in the article is so detailed and the fact that we back off so many committed recruits gives credence that the number is much closer to 28 than something larger.

How does Saban manage to sign as many as he pleases every year? Bama must understand the rules better than most, and our guy worked with Saban, so...

I profess to no great understanding of the scholly rules, but I THINK it's not how many sign in February, but how many enroll and attend class in August.

The last 3-4 high star commitments were immediately followed up by a low 3 star guy decommitting. This staff looks like they are good about setting expectations with the lower star guys.

If the pattern continues we could stop at 28 and still get 5-6 more guys, if 2-3 of the current lower ranked guys go elsewhere.

Grey shirt, blue shirt & some other loopholes. I believe the staff can get to 31. Not sure they will but I believe they can make it happen if needed. This staff will leave no stone unturned.

A medical research Dr. in Alaska has discovered the cure to Cancer.

In an interview, the Dr. said that he had totally stopped the growth of Cancer cells in humans. He is doing that with the fluid secreted by the Artic Tern's pituitary gland after it has received large doses of THC.

In his efforts to stop Cancer in humans, he said that 'He'd leave no Tern Un-stoned!' :D
(my tribute to the BONG) ;)

So, tell us how that works

A gray shirt or blue shirt are players that are not really sought after by other major Power 5 schools. The only way that can be 'beneficial' for UF is for Coach Mac to convince some of the current 2 and 3 star guys like Trask, for example, to forego a full ride scholarship for this first year and accept being a preferred walk-on., but still want to enroll at Florida in hopes of getting that scholarship by next August or January. Unless, of course, Coach Mac can 'arrange' an extra few scholarships before the Fall season begins (see Saban school of attrition).

The question becomes, UF wants o build their numbers now so asking guys from this class to gray shirt still delays them entering school for a full calendar year (next January) at the earliest. Why would they want to do this?

A blue shirt is an iffy/borderline power 5 player who most likely has no scholarship offers from other power 5 schools. It can help build numbers, but not much from a quality standpoint.

Thanks. I understand the concept of walk ons. Which can help us with the 28 man limit that I think we have. But as you say, only 2 and 1 star guys will go that route.

I also understand the Saban method of "processing" a guy out to make room for the 85 limit. But I think we have a hard limit of 28 guys this year, so processing guys out will not help with that.

Thanks. I understand the concept of walk ons. Which can help us with the 28 man limit that I think we have. But as you say, only 2 and 1 star guys will go that route.

I also understand the Saban method of "processing" a guy out to make room for the 85 limit. But I think we have a hard limit of 28 guys this year, so processing guys out will not help with that.

That is what I explained a while back. I am with you on the 28 number unless you try and get a bunch of preferred walk-ons. That will help with practices, but I would think quality is wanted versus quantity at this point.

A gray shirt or blue shirt are players that are not really sought after by other major Power 5 schools. The only way that can be 'beneficial' for UF is for Coach Mac to convince some of the current 2 and 3 star guys like Trask, for example, to forego a full ride scholarship for this first year and accept being a preferred walk-on., but still want to enroll at Florida in hopes of getting that scholarship by next August or January. Unless, of course, Coach Mac can 'arrange' an extra few scholarships before the Fall season begins (see Saban school of attrition).

The question becomes, UF wants o build their numbers now so asking guys from this class to gray shirt still delays them entering school for a full calendar year (next January) at the earliest. Why would they want to do this?

A blue shirt is an iffy/borderline power 5 player who most likely has no scholarship offers from other power 5 schools. It can help build numbers, but not much from a quality standpoint.

Not true. Greyshirt and blueshirts used to work that way but a lot of coaches are now using it to over sign. They sign as many as possible and then at the last second ask some guys to greyshirt or blueshirt. Tennessee did that a a lot over the last three years. Bama does it now too and the some of the guys greyshirting or blueshirting were 3 and 4-star prospects.

That is what I explained a while back. I am with you on the 28 number unless you try and get a bunch of preferred walk-ons. That will help with practices, but I would think quality is wanted versus quantity at this point.

You don't understand the nature of the conversation between Paco and MJWilliamson.

Paco is being Paco. He's speaking in vague generalities so that he can later claim he was correct or deny he was wrong. It's his m.o.

MJWilliamson was trying to get Paco to be specific because we all know he CANNOT be specific.

Why can't Paco be specific?

Because he's repeating bits and pieces of what he's overheard other people say or (more likely) read on membership only message boards.

Not true. Greyshirt and blueshirts used to work that way but a lot of coaches are now using it to over sign. They sign as many as possible and then at the last second ask some guys to greyshirt or blueshirt. Tennessee did that a a lot over the last three years. Bama does it now too and the some of the guys greyshirting or blueshirting were 3 and 4-star prospects.
Fair enough.

But grey or blue shirts do not change the 28 man limit. It only allows us to bring in guys willing to come without a scholarship.

Paco is asserting that we have something larger than 28 places. He won't give specifics as to why he thinks the number is higher than that, yet he won't back off that claim up either.

At one time, there were some whispers that the two guys that were declared academically ineligible might increase our number. The theory was since they were both transfers, declaring them ineligible for the bowl game might increase our ships. It was an intriguing thought, if somewhat Saban-like. However, after some people looked into that possibility, no one could find support for the theory.

So I ask Paco again, tell us specifically why you think the number is higher than 28.

Last edited:
I should have kept reading before I responded to oozie. Ghost did a pretty good, if more acerbic job of it in his response to kelly.

Fair enough.

But grey or blue shirts do not change the 28 man limit. It only allows us to bring in guys willing to come without a scholarship.

Paco is asserting that we have something larger than 28 places. He won't give specifics as to why he thinks the number is higher than that, yet he won't back off that claim up either.

At one time, there were some whispers that the two guys that were declared academically ineligible might increase our number. The theory was since they were both transfers, declaring them ineligible for the bowl game might increase our ships. It was an intriguing thought, if somewhat Saban-like. However, after some people looked into that possibility, no one could find support for the theory.

So I ask Paco again, tell us specifically why you think the number is higher than 28.

Oh yea I know. Was just clarifying that more than 2-star prospects or walkon players take a blueshirt or greyshirt these days. I think we're stuck at 28 too.

If you could stomach it this is McElwain's exact quote from today post game PC

"about 28-30 new members to the team being in this recruiting class"

He has room for more than 28 if they want to go there.

Won't matter if he knows how to work the numbers if he keeps taking some of the reaches he's taken. The end result will be the same...not enough talent.

Reactions: BringBackBonner
Won't matter if he knows how to work the numbers if he keeps taking some of the reaches he's taken. The end result will be the same...not enough talent.

Many of those reaches were taken early on when, rightfully so, there was a concern that if the season turned out poorly (as many expected) we might red to fill up on some numbers who had potential.

I'm not worried about it yet.

Yet...

If you could stomach it this is McElwain's exact quote from today post game PC

"about 28-30 new members to the team being in this recruiting class"

He has room for more than 28 if they want to go there.
oH

So prior to today, you have no support for your contention?

And even that is not detailed or certain

oH

So prior to today, you have no support for your contention?

And even that is not detailed or certain
i already told you how they can get there. Grey shirts, blue shirts and some other loopholes. They already found some loopholes to get the 11 EEs in. They can get to 31 if they really want too. Like Michi even said he worked for Saban. He knows how to make the numbers work. The support staff already used some loopholes to get the 11 EEs in.

Many of those reaches were taken early on when, rightfully so, there was a concern that if the season turned out poorly (as many expected) we might red to fill up on some numbers who had potential.

I'm not worried about it yet.

Yet...

Correct, reaches were when many of us thought we would be 6-6 or 7-5. When guys like Victor and Manuel were not realistic. Recruits seem to be buying into Mac.

Correct, reaches were when many of us thought we would be 6-6 or 7-5. When guys like Victor and Manuel were not realistic. Recruits seem to be buying into Mac.
You are correct. With that being said Mac needs to close strong.

What Mac did after he got hired to create the class of 2015 is remarkable.

What he's done, and the position he's gotten the team in (regardless of the last 4-5 games) is remarkable, specifically with recruiting.

He took a miserable Colorado State team and turned it into a legitimate team with a QB in the NFL.

In his first gig.

A lot can be fixed, but for the first time in a very long time, I think we have a guy that CAN fix ALL the problems.

Doesn't mean he will, but I believe he has the capability. I think a bug sign is the way he has addressed the QB situation. He wasn't satisfied in the Spring, he had recruited QBS hard for this year and next year, and seems to have implied that, even with the positivity behind Grier's talent, he wouldn't just hand him the keys in game 7.

Reactions: Johnwerner
Guys like Nelson and Taylor were taken fairly recently. Nelson has one BCS offer I believe. And we aren't letting them go because we're trying to lure the best friend. Those are just two examples. I'll wait to see how we finish but I'm just 'meh' until further notice. We at least have been filling needs from a numbers standpoint by targeting positions we need but some of these dudes have no business at UF.

Guys like Nelson and Taylor were taken fairly recently. Nelson has one BCS offer I believe. And we aren't letting them go because we're trying to lure the best friend. Those are just two examples. I'll wait to see how we finish but I'm just 'meh' until further notice. We at least have been filling needs from a numbers standpoint by targeting positions we need but some of these dudes have no business at UF.
You talking about Jawaan Taylor?
Good friend of mine was a coach in the FACA North vs. South All Star game for the North team. He said the best player on the team was OL Jawaan Taylor. Said the kid was a beast. Said he was a great kid too b

Good friend of mine was a coach in the FACA North vs. South All Star game for the North team. He said the best player on the team was OL Jawaan Taylor. Said the kid was a beast. On one of the first plays they ran a screen pass and Taylor pulled out and as he said Taylor "made the CB trying to make the play dissolve." Said he was a great kid too. Obviously not the best state talent at that game, but still good to hear.

Well good. I don't see a problem since we're taking 31 players.

Reactions: MJWilliamson
Good friend of mine was a coach in the FACA North vs. South All Star game for the North team. He said the best player on the team was OL Jawaan Taylor. Said the kid was a beast. Said he was a great kid too b

No the safety from Bama.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT