ADVERTISEMENT

sadgator’s definitive position on the Mullen firing …

sadgator

Bull Gator
Jan 9, 2002
Copper Monkey 30 minutes prior to kickoff
sorry Paco…sadgator knows there are enough threads on this…but he felt the need to get his true position on record…

sadgator is seriously butt hurt…he ain’t gonna lie…this one hurts…bad…and sadgator wants to unfairly take out his frustration on those who he feels are foolishly reveling in this…

sadgator has been a loyal member of this board since 2002… he is as honest and true of a Gator fan as you will find….

sadgator isn’t a big money booster or person in the know…he is an average fan of average intelligence who thinks fondly about his time at Florida ‘93 every…single…day…

sadgator sang gator songs at his wedding and raised his kids going to games and loving the motherland….

but sadgator has finally had enough…we literally went through hell for approx. 7 years while two horrible coaches dismantled our identity and eveything we loved about Gator football…

Mullen gave us hope…he knew us…he embraced us…he walked our sidelines during two National Title runs…his staying for the BCSCG was a HUGE part of why we won a title in 2008…like it or not (many can’t acknowledge this)…

He returned with passion and a plan to return us to the program we knew…and for the better part of three years he did that…he spoke of “relentless effort” and a “gator standard” and when he spoke…sadgator believed…and he largely delivered…

Now…after one very shitty season…for whatever reason…he is gone…sadgator honestly believes that impatience was a large part of this…but it doesn’t matter…we are right back where we were 4 years ago…the vocal part of the fan base got what it wanted…

sadgator believes that this was a bad move.

Regardless, sadgator is done. sadgator surrenders. The “war” is over. sadgator has given up. The mob has won. But sadgator will say this…this average, nobody, “dedicated” fan won’t believe one word of this administration or next coaching staff about…”standards” or “efforts” or “anything” anymore.

So congratulations to everyone who wanted this…sadgator hopes you get what you want…

it is apparently all that matters…

but…based on where we’ve been for the past 11 years…sadgator wouldn’t bet on it…

sorry Paco…sadgator knows there are enough threads on this…but he felt the need to get his true position on record…

sadgator is seriously butt hurt…he ain’t gonna lie…this one hurts…bad…and sadgator wants to unfairly take out his frustration on those who he feels are foolishly reveling in this…

sadgator has been a loyal member of this board since 2002… he is as honest and true of a Gator fan as you will find….

sadgator isn’t a big money booster or person in the know…he is an average fan of average intelligence who thinks fondly about his time at Florida ‘93 every…single…day…

sadgator sang gator songs at his wedding and raised his kids going to games and loving the motherland….

but sadgator has finally had enough…we literally went through hell for approx. 7 years while two horrible coaches dismantled our identity and eveything we loved about Gator football…

Mullen gave us hope…he knew us…he embraced us…he walked our sidelines during two National Title runs…his staying for the BCSCG was a HUGE part of why we won a title in 2008…like it or not (many can’t acknowledge this)…

He returned with passion and a plan to return us to the program we knew…and for the better part of three years he did that…he spoke of “relentless effort” and a “gator standard” and when he spoke…sadgator believed…and he largely delivered…

Now…after one very shitty season…for whatever reason…he is gone…sadgator honestly believes that impatience was a large part of this…but it doesn’t matter…we are right back where we were 4 years ago…the vocal part of the fan base got what it wanted…

Regardless, sadgator is done. sadgator surrenders. The “war” is over. sadgator has given up. The mob has won. But sadgator will say this…this average, nobody, “dedicated” fan won’t believe one word of this administration or next coaching staff about…”standards” or “efforts” or “anything” anymore.

So congratulations to everyone who wanted this…sadgator hopes you get what you want…

but…based on where we’ve been for the past 11 years…sadgator wouldn’t bet on it…
Seriously butt hurt or an average Saturday night? Since 2002 or 19 years of not paying a dime? Look at what all the power 5 teams did vs their cupcake opponents this weekend and we struggled vs. SAMFORD? Almost as bad as FSU losing to Jacksonville St. Anbody got some good cheese for Sad?

Seriously butt hurt or an average Saturday night? Since 2002 or 19 years of not paying a dime? Look at what all the power 5 teams did vs their cupcake opponents this weekend and we struggled vs. SAMFORD? Almost as bad as FSU losing to Jacksonville St. Anbody got some good cheese for Sad?
Could you just drop the not paying crap for ten minutes. Nobody’s happy with the way things are right now! Dan is a good coach but i believe his ego along with stubborness was his ultimate undoing.

Just glad its over. I feel we never would have recovered with the place he had led us recruiting wise. Year four was finally his team with basically all of his recruits and this is what he had led us to. The guy had checked out mostly it appeared.

Just based on history I know there is a good chance the next hire might not work out but I am holding out hope that he will. I think this is like when Mullen took over and there is enough young talent on defense to keep this team competitive next season if they are coached up and too many of them don't hit the portal. Not as sure on offense but if we found a good one at QB It could be decent. Hoping we have a young receiver that is able to stretch the field some to help out.

Reactions: gatordad3
curious?...how will you feel if the decision was correct and you start playing competitive football again?

Don't disagree with this. However, I do wonder what was going on behind the scenes. I do wonder if Mullen wanted to be here. He seemed disinterested, but I could be wrong.

curious?...how will you feel if the decision was correct and you start playing competitive football again?
What worries me isn't the Mullen firing, it's the attitude of most UF fans here and elsewhere. The question seems to be "well who can we get?" versus "Well who do we WANT?"

Isn't that what LSU did when they hired Orge? As I recall, they didn't push for the guy they really wanted, Tom Herman, cause they were scared he would tell them no, so they made the 'safe' pick. They got the guy they could get.

And now they have to get another one. I'd make a list of coaches I wanted, make each tell me 'No' till I got through that list, then if I still didn't have a hire, then go to the names being mentioned on this board like Kiffin and Freeze and Napier.

At least 2 of those guys would still be available, maybe all three. Can't hire scared when it comes to college football coaches. Swing for the fences and target coaches worthy of your job.

What does “competitive football” mean…we we’re pretty damn “competitive” in a lot of games last year and this year….right up until the UGA collapse.

Countygator is correct…the only thing we’ll never know is whether he wanted out…if so…then we are arguing about nothing….

all sadgator knows for sure is that this the most disheartened, disappointed, and deflated about the future of this program as sadgator has ever been….

sadgator honestly believes that Florida will never (at least in his lifetime) recover from this…

What does “competitive football” mean…we we’re pretty damn “competitive” in a lot of games last year and this year….right up until the UGA collapse.

Countygator is correct…the only thing we’ll never know is whether he wanted out…if so…then we are arguing about nothing….

all sadgator knows for sure is that this the most disheartened, disappointed, and deflated about the future of this program as sadgator has ever been….

sadgator honestly believes that Florida will never (at least in his lifetime) recover from this…
That shows you know nothing about Gator Football. Bob Stoops wouldn’t change your mind?

I think the wheels had to be in motion as far as Mullen leaving. My guess would be they had already agreed he'd leave in the offseason but then the performances became too embarrassing and they had to pull the trigger early. There was a ton of noise that the decision was made after the Georgia game. Someone on here posted Thamel's tweet that the job would be open. I think it had to be a mutual decision.

I think the wheels had to be in motion as far as Mullen leaving. My guess would be they had already agreed he'd leave in the offseason but then the performances became too embarrassing and they had to pull the trigger early. There was a ton of noise that the decision was made after the Georgia game. Someone on here posted Thamel's tweet that the job would be open. I think it had to be a mutual decision.

Disagree with this and think 2 wins at the end would have saved him. I do think he was ready to go but if that Missouri QB doesn't make that throw falling on his butt FSU probably would have been the deciding factor.

I've been on record with a negative impression of Mullen(though still willing to give him another year). However, regardless on what side of the coin a person is, pun intended, criticizing somebody's opinion based on how much they spend, or don't spend, feels rather.....cheap. pun intended again. (I'm hilarious)

But If you wanna play that game, I have a question......do you pay anything?
I mean, in a way that you could prove it if you meet some of the regular posters at games? I've seen people here say that they met in person.

FYI, even watching a game on TV helps UF's finances. How do you think UF gets $20 million yearly by that SEC media contract?

Last edited:
Disagree with this and think 2 wins at the end would have saved him. I do think he was ready to go but if that Missouri QB doesn't make that throw falling on his butt FSU probably would have been the deciding factor.
Could be. If so, I disagree with the decision. Shouldn’t be making a decision like that based on a single bad year, although this year has been a doozy.

I think after UGA, stricklin said ok your take it or leave it schtick isn’t going to cut it. This is what you’re going to have to do to get this program back on track and Mullen was like thanks but no thanks.

I believe Mullen was gone regardless of the Missouri and FSU results. Other things going on besides just on field performance.

Reactions: sadgator
I believe Mullen was gone regardless of the Missouri and FSU results. Other things going on besides just on field performance.
That’s gotta be right…there is no way the Athletic Director for a school like Florida is making decisions about the long-term future of the entire football program on the result of a two point conversion…

Reactions: EvilWayz
Could be. If so, I disagree with the decision. Shouldn’t be making a decision like that based on a single bad year, although this year has been a doozy.

I think after UGA, stricklin said ok your take it or leave it schtick isn’t going to cut it. This is what you’re going to have to do to get this program back on track and Mullen was like thanks but no thanks.

You could be right but I think for once we may have gotten the truth when Stricklin said he woke up after the game and decided he had to be fired - after much discussion prior to that loss of course and the staff firings.

That’s gotta be right…there is no way the Athletic Director for a school like Florida is making decisions about the long-term future of the entire football program on the result of a two point conversion…
Yes agreed. Just more stuff going on. Mullen’s a good coach. He took us to 3 straight NY6 bowls but unfortunately some things went awry behind the scenes that helped caused this dissent and likely something he can’t nor wants to recover from.

Don't be too sad, sad! In truth, how much of us really knows anything about what is really going on? Aren't we all just a bunch of speculators who like to believe that our opinions really matter? I've been a Gator fan since the early 60's and went to every home game while a student from '69 - '73 and many more over the years. Was there for the Reaves to Alvarez opening game beatdown of #1 Houston and remember the horrible years as well as the great ones. The program finally reached its potential under Spurrier and then the Urban years saw us achieve greatness for a while. Other than those regimes, Florida football has been good but not great. But we've seen what it could and should be with the facilities and the recruiting base and want that level of success to be the standard. I, like many who post here, thought Dan Mullen was THE guy to get us back to the level of SOS and Meyer. Didn't happen and even last year when we won the SEC East and had the most prolific offense in UF history, there were 4 losses and an embarrassing end to the season in the Cotton Bowl. This year's team just didn't have what it takes, in spite of nearly beating Alabama. Something was seriously wrong somewhere and it was showing up with lack of discipline and execution during games, plus a substantial drop in recruiting. There were obvious coaching issues that Dan waited too long to address and he seemed disinterested much of the time. I have no idea about all the ins and outs of what happened and I doubt anybody else on these message boards does either. Some may have a little insight from one or two people they know inside the program. But I highly doubt the complaining done on message boards has any effect on major, mulit-million dollar decisions in a D1 football program. We're simply just fans venting and expressing, for the most part, unsubstantiated opinions like we really matter. And that's fine - that's what these boards are for, I think. I love Gator athletics and will always pull for all the teams, players and coaches all the time. And I truly hope they hire a coach and staff who can get the football program back to the days of Spurrier & Meyer. Anything less is going to be unacceptable to most of us who have experienced the pinnacle of success.

Last edited:
What worries me isn't the Mullen firing, it's the attitude of most UF fans here and elsewhere. The question seems to be "well who can we get?" versus "Well who do we WANT?"

Isn't that what LSU did when they hired Orge? As I recall, they didn't push for the guy they really wanted, Tom Herman, cause they were scared he would tell them no, so they made the 'safe' pick. They got the guy they could get.

And now they have to get another one. I'd make a list of coaches I wanted, make each tell me 'No' till I got through that list, then if I still didn't have a hire, then go to the names being mentioned on this board like Kiffin and Freeze and Napier.

At least 2 of those guys would still be available, maybe all three. Can't hire scared when it comes to college football coaches. Swing for the fences and target coaches worthy of your job.
Why would anything about jt worry you? You’re a bammer. FFS.

You really need to change your name to @melodramaticgator LOL

Sadgator,
What do you think happened with DM? I've never seen such a radical direction change as we have watched this year. Was Dan wanting an NFL job last year? BTW, I believe this goes beyond our record and recruiting this year. Thx

I think this discussion took place the weekend Grantham got the boot. Mullin probably argued, words were said. Since then the wheels came off, Mullin had the apparent attitude that he didn't care and had mentally checked out. I had higher hopes for Mullin but if he doesn't GAF about mending his shortfalls, the sooner he is gone the better off the program is. When the bitch doesn't love you anymore, it's time to part ways no matter how good she can cook (and other things).

Sadgator,
What do you think happened with DM? I've never seen such a radical direction change as we have watched this year. Was Dan wanting an NFL job last year? BTW, I believe this goes beyond our record and recruiting this year. Thx
I think it makes some sense that Mullen thought this would be a three to four year stop on the way to the NFL. He basically said he was open to NFL jobs last offseason.

Sadgator,
Paco said it best. It was something behind the scenes. sadgator refuses to believe that the guy who talked in a press conference about wanting to kick ass at thumb wrestling simply gave up…

sadgator also refuses to believe that all the “relentless effort” “better as the season goes” lines were all horseshit…he meant that stuff…he was all in at a point…

why did it go South? We’ll likely never know and debate it forever…

I didn’t want Mullen fired either, but he made it impossible to keep him. It’s on him.
Love some sadgator but this is about where I come down. I love Mullen - period.

That mentioned, his recruiting was always an issue for me - but I had hope that the transfer portal would make up with that.

Where he lost me was last year's LSU game - when the shoe was thrown and the guys stays in the game, it's a problem. Add to that Grantham should have been gone this time last year.

If last year had played out, we have a top 5 recruiting class and a new aggressive D coordinator - I'd have stuck with Mullen another year or more.

The challenge per bradleygator is Mullen dug is own grave, only making the most obvious changes once they were forced on him.

You can't do that at a place like UF.

Reactions: PacoGator19
NBD, as this is an excellent decision for a Sucks-U,,,
so then for an I don't GaS fan,,, guuu-goaters....

This is now a closed subject for me, back to my nap....
😴

Don't be too sad, sad! In truth, how much of us really knows anything about what is really going on? Aren't we all just a bunch of speculators who like to believe that our opinions really matter? I've been a Gator fan since the early 60's and went to every home game while a student from '69 - '73 and many more over the years. Was there for the Reaves to Alvarez opening game beatdown of #1 Houston and remember the horrible years as well as the great ones. The program finally reached its potential under Spurrier and then the Urban years saw us achieve greatness for a while. Other than those regimes, Florida football has been good but not great. But we've seen what it could and should be with the facilities and the recruiting base and want that level of success to be the standard. I, like many who post here, thought Dan Mullen was THE guy to get us back to the level of SOS and Meyer. Didn't happen and even last year when we won the SEC East and had the most prolific offense in UF history, there were 4 losses and an embarrassing end to the season in the Cotton Bowl. This year's team just didn't have what it takes, in spite of nearly beating Alabama. Something was seriously wrong somewhere and it was showing up with lack of discipline and execution during games, plus a substantial drop in recruiting. There were obvious coaching issues that Dan waited too long to address and he seemed disinterested much of the time. I have no idea about all the ins and outs of what happened and I doubt anybody else on these message boards does either. Some may have a little insight from one or two people they know inside the program. But I highly doubt the complaining done on message boards has any effect on major, mulit-million dollar decisions in a D1 football program. We're simply just fans venting and expressing, for the most part, unsubstantiated opinions like we really matter. And that's fine - that's what these boards are for, I think. I love Gator athletics and will always pull for all the teams, players and coaches all the time. And I truly hope they hire a coach and staff who can get the football program back to the days of Spurrier & Meyer. Anything less is going to be unacceptable to most of us who have experienced the pinnacle of success.
To quote the late Shug Jordan “you’re so right Ocala”

Love some sadgator but this is about where I come down. I love Mullen - period.

That mentioned, his recruiting was always an issue for me - but I had hope that the transfer portal would make up with that.

Where he lost me was last year's LSU game - when the shoe was thrown and the guys stays in the game, it's a problem. Add to that Grantham should have been gone this time last year.

If last year had played out, we have a top 5 recruiting class and a new aggressive D coordinator - I'd have stuck with Mullen another year or more.

The challenge per bradleygator is Mullen dug is own grave, only making the most obvious changes once they were forced on him.

You can't do that at a place like UF.
Mizzou 2020 should have been a warning, imo

Reactions: gatorbuilderorlando

From the outside looking in, I think the best play would have been to hire top notch DC and some badass recruiters for position coaches. If I'm UF, that's what I would have done. Mullen had 3 really good years here and for whatever reason this yr he just lost a bunch of close games to good teams (bama) and bad teams (Mizz). I don't see how you fire Mullen unless you are 100% sure that you can find a better replacement and I'm not sure you can do that. Mullen was elite at development and GameDay coaching. He was average at recruiting and that was his main downfall I guess. I think this could have been fixed with bringing in 2 or 3 badass recruiting position coaches and an elite d coordinator. That would have been my play from the outside looking in. I obviously don't know everything that went on but Dan was a good coach, in the ESD era, if you make a coaching change, u can't miss, we at fsu know that all too well. Hiring the wrong guy now is more devastating than ever.

Last edited:
Yes agreed. Just more stuff going on. Mullen’s a good coach. He took us to 3 straight NY6 bowls but unfortunately some things went awry behind the scenes that helped caused this dissent and likely something he can’t nor wants to recover from.

Didn't he break Urbans record of most wins through 30 games or something like that

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT