ADVERTISEMENT

O line issues getting worse

Gator Fever

Bull Gator
Feb 13, 2008
Talk about Murphy's Law now it is looking like Johnson's injury may be career threatening and he will probably miss this season for sure with what some are saying now. If Trip Thurman doesn't return we may be seeing shades of 2013 again. Unless a linemen really surprises they won't do well as a true freshman in SEC play with no spring practice in addition to camp.

Sucks to hear for Johnson more than anything. But yea I'm not expecting much offensively, and it won't be any fault of the coaches. They've been left a chit sandwich by the last incompetent group. It's going to take years to fix this. What I am more concerned about is just getting into a nasty cycle. Right now we lack so much talent offensively that it's hard to see the offense being anything but mediocre. Which means the top offensive recruits won't give us a look. So it gets to be a nasty cycle. Lack of talent which means lack of production which means lack of big time recruits and it just keeps going and going. We've been in this cycle since 10' and still seem like we'll be in it for another 2 years.

Originally posted by oozie7:
Sucks to hear for Johnson more than anything. But yea I'm not expecting much offensively, and it won't be any fault of the coaches. They've been left a chit sandwich by the last incompetent group. It's going to take years to fix this. What I am more concerned about is just getting into a nasty cycle. Right now we lack so much talent offensively that it's hard to see the offense being anything but mediocre. Which means the top offensive recruits won't give us a look. So it gets to be a nasty cycle. Lack of talent which means lack of production which means lack of big time recruits and it just keeps going and going. We've been in this cycle since 10' and still seem like we'll be in it for another 2 years.
I think you are right for this upcoming season at minimum.

This post was edited on 4/12 12:17 AM by Gator Fever

Originally posted by Dannygator1989:
I just want to have one more fun season...
Bro...

My god. Haven't enjoyed a UF product since the 08' Ole Miss game and onward. That was the last season it was fun or exciting. That's what...6 years? Ugh.

And with Johnson's injury I just realized we have 5 scholarship o-linemen. How does that happen? All of our true freshmen lineup at a minimum will be backups and a few will start. I'm tempering my expectations.

At least 2 more will be injured at SME point - we'll have walkons on the 2 deep by October.

This team has 0 chance at going .500

Reactions: Nole1313
And with Johnson's injury I just realized we have 5 scholarship o-linemen. How does that happen? All of our true freshmen lineup at a minimum will be backups and a few will start. I'm tempering my expectations.
Let's hope Martez Ivey is as good as advertised and spending every minute he's awake in the weight room.

Pinning our hope on Freshmen OLs *sigh*

5 scholarship OLinemen happens when someone that's clearly in over his head gets first crack at fixing the mess he created because someone fell head over heels and couldn't wait to give him an extension and a huge buyout

Because Muschump recruited JUCO and transfers. Plus throw in the fact that Moore and Humphries left for the draft,

Its odd, I thought for sure it was a good sign when a coach who wants to control the clock took 2 OL in each of his first two classes. I thought that would workout well for sure. Thats why I never mentioned it.

Probably the move that set Florida football back the furthest was retaining CWM post-GaSouthern

Originally posted by Gator Fever:
I think you are right for this upcoming season at minimum.

This year will be ugly like last year, the following year will be ugly but should be better...the year after that we will see a big jump IMO...but we are looking at a good 3 seasons before we are ready to make a run.

Originally posted by GSMBrefugee:
At least Muschamp did take 5 dB's a year
"It's a line of scrimmage league"
sign0098.r191677.gif

I think Georgia Tech does a good job of making the most out of limited recruiting (limited relative to an upper-tier SEC program). They get a bad rep for that triple option, chop block stuff as being gimmicky, but it allows them to punch above their weight with less raw talent.

Originally posted by GatorNation79:
This year will be ugly like last year, the following year will be ugly but should be better...the year after that we will see a big jump IMO...but we are looking at a good 3 seasons before we are ready to make a run.
Year two will need to be a huge improvement from year one. No one is going to expect Atlanta but we best not be talking about a possible six win season again a year from now.

Originally posted by Michi-Gator:

Originally posted by GatorNation79:
Year two will need to be a huge improvement from year one. No one is going to expect Atlanta but we best not be talking about a possible six win season again a year from now.
7 this year 8 maybe 9 the following year but we should look much better... year after 9+ possible should contend/win the east... make a run the year after. That's where we are.

7 this year 8 maybe 9 the following year but we should look much better... year after 9+ possible should contend/win the east... make a run the year after. That's where we are.
For recruiting purposes we need to be trending upward, more in on field execution than wins. The problem with year two will be the loss of VH, Bullard, Morridon, DRob, etc

Our schedule actually lines up pretty nicely this year which will help.

We have 3 cupcakes, plus Vandy. Ole Miss at home, and they have a much more suspect QB situation than we do. Actually, most of the teams we play have QB issues and several have also lost a lot to attrition the last few years (LSU, FSU, UGA, Mizzou).

If we keep the streaks alive against UT and UK (both early enough in the season that we shouldn't have to worry about OL attrition), then we should have 7 wins with any luck. I think Mizzou has lost enough on defense (which has really carried them this far) that we should finally beat them. Throw in a surprise win against a depleted UGA, LSU or FSU, and it's a successful first year.

I think (unless we just have extreme luck for the first time in half a decade) that our top end potential is 8 regular season wins. Lots of luck? Maybe 10.

Bottom end of things? 6 wins.

Avoiding injuries and settling in at QB will be absolutely key though.

Indeed we may, but it's early.

Who thought we would dominate UGA this year?

How about we wait until fall practice to condemn the season

What would Michi & GMSB do to occupy their time?

We may become Tennessee with the way our Oline situation is shaping up.

I'll be excited for the season as always but I'm definitely tempering expectations. When you look at the shape of some of our units its just almost criminal. I still don't think some people grasp the severity of it. Like having 4 scholarship linebackers for example. In your base defense you're playing 3 at one time. We don't even have enough to have a backup unit. Throw in special teams and other areas where they contribute and it's just asking a lot.

I love some of our frontline starters, but I just envision them getting worn down as the season goes on. Same with our o-line. I mean you just don't avoid injuries at that position, it's too physical. Our entire backup unit at the spring game was made up of walk-ons. Now granted once some of the freshmen get here they'll form the backup unit, but it's still asking a lot for them to contribute much less be good at that position as true freshmen. We're just in a world of hurt at some of the most important positions on the team. How could someone let it get this bad?

I'll be excited for the season as always but I'm definitely tempering expectations. When you look at the shape of some of our units its just almost criminal. I still don't think some people grasp the severity of it. Like having 4 scholarship linebackers for example. In your base defense you're playing 3 at one time. We don't even have enough to have a backup unit. Throw in special teams and other areas where they contribute and it's just asking a lot.

I love some of our frontline starters, but I just envision them getting worn down as the season goes on. Same with our o-line. I mean you just don't avoid injuries at that position, it's too physical. Our entire backup unit at the spring game was made up of walk-ons. Now granted once some of the freshmen get here they'll form the backup unit, but it's still asking a lot for them to contribute much less be good at that position as true freshmen. We're just in a world of hurt at some of the most important positions on the team. How could someone let it get this bad?
"...don't let that new guy tell you he ain't got any players"

You've been listening to the 'new guy' again, haven't you?

We are fine at LBer. We are in big big trouble on the oline. We aren't going to play much base defense. Not many teams do anymore.

Reasonable folks saw this coming back in 2013 when doofus wasn't canned. Thank God for south Carolinas special teams, or he'd still be here. So would driskel.

Originally posted by PacoGator19:
We are fine at LBer. We are in big big trouble on the oline. We aren't going to play much base defense. Not many teams do anymore.
I disagree. Mainly because most of the teams we play are still very traditional offenses. UGA, S. Carolina, LSU, FSU, for example. So we'll need the ability to stop the run. Even if we played nickel an entire game that's still enough to basically have 1 unit of subs. And that's only accounting for defense. That doesn't account for all the special teams units that you typically use a ton of linebackers on like kickoff and punt coverage. We are hardly fine at LB. Under Muschamp we played a ton of nickel and dime and even then we played 8 LB's a game on all the different units.

Originally posted by PacoGator19:
I disagree. Mainly because most of the teams we play are still very traditional offenses. UGA, S. Carolina, LSU, FSU, for example. So we'll need the ability to stop the run. Even if we played nickel an entire game that's still enough to basically have 1 unit of subs. And that's only accounting for defense. That doesn't account for all the special teams units that you typically use a ton of linebackers on like kickoff and punt coverage. We are hardly fine at LB. Under Muschamp we played a ton of nickel and dime and even then we played 8 LB's a game on all the different units.
Add injuries to that, which are bound to happen, and we will have to turn to the one lone freshman LB. May have to convert one of the bigger safeties or smaller DEs.

He's one that has to get healthy and help out the team, he could be good.

Originally posted by 46885:
He's one that has to get healthy and help out the team, he could be good.
I never really focused on the defenders that much while watching the game but he did seem pretty active out there. I think I remember seeing him in on more tackles than Anzalone.

The OL is going to be a big problem but it's nice to have a staff that knows what it's doing with the offense, I mean there are ways to get around it some with play calls and types of plays, it's not like being thin on the DL up front where there is nothing you can do for it. I liked a few of the play designs just in the spring game, I saw good formations and actual spacing by our WR's.. Some of the route combos were really good to to open up windows and confuse the defense. When Lewis ran that corner route in the red zone for a TD danny and Doering were like amazed... and being sarcastic while saying "a corner route? How long has it been since we've seen that?"

Another thing I noticed that is something that finally has to be fixed and should be as easy as they made it look, no nonsense penalties getting lined up and they got plays off in time the whole game no matter who was at QB. The Qb's took control very well like Mac said

Originally posted by GatorGray:

What would Michi & GMSB do to occupy their time?
You do realize you are posting this in the midst of a thread discussing issues I pointed out 4 years ago, right?

Those screens are going to be needed to the WR's a lot, so they better learn how to block.

LG Antonio Riles: Riles did slightly better than his counterparts at left guard and right tackle, but he had a rough go of it still. The defensive line was routinely able to create pressure from his side.

RG[/B] Travaris Dorsey: For most of the afternoon, Dorsey struggled. The fact that walk-on Dakota Wilson made as many plays as he did, along with fellow walk-on Matthew Fuchs is more than a little concerning for the Gators.

RT[/B] Kavaris Harkless: Harkless was destroyed throughout the afternoon by Reed. The rate at which he was giving up pressures on the right side made it very clear he's not ready to be a starter at the SEC level yet.

This post was edited on 4/13 9:43 PM by Gator Fever

Reactions: Nole1313
I didn't focus on them individually during the game but it sounds like some of the starting O linemen were really getting abused even with the vanilla defense. Walk-ons were holding their ground against some of the starters on many plays it appears.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT