ADVERTISEMENT

nole fans were correct: fsu handled Winston case perfectly

Of course it is but they are not going to arrest her at this point for making false statements, although they know she did. She has a lot of explaining to do regarding her multiple statements and versions of events. Her appearance on the Hunting Ground was a PR disaster for FSU and Winston but it's going to end up costing her. She made many false and contradictory statements that she will have to answer to.
Cost her....what? Her lawyers are all working on contingency. They fail, they don't get paid.

I do not know if she has a credible civil suit against Winston. I suspect she does not, given that the DA declined to prosecute and the hearings on the code of conduct concluded neither party was credible. Yet civil suits have concluded with sizable settlements for the accuser, even when there was not criminal arrest or conviction.

Cost her....what? Her lawyers are all working on contingency. They fail, they don't get paid.

I do not know if she has a credible civil suit against Winston. I suspect she does not, given that the DA declined to prosecute and the hearings on the code of conduct concluded neither party was credible. Yet civil suits have concluded with sizable settlements for the accuser, even when there was not criminal arrest or conviction.

Yes, costing her. Don't forget Winston filed a counter claim against her.

Reactions: Nolebra Kai
It's not about liking a person, it's that the continued vitriol over here that continues despite the reasons for the hate being based on behavior that was exhibited years ago and hasn't resurfaced.

I would hope we would want these young men to mature and become positive members of society.

As Ghost posted on here a while back, we need more David Nelson's and less Ray Rices. Personally, I'd like Winston to emulate the former.

His behavior has been fine...so far, because he's not in that enabling environment he was in at FSU and maybe a little bit of maturity added in.

Yes, costing her. Don't forget Winston filed a counter claim against her.

Which is going to go exactly NOWHERE.

Every time you write something about legal matters of any kind you look more and more stupid.

Libel, slander, defamation are very hard torts to prove. Very hard.

In most cases even where it is proved, the only damages awarded are statutory damages because there are no measurable damages.

You guys are utter morons to get excited about his counterclaim. It makes you look like what you are: homers for a football team who don't give a damn about anything but your team winning.

There was nothing sudden about this. Erica Kinsman was scheduled to be deposed tomorrow by FSU's lawyers. Then all of a sudden they decide to accept this settlement that was extended a while ago. They didn't have to take it. They could have rejected it and went to trial and got millions. Why didn't they?? FSU was able to settle this and not admit any wrongdoing at the same time. They are very happy Kinsman took this settlement. Erica got her $250K and her lawyers got $700k. There's only one loser here and it's not FSU or the attorneys.

I can attest that FSU was equally happy that this was resolved. I find it unfortunate, the actions of the President's office to misrepresent the truth in the settlement, however. There was an opportunity here to take the high road. The optics are not good.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport.../?hootPostID=ddf4c2392000b876242086c56bd2c8e3

Which is going to go exactly NOWHERE.

Every time you write something about legal matters of any kind you look more and more stupid.

Libel, slander, defamation are very hard torts to prove. Very hard.

In most cases even where it is proved, the only damages awarded are statutory damages because there are no measurable damages.

You guys are utter morons to get excited about his counterclaim. It makes you look like what you are: homers for a football team who don't give a damn about anything but your team winning.

Dude you embarrassed yourself every single day during the Winston saga with your bs inside sources. When you were made to look like a fool you decided to disappear for a while. And now you of all people have the nerve to say someone looks stupid?? Typical. No one is excited about Winston's counterclaim, although I'm sure they can't wait to question this accuser in her suit, under oath and get her to lie.

Dude you embarrassed yourself every single day during the Winston saga with your bs inside sources. When you were made to look like a fool you decided to disappear for a while. And now you of all people have the nerve to say someone looks stupid?? Typical. No one is excited about Winston's counterclaim, although I'm sure they can't wait to question this accuser in her suit, under oath and get her to lie.

This is the sort of stupidity only you are capable of committing.

That behavior would get a lawyer disciplined by the bar. You think any lawyer out there is going to do that? Put his license in jeopardy because it gives Danoleman and his fellow morons stiff pricks?

This is the sort of stupidity only you are capable of committing.

That behavior would get a lawyer disciplined by the bar. You think any lawyer out there is going to do that? Put his license in jeopardy because it gives Danoleman and his fellow morons stiff pricks?

So you don't think his lawyers are going to try catch her in a lie??

Im certainly no lawyer but as for embarrassment we all know fsu is the school who feels the most from this garbage. And for the man /woman on the street they see almost a million for fsu to make it go away and think "yeah, he was innocent of all of it." Its almost like watching that George guy after getting off for killing a kid that night and claiming self defense. I didnt rape the girl. I didnt take the crab legs. I didnt stand up in a public place and say #@&$^# her in the ##(#(. I didnt go on a BB gun run on campus. Walks like a duck, quacks like a duck looks like a duck...........probably is.............

Last edited:
Reactions: hooking
Are Nole fans going to keep dodging this?

In announcing its settlement with Erica Kinsman, a former student who alleged quarterback Jameis Winston raped her in 2012, Florida State gave a breakdown of the total financial amount.

Of the $950,000 sum, $250,000 would go to Kinsman and $700,000 to her attorneys. But that’s in dispute.

According to Kinsman’s attorneys, that breakdown represents public relations spin.

“If they’re saying, and I think they are, that the lawyers are going to get $700,000, that’s simply false,” said Baine Kerr, who represents Kinsman.

According to the settlement agreement, that breakdown of the $950,000 sum is based upon FSU’s assessment of what the amount represents.

The next line in the agreement states, “The Parties understand and agree that the foregoing representation does not necessarily reflect the actual allocation between Kinsman and her counsel.”

The agreement goes onto state that nothing should be construed as “allocation or in any way controlling in determining actual amounts due and payable” to Kinsman or her attorneys.

“Such matters shall be controlled exclusively by separate agreements between Kinsman and her counsel,” it states.

Kerr and John Clune, who also represents Kinsman, said that kind of language is not common in the agreements they’ve made in other Title IX cases. They declined to provide an exact amount, but Kerr said FSU's representation is "massively overstated."

“The lawyers are not taking anywhere close to $700,000, and FSU knows that," said Clune. "Just more of the same PR effort from FSU, unfortunately.”

Florida State spokeswoman Browning Brooks told USA TODAY Sports, "This is a non-issue."

Daniel Wallach, a Florida-based attorney, said it’s not unusual for settlements to include language that a lump-sum amount includes attorney’s fees. Saying more is allocated to attorney’s fees than damages can help further a narrative that a defendant is settling a lawsuit to avoid additional litigation expenses, he said.

“To settle on those terms makes it sound as if they didn’t concede anything, but the bottom line number speaks for itself no matter how you label it or how you spin it,” said Wallach. “If you base most of that payment around the concept of reimbursing attorney’s fees, even though it is more form over substance, it can better support their PR spin.”

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Any Nolies want to address that?

Or are you going to keep spinning?

You don't have to answer. We already know what it is.

So you don't think his lawyers are going to try catch her in a lie??

So you don't know what a deposition is?

Come on, you can admit it. You can admit that you don't know what the purpose of a deposition is. It's okay.

A deposition, you nitwit, is not a trial. You don't try to catch people in lies during depositions.

Why?

Because you'd have to tip your hand to do it.

It's not about liking a person, it's that the continued vitriol over here that continues despite the reasons for the hate being based on behavior that was exhibited years ago and hasn't resurfaced.

I would hope we would want these young men to mature and become positive members of society.

As Ghost posted on here a while back, we need more David Nelson's and less Ray Rices. Personally, I'd like Winston to emulate the former.

duhnoleman seems to take it very personal that I do not share his view point, so much so that he lies about what I say, that was the point of my post

duhnoleman seems to take it very personal that I do not share his view point, so much so that he lies about what I say, that was the point of my post

You know, you really are the first Internet stalker I've had. You really creep me out.

So you don't know what a deposition is?

Come on, you can admit it. You can admit that you don't know what the purpose of a deposition is. It's okay.

A deposition, you nitwit, is not a trial. You don't try to catch people in lies during depositions.

Why?

Because you'd have to tip your hand to do it.

I've never been on trial criminally or sued so I don't know what the hell they do in a deposition. But whatever point they get to question her, if it's in the trial, then that's what I'm talking about.

This was FSU's gift to Jimbo for not leaving for LSU. There's a reason why they are fighting tooth and nail to keep his un-redacted deposition out of the public eye. They don't want him, Monkey Bones or anyone else employed by FSU Athletic Department on the stand under any circumstance.

Now, you can be assured what the DOE will conclude in their investigation, and then the NCAA will follow suit and rubber stamp FSU's demise. Enjoy 2016, its probably FSU's last season for a while.

This was FSU's gift to Jimbo for not leaving for LSU. There's a reason why they are fighting tooth and nail to keep his un-redacted deposition out of the public eye. They don't want him, Monkey Bones or anyone else employed by FSU Athletic Department on the stand under any circumstance.

Now, you can be assured what the DOE will conclude in their investigation, and then the NCAA will follow suit and rubber stamp FSU's demise. Enjoy 2016, its probably FSU's last season for a while.

LOL

I've never been on trial criminally or sued so I don't know what the hell they do in a deposition. But whatever point they get to question her, if it's in the trial, then that's what I'm talking about.
He's clearly on a mission danoleman....

Reactions: danoleman
Dnole wants to act like this is a Walmart slip n fall type frivolous case...one in which a company will say it's better to pay out $10k than spend $20k on the case's attorney fees. Unfortunately they paid out $950k - that's apples and oranges.

He's clearly on a mission danoleman....

They're called "Discovery depositions" for a reason. The point of them is to learn things from the witness you don't know. They're not for the purpose of having a minitrial. If you use a deposition for that reason then you're being an incompetent lawyer.

I will acknowledge that you have been consistent in your stance on Winston. You don't like him personally, but hope he performs well for our team. Which, btw, he just got a Pro Bowl Invite. ;)

Says the idiot who comes to my home board and lies about what I say....but you won't even get that will you.
I could only imagine what danoleman thinks about Bill Cosby and his 30 plus rape victims also. Danoleman, well?

I could only imagine what danoleman thinks about Bill Cosby and his 30 plus rape victims also. Danoleman, well?

Show me where Jameis testified that he actually drugged women like Bill Cosby did. If you think Jameis is guilty, all you have to do is tell me which one of her versions convinced you.

Right on cue.

I ask this all the time. All you guys do is scream Winston is a rapist but you never can say why you believe that. Just give me one reason other than the fact he is a Nole. I'm talking from a factual/evidence standpoint. That's really not difficult to ask of you.

Just because anyone with reading comprehension can determine that EK lied on several occasions (or at least told different versions to different entities at different times) about the night in question doesn't mean that:

A. TPD handled the case properly
B. FSU handled the case properly

Hence, why the EK camp is able to continue pursuing the issue...FSU's position is all the way in one direction and the EK camp is in the other...somewhere in the middle lies the truth.

Very similar to Judge Harding's stance on the night in question, "I do not find the credibility of one story substantially stronger than that of the other. Both have their own strengths and weaknesses. I cannot find with any confidence that the events as set forth by you, (accuser), or a particular combination thereof is more probable than not as required to find you responsible for a violation of the Code." Somewhere between the two stories lies the truth of the night.

My contention is that Mr. Winston was neither a gentleman nor a rapist on the night in question in the same manner that I believe Ms. Kinsman was neither a lady nor a victim.

Virtually everyone is misunderstanding the reason for the settlement. Whether or not the accusation was true is completely irrelevant.

The problem for FSU is that someone in the athletic department was apparently aware that TPD received a complaint about Jameis and failed to inform the general FSU administration. As a result, no investigation was done until much later.

That is the reason for the settlement. And, there is no question that FSU erred on this issue.

Reactions: danoleman
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT