ADVERTISEMENT

Misdemeanor Trial is Monday...what happens with Dalvin Cook?

What happens with Dalvin Cook?

• Found guilty of misdemeanor and suspended from play

Votes: 3 7.5%
  • Acquitted and plays first game

Votes: 22 55.0%
  • Acquitted and doesn't play first game

Votes: 7 17.5%
  • Plea deal and doesn't play first game

Votes: 2 5.0%
  • Plea deal and plays first game

Votes: 6 15.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Alaskan are you legit watching this trial? LMAO

Meh...staff writer is posting a play-by-play and I hit refresh ever so often. It's socially interesting to me how many folks are tuned into a 19-year old's misdemeanor trial. They are tuned in for his results, I'm tuned in to watch the comments section.

Between you and me, oozie, I could personally care less. If he's guilty, bye. If he's not, let him play. No real gray area for me. To be honest, in my 42 years, the Winston case is the only one that really interested me on many levels.

Reactions: JaxNole82
Meh...staff writer is posting a play-by-play and I hit refresh ever so often. It's socially interesting to me how many folks are tuned into a 19-year old's misdemeanor trial. They are tuned in for his results, I'm tuned in to watch the comments section.

Between you and me, oozie, I could personally care less. If he's guilty, bye. If he's not, let him play. No real gray area for me. To be honest, in my 42 years, the Winston case is the only one that really interested me on many levels.

Good point.. I think given the polarity of the program as of late, people are forgetful that this is a misdemeanor case.. it's interesting to see it on so many message board threads including those who say they care so little about the Noles. But I digress, I agree 100% with your sentiment

Good point.. I think given the polarity of the program as of late, people are forgetful that this is a misdemeanor case.. it's interesting to see it on so many message board threads including those who say they care so little about the Noles. But I digress, I agree 100% with your sentiment
I think if Cook had punched another man, few would care. We are all susceptible to losing our cool. Many good, generally law-abiding, productive guys of society are capable of and have punched another guy as a result. It doesn't necessarily reveal a character flaw or a person society should be concerned about.

But the guy who is willing to punch a woman...knowing it's almost never necessary, knowing the damage he could cause...That's a different guy. That's a guy who society should be much more concerned about and treated as such.

And here we're not even dealing with a situation where the girl provoked or put her hands on Cook before he (allegedly) punched her. So, if true, he's worse.

That's why this "misdemeanor" is a bigger deal. You can use the word "misdemeanor" in your effort to reduce it's punch, to liken it to Possession of Marijuana or Driving While License Suspended...but that's a very self-serving and narrow way of looking at it.

Reactions: MJWilliamson
Two words win this case for Cook: Leon County

I find it highly unlikely that the ASA was able to identify and keep all fsu zealots off the jury....

Jury nullification in 6-8 hours.

Bay, as I said before, I doubt they even tried, I don't think they even wanted to prosecute this case, they were kind of hoping it would just go away

I think if Cook had punched another man, few would care. We are all susceptible to losing our cool. Many good, generally law-abiding, productive guys of society are capable of and have punched another guy as a result. It doesn't necessarily reveal a character flaw or a person society should be concerned about.

But the guy who is willing to punch a woman...knowing it's almost never necessary, knowing the damage he could cause...That's a different guy. That's a guy who society should be much more concerned about and treated as such.

And here we're not even dealing with a situation where the girl provoked or put her hands on Cook before he (allegedly) punched her. So, if true, he's worse.

That's why this "misdemeanor" is a bigger deal. You can use the word "misdemeanor" in your effort to reduce it's punch, to liken it to Possession of Marijuana or Driving While License Suspended...but that's a very self-serving and narrow way of looking at it.

No argument here.

FWIW, my use of misdemeanor wasn't to diminish the act, but to highlight the level of interest which is 99% related to its impact on the field. If this were an FSU MBA major, no one would give two flying farts.

Bay, you should be disgusted with your profession if the process is as tainted as you indicate.

Bay, you should be disgusted with your profession if the process is as tainted as you indicate.

That's very dramatic of you. But, you didn't say a whole lot and I've said a lot so I'm having trouble responding. What is the "process" and how is it "tainted"?

SO, how is the trial of the century going & which photo is fsu going to send out tomorrow?

900x506

"Two words win this case for Cook: Leon County"

"I find it highly unlikely that the ASA was able to identify and keep all fsu zealots off the jury...."

Both comments indicate you have little faith in the legal system which you are a part of by profession. I was pointing out that must disgust you.

"Two words win this case for Cook: Leon County"

"I find it highly unlikely that the ASA was able to identify and keep all fsu zealots off the jury...."

Both comments indicate you have little faith in the legal system which you are a part of by profession. I was pointing out that must disgust you.
No. That's just reality.

We have a good system, not a perfect system. Those are some of the imperfections and they are imperfections that cannot be resolved.

A potential juror's bias, motive, predisposition, life experiences, etc cannot be changed. They can only be uncovered and you can't uncover them if he or she does not want you to. It's not unique to the Cook case. The potential problem is just more real in the Cook case for obvious reasons.

So, Bay, would you prefer an outcome where the case just dissolves and never goes to trial thus saving what I assume to be thousands of dollars or would you rather the dog and pony show continue all the while being fairly certain of the outcome before it starts? I don't disagree with your assessment, btw, but I think it is more than imperfect. Someone on the team more than likely assualted this girl yet the chances of any criminal punishment coming from it seems minimal. If he is acquitted nobody will believe it. If the case never took place all would assume guilt.

So, Bay, would you prefer an outcome where the case just dissolves and never goes to trial thus saving what I assume to be thousands of dollars or would you rather the dog and pony show continue all the while being fairly certain of the outcome before it starts? I don't disagree with your assessment, btw, but I think it is more than imperfect. Someone on the team more than likely assualted this girl yet the chances of any criminal punishment coming from it seems minimal. If he is acquitted nobody will believe it. If the case never took place all would assume guilt.
As long as the ASA has a good faith belief in the Defendant's guilt and has sufficient evidence to support a conviction, you go forward. Some cases are stronger than others. You don't drop a case, pre-filing or post-filing just because the defense has an argument. That's weak and that's why we have juries.

As for this case, many in the FSU camp have and continue to call this a "dog and pony show", a "circus," etc. I don't know what has come out at trial. I do know that the criteria I listed above appears satisfied in the PC affidavit which I have read and used as the basis for my position in all of the Dalvin Cook posts.

I referred to it as that based off of the "2 words Leon County" and "attempts to keep FSU zealots off the jury". I don't know what has happened today other than the electric chair has not been turned on as far as I can tell.

All the witnesses have testified and it's definitely he said/she said case as neither side's story is remotely close to the others. Heck, Cook's side states that Travis Rudolph was hit in the back of the head...which leads me to wonder if it was, in fact, Rudolph did the swinging in the first place.

There isn't any part of this that adds up. I expect this to go away... soon. It reads like a High School scuffle where no one's story really checks out.

All the witnesses have testified and it's definitely he said/she said case as neither side's story is remotely close to the others. Heck, Cook's side states that Travis Rudolph was hit in the back of the head...which leads me to wonder if it was, in fact, Rudolph did the swinging in the first place.
Really? Travis Rudolph doesn't have dreads.

To those following, what did the aspiring security guard say on the stand?
At one point the defense asked if it appeared as though the damage looked like that of someone hit in the face.. he responded " it did not appear as though she was hit in the face", the prosecution showed the photo taken on scene and reasked the same question. The officer then said it did. This is a microcosm of this entire case. Not even the cops can keep it all straight.

Police also said the during a patrol of the area close to the time of the altercation nothing appeared out of the ordinary. No sign of a impending fight.. just average late night traffic.

Police also said the during a patrol of the area close to the time of the altercation nothing appeared out of the ordinary. No sign of a impending fight.. just average late night traffic.

This is only significant if the defense is that nothing happened, no large gathering, no verbal altercation, no physical altercation....
Doesn't the defense acknowledge that an altercation took place and even turned physical?

The state rests. 5-minute recess.

When the recess ends, the defense says they will call one witness. Assuming that's going to be the person who will contradict the accuser's statement on 911 call.

Defense's "big witness" is now on the stand.

Grant Jenkins, a finance major at FSU is the lone defense witness. He's a senior, 22. Apparently, he was there that night but that he doesn't know any of the players, or the women involved. Never met any of them. He was sitting outside and saw the whole thing.

TBH, it doesn't look good for the defense, IMO.

No clue how you can even say that as a Gator if you're actually reading the evidence tweets.

1) Cop admits she didn't look like accuser said she had been hit.

2) Accuser says Cook punched her multiple times in the face...has at worst a split lip. Even without a medical expert, common sense would say her story is not even remotely plausible.

3) Only eyewitness who supports her version admits she was completely wasted while accuser was only "regular" wasted.

4) Accuser couldn't identify anyone even with photos except the man she admits she hit first.

I could go on and on, but this is a homerun for the defense. The state looks pretty stupid for even bringing the case and it shouldn't have survived summary judgment.

The only thing consistent between the two "sides" is that Cook was identified by both as the peacekeeper. ...well, up until he allegedly changed his mind and punched her (which an independent witness said never happened. In fact, he claims the only person he saw hit was Travis Rudolph from behind).

Man, how do juries sort through this crap? LOL

Oh ok. I thought you were honestly saying that the state's evidence looks good. As a former alj and of course current attorney I would be absolutely shocked if the judge found for the state with what's been presented. Now trials are a weird thing and I've won a LOT of cases I thought I should have lost and I lost at least two that I thought I should have won. So NO ONE can ever say when you're talking about random people's opinion being the final decider that any case is a 100% done deal. But this is as close to a sure loss for the state as any case I've seen.

The one thing I can say is that the state screwed up HARD by repeatedly referencing evidence already thrown out by the judge which means even if through some Gator miracle the ruling went against Cook it would probably be tossed by an appellate court.

On the positive side, just like the plot to the movie Unbreakable maybe we have found a new superheroine.

"You're saying you were hit multiple times by a 215-pound football player and the only damage you had was to your lip?"

"Yes"

"Let me get this straight, Dalvin Cook came after you and hit you multiple times and you were able to say 'hit me again'?"

"Yes"

Lol, SURE. That sounds within the bounds of reason. The defense should just show the Pasco County stripper fight currently going around Facebook and show what a 90 lb meth addict Chica can do to a face with multiple hits let alone a ripped football player.

Sounds like a clear-cut case...Five years in the electric chair.

But since it is Tally, the jury will acquit him and then retire to the courthouse lawn and commence the fsu cheer.

Either way, Jimbo should kick him off the team since he obviously skipped off-season workouts (based on tribe's summary above).

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT