ADVERTISEMENT

Michi should not read this until intoxicated

When Will Muschamp was the head coach of the Florida Gators’ football team, the identity of the team was clearly defense.

The Gators attacked everything with a rough, tough attitude with little to no finesse.

But arguably the biggest knock on Muschamp — other than the whole losing games issue — was that he didn’t trust his offensive coordinators to call plays.

Muschamp’s teams embraced the old mantra of, “It’s not what you do but how well you do it,” as the Gators continuously loaded up to run the ball despite the fact the defenses stacked the box to stop the run.

When the offensive coordinator was Charlie Weis, the Gators ran the ball. When it was Brent Pease, they ran the ball. And when Kurt Roper took over, they still went to the ground game.

Now Jim McElwain is in the driver’s seat, though, and he seems completely willing to let new offensive coordinator Doug Nussmeier call the shots on the offensive end.

All the time Danny used to talk me into thinking Mac was going to be the guy and now this? Like I said before, no CSU offense, between the tackles and short passes to the TE:(

probably would have worked out better if we hired Nuss as the Head man and let Mcelwain be the coordinator

I say we give Mcelwain one more year to prove himself, to make sure that 2012 wasn't just a lucky fluk.......

wait.......

Reactions: MJWilliamson
It's kind of tricky for McElwain, because, with an inexperienced qb, shaky offensive line and solid defense, running the ball and playing defense next year probably gives him the best chance to win games. But fans will freak out, particularly if we stumble early.

I think eventually, we will have something like the CSU offense, but it may take him a year or two to get the players.

Well you can't really run the ball with a poor o-line so yea...

His best bet may be to put Grier or Harris in the gun, spread the field to take more people out of the box and make it harder for defenses to blitz, and feast on a short passing game to account for the lack of a run game. I don't see any other way. We aren't gonna be able to sit in 21 or 12 personnel and beat people up, the line just ain't good enough.

Point taken. I still think if I'm trying to win games, I'd rather have my back getting tackled behind the line than have linebackers crashing into my quarterback. If they can coach up either of these quarterbacks to make a bunch of quick throws, I'll be impressed.

I mean what is he suppose to say? His OC isn't going to call plays....lol Any good coach will have his hands on every part of the team...especially the side of the ball that they are from and have coached for years. Here's the truth...this year isn't going to be pretty...but I hope to see things looking better...if we do that and win 8 games I'll be happy. I expect and hope that see a little be of a different team each year for the next 3 seasons...that would tell me that we are working with the personnel that we have...as we get more depth and personnel that Coach Mac wants then we will be where we need to be if he's the right guy but I'm not putting too much into what I see this year on offense because our OLine is going to be garbage. We are going to get pushed around.

No matter what happens this year, it will be hard to be worse than what has been seen. I mean, lets be serious here, the offense and QB's, especially WR's will be coached up for once, the defense will drop off but that's expected. In some way it will even out because the offense will have direction and a purpose for what it is doing.. Mcelwain is not a fool, he's made good things happen everywhere without the highest level of talent or greatest QB play, we will struggle mainly because of the OL but we have good backs and need something to emerge from the TE and WR spot along with QB play. Even though this year will be tough in many spots and ways growing from what we lost and a new staff, it WILL show direction and have a plan to compete as best as possible... We have a very very good staff, you will know a bit about our staff by the way we find ways to compete this year as best we can, I don't think you will just see us lost out there on offense, defense or special teams. We might get beat by teams bye being being out talented and out depthed but I don't think it will be for the reasons of being out done like we have seen the last few years, especially on offense. Even winning 8 games we can show what we will have for the future leading us competing in games and giving teams hell with as much as we can fire at them. I actually believe in this staff and think we will have a great offense again in a few years from what I have heard from the things players have told people I know that have talked to them. Our players have bought in and I've heard a LOT of disturbing things about what was going on with the previous staff especially in the last year.

It's kind of tricky for McElwain, because, with an inexperienced qb, shaky offensive line and solid defense, running the ball and playing defense next year probably gives him the best chance to win games. But fans will freak out, particularly if we stumble early.

I think eventually, we will have something like the CSU offense, but it may take him a year or two to get the players.

That seems like a realistic strategy. The catch-22 for Mac, though, is he is trying to desperately bring in playmakers on offense. If they see a lot of the same with the passing game being an after thought or an attempt in futility then what happens with the all important class of '16?

Personally, I think he needs to somewhat force a passing game. Even if it is a ton of bubbles, swings, hitches, etc. He needs to show the offense is at least trying to be dynamic, but they need a few key recruits to come on board to really make it happen. Again, I think if he goes the other route, which I agree with your scenario....then he is probably not going to impress the offensive players he needs for the future and it could be a longer rebuilding process. Will UF fans be patient enough?

That seems like a realistic strategy. The catch-22 for Mac, though, is he is trying to desperately bring in playmakers on offense. If they see a lot of the same with the passing game being an after thought or an attempt in futility then what happens with the all important class of '16?

Personally, I think he needs to somewhat force a passing game. Even if it is a ton of bubbles, swings, hitches, etc. He needs to show the offense is at least trying to be dynamic, but they need a few key recruits to come on board to really make it happen. Again, I think if he goes the other route, which I agree with your scenario....then he is probably not going to impress the offensive players he needs for the future and it could be a longer rebuilding process. Will UF fans be patient enough?

That's a good point and that's actually my fear as well. The bottom line is we don't have the pieces to be anything but mediocre on offense this year. 6 scholarship linemen (we'll have more when the freshmen come but just speaking about what we have now) who have never started a game, either a redshirt freshman QB with no experience or a sophomore with only a few games under his belt, both in new systems, limited targets on the outside, etc. That all spells mediocre...at best.

But the problem is we need talent to turn it around and the way to do that is to showcase an exciting offense for recruits. But we just don't have the pieces to showcase an offense like that. So to recruits we're gonna be the same ol UF with the dreadful offense they don't want to play in. It's a nasty cycle. No talent which leads to poor offense which leads to more poor talent and on and on.

Not screwed, McElwain is just gonna have to be a hell of a salesman.

In your scenario, absolutely. I am sure he can paint some pretty pictures, but will they get sold at the auction? Some pretty games on offense can show the potential.

Its wonderful that Mac built a decent program at Colorado State, but that success is far from convincing that he can actually do it in the SEC.
To me he's still another unproven coach that Foley took a chance on, the same way he took a chance on Zook and Muschamp

Last edited:
Its wonderful that Mac built a decent program at Colorado State, but that success is far from convincing that he can actually do it in the SEC.
To me he's still another unproven coach that Foley took a chance on, the same way he took a chance on Zook and Muschamp

I think he is a safer pick having success already as a head football coach and with a good offense there. Hopefully him being an offensive coach will mitigate Nuss's tendencies. It will be the opposite of Muschamp with McElwain actually helping in that regard.

I think he is a safer pick having success already as a head football coach and with a good offense there. Hopefully him being an offensive coach will mitigate Nuss's tendencies. It will be the opposite of Muschamp with McElwain actually helping in that regard.

On the surface, it is definitely safer if you are referring to hiring an OC/DC without HC experience. The transition from a smaller program to the big time, though, is still a tough go. There are plenty of examples of failure with either route.

With time to digest...What is your take on this hire and the next 2-3 years of UF football?

I am certainly not 100% sold on Coach Mac. I worry thathe will not bring the offense that makes the best use of the athletes available in the state of Florida. BUT he certainly is not Champ. His presser should have told you that. In fact, his recruiting was so much better, he had plan Bs to fill every spot of need. Muschamp was going power run and took 2 OL. Champ had no back up plans when he missed. Night and day.

I agree with this. A good coach can cover up OL problems with a short passing game much better than with a power running game

At the Gator Gathering in Jax last month, one attendee asked Mac during the Q&A, 'Coach, will you promise us you won't run the ball 25 times in a row?' Mac's answer was (after telling the man it was a stupid question-yes, he did-but it was with a wink and meant to be for a laugh-sort of) 'I'll promise you this...if we're getting 10 yards a carry, you can jump on me if we don't run it 25 times in a row'
What's my point? With rare exception, every coach (every good one anyway) mixes up the run and pass and usually tends toward more of one or the other based on what you do best and where the defense might be vulnerable. With no OL to speak of, we probably won't do much of anything well next year.

http://hailfloridahail.com/2015/07/...resting-things-to-know-about-the-gators-oc/5/

Nick Saban once begged Nussmeier to call more passing plays
ugh.gif
ugh.gif

"Many questioned why Nussmeier decided to leave Alabama for Michigan University in 2014, especially since the Crimson Tide reached record offensive success during his time there.
  • Alabama had a record of 13-1 and won both the SEC and National Championships during Nussmeier’s first year there.
    He helped coached A.J. McCarron to 30 touchdown passes with only three interceptions and featured an offense built around Eddie Lacy and T.J. Yeldon, who combined for 2,400 rushing yards and 29 touchdowns.
    But for some reason this irked head coach Nick Saban enough for him to say that he once begged Nussmeier (and other past OCs) to throw the ball more often.
    Apparently Saban reasoned that with the athletes that Alabama possesses every year, they should be one of the annual top passing offenses.
    This difference in coaching philosophy is believed to be why Nussmeier left for the Michigan position, ultimately making his way to Gainesville."

http://hailfloridahail.com/2015/07/...resting-things-to-know-about-the-gators-oc/5/

Nick Saban once begged Nussmeier to call more passing plays
ugh.gif
ugh.gif

"Many questioned why Nussmeier decided to leave Alabama for Michigan University in 2014, especially since the Crimson Tide reached record offensive success during his time there.
  • Alabama had a record of 13-1 and won both the SEC and National Championships during Nussmeier’s first year there.
    He helped coached A.J. McCarron to 30 touchdown passes with only three interceptions and featured an offense built around Eddie Lacy and T.J. Yeldon, who combined for 2,400 rushing yards and 29 touchdowns.
    But for some reason this irked head coach Nick Saban enough for him to say that he once begged Nussmeier (and other past OCs) to throw the ball more often.
    Apparently Saban reasoned that with the athletes that Alabama possesses every year, they should be one of the annual top passing offenses.
    This difference in coaching philosophy is believed to be why Nussmeier left for the Michigan position, ultimately making his way to Gainesville."

Oh, you don't say

lazer.gif

What made me take pause besides what Michigan looked like on offense last season was that good year McCarron had was done basically with wide open passes off play action passes etc. due to that crazy good O line and running game Bama had those couple of years. He could literally do his taxes back there if he wanted to many of those plays also.

What made me take pause besides what Michigan looked like on offense last season was that good year McCarron had was done basically with wide open passes off play action passes etc. due to that crazy good O line and running game Bama had those couple of years. He could literally do his taxes back there if he wanted to many of those plays also.

Michigans offense, especially passing game, regressed significantly last year. The QB had his worst season as a starter.

If not for a monsoon, we would have won 8 games last year. Our D will be good, and if coach Mac can upgrade our offense just a little, I think we can at least win one more game than last year. Nine wins would be a very good first year, agree?

If not for a monsoon, we would have won 8 games last year. Our D will be good, and if coach Mac can upgrade our offense just a little, I think we can at least win one more game than last year. Nine wins would be a very good first year, agree?

9 wins would be awesome. I think it would help recruiting and give Mac some leverage. I am not sure that we can move forward as quickly with 5-7 wins.

Almost as important is fixing the offense and demonstrating to elite WR and recruits that we are a team to play for. This is where Nuss could become an issue.

Also keep in mind one unique feature that Mac will face in year two, the year all the great coaches really show improvement, is a loss of some very key defensive talent.

When the offensive coordinator was Charlie Weis, the Gators ran the ball. When it was Brent Pease, they ran the ball. And when Kurt Roper took over, they still went to the ground game.

I miss Ron Zook's balanced approach.

run pass
2004 50% 50%
2005 54% 46%
2006 54% 46%
2007 57% 43%
2008 62% 38%
2009 60% 40%
2010 57% 43%
2011 59% 41%
2012 65% 35%
2013 61% 39%
2014 61% 39%

are you looking at when it's already over and driskel is completing balls to the other team in desperation??

are you looking at when it's already over and driskel is completing balls to the other team in desperation??

No, I did not go through each game and try to determine when 'garbage time' starts to draw these stats. I'll leave it to someone more interested in Gator football than me to go through that exercise.
I was just genuinely curious how the run/pass breakdown looked over the last 10 or so years.
I guess there wasn't as much complaining about rushing the ball when it was Tebow carrying it more often than the #2 and #3 rusher on the team combined (1/3rd of carries overall).
Which goes back to - it's not what you're doing, but whether or not you're doing it well...

No, I did not go through each game and try to determine when 'garbage time' starts to draw these stats. I'll leave it to someone more interested in Gator football than me to go through that exercise.
I was just genuinely curious how the run/pass breakdown looked over the last 10 or so years.
I guess there wasn't as much complaining about rushing the ball when it was Tebow carrying it more often than the #2 and #3 rusher on the team combined (1/3rd of carries overall).
Which goes back to - it's not what you're doing, but whether or not you're doing it well...

Exactly the way I felt during Jeff Bowden's tenure. I could care less the mix of run/passes as long as the offense was efficient. With Fisher, I have no worries about the efficiency on offense. I just want to see our defensive pass rush improve this season. The offense at FSU is of little concern.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT