ADVERTISEMENT

It's Draft Day. How many Gators get drafted??

PlutoDroid

Rowdy Reptile
Aug 16, 2015
I know some don't care about NFL talk on here , but for those of us that are avid fans of the sport, I would like to know how many Gators are likely to get drafted. To whom would they be good fits, and who would you like to see go where?

Also are we gonna send more guys than FSU or Miami?

I know some don't care about NFL talk on here , but for those of us that are avid fans of the sport, I would like to know how many Gators are likely to get drafted. To whom would they be good fits, and who would you like to see go where?

Also are we gonna send more guys than FSU or Miami?
Hope my Falcons draft another Keanu Neal type if they do take a Gator.

Reactions: nail1988
Taylor Rd. 1
C.G.J. Rd. 2
J. Polite Rd. 2-3
V.Joseph Rd. 3-4

Hopefully a couple more on Day 3.

Surprised Taylor wasn't in the 1st round with all the talk about him earlier. Quite a few people
had him being the 2nd OT taken but 4 were taken in the 1st round I think.

Surprised Taylor wasn't in the 1st round with all the talk about him earlier. Quite a few people
had him being the 2nd OT taken but 4 were taken in the 1st round I think.

They were talking about him being the best tackle prospect in this draft. I guess scouts were concerned with his knee. I can see Arizona taking him at the top of round two, it would be a good value pick. They had a terrible line last year, that being one of the primary reason Rosen looked terrible. It's hard to be a pocket QB when you don't have quick hitters and you have two guys collapsing in on you on 4 man rushes.

Reactions: Gator Fever
They were talking about him being the best tackle prospect in this draft. I guess scouts were concerned with his knee. I can see Arizona taking him at the top of round two, it would be a good value pick. They had a terrible line last year, that being one of the primary reason Rosen looked terrible. It's hard to be a pocket QB when you don't have quick hitters and you have two guys collapsing in on you on 4 man rushes.

I saw a few people acting surprised Williams from Bama went that high but as a true freshman he was handling future high draft pick NFL D linemen.

All those players should have listened to Mullen and came back. Only Taylor should have even entertained it and he’d have made a lot of money if he came back and dominated on the left side. Would have been a 4-year starter capable of playing either tackle spot, automatic top 10 pick.

I can’t imagine Rosen is feeling too good about the Cardinals taking Kyler Murray. I feel bad for him, but the NFL can be pretty ruthless in terms of player expectations and performance.

There is only one trade partner right now and I can't see them giving up anything higher than a 3rd rounder, that being the perpetually hapless Miami Dolphins who are likely looking towards next year when there are far better prospects. Herbert , Fromm and Tua are better than anybody in this year's draft. It might be a better group than last year as well.

Reactions: GADAWGinIraq
I saw a few people acting surprised Williams from Bama went that high but as a true freshman he was handling future high draft pick NFL D linemen.

This year was stacked with defensive line prospects. Williams allowed 1 sack in 850 passing attempts over the last 3 years. He is a football junkie who likely reminds the Bengals of an Andrew Whitorth from whom they drafted a decade ago. Hopefully for their sake he is better than the last Alabama tackle they took in '09 Andre Smith, or more recently the last SEC first round tackle they took in a few years ago.

I'm shocked about the lack of CBs taken this year. Greedy Williams is an ideal press cover man.

Reactions: Gator Fever
All those players should have listened to Mullen and came back. Only Taylor should have even entertained it and he’d have made a lot of money if he came back and dominated on the left side. Would have been a 4-year starter capable of playing either tackle spot, automatic top 10 pick.

I can't blame them if they were told they were likely top 2 round guys. I'm not sure what the drop off is between rounds though. Another year in a real weight training development would have been beneficial. Mullen would have developed a system to make them look better as well. Oh well, I hope whoever drafts them and whenever they go, that they find success.

I can't blame them if they were told they were likely top 2 round guys. I'm not sure what the drop off is between rounds though. Another year in a real weight training development would have been beneficial. Mullen would have developed a system to make them look better as well. Oh well, I hope whoever drafts them and whenever they go, that they find success.

Can’t imagine any of them besides Taylor and Gardner were told that. And maybe Polite before he had a bad offseason. Joseph straight up said he didn’t even wait for his evaluation back. The way they do it now is they give you a top 2 round grade or advise you to go back to school. Usually coaches have a better idea of who might go in the 1st because GM’s and coaches talk to them about a player. The players would rather listen to agents though.

Reactions: PlutoDroid
Hope my Falcons draft another Keanu Neal type if they do take a Gator.
Can’t imagine any of them besides Taylor and Gardner were told that. And maybe Polite before he had a bad offseason. Joseph straight up said he didn’t even wait for his evaluation back. The way they do it now is they give you a top 2 round grade or advise you to go back to school. Usually coaches have a better idea of who might go in the 1st because GM’s and coaches talk to them about a player. The players would rather listen to agents though.

The agents don't always have the players best interests and depending on the number of clients just might see the player as a quick chip in. Then again it would be beneficial to get your guy into the first round where there is more guaranteed money. I was reading the average NFL career lasts somewhere around 3 years. Guys like Dee Millner didn't get his team option picked up and is now out of football. His agent likely knew it was best for him to leave early knowing the buildup of injuries.

The agents don't always have the players best interests and depending on the number of clients just might see the player as a quick chip in. Then again it would be beneficial to get your guy into the first round where there is more guaranteed money. I was reading the average NFL career lasts somewhere around 3 years. Guys like Dee Millner didn't get his team option picked up and is now out of football. His agent likely knew it was best for him to leave early knowing the buildup of injuries.

Depends. Most of the elite prospects sign with a handful of the well known agencies. The big agencies don’t really have the incentive to mislead potential clients for a quick buck because they have some of the top clients in the sport bringing in money already. The other guys though...they just want to get their foot in the door. And to your point because the average career is so short the only way the smaller agents make money is through volume because they’re not signing the guys who will get a 20m singing bonus. Doesn’t really matter to them if a marginal prospect is a 5th round pick or not, the quicker they can get the 3% the better. Then it’s on to the next prospect.

Just turned on the coverage on ESPN, and caught the National Anthem. Pretty impressive turnout in the streets of downtown Nashville,

Yeah it was. The ABC coverage was alot of GMA and Taylor Swift type stuff. They asked her how she felt about all those fans braving the rain in Nashville to await her 12 AM announcement. I was laughing at that, it wasn't like most of them were there for the draft.;)

Yeah it was. The ABC coverage was alot of GMA and Taylor Swift type stuff. They asked her how she felt about all those fans braving the rain in Nashville to await her 12 AM announcement. I was laughing at that, it wasn't like most of them were there for the draft.;)
Switched over to ESPN as soon as I realized what the ABC thing was really about.

Switched over to ESPN as soon as I realized what the ABC thing was really about.

Yeah it's like between picks it was all about Taylor Swift driving around Nashville recollecting her time as a "country" singing sensation. I was shocked we didn't see Miley Cyrus twerking on Roger Goodell. I much preferred the breakdowns of Game tape on ESPN.

The Jags have a great draft going with2 Stud S.E.C. players in Josh Allen and Jawaan Taylor.

Good call on Rosen.

Amazing how fast his stock fell from last year. Arizona is going to be paying 8.6 million dollars over the remainder of his rookie contract. Miami only has to pay 6.4million. Imagine for a moment if they get a top 5 pick next year and draft Tua, Fromm or Herbert.

Edit: Actually Arizona gets Miami's 2020 5th rounder.

Last edited:
Yeah, I was switching between ESPN and ABC and when I saw Robin Roberts from GMA after a commercial break I switched to ESPN and left it there. Later on some guys on the UK board were bitching about Taylor Swift and I knew they had to be watching ABC...:rolleyes:

I'm just shocked they weren't pushing for polio shots in between picks.

Amazing how fast his stock fell from last year. Arizona is going to be paying 8.6 million dollars over the remainder of his rookie contract. Miami only has to pay 6.4million. Imagine for a moment if they get a top 5 pick next year and draft Tua, Fromm or Herbert.

Arizona is dumb as shit. If you're gonna trade a guy you don't basically broadcast to the world you're gonna do it, there's no way you're gonna even close to equal value back. Beyond that, they shouldn't have traded Rosen anyway. With the rookie scale the way it is now it's not costly to have high 1st round picks anymore. They would have paid less for Rosen and Murray combined than a lot of other teams are paying for their starting QB. Keep them both, let them compete, keep the best one and trade the other for more assets. Simple.

Will Grier picked by the Panthers with the 37th pick in the 3rd round.....

I know there is alot of hurt feelings about Grier leaving, but I really like his accuracy and deep ball. I would have liked to see him go to New England.

Arizona is dumb as shit. If you're gonna trade a guy you don't basically broadcast to the world you're gonna do it, there's no way you're gonna even close to equal value back. Beyond that, they shouldn't have traded Rosen anyway. With the rookie scale the way it is now it's not costly to have high 1st round picks anymore. They would have paid less for Rosen and Murray combined than a lot of other teams are paying for their starting QB. Keep them both, let them compete, keep the best one and trade the other for more assets. Simple.

They tried to be cute and it backfired. Unlike Cleveland who owned the 4th pick and likely were trying to bait somebody to get that for assets, the Cardinals had no reason to play this game. They played chicken and got punked. They even had to give up a 5th rounder.

As soon as Kingsbury was hired , they should have auctioned Rosen off and get a better pick. There was no reason to keep this under your hat. They were always going to draft Murray as soon as he declared and put up an impressive combine. Why else would you hire a guy who got fired at Texas Tech? The man couldn't win with Patrick Mahomes or Baker Mayfield as his QB.

Will Grier picked by the Panthers with the 37th pick in the 3rd round.....

His behavior off the field must have something to do with with dropping that far down and acting like a rock star while losing games at WV.

I am nor that sold on Grier myself. That OC he had at WV always got those huge numbers with his QBs in that system and Grier wasn't some clutch player there and lost many games when it came down to the fInal possessions. I think he probably starts eventually but I don't think he will become some real good NFL QB.

His behavior off the field must have something to do with with dropping that far down and acting like a rock star while losing games at WV.

I am nor that sold on Grier myself. That OC he had at WV always got those huge numbers with his QBs in that system and Grier wasn't some clutch player there and lost many games when it came down to the fInal possessions. I think he probably starts eventually but I don't think he will become some real good NFL QB.

I heard very good things about him from people I trust about his future ceiling.

There’s nothing not to like unless you just have an issue with him personally. Excluding Iowa State where they were nearly shutout, West Virginia lost games because their defense couldn’t stop anybody. In the other two regular season losses they scored 41 and 56...that’s on the defense. And he didn’t play in the bowl game. Some called him the best pure passer in the draft, his slight frame and injury history were knocks against him.

Reactions: GwinnettDawg
There’s nothing not to like unless you just have an issue with him personally. Excluding Iowa State where they were nearly shutout, West Virginia lost games because their defense couldn’t stop anybody. In the other two regular season losses they scored 41 and 56...that’s on the defense. And he didn’t play in the bowl game. Some called him the best pure passer in the draft, his slight frame and injury history were knocks against him.

Yep but that OC's QBs always have crazy numbers with that stuff he runs. WV did better the year before Grier with a different OC because they played a little more ball control than they usually do rather than just slinging it all over the field.

Edit: Actually Arizona gets Miami's 2020 5th rounder.
Miami probably got the best QB in the draft. Arizona screwed up, again, imo.

Miami probably got the best QB in the draft. Arizona screwed up, again, imo.

Was anybody looking to draft Murray other than the Cardinals? I'm sure the Jets or the Bucs would have loved to jump up and get Bosa, then you can still get Murray.

Even worse was the Raiders. Three 1st round picks and with your first one you take a guy that would have been available with your last 1st round pick? Just smh.

Was anybody looking to draft Murray other than the Cardinals? I'm sure the Jets or the Bucs would have loved to jump up and get Bosa, then you can still get Murray.

Even worse was the Raiders. Three 1st round picks and with your first one you take a guy that would have been available with your last 1st round pick? Just smh.
Falcons may have outdone the Raiders. Falcons took 2 second round OL guys in the first... and NEED defense. SMH

Falcons may have outdone the Raiders. Falcons took 2 second round OL guys in the first... and NEED defense. SMH

It's amazing to me how some teams do not understand draft capital. Picking a guy in a round that everybody else wont draft until a later round doesn't make you smarter. You always hear "we saw something in this guy that other teams didn't see." But that makes no sense. If you draft a guy in the third round you could have gotten in the 5th round because you believe he's a third round talent, then you were stupid. You draft another third round guy then in the 5th round you take the guy you thought was a third round guy, so now, in your evaluation, you got the value of 2 third round picks from a 3rd and a 5th.

It's just such backwards thinking. You maximize the draft by getting the guys you want with as late a pick as possible, not by looking for secret gems that you can overdraft to prove how smart you are. The actual smart NFL guys laugh at this kind of thinking.

New England keeps trading back and obtaining more and more draft capital. They get guys on cheaper contracts and fill up the cupboard with decent to pretty good guys who they can turn into depth guys. They know as long as they have Brady under center and Belichick walking the sidelines, that everybody else is expendable.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT