ADVERTISEMENT

It's Draft Day. How many Gators get drafted??

DB-U continues: Florida's 8 DB's selected in the NFL Draft since 2016 is the top mark in the country.

Alabama (6), LSU (6) tOSU (6) and Miami (5) all trail the Gators. :p

1/11 Hargraves
1/17 Neal
2/39 Maye
2/46 Q.Wilson
2/53 Tabor
2/56 Dawson
4/105 C.Gardner-Johnson
6/184 Harris

Was Jefferson drafted yet? I guess being a tweener may keep him from being drafted possibly.

Not only is he a tweener but he’s not athletic enough for being a tweener. 6’1, 250, and runs 4.9. Not athletic enough to play outside linebacker and not big enough to be an every down defensive end.

Reactions: Gator Fever
Interesting fact...3/4 of the guys from our oline went undrafted. No idea how we got so much production from that group last year.

Did Ivey have some issues that weren't known? I thought he would get drafted for sure a few months back.

Interesting fact...3/4 of the guys from our oline went undrafted. No idea how we got so much production from that group last year.

The Mullen / Hevesy / Savage combo might have had something to do with it. :cool:
Another reason that I'm not too worried about the 5+3 that end up being the main players for the coming season. ;)

My own W-a-G was for both 5 stars to end up being F/A's.
Some team will at least take a long look at both I'm betting.

Did Ivey have some issues that weren't known? I thought he would get drafted for sure a few months back.

Don't think so. My guess is what we all saw over the last three years...a guy in a tackle's body who really should be playing guard because he isn't athletic enough. But he isn't strong enough to play guard full time either.

Reactions: PacoGator19
The Mullen / Hevesy / Savage combo might have had something to do with it. :cool:
Another reason that I'm not too worried about the 5+3 that end up being the main players for the coming season. ;)

I'm definitely feeling better about the oline after spring. Heading into last year we all thought they would be a disaster largely because they had been for 3 years and they weren't that talented. Well, the draft just confirmed again they weren't that talented, but the offensive staff got them to play way above their heads. Hopefully they do the same again this year.

All 5 Gator juniors who declared were drafted, but ZERO seniors were drafted. Khari Clark has already signed a free agent contract with the Jaguars, Tyler Jorden has been offered a tryout at a Falcons rookie mini camp and Jefferson has been invited to a Seahawks rookie mini camp with a possibility of getting a free agent contract.

Does anybody on here think Daniel Jones will be better than Sam Darnold, Josh Allen, Josh Rosen, Dwayne Haskins, Drew Lock?

All of these guys could be the Giants QB . Instead they chose to go with a guy completing 55 percent of his passes in the ACC. I know he didn't have elite talent around him and his receivers dropped balls, but the tape doesn't show an elite talent.

It looks like our old friend Gerald Willis was the player most of the talking heads couldn't believe didn't get drafted. His off the field stuff and interview must have been really bad.

All 5 Gator juniors who declared were drafted, but ZERO seniors were drafted. Khari Clark has already signed a free agent contract with the Jaguars, Tyler Jorden has been offered a tryout at a Falcons rookie mini camp and Jefferson has been invited to a Seahawks rookie mini camp with a possibility of getting a free agent contract.

Who makes it onto an active roster for the season as a free agent you think?

Right now I think Ivey might stick somewhere but doubt Jefferson, Johnson or Jordan do.

It looks like our old friend Gerald Willis was the player most of the talking heads couldn't believe didn't get drafted. His off the field stuff and interview must have been really bad.
He’s a head case. That all of a sudden didn’t get better at Miami.

The ESPN website has a ranking of the Best Available, ranking the undrafted players. Gerald Willis #1, but of former Gators, Jefferson is #61, Fred Johnson is #87 and Martez Ivery is #137. They are the only UF players on the list.

There’s nothing wrong with the Giants falling in love with Jones and targeting him as their QB of the future. Like you, I’m skeptical of his future in NFL. The real sin of how it all went down was taking him at #6 overall. He almost certainly would have been available in the second round and probably even the third. They should have / could have traded down to get more picks.

Maybe the Giants front office got bluffed into thinking another team was going to take him in the next few picks after theirs.

In closing I’d like to share a thread from the UK board on this topic.... pretty funny stuff unless you’re a Giants fan.

Link: NY Giants msg board unhinged at passing on Allen.....

I'm not saying there is anything wrong with them falling in love and targeting him, what I'm questioning is their G.M Gettleman constantly putting his foot in his mouth. Firstly he comments on the Beckham situation saying you dont hand out a massive extension to trade said player. He had to have known at that time there may be something in the works.

More recently he said you don't draft for need unless you want to get fired. By that logic he would have surely had guys like Josh Allen , Devin Bush or Jonah Williams higher. I don't think Washington would have taken Jones over Haskins, clearly Denver wasn't as in love with any of the prospects since they traded down once and took two guys, before ultimately trading back up into the second to grab the guy they were reportedly in love with ( Drew Lock)

Maybe Jones was coveted and Gettleman will be proven right. He is a guy being paid to do this job, he is a smarter football mind than I or the Giants fans. I just look at certain moves like Cleveland passing up on Deshaun Watson a couple years ago and shake my head. Clearly you can project and uncover talents, but the tape doesn't lie. From what I've seen on Jones is a guy who had a terrible line, no elite receivers. He used several check downs likely due to the protection, but unlike Haskins who had guys like McLaurin and Campbell who could take it to the house, his guys would go for 10 to 15 yards.

Perhaps he can make NFL reads and throws, I just question a guy being picked number 6 with the stats he had.

Reactions: ukalum1988
I'm not saying there is anything wrong with them falling in love and targeting him, what I'm questioning is their G.M Gettleman constantly putting his foot in his mouth. Firstly he comments on the Beckham situation saying you dont hand out a massive extension to trade said player. He had to have known at that time there may be something in the works.

More recently he said you don't draft for need unless you want to get fired. By that logic he would have surely had guys like Josh Allen , Devin Bush or Jonah Williams higher. I don't think Washington would have taken Jones over Haskins, clearly Denver wasn't as in love with any of the prospects since they traded down once and took two guys, before ultimately trading back up into the second to grab the guy they were reportedly in love with ( Drew Lock)

Maybe Jones was coveted and Gettleman will be proven right. He is a guy being paid to do this job, he is a smarter football mind than I or the Giants fans. I just look at certain moves like Cleveland passing up on Deshaun Watson a couple years ago and shake my head. Clearly you can project and uncover talents, but the tape doesn't lie. From what I've seen on Jones is a guy who had a terrible line, no elite receivers. He used several check downs likely due to the protection, but unlike Haskins who had guys like McLaurin and Campbell who could take it to the house, his guys would go for 10 to 15 yards.

Perhaps he can make NFL reads and throws, I just question a guy being picked number 6 with the stats he had.

I agree.

I was shocked that they drafted him. It sounds like there's a lot of talk that Peyton Manning pleases Jones' case because of the Cutcliffe connection.

Reactions: PlutoDroid
I agree.

I was shocked that they drafted him. It sounds like there's a lot of talk that Peyton Manning pleases Jones' case because of the Cutcliffe connection.

This was one of the weaker QB classes in recent memory imo. Had Josh Rosen come out this year I think he would have been the best prospect. He was projected in several mocks to be number 1 last year, before questions about his personality turned alot of people off.

Murray would still have gone to Arizona if in this alternate timeline Kingsbury was still hired and Arizona had the number one pick.

If New York struggles and gets a top 5 pick next year, I wonder if they will pass on guys like Tua, Herbert, or Fromm. Then again they passed on Darnold, Allen , and Rosen last year to draft Barkley (who looked great as the offensive R.O.Y).

instaGATOR said:
Classes don't matter at all, so nobody should care where some twit rates them.
(while taken out of context and true meaning by a moronic dog-poker, it's not far off as is)

More proof of statement:

5 Gators drafted. 3 were 3 stars, 2 were 4 stars, none were Sr's or 5 stars.
2 Sr 5 stars went un-drafted, along with some other Sr 3-4 stars.

The majority of those drafted in the 1st found were 3 stars.

Depending on the recruiting service, from 20 to 35 recruits are rated 5 stars each year.
If star ranking was all that accurate, then the vast majority of 1st round picks in the draft should be 5 stars. o_O

instaGATOR said:
Classes don't matter at all, so nobody should care where some twit rates them.
(while taken out of context and true meaning by a moronic dog-poker, it's not far off as is)

More proof of statement:

5 Gators drafted. 3 were 3 stars, 2 were 4 stars, none were Sr's or 5 stars.
2 Sr 5 stars went un-drafted, along with some other Sr 3-4 stars.

The majority of those drafted in the 1st found were 3 stars.

Depending on the recruiting service, from 20 to 35 recruits are rated 5 stars each year.
If star ranking was all that accurate, then the vast majority of 1st round picks in the draft should be 5 stars. o_O

Are you making the case that we didn't develop our 5 star talent? % wise a 5 star is so much more likely to be drafted than a 3 star it isn't even funny.

I think Ivey will make the league as a Guard probably. Though it was a little surprising someone the coaches said was 2nd team SEC didn't get drafted.

Are you making the case that we didn't develop our 5 star talent? % wise a 5 star is so much more likely to be drafted than a 3 star it isn't even funny.

I think Ivey will make the league as a Guard probably. Though it was a little surprising someone the coaches said was 2nd team SEC didn't get drafted.

Ivey is out of position. Oozie is right.

He's a guard in a tackles body and he's not great at either.

Same problem for CeCe. He should be a DT, but he's not a DT.

Yea they definitely got no favors having to spend 3 years under McElwain, but I don’t see either of them being great anywhere else. Cece has no position and just isn’t athletic enough and Ivey isn’t great at any one position on the line. Best case scenario for Ivey is under a real staff he would have bulked up some more and been an ok guard. We tinkered with that this past season but didn’t have a tackle worth a damn to play on the left side.

Who makes it onto an active roster for the season as a free agent you think?

Right now I think Ivey might stick somewhere but doubt Jefferson, Johnson or Jordan do.
Surprisingly, a lot of really good players, including some Hall of Famers, were undrafted free agents. Technology and the way every play of every player is now available for analysis, makes it less likely today than in the past, it still happens. Here's a list from SBNation of some of the best:
https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2018/4/28/17291836/undrafted-free-agents-best-ever-nfl-draft-udfa-udfas

And here's a list of the best UDFA in each team's history.
http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/page/32for32x180417/best-undrafted-nfl-players-every-team-history

Are you making the case that we didn't develop our 5 star talent? % wise a 5 star is so much more likely to be drafted than a 3 star it isn't even funny..

The majority just taken in the 1st Rnd were 3 stars, so obviously the fevered one is not paying attention. :rolleyes:

UF's highest drafted player was a 3 star so it's more of developing players, not depending on some outside dweeb handing out the stars. :cool:

That said, for the 5th-straight year, at least 5 Gators were selected in the NFL Draft. o_O

Surprisingly, a lot of really good players, including some Hall of Famers, were undrafted free agents. Technology and the way every play of every player is now available for analysis, makes it less likely today than in the past, it still happens. Here's a list from SBNation of some of the best:
https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2018/4/28/17291836/undrafted-free-agents-best-ever-nfl-draft-udfa-udfas

And here's a list of the best UDFA in each team's history.
http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/page/32for32x180417/best-undrafted-nfl-players-every-team-history

Who was the best undrafted free agent ever from the Gators? I think they went to 7 rounds about 1994 so it would probably be someone since that year.

The majority just taken in the 1st Rnd were 3 stars, so obviously the fevered one is not paying attention. :rolleyes:

UF's highest drafted player was a 3 star so it's more of developing players, not depending on some outside dweeb handing out the stars. :cool:

That said, for the 5th-straight year, at least 5 Gators were selected in the NFL Draft. o_O

How many 3 stars are there compared to 5 stars and at what % out of those numbers for each are they 1st rounders?

Who was the best undrafted free agent ever from the Gators? I think they went to 7 rounds about 1994 so it would probably be someone since that year.
I have no idea how to get a list of undrafted former Gators who made it to an NFL roster. I know a fairly recent one who is pretty good, though, is Trey Burton. Here's a link to a list of ALL former Gators who played in the NFL, but I ain't gonna click on each one to see whether or not they were drafted.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Florida_Gators_football_players_in_the_NFL

Gator Free Agents:

DE CeCe Jefferson - Seahawks

OG/OT Martez Ivey - Jets ?? EDIT
>>>
OT/OG Ivey agreed to attend the Seahawks rookie minicamp for a tryout.

OG/OT Fred Johnson - Steelers

OG Tyler Jordan - Falcons

DT Khairi Clark - Jags

TE Moral Stephens - Buffalo

TE R.J. Raymond - Titans

Last edited:
I have no idea how to get a list of undrafted former Gators who made it to an NFL roster. I know a fairly recent one who is pretty good, though, is Trey Burton. Here's a link to a list of ALL former Gators who played in the NFL, but I ain't gonna click on each one to see whether or not they were drafted.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Florida_Gators_football_players_in_the_NFL

Yep I can't think of any undrafted one becoming a top NFL player off the top of my head. If we want to include guys that were outside the 7th round pre-1994 then Brad Culpepper had a decent career as a 10th rounder.,

I've updated the above list, and will continue to do so as names are added.

TE Moral Stephens - Buffalo

He finished the 2018 season with 8 catches for 106 yds, 13.3 yds/rec and 3 TD's, tied for 4th on the team in TD receptions, including the one that beat MsSt.
=====

Another former Florida player will get his chance to impress NFL coaches and earn a spot onto a roster. Former Gators TE R.J. Raymond will join the Tennessee Titans.

Last edited:
Reactions: PlutoDroid
Draft analysis is as worthless in the days following the draft as it is three years after. It’s easy to say after the draft that someone got taken too early, just like it’s easy to say after everyone plays a couple years that someone should have been taken earlier. Bottom line is it’s a crapshoot. Cleveland got crap for passing on Watson after the fact just like they got crap for taking Mayfield first.

I think it’s legit to criticize overvaluing a certain position. Barkley is a great back but you could have got either UGA back last year much later. Broncos signed Phillip Lindsey off the street. Kamara was the third round. I believe Kareem Hunt was third round, etc... etc... But it’s a stretch to say after the draft is over that such and such player would have been there later. Even if you know absolutely what position everyone’s looking for, which is impossible, how do you know nobody trades up?

It’s a legit criticism of the Giants that they misread their roster and thought adding Barkley would make them competitive with Eli. Doubtful that you would put higher value on the no. 6 pick in this year’s qb draft than the no. 2 pick last year.

Just a little FYI --- Former 5 stars in the 2019 NFL Draft.

8 of the 32 available 1st Rnd spots were 5 stars, for 25% of the picks.

Of the 27 former 5 stars available, 29.6% went somewhere in the 1st Rnd.
-----
3 in the 2nd Rnd,
2 in the 3rd Rnd,
1 in the 4th Rnd,
-----
3 in the 5th Rnd,
0 in the 6th Rnd
3 in the 7th Rnd
-----
20 total -- 74% of the former 5 stars were drafted.

While 7 (25.9%), the 2nd highest total, went un-drafted.

Make of it what you will... :cool:

Just a little FYI --- Former 5 stars in the 2019 NFL Draft.

8 of the 32 available 1st Rnd spots were 5 stars, for 25% of the picks.

Of the 27 former 5 stars available, 29.6% went somewhere in the 1st Rnd.
-----
3 in the 2nd Rnd,
2 in the 3rd Rnd,
1 in the 4th Rnd,
-----
3 in the 5th Rnd,
0 in the 6th Rnd
3 in the 7th Rnd
-----
20 total -- 74% of the former 5 stars were drafted.

While 7 (25.9%), the 2nd highest total, went un-drafted.

Make of it what you will... :cool:

If you’re talking about percentage of 5 stars undrafted it’s because there are less 5 stars than 4 or 3, so an undrafted player is going to really skew the percentages. Percentage drafted would probably be the best number.

"Make of it what you will"... :cool:

If you’re talking about percentage of 5 stars undrafted it’s because there are less 5 stars than 4 or 3, so an undrafted player is going to really skew the percentages. Percentage drafted would probably be the best number.

Your own personal bias is noted. :cool:

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT