ADVERTISEMENT

Is it just me or are we assembling a staff or what?!

If Grantham was at FSU you'd say he was nothing special. And you'd be right. He was average at Georgia and Louisville.

Above average at MSU, especially given the players he had access to. I guess since he's now at UF he couldn't experience professional growth. If he was at fsu you'd be optimistic and you'd be right to be.

Harlon Barnett is an average DC hire. He was only the Co-DC at Mich St. For comparison’s sake Todd Grantham and Manny Diaz are much better.

Disagree 100%. He’s a great hire and very well respected. Grantham is better in what way? I’m thrilled you got him. We’ve lit him up a few times.

I’d rather have Barnett than those two.

Not surprised this turned into the nolies have the best coaches thread....always looking for a that a boy from the big brothers.

Go Canes!

Hell, after Mr. Absolute Control, Jimbolt Fisher, I'll take a little UNorganization. No joke.

Personally, I'm liking Taggarts hires...seems he's bringing in a younger, hungry staff that can recruit. We certainly won't truly know what we've got until kick-off, but anything's got to be better than the Trickett Turnstile OL and Kelly's infamous "3rd and Kelly".

I say nothing about FSU.

However, my UF experience is that Spurrier and Meyer were highly organized and had a plan. Muschamp and McElwain, not so much, and Zook not at all but he recruited so well it hid some of the flaws.

I remember Zook's plan was to have "efficient" practices, which meant to run to your next drill so it could start sooner. Should have seen it then, but Hope can be a cruel bitch.

Oh I know and I have Kore respect for you guys than them.

My wife has theee degrees from UF and I go to a game a year. Your fans at least know how to act right at a game.

This is all barbs. You guys definitely have a staff upgrade. Mullen is a great fit.

Reactions: TennesseeGator
Oh I know and I have Kore respect for you guys than them.

My wife has theee degrees from UF and I go to a game a year. Your fans at least know how to act right at a game.

This is all barbs. You guys definitely have a staff upgrade. Mullen is a great fit.

I don’t think, in the 14 years I’ve been here, that I’ve ever seen you drop the troll veil before.

Wonders never cease.

If Grantham was at FSU you'd say he was nothing special. And you'd be right. He was average at Georgia and Louisville.
You we’re saying??

Georgia's defense under Grantham finished the 2011 season ranked 3rd nationally in total defense, 7th in pass defense and 9th in rush defense. They also finished 2nd in the SEC in sacks (34), tackles for loss (94) and turnovers forced (29).

In 2014 Louisville’s defense finished 6th nationally in total defense. In 2015 Louisville finished 18th in the country in total defense. In 2016 Louisville finished 14 in the country in total defense

In 2017 Miss St finished 10th in the country in total defense.

Thanks

Disagree 100%. He’s a great hire and very well respected. Grantham is better in what way? I’m thrilled you got him. We’ve lit him up a few times.

I’d rather have Barnett than those two.
Diaz and Grantham are much better than a guy that couldn’t even get sole DC responsibilities at Michigan St. Let’s be honest. This is the first time in Barnett’s career he has ever been the sole DC. He’s never held the position on his own before.

Diaz and Grantham are much better than a guy that couldn’t even get sole DC responsibilities at Michigan St. Let’s be honest. This is the first time in Barnett’s career he has ever been the sole DC. He’s never held the position on his own before.
much better on paper for certain...doesn't mean both can't be great or both suck. Jimbo gave Pruitt his first shot at DC and look how that turned out.

You we’re saying??

Georgia's defense under Grantham finished the 2011 season ranked 3rd nationally in total defense, 7th in pass defense and 9th in rush defense. They also finished 2nd in the SEC in sacks (34), tackles for loss (94) and turnovers forced (29).

In 2014 Louisville’s defense finished 6th nationally in total defense. In 2015 Louisville finished 18th in the country in total defense. In 2016 Louisville finished 14 in the country in total defense

Thanks
Third and Grantham~Georgia fans
Couldn't hold a 21 point lead against FSU in 2014.
FSU averaged 41.5 against him.
But sure.

Reactions: Nolebra Kai
I was surprised that FSU even let Taggart hire a guy as their DC that has never even been a DC on his own. Pretty big stretch there on Taggart’s part. The criticisms of him at USF, Western Kentucky, etc are showing. Unorganized and not really prepared.

much better on paper for certain...doesn't mean both can't be great or both suck. Jimbo gave Pruitt his first shot at DC and look how that turned out.
Agreed. Jimbo Fisher also gave Charles Kelly his real first DC job as well and looked how that turned out. There are exceptions for everything

He didn't call the plays. He has a track record of solid talent eval of 2 and 3 star players from the North. But how is that going to translate to FSU? Hard to spin this as being a top shelf pick, never mind that this could have happened a month ago and helped us with the early signing period. This just adds to the narrative that WT is a fly by the seat of his pants type of guy. And, where the H is Dugans? We were told he was coming the day after UM's bowl game? He has a track record with WT and lobbied to get on Jimbo's staff a couple of years ago. This should also have happened days if not weeks ago.

2 and 3 star players? You don't get out much do you? Michigan State has had a top 25 class 4 of the last 5 years. Their defense has 4 stars all over the place. Josh Butler, Justin Layne, Raequan Williams, Mike Panasiuk, & Auston Robertson were all Rivals 250 guys. It's hilarious to me that people act like teams like Michigan State, Stanford, and Wisconsin don't have good talent. They don't have Alabama or Clemson talent, but they have better players than 80% of CFB teams and routinely put guys in the NFL.

You we’re saying??

Thanks

Grantham has been around for a decade and is what he is. He's a B minus DC. Not the best; not the worst.

Look at all that SEC experience:

Mullen
Johnson
Gonzales
Hevesy
Grantham
Knox
Sunseri
Warren

And we going to officially keep Seider and Skipper at some point?

The "feel good" since day one of Mullen era just keeps on feeling good with each new day that passes. Getting top flight transfers, top flight recruits, experienced coaches.

Can't freakin' wait until 9/1/2018.
Over 75 years of SEC experience, our strength and conditioning should improve dramatically. Anyone have any info on the guy Dan brought with him from Starkville?

Over 75 years of SEC experience, our strength and conditioning should improve dramatically. Anyone have any info on the guy Dan brought with him from Starkville?
Savage is a Mickey Marotti protege. Marotti was our S&C coach during the Meyer years. Our players are getting ready to go through what they did when Marotti was here. The puke buckets are coming back out. Savage is really good.

Reactions: PlutoDroid
I was surprised that FSU even let Taggart hire a guy as their DC that has never even been a DC on his own. Pretty big stretch there on Taggart’s part. The criticisms of him at USF, Western Kentucky, etc are showing. Unorganized and not really prepared.

How is he not prepared? Barnett is a great hire and FSU fans are thrilled with him. We would be irate if we got Grantham. Grantham isn’t an elite DC.

We wound much rather have Willie and Barnett than the Mississippi St staff I’m Novat Doak. Good luck. 6 in a row.

Not surprised this turned into the nolies have the best coaches thread....always looking for a that a boy from the big brothers.

Go Canes!
Yep Grantham and Diaz are both better than Burnett who also has never even been a sole DC before. You put all 3 of their resumes side by side and 2 of the resumes are much more impressive than the 3rd.

Last edited:
Yep Grantham and Diaz are both better than Barnett who also has never even been a sole DC before. You put all 3 of their resumes side by side and 2 of the resumes are much more impressive than the 3rd.

Well, that's definitely not good news for Barnett because Grantham and Diaz's resumes aren't very impressive.

Reactions: Nolebra Kai
Scoring D rankings:

Grantham-

2010: #36
2011: #23
2012: #18
2013: #79
2014: #24
2015: #39
2016: #31
2017: #26

Average: 35th

Diaz-

2011: #33
2012: #72
2013: #57
2014: #39
2015: #36
2016: #12
2017: #28

Average: 40th

How is he not prepared? Barnett is a great hire and FSU fans are thrilled with him. We would be irate if we got Grantham. Grantham isn’t an elite DC.

We wound much rather have Willie and Barnett than the Mississippi St staff I’m Novat Doak. Good luck. 6 in a row.

You guys seem REALLY confident about a team that is REALLY not very good.

Considering that we are moving from a coaching staff with no organization, no vision and no plan to one with all three, and you are moving from a highly organized staff to one led by a coach with issues in that area, I am going to predict that by the end of October 2018 you are going to be worried about our game while we will be looking forward to it with great anticipation, because we will be light years better and you will be treading water.

Scoring D rankings:

Grantham-

2010: #36
2011: #23
2012: #18
2013: #79
2014: #24
2015: #39
2016: #31
2017: #26

Average: 35th

I see it differently. When Florida's defense is good, it's when we have played aggressive. When we have sat back in bend but don't break we have been average. It has to do with the type of athletes available in state. Tons of speed, not so much bulk. You know this as well as we do, we recruit the same guys. Grantham is a guy with an aggressive style. Sometimes guys bounce around until they get to the right situation. This could be it for him.

Yep Grantham and Diaz are both better than Burnett who also has never even been a sole DC before. You put all 3 of their resumes side by side and 2 of the resumes are much more impressive than the 3rd.

Yet Grantham has never been Ass. Head coach like Barnett. Semantics are seldom valid.

Agreed. Jimbo Fisher also gave Charles Kelly his real first DC job as well and looked how that turned out. There are exceptions for everything
That's why I said it could go either way...Charles is a great recruiter and even better person (the players absolutely love him), he's just a terrible game-day coach. Personally, I'd like to keep him as a position coach...but DC? NOPE!

Not to mention Barnett is just a Co-DC but it is also Mark Dantonio’s defense. Dantonio’s background is defensive so it is a gamble to take a DC from a defensive minded head coach. It would be like hiring Travaris Robinson to be your DC. Everybody knows he isn’t what makes the defense go. It’s a gamble for sure.

I see it differently. When Florida's defense is good, it's when we have played aggressive. When we have sat back in bend but don't break we have been average. It has to do with the type of athletes available in state. Tons of speed, not so much bulk. You know this as well as we do, we recruit the same guys. Grantham is a guy with an aggressive style. Sometimes guys bounce around until they get to the right situation. This could be it for him.

Like I said, Grantham is what he is - not the best; not the worst. I'd put him in the Mark Stoops tier. Better than a Charles Kelly, but nowhere close to a Kirby Smart or Brent Venables. Also, he took over the #1 defense in the country at Louisville so it's not like he's never walked into a good situation.

Not to mention Barnett is just a Co-DC but it is also Mark Dantonio’s defense. Dantonio’s background is defensive so it is a gamble to take a DC from a defensive minded head coach. It would be like hiring Travaris Robinson to be your DC. Everybody knows he isn’t what makes the defense go. It’s a gamble for sure.

This. Everyone thought former Mich St DC Pat Narduzzi was the brains. Meanwhile Dantonio fields elite defense after elite defense and Narduzzi and Pitt can’t stop a high school team. Make no bones about it, that IS Dantonio’s defense.

Third and Grantham~Georgia fans
Couldn't hold a 21 point lead against FSU in 2014.
FSU averaged 41.5 against him.
But sure.

The cherries are looking ripe to me.... ;)

DC Mickey 'da-thug' Andrews - Broyles Award in 1996 -- UF 52 - 20 FSU
(his star pupil was the infamous criminole thug, Darnell Dockett) o_O

I'm a bit surprised that the criminoles didn't drag ole Mic back out and prop him up on the sidelines.... :D

The cherries are looking ripe to me.... ;)

DC Mickey 'da-thug' Andrews - Broyles Award in 1996 -- UF 52 - 20 FSU
(his star pupil was the infamous criminole thug, Darnell Dockett) o_O

I'm a bit surprised that the criminoles didn't drag ole Mic back out and prop him up on the sidelines.... :D

Dockett was in like 8th grade in 96.

Reactions: samdingo and -MDVOL
This. Everyone thought former Mich St DC Pat Narduzzi was the brains. Meanwhile Dantonio fields elite defense after elite defense and Narduzzi and Pitt can’t stop a high school team. Make no bones about it, that IS Dantonio’s defense.
100% correct. Guess what? Dantonio will continue to field a good defense because it is his defense and he’s a defensive minded head coach. Burnett was most definitely a gamble hire for Taggart as a DC

Without wasting my time looking over stats...has in the past 15 years has Louisville ever really had a top defense? Even while Charlie Strong, whom came to the ranks as a defensive guru, have they had a consistent defense? Has Bobby Petrino ever fielded a team with a good defense?

Sure I don't know of our DC will be top flight or not, but basing what one did at Louisville is not a good measuring stick. What top notch playmakers they get, they usually have to put on offense to compete with FSU, Clemson, etc.

Without wasting my time looking over stats...has in the past 15 years has Louisville ever really had a top defense? Even while Charlie Strong, whom came to the ranks as a defensive guru, have they had a consistent defense? Has Bobby Petrino ever fielded a team with a good defense?

Sure I don't know of our DC will be top flight or not, but basing what one did at Louisville is not a good measuring stick. What top notch playmakers they get, they usually have to put on offense to compete with FSU, Clemson, etc.

The year before Grantham took over at Louisville they were #1 in total defense and #2 in scoring defense.

What else is very odd and unorganized looking is hiring position coaches before you have a clue who your offensive and defensive coordinator’s are going to be is pretty odd. It’s typically not the process coaches go about doing things when assembling a staff at all.

What else is very odd and unorganized looking is hiring position coaches before you have a clue who your offensive and defensive coordinator’s are going to be is pretty odd. It’s typically not the process coaches go about doing things when assembling a staff at all.

I really think Willie thought it was a lock he would be bringing one coordinator from Oregon. I think he is in a bit of a bind now. It may turn out OK, but I know he thought Leavitt was coming and I know Jom Leohnard turned him down, so yes, there is a degree of scrambling

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT