ADVERTISEMENT

In his own words -- Winston lied

If he's willing to lie about something as small as his Publix "hook-up," what else is he willing to lie about?

http://www.sbnation.com/2015/4/22/8466133/nfl-draft-jameis-winston-crab-legs-jim-harbaugh
You're just now realizing he lied about "crabgate?" o_O

I thought it was a foregone conclusion that he either A. was benefiting from an employee "hook-up" and took the fall or B. just walked out.

FWIW,
Most of the Noles here don't believe JW didn't commit rape because of his account...it's because of the accuser's account.

How did he lie about it? Winston's only public statement regarding crabgate was:

"As reported in the news, last night I received an adult civil citation for petit theft from a local supermarket,” Winston said. “I went to the supermarket with the intent to purchase dinner but made a terrible mistake for which I’m taking full responsibility. In a moment of youthful ignorance, I walked out of the store without paying for one of my items.

I realize that I am in the public spotlight and my conduct needs to be above reproach. Over the last year I've learned that my accomplishments on the fields can be a wonderful thing for my school, teammates, friends and family. At the same time, I must realize that my mistakes are magnified and can bring great embarrassment to all those who support me every day.

I make no excuses for my actions and will learn and grow from this unfortunate situation. I hope and pray my friends and family will view me as the 20 year old young man that I am, and support me through this unfortunate situation. I am grateful to be able to participate in the adult citation program where I will complete community service."

He probably did go with the intent to purchase dinner, then found his hookup was conveniently working there. It was a moment of youthful ignorance to think this was a good idea given his celebrity. And of course, he did walk out of the store without paying for one of the items.

Where was the lie? The only non-truths were the assumptions made by the media. Sadly, I fear this is going to put us in hot water with the NCAA. As if much worse doesn't happen everywhere else.

And of course, he did walk out of the store without paying for one of the items.

Um, watch the video. There was only one item; crablegs. He strolled out (right behind a cop) without a care in the world. Either he forgot he had something in his hands or the Sea Food clerk said, "I got this, bro."

As for "hot water" with the NCAA, if they investigated every college town and its propensity for "gifting" athletes, there'd be no college sports. Not saying I approve/disapprove, just acknowledging this isn't "news." Heck, the owner of Ben's sub shop in Tavares, FL used to give free subs to athletes often. If it happens in HS towns, what do you think happens in College towns?

As for "hot water" with the NCAA, if they investigated every college town and its propensity for "gifting" athletes, there'd be no college sports.

Maybe...but here is a case of a high profile athlete admitting it. Does the NCAA simply cover their ears and act like they didn't hear it?

I thought it was a foregone conclusion that he either A. was benefiting from an employee "hook-up" and took the fall or B. just walked out.

FWIW,
Most of the Noles here don't believe JW didn't commit rape because of his account...it's because of the accuser's account.

Holy Jameis, there are some people who thought he actually walked in without knowing an individual on the inside for a hookup?

Maybe...but here is a case of a high profile athlete admitting it. Does the NCAA simply cover their ears and act like they didn't hear it?

The issue is the guy at Publix didn't own the crabs so he was stealing too. There was no gift. Big difference

I really hope you aren't counting on something coming out of this from the NCAA?

How did he lie about it?

First off, I really, really don't care about crabgate. But he clearly lied to, or at least misled, Jimbo Fisher. Either that, or he told the truth to Fisher, and then Fisher lied to cover for him.

"FSU coach Jimbo Fisher said that after investigating, he believed Winston failed to pay because he was used to shopping at Winn-Dixie rather than Publix and was preoccupied by an order for wings he had just placed. Winston apologized for his "youthful ignorance."

The issue is the guy at Publix didn't own the crabs so he was stealing too. There was no gift. Big difference

True. If the "store" had "authorized" it, it would have been an impermissible benefit, but if it was a rogue employee then they are both guilty of petty theft. (At least I think that's how it goes).

There are only two possibilities here:

1. Winston knew he was receiving an illegal benefit

2. Winston knew he was stealing food

I would prefer we go with #1.

I really hope you aren't counting on something coming out of this from the NCAA?

I never count on the NCAA doing crap but.....if the hookup story is correct.....it is an illegal benefit and well within the NCAA's scope of enforcement.

I never count on the NCAA doing crap but.....if the hookup story is correct.....it is an illegal benefit and well within the NCAA's scope of enforcement.

The hookup story is true. I didn't need to get it verified, if anyone thought he just strolled up in there & picked them up without a store employee knowing, well, I can't help you.

This is even worse for the Bucs. if he can assume hes above paying for food and cake as hes a football star what happens if hes the number one pick?? Sorry Lovie i assumed your wife was mine to fondle. His PR and legal team are good but JW is still a lowlife scumbag. whats next is going to be the race card.

This is even worse for the Bucs. if he can assume hes above paying for food and cake as hes a football star what happens if hes the number one pick?? Sorry Lovie i assumed your wife was mine to fondle. His PR and legal team are good but JW is still a lowlife scumbag. whats next is going to be the race card.

You truly need help.

"If you don't think that jamie is a fine upstanding highly intelligent young man with practically unlimited talent who has barely done a thing wrong ever, is a victim of SEC-biased media, and is a surefire NFL HOFer, then you are a hater and every time you discuss him you are criticizing and hating him, and you might be a racist too."
-Sincerely, all noles

No, but I do know certain whiny posters on this board cry to the mods on a regular basis to get rivals banned.

word i heard from inside bucs organization is they know he was hooked up. No big deal.
They also have done their investigation and interviews. The findings are, weather they are right or wrong, they beleive the sex thing started out as consensual and then it wasn't.
Some in orginization don't want him others don't care.
W will see what happens.

As for "hot water" with the NCAA, if they investigated every college town and its propensity for "gifting" athletes, there'd be no college sports. Not saying I approve/disapprove, just acknowledging this isn't "news." Heck, the owner of Ben's sub shop in Tavares, FL used to give free subs to athletes often. If it happens in HS towns, what do you think happens in College towns?

"Hey, no big deal. Every college athletic program violates the NCAA rules!"

Of course Lovies wife is gonna give it up, it's Jameis Winston.

I once worked with a former defensive player who played on a National Title team within the last 10 years (not FSU or UF). He said the football players got everything for free. Restaurant bills, bar tabs, dry cleaning, even oil changes. He was a starter but not a huge name and said he rarely paid for anything. It happens way more than we realize.

From a buddy on another board;

Bianchi was talkign about this on the radio this morning as though it might be a coverup by FSU.

A coverup? Of $32 in "benefits" from a non-booster? Yeah, I kinda doubt it. Let's assume it was scores of athletes getting free cakes on a semi-regular basis. All they had to do was step on it right then and the whole thing is over. Nobody loses eligibility for getting crab legs.

Jameis is just full of shit. He'll say whatever is convenient at the time. Did he have a wink and nod relationship with some dudes at Publix? Wouldn't surprise me at all. It still doesn't add up to anything of note. What stands out to me is this: assume he is telling the truth now. Why wouldn't he have told this story at the time? He pays for the crab legs and sits out a midweek baseball game and its all over and nobody blames him. My guess, he didn't want to rat out his hook up. But now that he's in line for millions, he is willing to do so? What won't this guy do?

From a buddy on another board;
My guess, he didn't want to rat out his hook up. But now that he's in line for millions, he is willing to do so? What won't this guy do?

So everyone's certain that A. his comments identified the person. B. That person still works there. C. Publix and FSU didn't find this out and handle it a year ago?

f6b58d80f9bda9a43b6ee9c4698970102575ad4e2a5f0f542c2d4ff9a4db9362.jpg

Obviously he lied to everyone or he was told to lie...they should have asked him about his lie regarding the rapes ...

Go Canes!

So everyone's certain that A. his comments identified the person. B. That person still works there. C. Publix and FSU didn't find this out and handle it a year ago?

"But, according to TMZ, the Lakeland grocery chain said its internal investigation "never came across any evidence that suggests there was an arrangement that Mr. Winston or any other FSU athlete had with an employee."

The rep added: "There is absolutely no information that corroborates Jameis' story."

Publix adds that after he was caught, Winston told police he forgot to pay for the crab legs, and did not realize what happened until he was home.

"If Mr. Winston has new information about a person he had a deal with, we'd be happy to reopen the investigation," Publix told TMZ."

Dayum you TMZ and your SEC-biased Winston hating reporters....and don't get me started on Publix!

"But, according to TMZ, the Lakeland grocery chain said its internal investigation "never came across any evidence that suggests there was an arrangement that Mr. Winston or any other FSU athlete had with an employee."

The rep added: "There is absolutely no information that corroborates Jameis' story."

Publix adds that after he was caught, Winston told police he forgot to pay for the crab legs, and did not realize what happened until he was home.

"If Mr. Winston has new information about a person he had a deal with, we'd be happy to reopen the investigation," Publix told TMZ."

Dayum you TMZ and your SEC-biased Winston hating reporters....and don't get me started on Publix!

I think both parties (Publix and FSU) had a vested interest in this being an "isolated" case. It would be a PR nightmare for both. Best to just let Winston take the fall. Could you imagine if every establishment in every college town came clean? It's best we leave this sort of stuff to the Fight Club rules. ;)

In any case, I'd venture to say the guy (or gal) who handed JW the crabs no longer works for Publix. Maybe he/she will write a tell-all book about it.

2876841.jpg

FWIW,
Wow. I remember back when a facebook post was put on here of a man saying he overheard Winston say to a publix seafood clerk "hey the store manager said I could get this free", you swore up and down that there was no way that was true. How funny your story changes when Winston himself says it. You're lucky the rivals forums have updated and that thread isn't here or I would link it.

I think the whole FSU fanbase has become Winston's mouth piece, he has a strange cult like following.

Wow. I remember back when a facebook post was put on here of a man saying he overheard Winston say to a publix seafood clerk "hey the store manager said I could get this free", you swore up and down that there was no way that was true. How funny your story changes when Winston himself says it. You're lucky the rivals forums have updated and that thread isn't here or I would link it.

I think the whole FSU fanbase has become Winston's mouth piece, he has a strange cult like following.
Can't find the facebook post, but here is a reference to it, along with other NFL players claiming this has been going on for decades.
"I'm standing in line ordering seafood at a local grocery store when Heisman trophy winner Jameis Winston says, 'hey, what's the store managers name'. The girl replies (blacked out) He says, 'yeah (blacked out) said I could have whatever I want'. The then walks out with $100 free food. Probably not a violation."
http://www.sportsworldnews.com/arti...-winston-has-taken-free-food-before-video.htm

GM Steve Keim on weighing off field issues;

"If Hannibal Lecter ran a 4.3, we'd probably diagnose it as an eating disorder."

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT