ADVERTISEMENT

2024 Gator baseball

Not like we have a lot of great options, but I have to say I think I would have just stuck with Fisher on Fridays and Peterson on Saturdays. It was worth giving Neely a shot but he had no length. Probably should have stretched him out to start to begin with. Better to have him back in the bullpen. But switching up Peterson, who was improving, for Coppola in the middle of SEC play is a real head scratcher to me. Hopefully Coppola goes out and gets one this week.

Now we’re Coppola on Friday and tba on Saturday. Not ideal.

Yeah Coppola pitched his ass off. Wonder if we go back to Peterson today? Probably Neely given we didn’t use him last night.

Gators go 1-2 vs. Arkansas. Could have easily swept or at least won the series. 11 games left, 9 of them against ranked SEC teams. Got to finish above .500 to make the post season and are 22-21 now.
We were literally 3 plays away from the sweep. We actually played fairly well and our pitching was not awful. Play like this over these next 9 sec games and I could see 6-3.

Really thought we were going to turn the season around. Very disappointing to see the bullpen collapse again in game 2. Slater has had a really tough year.

They showed a ton of fight to win game 3. They showed they can compete with anyone anywhere. Just have to make the plays when they’re there.

We’ve got 3 series left to show we’re a tourney team.

Really thought we were going to turn the season around. Very disappointing to see the bullpen collapse again in game 2. Slater has had a really tough year.

They showed a ton of fight to win game 3. They showed they can compete with anyone anywhere. Just have to make the plays when they’re there.

We’ve got 3 series left to show we’re a tourney team.
Our SOS is now #1. We need to win our 2 remaining midweek games (FAU & USF) and then go 4-5 in our final SEC games. That win get us in IMO.

Yost has been a good find. Decent bat in the outfield and let’s shelnut play third. With Donay and Yost, the bottom of the lineup is a little dangerous.

Certainly seems like we’ve got the pitching to make anyone look good. Better tighten up starting tomorrow. Hopefully Coppola keeps it going.

Typical low life cheating Fuchs

Death, taxes and Jawja being a bunch of cheatin' bastards.

Had second and third no outs, nobody scores. Then first and third no outs nobody scores.

Guys trying to sacrifice in the 7th and we walk him on 4 pitches and the guy comes around to score.

We’ve played a lot of bad baseball this year.

Ok. Let’s get game 2. Coppola pitching I think.

Peterson, Jameson & McNeillie were very good tonight. Important win for their post season hopes. A win withs Cags on the mound tomorrow would be great.

Reactions: Nicktheslick
Donay and Yost have been nice additions to the lineup. Yost is pretty spiffy in left field also and then shelnut can play third.

Donay makes it a little interesting behind the plate but he’s been getting the job done.

One thing that baffles me about this team, with all the problems we’ve had with walks, is why do we keep calling breaking balls on the first two pitches? McNealie put the 7 and 9 hitter on throwing breaking balls early in the count and then got the top of the lineup out with fastballs. Why do we do this to ourselves over and over? Particularly the bottom of the lineup?

Donay and Yost have been nice additions to the lineup. Yost is pretty spiffy in left field also and then shelnut can play third.

Donay makes it a little interesting behind the plate but he’s been getting the job done.

One thing that baffles me about this team, with all the problems we’ve had with walks, is why do we keep calling breaking balls on the first two pitches? McNealie put the 7 and 9 hitter on throwing breaking balls early in the count and then got the top of the lineup out with fastballs. Why do we do this to ourselves over and over? Particularly the bottom of the lineup?
Donay has come on strong with the bat once he got inserted into the starting lineup on a regular basis after Gaqrrison's injury. But he's clearly only th 3rd best catcher on the team. Too many ball get by him and he doesn't help his pitcher much on borderline pitches - the way he yanks the ball back into the strikes zone. You have to be more subtle than hat to get some calls. Yost has been excellent for sure.
As for the infield, only Caglionone is a high quality defensive player, IMO. The other guys don't have much range at all. They're adequate, but not what Gatolr baseball has been used to over the years.

Reactions: Nicktheslick
Donay has come on strong with the bat once he got inserted into the starting lineup on a regular basis after Gaqrrison's injury. But he's clearly only th 3rd best catcher on the team. Too many ball get by him and he doesn't help his pitcher much on borderline pitches - the way he yanks the ball back into the strikes zone. You have to be more subtle than hat to get some calls. Yost has been excellent for sure.
As for the infield, only Caglionone is a high quality defensive player, IMO. The other guys don't have much range at all. They're adequate, but not what Gatolr baseball has been used to over the years.
Agree that our infield is functional other than cags. I do think shelnut is better than Thomas over there though. When Thomas was over there with Shelton it seemed like 3 out of 4 ground balls over there ended up hits.

Shelton plays good enough d considering his bat at SS. Donay is a pretty impressive athlete, jumping around back there at 6’7. In any event, his bat has to be in the lineup.

Agree that our infield is functional other than cags. I do think shelnut is better than Thomas over there though. When Thomas was over there with Shelton it seemed like 3 out of 4 ground balls over there ended up hits.

Shelton plays good enough d considering his bat at SS. Donay is a pretty impressive athlete, jumping around back there at 6’7. In any event, his bat has to be in the lineup.
Agree with both points you made. Shelnutt is a very versatile player - OF, 3B, 1B.

Hard to win series in baseball when you’ve got a bunch of timebombs in your bullpen and you don’t know where or when they’re going to go off. Game is 3-1 in the fifth and you look up and it’s 13-3. What did they run a pick back for a touchdown or something.

Hard to win series in baseball when you’ve got a bunch of timebombs in your bullpen and you don’t know where or when they’re going to go off. Game is 3-1 in the fifth and you look up and it’s 13-3. What did they run a pick back for a touchdown or something.
Ryan Slater and Cade Fisher were money out of the bullpen last year. For whatever reason, they have regressed this year and have been awful most of the time.

Reactions: bradleygator
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT