ADVERTISEMENT

FSU hires Taggart

Apparently Leavitt is staying at Oregon. Looks like the FSU plan backfired. No Leavitt or Cristobal? Oops

We knew cristobal was a long shot but i think they were expecting Leavitt. what has Leavitt done to earn the mill that we are about to pay him? His defenses havent necessarily blown the doors off teams. Hes a great coach but im not sure how good or bad he would be. To me its a non issue if we get the right guy. Similar to the Gators, chip and frost, ooos. Well you got Mullen is very good

Anyone and i mean anyone who pays 1.7 mill for Leavitt as DC is insane!

Does FSU even hire Taggert if they knew they wouldn’t get at least one of Cristobal or Leavitt?

No Leavitt or Mario. Haha, those were the only scary parts about the hire. Love it
Many people assume that is the main reason Taggert was even hired to begin with. He apparently told FSU admin that at least 1 would come with him.

Many people assume that is the main reason Taggert was even hired to begin with. He apparently told FSU admin that at least 1 would come with him.
Good to see the nolies are starting off with another snake oil salesman...what a freaking dumpster fire.

Go Canes!

I've never heard the WT told the admin. that his Oregon staff was coming. Is this your supposition or is there a link? I did see where many FSU posters on various sites were hoping to get Mario and Leavitt. I never posted that but admit it was something that sounded good to me. It was my opinion that FSU needed a near complete revamp of assistants. Many assistants can't yet be openly discussed until after bowls.

Reactions: Nolebra Kai
Mario was not a realistic thought. Leavitt was presumably choice #1 but I suspect Willie had/has others in mind just in case. He will get his guys, FSU will boat race UF again next season, and things will be just like they should be. :)

I've never heard the WT told the admin. that his Oregon staff was coming. Is this your supposition or is there a link? I did see where many FSU posters on various sites were hoping to get Mario and Leavitt. I never posted that but admit it was something that sounded good to me. It was my opinion that FSU needed a near complete revamp of assistants. Many assistants can't yet be openly discussed until after bowls.
I believe Newberg said something to that effect.

I believe Newberg said something to that effect.

I dont think u ever hire a head coach just to get assistants...why wouldnt we just hire them 1st as the head coach. Im not sold on Taggart. He has turned every school around but he only has 1 yr at power 5. He seems to love recruiting and our last weekend tripled or quadrupled in talent because of the hard work that he put in. As i said, im not sold on him but time will tell

Got it. Have him (assuming you are talking about FSU#s) and insta blocked.

Your question implies you think Taggart was the best available but your top choice(s) were already taken or not available?

I'm not surprised that Leavitt is staying at Oregon.

He's 61 and is probably happy where he is. Moving to FSU would be close to a lateral move, unless they gave him a big raise. He's already making over a million at Oregon -- which is twice what any FSU assistant coaches are making. I don't think FSU can afford to make it worthwhile for him.

Got it. Have him (assuming you are talking about FSU#s) and insta blocked.

Your question implies you think Taggart was the best available but your top choice(s) were already taken or not available?

#'s has mentioned throwing chicken fingers at Jimbo's staff from his club level seats. He's bragged about yelling so loud at Charles Kelly from his seats that he knows Kelly heard him. I think he is lying but that's a different ball of wax. On the previous page he said:

"Lol this is what is funny to me. People bitched at him(Jimbo) for 8 yrs about trickett and 4 yrs about kelly, he kept saying how great they were and then he moves and they dont even get offers.... Ouch"

I am pointing out that the coach he prefers, the "10 win machine", was not capable of trading in old tires for new tires. To me that is a major flaw with a guy running the show and being paid top 6 money as a HC. He prefers a coach that whined and cried for everything possible at FSU yet he ridicules FSU fans for acting like his preferred coach. I was just curious who he would have wanted as a coach, after Jimbo blinked and left, that was a realistic option.

Taggart was a top 3 choice for me. I liked Frost, Taggart and Pruitt in that order. I'd have been good with Saban, Dabo, Gundy, Franklin, etc. but I don't think those were viable.

WT without Cristobal, Leavett, and Arroyo is disappointing for sure. He lacks proven AND sustained P5 success. Jimbo proved he could recruit at a consistently elite level. Taggert will be hard pressed to exceed his success since only one guy recruited better than Jimbo over the same time period....Saban.

As I mentioned before, Mullen has the higher floor with a decent chance of a high ceiling. WT is a boom or bust guy, imo. It is scary to think he may be bringing in a green or not as high a quality OC and DC. There might be a lot of on the job training and it could cost FSU for years to come.

The good news is the cupboard is not bare and WT has some elite players to work with. Patience and hope are the buzz words for FSU fans right now because this hire is not a slam dunk...

WT without Cristobal, Leavett, and Arroyo is disappointing for sure. He lacks proven AND sustained P5 success. Jimbo proved he could recruit at a consistently elite level. Taggert will be hard pressed to exceed his success since only one guy recruited better than Jimbo over the same time period....Saban.

As I mentioned before, Mullen has the higher floor with a decent chance of a high ceiling. WT is a boom or bust guy, imo. It is scary to think he may be bringing in a green or not as high a quality OC and DC. There might be a lot of on the job training and it could cost FSU for years to come.

The good news is the cupboard is not bare and WT has some elite players to work with. Patience and hope are the buzz words for FSU fans right now because this hire is not a slam dunk...
I agree with this.

Are you hearing he gets five years minimum....lol

But seriously, nice to read an honest assertion. I think losing Leavitt is a huge miss. I know when WT was hired I think there was more buzz about having Leavitt in to right the defense than there was anything about WT himself.

And you hit on my major point about WT in that his major hype is recruiting but Jimbo was already an elite recruiter behind Saban and Urb. So really, the bump for FSU needed to come in scheme and coaching.

Are you hearing he gets five years minimum....lol

But seriously, nice to read an honest assertion. I think losing Leavitt is a huge miss. I know when WT was hired I think there was more buzz about having Leavitt in to right the defense than there was anything about WT himself.

And you hit on my major point about WT in that his major hype is recruiting but Jimbo was already an elite recruiter behind Saban and Urb. So really, the bump for FSU needed to come in scheme and coaching.

Agreed that WT could not be expected to recruit to FSU consistently better than JF, and WT does not have the X's and O's pedigree to match JF either. If WT brings in solid assistants, Cristobal and Leavitt notwithstanding, FSU could compensate for a downgrade in X and O abilities. I've not mentioned before another consideration was JF did some nice fund raising, but much was for Franconia anemia (who could fault him), where WT could focus for FSU.

Had FSU hired Leavitt we would have heard he ruined a kid after hitting him followed by he is too old and that FSU overpaid. You are the same guys that gave Jimbo next to no credit for owning your ass. Oh, and of course there is michi crying for all FSU fans here to come forward after speaking poorly about Mullen which I still don't really recall happening. The fact you guys are so hung up on Willie and his potential staff leads me to believe you're somewhat afraid of the unknown.

Had FSU hired Leavitt we would have heard he ruined a kid after hitting him followed by he is too old and that FSU overpaid. You are the same guys that gave Jimbo next to no credit for owning your ass. Oh, and of course there is michi crying for all FSU fans here to come forward after speaking poorly about Mullen which I still don't really recall happening. The fact you guys are so hung up on Willie and his potential staff leads me to believe you're somewhat afraid of the unknown.

The fact you are on a Gators board discussing coaches tells me you know your rightful role as little brother

michi, it is a public board. Free for everyone. Rivals post on rival boards 7 days a week.

And kelly is STILL whining like a 3 year old over the loss of his man crush jimbo. Dude, I know you thought you had a shot with him when he got divorced, but you really didn't. Face it, he just isn't in to you.

NOBODY knows how ANY of the relocated coaches are going to work out. Not Taggert, Mullin, kelley, Cristobal, Jimbo etc., and we won't know for a few years. Perhaps you should stop crying, dry your eyes, pull up your big boy panties and find a new flame to follow while the adults wait to see what we have in our new coach(s).

The fact is Jimbo was a great recruiter but a lousy coach who had no idea what to do with the talent. It won't take a genius to have better game plans than he came up with and any new assistant coaches will be an improvement over the trash jimbo hung out with. Funny he isn't taking much of his staff with him. I wonder why that is?

Reactions: mcanes
Agreed that WT could not be expected to recruit to FSU consistently better than JF, and WT does not have the X's and O's pedigree to match JF either. If WT brings in solid assistants, Cristobal and Leavitt notwithstanding, FSU could compensate for a downgrade in X and O abilities. I've not mentioned before another consideration was JF did some nice fund raising, but much was for Franconia anemia (who could fault him), where WT could focus for FSU.

"WT does not have the X's and O's pedigree to match JF". Really? Have you ever watched an FSU offense coached by jimbo that didn't have Winston in it? I might be able to match the X's and O's jimbo came up with. Jimbo's offense is unstoppable, or at least it was in the 70's when he learned it. Not so much in today's world.

And he also had an ace in the hole in his recruiting efforts called FSU. I suspect Taggert will recruit every bit as well as jimbo did, maybe even better as he is more relatable to today's players. What we have to see is can he do better with the talent than jimbo did. Let's see what this all looks like in 2020 and only then will we know what we have.

Reactions: mcanes

That isn't true at all. He was hoping he could bring Leavitt but he had a one year relationship with the guy and we were probably going to get him but Oregon really upped the offer. We offered $1.3.

Willie was the top of our list and i would have loved Leavitt but with the money we will have for a DC $1-1.3 Million he will hire a good one.

Cristobal to me was never going to happen. He's a Miami guy and wasnt going to leave unless a HC job came up.

Leavitt is the only one of those three I feel is a miss but we weren't going to offer $1.7 million.

Willie is a more proven HC at this point coming to FSU than Jimbo was. I agree that Mullen has a higher floor but I think Willie has a higher ceiling based on his recruiting ability and scheme he runs with our athletes.

We have $1-$1.3 million to offer a DC. He made a good hire at Oregon. No reason to think he cant or wont do it again.

Agree with all of this. Save I am not as certain that Mullen has a high ceiling.

Had FSU hired Leavitt we would have heard he ruined a kid after hitting him followed by he is too old and that FSU overpaid.

FSU could not afford him.

You are the same guys that gave Jimbo next to no credit for owning your ass.

I give him credit for that. A FSU coach can cover up a lot of meH by consistently beating Florida.

The fact you guys are so hung up on Willie and his potential staff leads me to believe you're somewhat afraid of the unknown.

Hung up? No, we are making fun of you guys. Why. Because rivalry. And also by any measure, Florida experienced an upgrade in both coaching and recruiting. At best FSU went sideways in recruiting and has a demonstrable downgrade at coaching

Agree with all of this. Save I am not as certain that Mullen has a high ceiling.
High ceiling meaning what? What would you consider the limits of Mullen here? Anything short of being in the conversation for National Championships won't sit well with our fans.

I fully expect us to be in contention by his third year. I don't expect Mullen to be as good as Saban who led Alabama back to relevance in his second year and dominate from that point on. I do think this is a top five job with our recruiting base and history. With our facilities improving I don't see a hard long climb.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT