ADVERTISEMENT

FSU hires Taggart

Mullen, more proven at a P5 school. Florida ties, High floor.

Taggert, bounced around quite a bit turning around a couple AAC programs. Just above .500 record in first year at P5 school. He can recruit, but solid Jimbo. He is taking over a lot of talent. I just hope he can put together a solid organization that can be sustained. The one big concern many had about Fisher was could he sustain an elite program, not just rebuild one. Well, Taggert is an even bigger question mark in that area. Potentially high ceiling, but also a high bust potential.
Rational

As long as your are happy that UF took a few steps up and that FSU, at best, took a modest step back.

Wait you shat on Jimbo for eight years. How Finebaum of you to play the hypocrite card now.

Mullen is the best hire you’ve had since Meyer but he doesn’t scare us. Willie was our number one guy. He’s the perfect fit for you but he’s not for us. I️ wouldn’t want him over Willie.

You just can’t take a compliment. We don’t want your guy as much as you don’t want ours. It will be fun especially in recruiting..

Wait you shat on Jimbo for eight years. How Finebaum of you to play the hypocrite card now.
I used to think you were a smart guy. No more. Jimbo, for all his faults, is demonstrably better than Taggart.

Mullen is the best hire you’ve had since Meyer but he doesn’t scare us. Willie was our number one guy. He’s the perfect fit for you but he’s not for us. I️ wouldn’t want him over Willie.

You just can’t take a compliment. We don’t want your guy as much as you don’t want ours. It will be fun especially in recruiting..
Of course you will take him over Mullen. You have no choice.
Both men have been HCs about the same length of time. Compare records and recruiting rankings. Then let's talk.

@Nolebra Kai i have found conversating with MJ jus drops my IQ so i no longer do it. He tries to troll but he is just so bad at it that its hard to watch. Its like a non cool kid trying to be cool. We have our table, sit with nerds and try not to be too stupid. Ok @MJWilliamson

Reactions: tnole903
I don't think there is any doubt that Fisher is a better coach versus Taggert. Taggert is a step back from Fisher. If you cannot see the track record of both, etc then blinders must be selling like hotcakes at the dollar store. Now, does that mean Taggert cannot duplicate or even do better than what Jimbo did at FSU? Of course not. Taggert has a very limited history. He turned around a couple AAC programs and got his only P5 team to just over .500 with a few blowout losses along the way. Hardly a slam dunk. He also has not shown any sustainability since he has job hopped his entire head coaching career. Remember, many FSU folks were 'down' on Fisher because it seemed like he was not going to be able to sustain what he did in his first five seasons. Well, FSU just hired a guy who has not been able to prove he can do it, either. Hi seat at every head coaching job barely warmed up before he was gone to the next one.

Despite all the silly comments by FSU's AD about "you will be surprised by who is interested in this job" and "we are looking for the best candidates", etc, We all know Taggert was targeted from the beginning and there was not much of a search for anyone else unless Taggert decided he did not want the FSU job.

The whole ‘Willie was our number one guy’ is the ****ing lamest line I have ever seen. So we tried for Chip and missed. That in no way diminishes the Mullen hire. Just because you guys never considered one of the best coaches in CFB over the past decade doesn’t make Taggart any better. But again, continue to spin your new head coach with a career losing record like you just hired Saban.

Or here is a novel idea, go to the FSU board and talk about the hire instead of looking for some sort of validation here that you are never going to get

Last edited:
Taggart doesn't seem like a bad hire, he seems to be on an upward trajectory, but still very much unproven at this level. We know first hand what it is like to have guys that simply are not up to the job to manage a major program, and Taggart simply does not have a resume to prove that he can. If I were nole, I would be concerned that so much of the decision seems to be based on ability to recruit, when that is something that hasn't been an issue at fsu. Time will answer these questions, noles will always spin no matter what, and they will always be little brother...

Taggart doesn't seem like a bad hire, he seems to be on an upward trajectory, but still very much unproven at this level. We know first hand what it is like to have guys that simply are not up to the job to manage a major program, and Taggart simply does not have a resume to prove that he can. If I were nole, I would be concerned that so much of the decision seems to be based on ability to recruit, when that is something that hasn't been an issue at fsu. Time will answer these questions, noles will always spin no matter what, and they will always be little brother...

That was my point. At UF, after the Mac years, Taggart would have improved the talent pool significantly. FSU really can’t take recruiting much higher unless they somehow think Taggart will outrecruit Meyer and Saban (and he won’t). So I don’t think its as much Taggart v Mullen as the UF net gain is higher. Plus for 8 years we have heard about Jimbo, the god of the QB development and now UF hires arguably the best QB developer in the business and he sucks because his record is only .600 at MSU. Now suddenly all he brings is a failure because a guy with a sub-.500 record comes in. Its all spin.

Reactions: djegators
@Nolebra Kai i have found conversating[sic] with MJ jus[sic] drops my IQ so i no longer do it. He tries to troll but he is just so bad at it that its hard to watch. Its like a non cool kid trying to be cool. We have our table, sit with nerds and try not to be too stupid. Ok @MJWilliamson
Ah! The irony! The ad hoc advisor, who has smugly insisted on abbreviating genuine English words that're as short as 3 letters (elsewhere on ITG), is at least "stupid" enough to believe that the circular contruction "conversating"[†] is valid English. Is this an example of "non cool kid[s ]" who are "trying to be cool" by adopting the bureaucratic habit of using a word with more syllables instead of a straightforward one with fewer syllables? The proper word for its quoted usage is "conversing" (i.e., the present participle from the infinitive "to converse").

This example is worth remembering whenever "fsu939913" tries to intimidate by waving his allegedly multiple earned college degrees in the (figurative) faces of readers in ITG. It's not all all obvious to me how he would qualify for the "nerds"' table. Be that as it may, he should take ownership of his peculiar failings, and certainly ought not blame them on "conversating with MJ[Williamson]".

-------
Note †: An invalid word in English, apparently intended as a present participle cluelessly derived from the valid noun "conversation", from the valid infinitive "to converse". The valid words are straightforward Anglicizations that are barely changed from their origins at least as far back as classical Latin (thus Latin formation rules).

Last edited:
Reactions: MJWilliamson
That was my point. At UF, after the Mac years, Taggart would have improved the talent pool significantly. FSU really can’t take recruiting much higher unless they somehow think Taggart will outrecruit Meyer and Saban (and he won’t). So I don’t think its as much Taggart v Mullen as the UF net gain is higher. Plus for 8 years we have heard about Jimbo, the god of the QB development and now UF hires arguably the best QB developer in the business and he sucks because his record is only .600 at MSU. Now suddenly all he brings is a failure because a guy with a sub-.500 record comes in. Its all spin.
Noles gotta Nole.

From another board FWIW:

Leavitt can’t leave Oregon at the moment. He’s got a clause in his contract that he can’t speak to other teams until Oregon’s season is over. That’s why they named Cristobal IHC. They knew Leavitt couldn’t leave. They’re trying to keep both.

Reactions: mcanes
From another board FWIW:

Leavitt can’t leave Oregon at the moment. He’s got a clause in his contract that he can’t speak to other teams until Oregon’s season is over. That’s why they named Cristobal IHC. They knew Leavitt couldn’t leave. They’re trying to keep both.

That could be very awkward unless they present the head coaching job to them. Most new head coaches coming in want their own OC and DC. The position coaches can sometimes carry over easily. Neither Cristobal or Leavitt will stay at Oregon as a position coach.

michi, I am pretty sure you are more obsessed with Taggart than most FSU fans. You have gone full short bus the last week. I am still waiting to see where we all bad mouthed Mullen here. Was it in one of the Chip Kelly or Rich Rod threads?

Reactions: dakid_0812
While I agree that it's difficult to improve on FSU's recruiting over the last few years, part of that was assisted by Miami being a dumpster fire for most of that time, along with Muschamp failing to recruit offensive talent.

Dalvin Cook flipped to FSU from UF in 2013, the year that UF went 4-8 and Muschamp was fired. Cook was a major factor in keeping FSU decent after Jameis was drafted. In 2015, we basically didn't have a QB since Golsen flopped and we had to rely on the backup QB Maguire.

Basically, it would not be wise for FSU to become complacent on recruiting. Being a big "brand" program only goes so far. And, historically, the Gator and Hurricane brands are just as strong as FSU's. If the recruits don't like the coach, and don't want to play for him, you have a problem.

Ah! The irony! The ad hoc advisor, who has smugly insisted on abbreviating genuine English words that're as short as 3 letters (elsewhere on ITG), is at least "stupid" enough to believe that the circular contruction "conversating"[†] is valid English. Is this an example of "non cool kid[s ]" who are "trying to be cool" by adopting the bureaucratic habit of using a word with more syllables instead of a straightforward one with fewer syllables? The proper word for its quoted usage is "conversing" (i.e., the present participle from the infinitive "to converse").

This example is worth remembering whenever "fsu939913" tries to intimidate by waving his allegedly multiple earned college degrees in the (figurative) faces of readers in ITG. It's not all all obvious to me how he would qualify for the "nerds"' table. Be that as it may, he should take ownership of his peculiar failings, and certainly ought not blame them on "conversating with MJ[Williamson]".

-------
Note †: An invalid word in English, apparently intended as a present participle cluelessly derived from the valid noun "conversation", from the valid infinitive "to converse". The valid words are straightforward Anglicizations that are barely changed from their origins at least as far back as classical Latin (thus Latin formation rules).

Tldr

Kelly gets it

It is what you get from me. I try to be as objective as possible with both programs. Funny thing is, if you are not in the "I hate Jimbo" circle jerk party at TOS then you are going to be marginalized at every opportunity. Many have no clue on how to look at things objectively. A few will come over here with the nonsense, but they know it will get challenged unlike elsewhere.

Look, again, Taggert could end up being good. His track record, however, is rather incomplete with zero evidence he can sustain a program. FSU needs little "rebuilding". It just needs some leadership with a coaching staff and players with a full buy in. The admins/boosters also need to get their heads out of the sand and actually communicate with their head coach on at least a weekly basis to avoid surprises at the end of every year. Jimbo is an alpha personality and he was going to get what he wanted during the year or at the end of each season via other teams' interests. FSU continually reacting instead of getting proactive coupled with Jimbo's aggressive agenda were a terrible match. I really think FSU was looking for someone who is not going to challenge them and just go about coaching the team.

I just hope it works out cause they did not look very hard at anyone else,,,

Last edited:
Just a little FYI --

The cow-Chip and Frost were both 'smoke & mirrors' before the former MsSt AD, current UF AD Stricklin, hired his 1st choice, MsSt HC Mullen. Otherwise they all end up with the 'Mr. Obvious' title hanging around their necks.... :rolleyes:

Why would I say that you might ask? o_O

BGSU Pres. to Utah.
Meyer from BGSU to Utah the next year.
Utah Pres. to UF.
Meyer from Utah to UF the next year.
Seeing the patterns yet? ;)

Anyone that really believes that the cow-Chip was Stricklin's 1st choice, and that Frost was his 2nd choice, before he hired his Dan-3rd choice,,, is welcome to their clueless delusions... :cool:

Just a little FYI --

The cow-Chip and Frost were both 'smoke & mirrors' before the former MsSt AD, current UF AD Stricklin, hired his 1st choice, MsSt HC Mullen. Otherwise they all end up with the 'Mr. Obvious' title hanging around their necks.... :rolleyes:

Why would I say that you might ask? o_O

BGSU Pres. to Utah.
Meyer from BGSU to Utah the next year.
Utah Pres. to UF.
Meyer from Utah to UF the next year.
Seeing the patterns yet? ;)

Anyone that really believes that the cow-Chip was Stricklin's 1st choice, and that Frost was his 2nd choice, before he hired his Dan-3rd choice,,, is welcome to their clueless delusions... :cool:
I don't think we can know for sure that what you say is the absolute truth, but the logic and reasoning makes perfect sense to me.

I don't think we can know for sure that what you say is the absolute truth, but the logic and reasoning makes perfect sense to me.

I understand ocala. I'm not claiming to KNOW in fact, it just seems to me to be the overwhelming possibility, when looking at 60+ years of evidence on how things are done... I fully accept that I could be incorrect in my speculation and it's just my own opinion, as always. :cool:

These arguments against Taggart would make more sense if FSU had fired Jimbo.

But Jimbo left on his own. FSU probably would have been happy to keep him around forever if he got back to averaging around 9-10 wins per season. Are you saying that we should have paid Jimbo $75 million for a guaranteed 10 years instead of letting him walk?

We are not arguing against Taggart. We are merely saying he is not as good as Jimbo. That he is a step down. I have yet to hear a cogent argument why that is not true. You are a smart guy, unlike many if not most of your brethern. Can you give us one?

Last edited:
Reactions: fsu939913
We are not arguing against Taggart. We are merely saying he is not as good as Jimbo. That he is a step down. I have yet to hear a comment argument why that is not true. You are a smart guy, unlike many if not most of your brethern. Can you give us one?

At this point in time I do not feel that WT is JF's equal except perhaps and importantly as a recruiter. Jimbo refused to delegate as a Dabo CEO type , acted as his own OC , and generally over-stretched himself , and allowed parts of his staff to stagnate, WT is much more of the CEO type, and the hope is that the sums of the improved assistants will compensate for the lack of WT experience at the highest X and O level when compared to JF. There was considerable concern that JF's trajectory had peaked and might be on the decline.

Reactions: RentechCEO
The whole ‘Willie was our number one guy’ is the ****ing lamest line I have ever seen. So we tried for Chip and missed. That in no way diminishes the Mullen hire. Just because you guys never considered one of the best coaches in CFB over the past decade doesn’t make Taggart any better. But again, continue to spin your new head coach with a career losing record like you just hired Saban.

Or here is a novel idea, go to the FSU board and talk about the hire instead of looking for some sort of validation here that you are never going to get

LOL spot f'ing on. There is NOTHING wrong with swinging for the fences and then still hiring a DAM good coach. Mullen might have been the best fit for UF. Even better than Chip. The number 1 choice thing is the dumbest argument i have ever heard.

We are not arguing against Taggart. We are merely saying he is not as good as Jimbo. That he is a step down. I have yet to hear a cogent argument why that is not true. You are a smart guy, unlike many if not most of your brethern. Can you give us one?

I actually agree. WT is 100% a step down from Jimbo. Maybe recruiting he is around the same but i have yet to see Willie win 29 straight games and a national title

From another board FWIW:

We could buy him out...obviously but why do that when we can wait. Would anyone? We still have our DC until the bowl as well. So there would be no point. Its a win win

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT