ADVERTISEMENT

Feleipe Franks Officially Gator

I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to see Franks start by the UT game next year.

I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to see Franks start by the UT game next year.

Lets hope not. We need to get out of this seemingly perpetual cycle of playing QB's before they're ready in shitty situations. 100k on the road for a first start? That has disaster written all over it. If he's gonna start they need to ease him in.

Lets hope not. We need to get out of this seemingly perpetual cycle of playing QB's before they're ready in shitty situations. 100k on the road for a first start? That has disaster written all over it. If he's gonna start they need to ease him in.
He's an EE and I imagine they will ease him in by giving him PT in the first few games. Right now the only other options are Del Rio and Harris.

McElwainisms
1 hr ·

One day after the loss to FSU, Mac goes out and gets a 6'5" 350 lbs. offensive lineman (Jawaan Taylor) once committed to Miami, a speedy receiver who runs a 4.34 40-yard dash (Dre Massey), and an All-American 6'6" quarterback once committed to LSU (Feleipe Franks). Oh, and he also personally drove the top 2016 kicker Eddy Pineiro around Gainesville. How's that for a quick response to the three weakest parts of our team? Check out Pineiro's 73 yard field goal...

https://twitter.com/...270031375642624

Macavalanche! (I think I am the first that coined the phrase)

Depending on how things go in the Spring, both TH and WG may xfer out.... o_O

#32 QB-PP Kyle Trask
6-6 218 Fr *** - Manvel, TX (a Nussmeyer rated 5 Star, EE)

Offers: UF -- (a sleeper at backup QB that McNuss ID'ed and offered.
Sr season backup QB: P - 73%, 624 yds, 8 TD's, 0 Ints. - R - 56 yds,1 TD.
HS Career: 138 for 1,600 yds, 11.6 yds/att, 15 TD's, ZERO Int's.

#3 QB-PP Feleipe Franks 6-6 219 Fr **** 6.0 EE - Crawfordville, FL
Offers: UF - LSU, UA, UGA, MsSt, VU -- FSU, Clem, GaTech, NC, TX, UCF, UT.

NOTE: The SEC now has 5 of the Top 8 Rivals Classes.

Last edited:
Yes. He has talent. Big arm, nice over the top release, etc. He's not my preferred QB take though, as if that matters. He's just not athletic enough for my liking. I want a QB who is a passer first but can also make plus outside the pocket. They're much harder to defend and even the NFL is trending that direction with QB's. Guys who are primarily pocket passers put way too much pressure on the oline to protect them, also gives the defense and easy it when rushing because they know where he'll be every down.

I have no issue with Franks. It's just all a matter of preference. I'd like the commit a whole lot better if they were letting Trask go though and getting a second QB with some top notch athleticism. Then let them battle it out and may the best man win.

This.

A verbal commitment is not Official. There's a lot of time between now and signing day and these young kids and their egos can be very fickle. Franks was "official" to LSU last week, right? And the CB Meyers was "official" to UF until today. The coaches seem to be putting together a pretty good class, but we won't how good until national signing day and even then the true quality won't be known for 2-3 years. As for the QB situation, I expect Luke Del Rio to be the opening day starter. It's just too much to expect a kid still playing high school ball to come in and start. I know it's happened, but the better bet is on an older guy who's already played some. How good he will be, only time will tell. Our schedule next year is very favorable, especially considering how tough they normally are. At Tennessee & At Arkansas, plus LSU at home and At FSU are the games I see as most challenging. The other 3 OOC games are true cupcakes.

Reactions: CompuGator
A verbal commitment is not Official. There's a lot of time between now and signing day and these young kids and their egos can be very fickle. Franks was "official" to LSU last week, right? And the CB Meyers was "official" to UF until today. The coaches seem to be putting together a pretty good class, but we won't how good until national signing day and even then the true quality won't be known for 2-3 years. As for the QB situation, I expect Luke Del Rio to be the opening day starter. It's just too much to expect a kid still playing high school ball to come in and start. I know it's happened, but the better bet is on an older guy who's already played some. How good he will be, only time will tell. Our schedule next year is very favorable, especially considering how tough they normally are. At Tennessee & At Arkansas, plus LSU at home and At FSU are the games I see as most challenging. The other 3 OOC games are true cupcakes.

He's going to EE which means he will be putting together his financial aid packet and enrolling in classes like, now.

As for what Franks does, I either want him to be the no-doubt starter day 1 or redshirt. Why waste a year for less than the starting job? If he's the day 1 starter, then Grier will probably transfer. If he redshirts, then the first half of next year is gonna suuuuuuuck.

QB-PP Kyle Trask 6-6 218 - Early Enrollee

QB-PP Feleipe Franks 6-6 219 - Early Enrollee

I expect one of them to be the starter by game 2-3.

Del Rio (2016 rsJr) has already proven to be 'not good enough' to be the starter at two other schools. I don't want to see time wasted on a weak upperclassman instead of invested in a high potential true freshman.
TOP Quality QB's start all the time as true freshmen.
IF neither Trask or Franks is a Top QB, then we are coasting until game 7 in 2016....

Franks is now pissed that we are heavily pursuing Eason. Again our staff better be careful. I wouldn't risk losing Franks myself to chase a longshot from the other side of the country.

Reactions: instaGATOR
Meh, whatever. One thing I've always agreed with Spurrier on is not treating the QB position different from any other position. Stack the roster and mah the best man win. It's like that at EVERY single position, why should QB be any different? Especially since QB is the most important position on the field. Missing on one guy can set you back years. None of these QB's have proven anything. It's in Mac's best interest to get as much talent on the team as possible, not worry about one dudes feelings.

Reactions: RD_Gator
However, did someone promise Franks the starting job?

Is Frank's unwilling to join in an OPEN competition for the job?

IF he is truly pissed about it, then maybe he's better off not being a Gator. Maybe he should also consider that even TT was not just 'given' the starting job as a true freshman....

Either compete, or use your feet.... o_O

"Feleipe Franks committed to Florida a few days ago, and he isn’t thrilled about reports that Jacob Eason, the longtime UGA commit, will take an official visit with the Gators, beginning today.

Franks, a 4-star QB from Wakulla High School (Crawfordville, Fla.), was asked how he felt about Eason visiting Florida.

“Not good,” Franks told SEC Country."

Meh, whatever. One thing I've always agreed with Spurrier on is not treating the QB position different from any other position. Stack the roster and mah the best man win. It's like that at EVERY single position, why should QB be any different? Especially since QB is the most important position on the field. Missing on one guy can set you back years. None of these QB's have proven anything. It's in Mac's best interest to get as much talent on the team as possible, not worry about one dudes feelings.

Want to agree ooze, but times are sifferent. Not often do two top QBs in the same class go to the same school, and like Paco said, don't want just Trask in this class. I wiuld keep Franks because IMO he wants to be here, and because he is Macs choice and the other two are Nuss guys.

All that said I Would trade Trask, Franks, Eason and Allen combined for the kid Tennessee has coming in or Haskins. Now if Richt went to MD and Eason followed, could we nab Haskins?

"Feleipe Franks committed to Florida a few days ago, and he isn’t thrilled about reports that Jacob Eason, the longtime UGA commit, will take an official visit with the Gators, beginning today.

Franks, a 4-star QB from Wakulla High School (Crawfordville, Fla.), was asked how he felt about Eason visiting Florida.

“Not good,” Franks told SEC Country."

This is so un-Mac like.

Franks may want to wait a bit. There is a lot of internet chatter about some additional attrition at some Florida positions

Want to agree ooze, but times are sifferent. Not often do two top QBs in the same class go to the same school, and like Paco said, don't want just Trask in this class. I wiuld keep Franks because IMO he wants to be here, and because he is Macs choice and the other two are Nuss guys.

All that said I Would trade Trask, Franks, Eason and Allen combined for the kid Tennessee has coming in or Haskins. Now if Richt went to MD and Eason followed, could we nab Haskins?

I just can't be bothered to care; regardless of who the QB is. I understand why they want it that way, only one of them can play at a time. It's in their best interest to be the only guy in their class. But that type of recruiting is what eff programs if that one kid doesn't work out. See Texas for an example. To hell with that. Compete or bounce. We need all the talent we can. We can't afford to miss on a QB with our current situation. So we need to stack the deck in our favor.

I just can't be bothered to care; regardless of who the QB is. I understand why they want it that way, only one of them can play at a time. It's in their best interest to be the only guy in their class. But that type of recruiting is what eff programs if that one kid doesn't work out. See Texas for an example. To hell with that. Compete or bounce. We need all the talent we can. We can't afford to miss on a QB with our current situation. So we need to stack the deck in our favor.

Agreed. Florida's offense has again been ranked in the 90s-100s for like the 5th or 6th season in a row. It's in the best interest of UF to stock up on as many quality players as possible at all positions including quarterback. In 2016, UF will have the following QB's:
Will Grier (rSO)
Treon Harris (Jr) <--- Current Starter!
Luke Del Rio (rJr) <-- Favorite to start next season
------------------------------------------------------
?Felipe Franks (Fr) <--- Could red-shirt.

There should be at least one year of separation between highly talented quarterbacks!

Two top rated QBs don't sign with the same school in the same year, it just doesn't happen. So if Eason chooses the Good Guys he needs to be an EE imho. With our dire situation at quarterback, I don't want to lose a guy as talented as Franks who wants to be here for some kid who may change his mind on NSD. ijs

With that said, why in the hell are we giving a scholly to a kid who can't even start on his on damn team. I mean come on Mac...!:eek:

Reactions: DLinOrlando
Two top rated QBs don't sign with the same school in the same year, it just doesn't happen. So if Eason chooses the Good Guys he needs to be an EE imho. With our dire situation at quarterback, I don't want to lose a guy as talented as Franks who wants to be here for some kid who may change his mind on NSD. ijs

With that said, why in the hell are we giving a scholly to a kid who can't even start on his on damn team. I mean come on Mac...!:eek:

Agree, to all of it

Again very rarely do two highly rated QB prospects go sign to the same school in the same year. It doesn't happen that way anymore. You sign 1 highly decorated prospect and one guy that maybe you can develop.

What happens if you now strike out on both Franks and Eason and just end up with Trask? Mac would likely be out of a job in a few years if that happens. I just think the staff is playing with fire a little bit. Take Franks who is a Florida boy and an EE and then you have Jake Allen for 2017. Mac isn't in a position to strike out on a QB in this class. He won't be able to recover if that happens.

I agree but the issue is taking Trask. And honestly though Mac doesn't have much of a choice, he needs two top guys. Our roster next year is:

1. Grier
2. Harris

Grier is out for six games and there's no telling where he'll be when he gets back and Harris is just not even functional anymore. And that assuming he doesn't transfer in which case you have one top level QB...Grier. And he won't be available to start the season. So what's the alternative? We bring in Franks and Trask only we have a guy in Franks who according to any and everybody is raw and needs time and a guy whose second best offer is Texas San Antonio. So the season would basically hinge on Franks. What would you do if you were Mac? I damn sure wouldn't want my season hanging on that.

Even if Franks shines your depth chart will still end up being effed. If we go let's say 4-2 the first six games of next year and Franks plays well I can't see Mac benching him. Which means Grier is probably gone then we're left with Franks and Trask at the end of the season. And God forbid he regresses and its 2017 or 2018 before we have another viable option.

I agree with you guys that ordinarily you can't get two top QB's to come in one class. But we don't have a choice given what Muschamp left here. Once we get a decent depth chart then we can go back to signing one top guy a year. We're not in a position to put all our chips in one QB.

Harris isn't even better than Del Rio. Our starting QB next year for Game #1 is likely going to be Del Rio with a freshmen QB getting some snaps. Harris is likely going to transfer or change positions. The writing is on the wall.

What about Tolles from UK? He is transferring and graduates in December. Won't have to sit out a year. He would definitely be serviceable next year. He has a lot of tools...strong arm, runs well. He played behind a terrible line at kentucky.

Reactions: RD_Gator
I agree with Ooz on this. We need to take both top guys and then let the chips fall.
LOL. That would be great if you think by just saying "take both top guys" means it's gonna happen. Not one person is saying that wouldn't be great. BUT We aren't going to get both Eason and Franks. Forget it! Mac just better not lose Franks by chasing after a kid that has never been on our radar until Richt got fired.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT