ADVERTISEMENT

Charlotte vs UF

Kicker Trey Smack finished the day 5-for-5 (27-23-54-36-23) on his field goal attempts, including a 54-yarder midway through the second quarter to uplift Florida's struggling offensive attack. Trey had a FG in every quarter of the game, and 2 in the 2nd Qtr, with the 2nd being the 54 yarder. Trey is now doing what he should have been doing since about the middle of last season....
Trey also never allowed Charlotte to bring the ball out of the end zone on his kickoffs.
And Gator punter Crawshaw pinned the 49ers inside their own 20 on both of his attempts.
A great day for the Gator kickers.....

Hey, a really nice 'once in a career' kind of a one-handed catch by Ricky....
Hanging on to it while being double hit was huge, and the surprising part of that play.to me.
Another marginal throw by Graham, that was saved by a great play by the receiver.

BTW - Good for Boardingham, getting his first TD, that ended up being the ONLY TD....

Billy said that Odom was a little banged up so Billy decided to sit him and start Arlis instead.

However, the Gators were significantly plagued by their own inability to close out drives. The Gators were forced to opt for field goals on three straight possessions by a stout (are you chitting me) 49ers defense. Agravated by a Mertz fumble and a Douglas fumble...

Douglas is another guy with lots of talent that needs to spend more time working out in the gym, and maybe all of the receivers need to spend a little more time on the juggs machine?

Billy - "We moved the ball up and down the field. We've just got to have better red zone production." (a combination of the plays in the book, the play calls in the game, and QB-pp's game day performance imo). Graham is a good guy and teammate, but he's a marginal dink & dunk game manager QB-pp imo.

A 4 TD home favorite,,,,, UF 22 - 7 Charlotte.
As Granny Clampit would say; "Pit-ti-ful, plumb pit-ti-ful."
Billy - "Now, are we happy with everything that happened out there?
No. There's going to be lots of things that we can improve at."

The iG - "The guy running the program needs to make better personnel decisions.

Just my own stupid, amateurish un-paid opinion, but Billy still needs a QB-dt to run this years offense, and to prepare the entire team for the 2024 arrival of QB-dt Lagway. Otherwise, this is just another 5-6 win team struggling to even make a bottom level early Dec. type of bowl game..."
But hey, that was just ONE GAME, just like the Utah loss and the Tenn win.....

Still a Truism imo -- Gator fans can suffer a WIN better/worse than any other team's fans.... 😉
==========

Just a few selected game stats:

QB-pp Mertz - 20 of 23, 87% for 259 Yds, 1 TD, 0 Int, L-32

Rushing

Mertz - 8 for 22 Yds, loss 22 Yds, NET = 0 Yds with 3 Sacks.
MJ - 16 for 63 net Yds, 3.9 ypc, L-13
ET - 8 for 48 net Yds, 6.0 ypc, L-17
Webb - 1 for 2 Yds
Jean - 1 for 25 Yds

Receiving

Pearsall - 6 for 104 Yds, L-27
Douglas - 4 for 37 Yds, L-21
Jean - 1 for 32 Yds
Boardingham - 2 for 31 Yds, L-25, with a 6 Yd TD catch.
ET - 2 for 20 Yds, L-13
Fraziars - 2 for 18 Yds, L-13
K.Jackson - 1 for 18 Yds
M.Johnson 2 for -1 Yd, L-3
Eugene Wilson III - DNP
=====

Defense

Scooby 4/3-7, 1 FF
Shemar 2/3-5, 1 7 Yd Sack
Mitchell 4 Solo
C.Jordan 3/1-4
Nunnery 2/2-4
C.Jackson 3/1-4
Collins 2/1-3, 0.5 TFL, 0.5 Sack
Princely 2 Solo, 1 TFL, 1 Sack
Moten 1/1-2
Thornton 0/2-2, 0.5 TFL, 0.5 Sack
T.Mitchell 0/2-2
Banks 0/2-2, 1 TFL, 1 Sack

Next week at UK will fill in some more blanks on this years team.
GGoooooooooooooGATORS!
Mertz, Odom and ETN bright spots for offense this year. I expected Mertz to blow chunks but he has played very well. Billy's play calling is run heavy with short passes. Only 4 QBs in SEC have been sacked fewer times. Defense has been outstanding. Not bad considering there aren't many teams out there that have played 2 top 20 teams in their first 4 games. Schedule will be brutal down the stretch.

Newly minted Florida placekicker Trey Smack earned the SEC Special Teams Player of the Week award for his Week 4 play. Trey scored 16 Pts, rest of team 6 pts....

https://www.si.com/college/florida/...icker-trey-smack-special-teams-player-of-week
=====

Billy on the Charlotte game: "I think that we moved the ball really well throughout the day, created 19 explosive plays. We were over 11 yards a pass attempt. We were right at 5 a carry." ---
But Billy, remember that you were favored over a patsy team at home by 28 Pts... iG

"Maybe not playing to the expectation, and certainly I think that's kind of where we're at." --- Well Duh,,,, and maybe??? --- iG

There were 3 good things in that game in my own view. Trey's performance, the defense, and the Gator's won the game...

Gator defense: "I think they were a little over five rushing in the game, so a little bit better in that area. Their quarterback being able to run obviously affects those stats." -- Billy

So he seems to know and understand, but for whatever reason, he refuses to use that in his own offense this year??? -- iG

Newly minted Florida placekicker Trey Smack earned the SEC Special Teams Player of the Week award for his Week 4 play. Trey scored 16 Pts, rest of team 6 pts....

https://www.si.com/college/florida/...icker-trey-smack-special-teams-player-of-week
=====

Billy on the Charlotte game: "I think that we moved the ball really well throughout the day, created 19 explosive plays. We were over 11 yards a pass attempt. We were right at 5 a carry." ---
But Billy, remember that you were favored over a patsy team at home by 28 Pts... iG

"Maybe not playing to the expectation, and certainly I think that's kind of where we're at." --- Well Duh,,,, and maybe??? --- iG

There were 3 good things in that game in my own view. Trey's performance, the defense, and the Gator's won the game...

Gator defense: "I think they were a little over five rushing in the game, so a little bit better in that area. Their quarterback being able to run obviously affects those stats." -- Billy

So he seems to know and understand, but for whatever reason, he refuses to use that in his own offense this year??? -- iG

What did he say about only having 10 players on the field during 2 of Charlotte's kicks?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT