ADVERTISEMENT

Carry over to Gator 2023-24 Basketball :-)

At the half: UF 30 - 31 Merrimack

Ist Half Leaders:

Pt Condon 9, FG 2/5, FT 5/6, Min - 9

Reb Condon 4 O-2, D-2

Ast Haugh 3 --- 5 Pts - Min 8

Haugh & Condon need to be getting more minutes imo....
=====

Pullin - Pt 0 - 0/2, 3's 0/0, FT 0/0 - 1 RB, 0 Ast, 2 TO's, 1 Stl - Min 12

Richard - Pt 2 - 1/5, 3's 0/1, FT 0/0 - 3 RB, 1 Ast, 1 TO, 1 Stl, - Min 16

Aberdeen - Rotting on the bench? WTF-over???

Final Score: UF 77 - 57 Merrimack ---- (whew)

Games Team Leaders:

Clayton Pt's 26

Condon Rb's 16

Haugh & Pullin Ast's 3 each

Reactions: Nicktheslick
I turned that game on right before the half. The disappointment was intense! Golden made some nice adjustments, which was refreshing to see!

Since Billy D left (final losing season notwithstanding) we’ve lived on the tourney bubble. This team is looking like that may continue to be the case.

• Haha
Reactions: instaGATOR
Since Billy D left (final losing season notwithstanding) we’ve lived on the tourney bubble. This team is looking like that may continue to be the case.
Insta loves claiming Mike White turned Donovan's players into a an Elite Eight team back in 2017 when in fact he inherited those young players that Billy D would taken them far into the tourney anyway. No telling what would have been had Egbuno not suffered a career ending injury.

I must have the same selective memory. You were always yammering about Gak and posting absurd stats because he played 2 min/game like he averages 16 rebounds per 48 minutes.
Well that right there settles it then.

Dudleygoater and the Countrybumpkin1 agree wid each other,,, so it must all be true and in total context.....

😂 🤣 😂

You guys are forgetting how I also yammered about Egbunu and so many others, especially the bigs, missing time due to injuries.. Having these 3 injured out would never have bothered any other team/coach/program.
C Gorjok Gak 6-11 245
C John Egbunu 6-11 265
PF Keith Stone 6-8 245

Isn't it amazing that Mike White never had a losing season,
and he made a post season tourney every single year.

Feel free to list all of the other Gator Men's B-Ball coaches in UF history that have done that...... (crickets)

PS What's truly amazing is that I don't have to HATE Mike in order to hope that Todd eventually gets at least a winning record....

Last edited:

Diudleygoater and the Countrybumpkin1 agree wid each other,,, so it must all be true and in total context.....

😂 🤣 😂

You guys are forgetting how I also yammered about Egbunu and so many others, especially the bigs, missing time due to injuries.. Having these 3 injured out would never have bothered any other team/coach/program.
C Gorjok Gak 6-11 245
C John Egbunu 6-11 265
PF Keith Stone 6-8 245

Feel free to list all of the other Gator Men's B-Ball coaches in UF history that have done that...... (crickets)

PS What's truly amazing is that I don't have to HATE Mike in order to hope that Todd eventually gets at least a winning record....
I remember Keith Stone - He was smooth.

• Haha
Reactions: instaGATOR
PF Keith Stone 6-8 245

GAINESVILLE, Fla. -- Florida forward Keith Stone will have season-ending surgery after tearing the ACL in his left knee during a game at Georgia. The Gators announced the news Sunday, one day after their 62-52 victory in Athens and after Stone underwent further testing.

The 6-foot-8 junior from Deerfield Beach averaged 6.1 points and 3.9 rebounds in 17 games this season, including 13 starts. He scored eight points in nine minutes before landing awkwardly on his left leg while trying to block a shot against the Bulldogs.

Career Averaged 6.2 points and 3.4 rebounds in 85 career appearances with 39 starts.
Stone is an offensively gifted player with a soft touch that enables him to fill the stretch-4 role, shooting .394 from 3-point range as a Gator.
Moved into the starting lineup at the power forward for the majority of his sophomore year, posting three 20-point games.
Rated a four-star prospect by ESPN.

Dudleygoater and the Countrybumpkin1 agree wid each other,,, so it must all be true and in total context.....

😂 🤣 😂

C Gorjok Gak 6-11 245
C John Egbunu 6-11 265
PF Keith Stone 6-8 245

Mike White recruited pretty good and his teams competed. Ultimately his ceiling seemed to be .500 SEC team, which is not the worst thing but you’d like to see a little more upside. I’m getting some similar vibes from Golden unfortunately.

• Haha
Reactions: PacoGator19

😂 🤣 😂

C Gorjok Gak 6-11 245
C John Egbunu 6-11 265
PF Keith Stone 6-8 245

Now list the Gator hoops coaches that won some type of title, SEC East, SEC, Ncaa, etc...you can do it!!

• Haha
Reactions: gatordad3
These are the 2 best recruits, then freshmen performers, that have been brought into Men's B-Ball in a while,,, in the iG's OHO. --> Both Alex and Tommy have said post-game, that they don’t care about personal accolade. When you get 6-8 guys on a team with that attitude, then you've got a good chance at winning.

#32 C/PF Alex Condon 6-10 230 *** (now 6-11 230) - Perth, Australia

#42 PF/C Tommy Haugh 6-9 200 *** (now 6-9 210) - New Oxford, PA

Note: The iG is looking forward to the return to the playing roster of Soph:
PF/C Aleks (Shimmy) Szymczyk 6-10 250 No Ranking - Germany

=====

Golden on Hovde’s role in evaluating and recruiting the freshmen:
“Terrible. No, he’s, Hovde has a great understanding of the game of basketball. You guys are gonna get to visit with him in a second, but I think, you know, he, along with the other guys on our staff from my direction, like, the rankings don’t mean anything. Obviously it gives us a good pool to evaluate from, but at the end of the day it’s not an exact science, right. The No. 1 guy isn’t necessarily going to be the No. 1 guy, the No. 15 guy, you know, there’s a lot of moving parts there, and we want to do a good job of evaluating and being on the right side of those, and I think with Tommy and Condo I think it’s proven that we were, with both of those guys being ranked where they were when we recruited them, and I think SG Isaiah Brown 6-5 185 *** is going to be another really good example of that when he gets to campus next fall.

Also coming out of HS early (a HS Jr) for 2024:
C Olivier Rioux 7-6 300 *** (not fat, just really freakin' BIG)
The Guinness Book of Records has him as the tallest male teenager in the world.

And as the iG has often said, STARS and outside rankings don't matter, but quality recruits/people do matter!

Last edited:
Decent neutral court win for Gators today. Need to tighten up the defense, but even on a not so great shooting night we still almost hit the 90 mark.

It was great to see Will Richard have a great game. Tyrese Samuel, as well and Micah only played about half the time and still had double digit rebounds. Kugel still struggling with shooting, plus had 4 turnovers. He was 0-7 shooting 3's and just shoots way too much from the outside and just seems to be not with it sometimes.

And I still believe that Aberdeen needs to have some of those playing minutes....

C Olivier Rioux 7-7 300 *** (and still growing) 😲

Last edited:
UF Women's BB lost another game they should have won. Too much talent to be playing this selfish. Guards are jacking up wild shots, assists are down and we're not playing team defense. Getting beat, especially in the 4th quarter, by inferior teams.

Interesting stat, thru 9 games the men are ranked 34th in points per game. Averaging almost 84. And that is against some solid comp for a group of guys playing together for the first time. A quick peak and I see the Dawgs are 240th, 72 per game against a much weaker schedule. Hopefully we can maintain the high scoring offense and start to play better defense.

Interesting stat, thru 9 games the men are ranked 34th in points per game. Averaging almost 84. And that is against some solid comp for a group of guys playing together for the first time. A quick peak and I see the Dawgs are 240th, 72 per game against a much weaker schedule. Hopefully we can maintain the high scoring offense and start to play better defense.
I've felt the D is a little porous but also we have the right pieces to gel...we'll see.

Tonight at 7 PM, Gators vs E.Ca on SEC-Network.

The Bigs:
C Handlogten 7-1 235 So

C Condon 6-11 230 Fr

PF Samuel 6-10 239 Grad-Sr

PF Szymczyk 6-10 250 So (still out rehabbing foot)

PF/SF Haugh 6-9 210 Fr

The Rest:
CG/SF Kugel 6-5 207 So

CG/SF Aberdeen 6-5 190 So

SF/SG Rishwain 6-5 200 Grad-Sr

CG Pullin 6-4 206 Grad-Sr

CG/SF Richard 6-4 206 Jr

SG Klatsky 6-4 206 rsSr

PG May 6-4 195 rsJr

SG/SF Josefsberg 6-4 195 Fr

PG Clayton 6-3 195 Jr

PG Kublickas 6-2 171 Fr

PG Andersen 6-2 190 Sr

Last edited:
Clayton went off....kid is playing lights out. Need to watch the turnovers.

Clayton's two inopportune turnovers (choked under the pressure at the end) put the nail in Florida's coffin. Maybe they are missing Zyon more than I anticipated to begin with, and/or they need to be playing Aberdeen a bit more??.

Domination of the boards won the game. Kugel was a no show tonight and was on the bench in crunch time. Free throw shooting was horrendous and we had 18 turnovers to only 12 assists. But they found a way to hang on and win the game. A win is a win, but this team has too much talent to play as sloppy as they did tonight.

We have to get the win against Michigan. They aren't that good this season and another loss before SEC play would definitely make it tougher to get in the tournament.

For what's it's worth here are some Gator basketball stats (men's) as of today per NCAA.com. There are 351 teams.
#47 in scoring offense
#221 in scoring defense
#42 in fast break points
#157 in field goal %
#5 in rebounds per game
#4 in offensive rebounds per game
#11 in rebound margin
#238 in 3-point shooting
#274 in 3-point defense
#160 in assist to turnover ratio
#310 in free throw %

Seems it's true that there are good and bad in almost everything humans do...

#5 in rebounds per game
#11 in rebound margin
#42 in fast break points
#47 in scoring offense
#157 in field goal %

=====
#221 in scoring defense
#238 in 3-point shooting
#274 in 3-point defense
#310 in free throw %
😣

Last edited:
Seems it's true that there are good and bad in almost everything humans do...

#5 in rebounds per game
#11 in rebound margin
#42 in fast break points
#47 in scoring offense
#157 in field goal %

=====
#221 in scoring defense
#238 in 3-point shooting
#274 in 3-point defense
#310 in free throw %
😣
Coach Golden certainly healed our rebounding woe ( as he promised).

our depth up front is truly impressive. I like our perimeter players but we have not shot well or been smart with the ball at all. Golden seems like he has them playing the style he wants.

I think we have the talent to be a sweet 16 team or better, but if we don’t improve our shooting (free throws included) and stop throwing the ball all over the place we’ll be fighting for .500 in the SEC and be on the bubble once again.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT