ADVERTISEMENT

All staff related to DEI at UF just got fired...

Must've been some unhappy alum and donors that kids and family didn't get in to UF, raising hell........joking sort of

This seems super related to UF Athletics. Excellent job posting this here and not on the board specifically dedicated to these types of topics!

Do it right? Huh?
Yeah, I’m not opposed to the concept of diversity culturally it’s a good idea, but do you need 500 people in university office, no how about a couple of good anthropologist that truly understand culture and not just diversity.
That’s always a good idea. In my opinion.

DEI done “right”. I’m not sure what that would look like. I think when you have the right culture and people, it takes care of itself. It seems problematic to do DEI deliberately. I do hope they get it right.
Again, you shouldn’t shut your mind off to the concept of diversity. As an anthropologist, I can tell you that cultural diversity is valuable. But diversity shouldn’t be forced so much as taught, and not at the expensive one group over the other but with the concept of understanding each other’s cultural peculiarities to learn from each other. Surely you can admit that we can all learn from the subcultures within our own American culture.

This seems super related to UF Athletics. Excellent job posting this here and not on the board specifically dedicated to these types of topics!
This is a UF board full of fans and alumni that focuses primarily sports. Weird response.

Again, you shouldn’t shut your mind off to the concept of diversity. As an anthropologist, I can tell you that cultural diversity is valuable. But diversity shouldn’t be forced so much as taught, and not at the expensive one group over the other but with the concept of understanding each other’s cultural peculiarities to learn from each other. Surely you can admit that we can all learn from the subcultures within our own American culture.
Diversity of thought is a great thing. Diversity to just check boxes is not ...

lol cry more swamp people.
Ding Dong!! DEI is dead!! 😍

8eadfa33-6a7c-422a-b054-379a614cc967_text.gif

DEI done “right”. I’m not sure what that would look like. I think when you have the right culture and people, it takes care of itself. It seems problematic to do DEI deliberately. I do hope they get it right.
Can’t be done right. We should apply it to athletics and see how it works out. It’s the same exact premise when done on other levels. You just don’t see the disaster in front of your eyes like you would if it was applied to sports. But it’s still there.

Yeah, I’m not opposed to the concept of diversity culturally it’s a good idea, but do you need 500 people in university office, no how about a couple of good anthropologist that truly understand culture and not just diversity.
That’s always a good idea. In my opinion.
As long as they’re qualified. Then absolutely. Problem with DEI is that if you need the help, you’re not qualified to begin with. If you were, you’d just be hired on your merit.

Reactions: GatorTheo
Can’t be done right. We should apply it to athletics and see how it works out. It’s the same exact premise when done on other levels. You just don’t see the disaster in front of your eyes like you would if it was applied to sports. But it’s still there.
I have thought for many years that sports was about the perfect merit based entity whether you are white, black, asian, hispanic, etc where the best players play. But we are now seeing a disaster in front of our eyes with some application of diversity or incusion, not from a racial viewpoint, but from a trans viewpoint. In the quest for inclusion, look at the mess that women's sports has become by allowing biological men to compete and ruin women's sports.

I have thought for many years that sports was about the perfect merit based entity whether you are white, black, asian, hispanic, etc where the best players play. But we are now seeing a disaster in front of our eyes with some application of diversity or incusion, not from a racial viewpoint, but from a trans viewpoint. In the quest for inclusion, look at the mess that women's sports has become by allowing biological men to compete and ruin women's sports.
Good Lord man. You hit the nail on the head perfectly with this post.

Your first sentence is an interesting one. I’m not sure what I said that would suggest I shut my mind off to diversity. We probably would agree more than not on the topic. It seems with most DEI however you get to a point of how do you measure success? Then you inevitably land on some kind of quota based “forced” diversity for the sake of diversity. The ironic thing is that people sell diversity as good for business. But diversity of race doesn’t necessarily lead to diversity of thought, to imply otherwise opens up a really weird interpretation where you need to assume that people that might be of different races think differently, but at the end of the day it’s just your life experiences that shape your perspectives and outlooks.

I agree that everyone should consider their biases and make sure they don’t get stuck in a rut of just hiring people “like them”. However, there should be many factors considered and usually it’s just dumbed down.

Good.

The diversity of thought comments are silly to me. Why? Because no two people think alike on every issue, and I have never been asked political opinion on any interview.

So, what are we even talking about?

How does one determine diversity of thought?

Sounds to me like a Trojan horse/red herring.

Last edited:
Good.

The diversity of thought comments are silly to me. Why? Because no two people think alike on every issue, and I have never been asked political opinion on any interview.

So, what are we even talking about?

How does one determine diversity of thought?

Sounds to me like a Trojan horse/red herring.
Diversity of thought is kind of a tongue in cheek response to diversity based on ethnicity, as being a much superior type of diversity since it’s not based on skin color or gender or sexual preference.

So diversity of thought just basically means diversity not based on checking boxes .,.

Reactions: RussellCasse
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT