ADVERTISEMENT

Why is Mac not passing the ball down the field more?

Gator Fever

Bull Gator
Feb 13, 2008
In Mac's last 2 stops he had seasons where his QBs got the ball down the field pretty good and put up nice passing numbers. McElroy and the Colorado State QB averaged around 14 yards a completion under Mac some years.

Grier only averaged a little over 11 yards a completion last season and this year we dinked and dunked our way to a completion average under 9 yards in that first game. Do we not have the receivers to get the ball down the field better or is Mac just being too conservative? The O line cant explain not trying to attack down the field more entirely especially when you arent doing it even against outmanned opponents.

Last edited:
In Mac's last 2 stops he had seasons where his QBs got the ball down the field pretty good and put up nice passing numbers. McElroy and the Colorado State QB averaged around 14 yards a completion under Mac some years.

Grier only averaged a little over 11 yards a completion last season and this year we dinked and dunked our way to a completion average under 9 yards in that first game. Do we not have the receivers to get the ball down the field better or is Mac just being too conservative? The O line cant explain not trying to attack down the field more entirely especially when you arent doing it even against outmanned opponents.

I think that it's a combination of things...O Line, receivers, sometimes last year guys were open and Treon didn't see it or didn't have time. We threw the ball 44 times...that's a lot...I think as our offense develops we'll see more down the field passing.

The O-line performance was just so discouraging. It seems like this post-Chump OL rebuild is never going to be completed.

I was hopeful that some cream would rise to the top by now among all those 2/3 star guys Mac (necessarily) stockpiled in year 1, and that we'd just have some depth issues (not ideal, obviously), but man, there seems to be no silver lining for the starting unit, except for maybe Taylor if he can be serviceable as a true freshman.

Also, Fred Johnson looked so promising during the first few games last year - what happened?

Reactions: sadgator
You can't throw the ball downfield much if your oline can't provide some protection. We called some long passing plays and guys were open deep down the field against UMASS. The problem is Del Rio didn't have the time to get the ball there.

Watching the replay I would say in the 2nd half our QB got about as much time as you will see in most SEC games if you arent Bama.

The O-line performance was just so discouraging. It seems like this post-Chump OL rebuild is never going to be completed.

I was hopeful that some cream would rise to the top by now among all those 2/3 star guys Mac (necessarily) stockpiled in year 1, and that we'd just have some depth issues (not ideal, obviously), but man, there seems to be no silver lining for the starting unit, except for maybe Taylor if he can be serviceable as a true freshman.

Also, Fred Johnson looked so promising during the first few games last year - what happened?

Well it was a confused Ivey who about 3 times let a guy run right past him to the QB but he seemed to calm down some in the 2nd half. Yep Johnson does seem to have issues with the speedy pass rushers. I wonder if Taylor can handle them or not because when he came in they usually had a TE outside of him or were running the ball so he wasnt tested on that too much. If he can handle it maybe he should be starting.

OL isn't good enough to sustain a clean pocket long enough for deep routes to develop and the QB doesn't have the arm for it anyways.

One game with a fresh QB and some of you guys already called the season and ready to move on....Thats what I am reading from some of the post on this board...Give it a a game or two and you will see the offense open up more...Trust me, no, Trust Coach Mac on this...There are just a few things they have to tweak and work on from what I seen this past Saturday Night, they will get it going and whenever they do, it will be lights out...

Last edited:
Reactions: MJWilliamson
No o-line to provide the time.

I'm interested to see which direction they go because two remedies could be keeping the TE's and backs in to block but our two TE's are legitimately two of the best weapons in the passing game and would be wasted and our backs are also nice weapons in the passing game. So keeping them into block removes weapons we can't afford to lose because frankly outside of Calloway our receiving weapons are unproven and in some areas unspectacular.

So idk what you do as a coach in a scenario like that. Maybe try and roll the pocket or go to a quick passing game like we did against Umass but the better defenses are gonna swallow that up. And it makes matters worse because if a defense knows you have to throw short out of necessity they'll crowd the box which impacts your run game too.

Reactions: HardeeWildcatFan
LDR's arm isn't very strong and you could see that on some of the outs and posts we tried to run. But it won't be the difference between whether he succeeds or not...its strong enough. I don't like the Leak or Wuerful comparisons because they played in more wide open systems and they also had way more talented pass catchers than we have now to mitigate it. They were also at UF 20 and 10 years ago...the speed and complexity of defenses have changed a lot in the last few years. If arm strength wasn't important teams wouldn't measure it at every level, its better to have a QB with a stronger arm than not because it opens up defenses.

The O-line has been the main problem with lack of downfield passing for years. You can roll out the QB, but that takes away half the field. The top recruiting priority, year in and year out, MUST be to bring in 2-3 high quality offensive linemen. We'll never get back to elite status without that happening.

Why is Mac not passing the ball down the field more?

1. Cause he's the coach and not the QB. ;)

2. Cause it was the 1st game with a new QB, leading WR, TE, AND IT WAS IN THE FREAKIN' POURING RAIN! o_O

3. Cause a major part of the game plan went down for the season with an ACL on the opening kick-off.

4. Cause it was pretty much an opening day, a plain vanilla game plan to begin with.

5. Speculation -- Or maybe it is the subtle plan of the coaches to distract the game 2 & 4 opponents with the constant whining of the usual snivelers... :D jk :cool:

Reactions: gatorbuilderorlando
O-line, O-line, O-line. Unless you've got a guy that can hit those receivers in stride while taking a walloping, he's not going to be going down field much.

Buy a stopwatch, then re-watch the game while timing the plays. LDR often had plenty of time to throw the ball. Break downs do happen, but not on most of the plays.

Now toaddy-crim, what happened to your own vaulted OL in the first half of that Ole Miss game?

Buy a stopwatch, then re-watch the game while timing the plays. LDR often had plenty of time to throw the ball. Break downs do happen, but not on most of the plays.

Now toaddy-crim, what happened to your own vaulted OL in the first half of that Ole Miss game?
Make no mistake, our O-Line performed like free admission day at the carnival in the 1st half; Leonard especially. Hell, Winston even ripped their a$$es at half time. Fortunately, things worked out a bit better in the 2nd half, but there's still much work to be done.

One of your constituents pointed out that between our two teams, someone should be able to combine players and put together a decent line.

Prolly could do that. :confused:

But it gives me the heebie-geebies just thinking about any UF / reFSUcks combining.... (kinda like thinking about having sex with a reptilian) :D

I don't see the Gator O-line as being a bad as some here do, from what I saw in that 1st game. I would like to see some improvements from game 1 to game 2, or maybe some rotation/substitutions on certain plays, but I'm sure that the coaches are already working on some of that. We'll see.

Prolly could do that. :confused:

But it gives me the heebie-geebies just thinking about any UF / reFSUcks combining.... (kinda like thinking about having sex with a reptilian) :D

I don't see the Gator O-line as being a bad as some here do, from what I saw in that 1st game. I would like to see some improvements from game 1 to game 2, or maybe some rotation/substitutions on certain plays, but I'm sure that the coaches are already working on some of that. We'll see.

There was a little hope watching the condensed replay. Ivey was decent when the upstairs part didn't break down on a few plays. In the 2nd half Del Rio got the typical time you would see in most SEC games when it came to passing (but it was UMass) if you aren't Bama's QB. Johnson does struggle with those smaller speed guys however.

I am still viciously biting my tongue, trying to hold out with any serious criticisms until after game 4. I still believe that the coaches and players deserve a bit of lee-way to settle in.

Both starting OG's have,,, arrgggg! The 1st game soph CB muummp,,, damn near bit it off but I made it.... :D

Thomas Goldkamp ‏@ThomasGoldkamp 2h2 hours ago

#Gators now rank Top 10 nationally in five major statistical categories (one on offense!) - http://florida.247sports.com/Bolt/Florida-ranks-Top-10-nationally-in-five-categories-47424595…

CsLYsDrUEAAsd1I.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT