ADVERTISEMENT

Football What does Napier do now with the Lagway situation?

Gator Fever

Bull Gator
Feb 13, 2008
Curious to see how Napier handles things now. I think reality just smacked him in the face pretty hard.

Mertz got a concussion late in the game so he could miss the Samford game for precautionary reasons but I think Napier needs to give almost the entire game to Lagway to get him the reps even if the medical staff does clear Mertz.

A&M looks kind of like last season - a pretty good defense but a poor offense who had no answer for the blitzing of ND. Start Mertz and see how we do against them in the Swamp. If we lose that game he has a decision to make because Miss State and UCF will be the only 2 teams left where that teams defense isn't a pretty bad matchup for us.

If we know the season is lost after an A&M loss I think it's much better to insert Lagway @ Miss State and try to build him up some than for him to be demolished against someone like Georgia. I think even KY would be a bad game to do it in. I think we also have a bye week before the UCF game.

As far as the defense it looks pretty bad. We have no one apparently that can pressure the QB so only blitzing would do that but we are so lost that there is a good chance we might get burned any time we do blitz.

Last edited:
Until proven otherwise, I'm of the opinion that this show is over and we might as well start planning for the next one. I was a pretty big Mertz supporter but his limitations are pretty obvious, especially if he's going to play in this train wreck offense. What are we even trying to do? We can't run or complete high percentage plays. When we try to throw deep, nobody's open and Mertz misses the guy anyway. And run or pass, we can't block it.

Actually, the only reason I can think of not to go to Lagway is we'll get him killed playing in this offense. It's not even the line's fault, our offensive coaches just don't know what they're doing. Three years in and we don't know how to block anyone. We've got guys pulling and running around all over the place, meanwhile defenders are coming loose from everywhere.

Until proven otherwise, I'm of the opinion that this show is over and we might as well start planning for the next one. I was a pretty big Mertz supporter but his limitations are pretty obvious, especially if he's going to play in this train wreck offense. What are we even trying to do? We can't run or complete high percentage plays. When we try to throw deep, nobody's open and Mertz misses the guy anyway. And run or pass, we can't block it.

Actually, the only reason I can think of not to go to Lagway is we'll get him killed playing in this offense. It's not even the line's fault, our offensive coaches just don't know what they're doing. Three years in and we don't know how to block anyone. We've got guys pulling and running around all over the place, meanwhile defenders are coming loose from everywhere.

Yep I think the only chance to produce at all with this train wreck is with a QB that is a running threat himself on RPOs. Lagway already has the build at least but this is definitely not a good situation for a true freshman QB to take over either. It would be something if he was able to come in and lead us to 5 wins.

Any plan or any ideas really are worthless when you truly are the worst Oline and d line on your entire division 1-A schedule. To be that pathetic up front in year three really shows this isn’t going to improve. This team is soft and they are pretenders.

From the strength and conditioning coaches to every position coach to each coordinator this staff is completely lost.

Just watch #70 on the INT. His effort in pass prot and his effort running down the Miami DB says it all.

I'm concerned that Lagway would get killed behind this offensive line. But Lagway should get all the snaps against Samford, or at least all until the game is clearly at hand. Mertz should sue our 2 offensive line coaches.

Reactions: Gator Fever
Any plan or any ideas really are worthless when you truly are the worst Oline and d line on your entire division 1-A schedule. To be that pathetic up front in year three really shows this isn’t going to improve. This team is soft and they are pretenders.

From the strength and conditioning coaches to every position coach to each coordinator this staff is completely lost.

Just watch #70 on the INT. His effort in pass prot and his effort running down the Miami DB says it all.
Exactly. Amateurs always want to point to QB, but it doesn't matter with this Oline and doesn't matter with this dline.

Exactly. Amateurs always want to point to QB, but it doesn't matter with this Oline and doesn't matter with this dline.
Doesn't matter with this coach. Every great coach figures it out quickly. All of the other talk doesn't matter. We looked like another unprepared team, year 3. He's not the right guy and he will never be but a .500 coach at this level.

Doesn't matter with this coach. Every great coach figures it out quickly. All of the other talk doesn't matter. We looked like another unprepared team, year 3. He's not the right guy and he will never be but a .500 coach at this level.

I think Mertz is very limited which he showed in the 1st half. We see why he was checkdown Charlie last season as he can't make the good throws downfield usually. I think you can count on your hands the times he connects with a WR in stride or places a ball where the WR has a decent chance of getting it. Mertz wants stuff where the WR will come to a stop. No reason not to try and give Lagway experience now.

Reactions: SwampMaster

Well Napier is proving he is a moron in public relations also. That is stuff only winning coaches have the power to say.

What does Napier do now?​

Figure out how to spend the next 4 years with his $25 million or so in buyout money!

Bradley, you need to review this information before continuing on that line of thinking....

Bradley, you need to review this information before continuing on that line of thinking....

I don’t know what MSN’s top statisticians pulled out of that game but we were dead for three quarters except one big run. We can’t block at all.

However I do agree that you might as well play Lagway at this point. Mertz can’t throw downfield and this offense is not going to put together error free 12-play drives. Changes fan perception as well. People will be more patient and if he flashes, they’ll be more willing to keep Napier around to keep him.

If I’m CBN, Lagway is the best thing I’ve done in two years in Gainesville. Roll with it.

I don’t know what MSN’s top statisticians pulled out of that game but we were dead for three quarters except one big run. We can’t block at all.

However I do agree that you might as well play Lagway at this point. Mertz can’t throw downfield and this offense is not going to put together error free 12-play drives. Changes fan perception as well. People will be more patient and if he flashes, they’ll be more willing to keep Napier around to keep him.

If I’m CBN, Lagway is the best thing I’ve done in two years in Gainesville. Roll with it.
Click on the provided link and you'll find that it's (PFF) Pro Football Focus that did the evaluations, not MSN....

• Wow
Mertz probably doesn’t play this weekend. so if Lagway looks good, Mertz will have a very short leash against aTm.

JMOHO's as always, but Mertz should never play another down for UF.
He should never have been brought in here to begin with over the HS recruit, (that got lied to imo) before getting smart and hitting the xfer portal outta here...

The only MAYBE benefit of the current HC is Layway, IF he remains anyway...
OC Napier doesn't seem competent enough to use and get the most out of any dual threat QB.

Last edited:
Lane Train
🚂

Last edited:
Lagway loves Kiffin and Lane would put together a great staff, and our offense with DJ would be great, but I sure do love going to Ole Miss and watch his offense hum so I need him to stay in Oxford for at least the next 4 years. Who knows Lane might get DJ next year when Napier and Jaxson Dart leaves their programs.

Lagway loves Kiffin and Lane would put together a great staff, and our offense with DJ would be great, but I sure do love going to Ole Miss and watch his offense hum so I need him to stay in Oxford for at least the next 4 years. Who knows Lane might get DJ next year when Napier and Jaxson Dart leaves their programs.

Never complain about someone's else's choices unless you're willing to put forward your own choice, so here it is.

After retiring as a Pro player, Bell returned to Florida and became a high school football coach, leading Trinity High School in Ocala to their first state football championship in 2005

Bell served three seasons as the HC/OC at Valdosta State where he guided the offense. He led the Blazers to a 27-7 record during his tenure including a school-record 15 straight victories, two Division II playoff appearances, and won both a conference and a national championship in 2018.

I wanted Kerwin as HC when they hired the flaky McLame.

Then Western Carolina HC Kerwin Bell has helped propel the Catamounts into national relevance in the FCS, tapping into his Florida Gator roots. Bell became the head football coach at Western Carolina in 2021. The Catamounts had not won more than three games for several seasons until Bell led them to their first winning record in six years in 2022.

Forget the Lame Kitten and hire another former Gator QB/Player as the new HC/OC for the Gators.
It worked pretty good the 1st time around (SOS).....

With Kerwin as HC/OC and Lagway at QB, Florida might get it's 4th Heisman QB....

Last edited:
I just can't believe that after how horrible the oline was last year that Napier did nothing, absolutely nothing to improve it. They were one of the worst units in the league, and I actually think they are even worse this year. Lagway, Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, won't matter. When you can't block there is no offense. Amateur hour once again...

I just can't believe that after how horrible the oline was last year that Napier did nothing, absolutely nothing to improve it. They were one of the worst units in the league, and I actually think they are even worse this year. Lagway, Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, won't matter. When you can't block there is no offense. Amateur hour once again...
And here's yet another 'know-it-all' that has failed to review the PPF evaluation of the game and the Gator's OL.

Offensive Line​

Pass Blocking​

Somewhat surprisingly, Florida's offensive line received mostly strong grades in pass protection. Left tackle Austin Barber, center Jake Slaughter and Damieon George Jr. all finished with a grade of 82.4 or higher in pass-blocking situations.

So why did things look so bad whenever Mertz dropped back to throw?

Look no further than the right tackle position to find the culprit(s). There were murmurs that the right side of the line wasn't set at the end of fall camp, and Billy Napier surprised many by naming Kamryn Waites the starter over San Diego State transfer Brandon Crenshaw-Dickson. Both struggled on Saturday.

Waites earned a 0.0 grade as a pass blocker, which is almost unheard of. It means he was out of place completely, and the guy was on the field for 19 snaps. Crenshaw-Dickson didn't do much better, finishing the day with a 55.1 grade over 18 snaps.

This kind of play is unacceptable in the SEC, and something has to change quickly. Either someone steps up, or it's time to give Devon Manuel, who earned a 70.4 over 10 snaps at left tackle.

Sophomore Knijeah Harris also struggled in pass protection at left guard (52.0), but there isn't as much concern for the first-year starter just yet.

This loss goes on the HC/OC Napier/Mertz combo, not that a few others didn't contribute to the loss.

We need to play Lagway and hope he doesn't leave. Our boosters can buy some legit OTs for 2025.

PFF nailed it. Only 1 of our offensive lineman graded as average, Barber. 1 other gets a slightly below average mark. The other 2 graded out below average, and 1 graded out as replaceable. I was surprised to see Mertz actually graded out at 95% on mid range throws, but overall he had his worst game since 2021.

You do understand how to read that right? Only Barber graded out as above average, and 1 other lineman with a slightly below average at 62. The other 3 starting lineman all graded out as replaceable with one actually receiving a grade of 0. So basically, the article is pointing how bad the oline played.

PFF nailed it. Only 1 of our offensive lineman graded, the center. 1 other gets a solid average mark. The other 2 graded out below average, and 1 graded out as replaceable. I was surprised to see Mertz actually graded out at 95% on mid range throws, but overall he had his worst game since 2021.

We have a big issue on the right side.

We need to play Lagway and hope he doesn't leave. Our boosters can buy some legit OTs for 2025.
No, we need to hope he's not injured behind this line. How do you score a 0?

Left tackle Austin Barber, center Jake Slaughter and Damieon George Jr.
all 3 finished with a grade of 82.4 or higher in pass-blocking situations.
A 65.0 or higher is a good performance by the PFF College standards.

The starting RT Kamryn Waites started and blew a 0.0 on his 19 snaps. ---.>> WTF???
Then Crenshaw-Dickson finishing the day with a 55.1 grade over 18 snaps.
Devon Manuel, who earned a 70.4 over 10 snaps at left tackle.

This goes back to the clueless HC knowing who the best player at the position is.
Next game Manuel needs to start at RT it seems to me.

Sophomore Knijeah Harris also struggled some in pass protection at left guard (52.0), but there isn't as much concern for the first-year starter just yet.

I wouldn't want to put Lagway behind this group. We saw him very limited, but he looks like a confident kid, good release, with ability to run. Get Kerwin Bell in here and let's get this kid coached up.

I wouldn't want to put Lagway behind this group. We saw him very limited, but he looks like a confident kid, good release, with ability to run. Get Kerwin Bell in here and let's get this kid coached up.
Putting the lead-foot glass chin sack king behind that OL is not a good thing.
Notably, quarterback Graham Mertz had the second-worst offensive grade of the day (42.4), and it's hard to win without good quarterback play. Lagway had the ONLY sustained drive for a TD vs the scUM.

While QB-dt 6-4 240 Lagway is exactly the one to put behind that improved OL.

And getting a HC/OC like Bell to run a Lagway offense is exactly what's needed.
I wanted the 'Throwin' Mayoin' when they hired the flaky McLame, and even more so now....

Reactions: NavigatorII
Putting the lead-foot glass chin sack king behind that OL is not a good thing.
Notably, quarterback Graham Mertz had the second-worst offensive grade of the day (42.4), and it's hard to win without good quarterback play. Lagway had the ONLY sustained drive for a TD vs the scUM.

While QB-dt 6-4 240 Lagway is exactly the one to put behind that improved OL.

And getting a HC/OC like Bell to run a Lagway offense is exactly what's needed.
I wanted the 'Throwin' Mayoin' when they hired the flaky McLame, and even more so now....
I don't want him to get hurt. I think Napier or both of his offensive line coaches should line up at QB and see how they like it. By the way, PFF also said Mertz had roughly 2.48 seconds to throw, which last season would have ranked 128th out of 131 teams.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT