ADVERTISEMENT

What are your TWO keys to a successful season?

cmgator

Gator Great
Gold Member
Aug 14, 2002
Mine are:
1. Getting through fall camp with no key injuries.
2. Beating miami.

We are finally at a point where we have the talent and experience to compete with just about anybody. Our issue is depth. Last year we lost key players like, Pyburn, Boone, Goodwin, Kingsley, Barber and Moore to either injury or personal issues during fall camp. We have to get out of fall camp with very few key players getting hurt. We are not at a place where we can plug in a quality player if one of our key contributors goes down. This is our achilles heel but we are getting better depth.

As far as key wins this year, it starts and ends with scum for me. Like it or not, the kids (recruits) listen to other coaches and the media. Both Billy and mario are on a very warm seat. Whoever wins that game will be seen in a different light. Whoever loses will hear from the media that the heat just went up. Miami is ranked top 25 so this also gives us an early quality win. This will impact recruiting as we are both going for a lot of the same kids. My two scenarios based on winning or losing versus um are as follows:

Beat UM and we have confidence and momentum heading into the easy part of our schedule. We will be either 6-1 or 7-0 heading into georgia week with a possible loss coming to ut or texas a&m.

Lose to scum and we are suddenly having to dig out of a hole. Concerns will bubble up, the team and coaches will be more on edge and Billy's hot seat will be front and center. I think we will be at best 5-2 heading into georgia week if that happens.

What I like about this is that we will know my two keys to a good season fairly quick. Let's Go Gators!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.